No Homo?

Options

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I've never used the phrase. It is just another annoying, faddish saying.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    this is gay (no homo)
    Strong biceps. /no homo
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I hate pineapples (no homo)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Are the majority of guys on this site so insecure with their sexuality that if they compliment another guy, they have to end the comment with "no homo"? As a gay guy, I find this kind of insulting. As if being gay is something I should be ashamed of and requires a disclaimer. Yes homo.
    The origin came from a rap song. There are so many tags that people use. /no stalker, /no homo, /no racist.

Stop getting upset over nothing.
  • apg2302
    apg2302 Posts: 667
    Options
    I'm not insecure in my sexuality at all, but traditionally you don't compliment another guy. It's just a hangover from a still evolving primarily stereotypically masculine world. This isn't going to change any time soon, so get used to it :)
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Wow the thread is still alive ? To be crazy with you, the issue is not sexual insecurity but fear. Fear is a learned behaviour. Hate names evolve due to fear, to catagorize those who should be feared. After a time the "reason" for fear is lost but the fear continues.
    One of the reasons for fear is that gay men were once branded as pedophiles. Hence gay men were considered evil and should be feared. Fear gets past down by parents and friends. Saying someone is homophobic is one way of dealing with someone who fears you or hates you. So some "straights" fear you and some "gays" fear straights. As the fear continues as evident in the name calling nothing gets resolved. The issue is not sexuality but how to aleviate legacy fear and get on with living. One of the ways is not to take it personal. Once you take it personal, you are under control of that person's fear of you, and the fear becomes reinforced.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Maybe they were jealous of the bones from your shower tile...keep you head up and do not sweat it...I have seen many things said and mentioned on here that are just plain dumb or offensive.

YOU DA MAN!
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    still laughing at "no hobo".
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Irony.
    Says he's not racist. Posts racist joke.

irony,
    says joke is racist, doesnt understand what the word racist means.

I'd say jingoist or xenophobic or even anti-semitic but I want to make sure you get it.

In the common-day parlance, "racist" has become the cognitive synonym of those terms for this type of attempted humor at the cost of a social/ethnic group. Your example is racist in that sense. To try to worm your way out of it is at best a "no true dutchman" fallacy - no joke is truly racist by the tightest definition of racism if it doesn't specifically speak about races, it's still an attempt to get a chuckle (a poor one) by the denigration of an cultural minority or ethnic group.

In case you can't get that and need simple definitions, here you go: your joke is offensive.

Clearly missing the point of the joke...

Just so you are clear let me spell it out - the joke sets up as if it is a racist joke with the expected outcome being one of making light of some dead Arab people. It then flips it, drawing attention to one's original assumption and making us question our own ideas and prejudices.

The only person who should be offended by that joke is the hardcore racist.
    I agree that the joke was not offensive.

Racism isn't always negative, but it's always stupid. Easiest example: "I like black people". That is a racist statement because it makes the assumption that a group of people are all similar.

Everybody does it to one degree or another, but whenever you treat people like a member of a class instead of an individual, you're engaging in "racism".
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Irony.
    Says he's not racist. Posts racist joke.

irony,
    says joke is racist, doesnt understand what the word racist means.

I'd say jingoist or xenophobic or even anti-semitic but I want to make sure you get it.

In the common-day parlance, "racist" has become the cognitive synonym of those terms for this type of attempted humor at the cost of a social/ethnic group. Your example is racist in that sense. To try to worm your way out of it is at best a "no true dutchman" fallacy - no joke is truly racist by the tightest definition of racism if it doesn't specifically speak about races, it's still an attempt to get a chuckle (a poor one) by the denigration of an cultural minority or ethnic group.

In case you can't get that and need simple definitions, here you go: your joke is offensive.

Clearly missing the point of the joke...

Just so you are clear let me spell it out - the joke sets up as if it is a racist joke with the expected outcome being one of making light of some dead Arab people. It then flips it, drawing attention to one's original assumption and making us question our own ideas and prejudices.

The only person who should be offended by that joke is the hardcore racist.

That joke has its source from the old well known and often repeated "What do you call 10 xxx (lawyers, etc) at the bottom of the ocean. A good start."

But sure, an attempt to create a "gotcha" moment using the contiguity of racist elements to poke fun at what might be internalized racist prejudices or just simply the way language works - rote and formula are part of speech patterns.

It does draw attention to those - but I'm doubting it questions anything.

If the joke was never finished and and just left to hang with the question, I'd still call it racist. It doesn't get a free pass from the de-escalated punchline - given that the visual image one creates with the set-up is contextual.
  • zoose
    zoose Posts: 10
    Options
    I wouldnt diminish OP's point to simply PC whining or needless complaining. Sometimes its important for people to consider how others might perceive their seemingly lighthearted jokes, and why they might consider it offensive. Empathy is a good starting point for change. 'No homo' really is somewhat dehumanizing, and a complete buzzkill, no matter how lighthearted the
    motives. Hard to not take it personal when a joke relies on the premise that there is something inherently wrong with you.

If guys feel uncomfortable with people they arent attracted to complimenting them, maybe they should consider how women feel every day with the creepy stares, whistles, and cat calls. Could you imagine thinking "If I compliment this girl, at the very least Ill get decked, and at worst tied to a fence post and left to die." This is the daily reality for plenty of homos, and the result of the prejudice the 'joke' is based on.
  • NatWillBeSkinny
    NatWillBeSkinny Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i slightly know how u feel with this like when people talk about other people and call them small n fat or humpa lumpas i get " oh no offence nat" i meen why wud i take offence do they think that i think i look like a humpa lump, some people jsut dont think before they say things! and have a ignorance about them
  • Food4Fuel
    Food4Fuel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're proud you're gay. Frankly I couldn't care less either way. Im straight and you're gay. You "yes homo" me "no homo." If you commented on a girls photo and felt the need to clarify you were gay It wouldn't upset me. If I comment on a guys photo and feel the need to clarify I'm straight why should it upset you? Let's save getting worked up for real life problems. In the meantime, I hope everyone enjoys the view from their high horse of political correctness.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I appreciate the /no homo

My ex husband was a homo and I was his beard. Had he /homo'd, I wouldn't have wasted many years!
  • zoose
    zoose Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm glad you're proud you're gay. Frankly I couldn't care less either way. Im straight and you're gay. You "yes homo" me "no homo." If you commented on a girls photo and felt the need to clarify you were gay It wouldn't upset me. If I comment on a guys photo and feel the need to clarify I'm straight why should it upset you? Let's save getting worked up for real life problems. In the meantime, I hope everyone enjoys the view from their high horse of political correctness.

Its not about political correctness. The 'need' for this clarification is based on the fear of being perceived that particular way. This fear or insecurity is the basis of the joke, which depend on the idea that there is something inherently wrong with being perceived that way. So the need for clarification is based on the idea that there is something wrong with "yes homo." This prejudice has resulted in tons of violent attacks on people, and it is no inconsequential matter of political correctness. The fear of being assaulted is a daily reality for lots of homos, in situations you would never even consider that possibility. Its completely dehumanizing. It is not a trivial matter.

It is upsetting because when you make that clarification, you are saying that there is something inherently wrong with *me*. Im sure plenty of guys here compliment the success of women on here theyd never consider being attracted to. The difference is you don't feel compelled to point out how you are not attracted to them every time you do so.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Coming from the guy who said fake boobs are a bait and switch?! REALLY?! :tongue:

Believe it! I can still flirt with the ladies, just don't expect to come home with me.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You rock!!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

'Then why use it' - as I said - to acknowledge the comedy of a statement that can be taken in another way like a double entendre. Much like "that's what she said" or "said the actress to the bishop".

Also - if we assume the comment is made seriously, and not as a joke (at no one's expense). Just because my view on homosexuality is neutral, that doesn't mean that I would necessarily want people to think that I was homosexual. Especially if I had paid a complement to a person and thought they may take it in the sense that it was a sexual advance. That would be embarrassing. Similarly; I don't hate women, but I would be upset if a person thought I was a woman.

Similarly, I would expect that a homosexual person would, whilst probably not bothered much either way in most circumstances, not want to be thought of as heterosexual - particularly in circumstances where it could change people's perceptions of the comments they are making. i.e. sexual advance vs genuine compliment.

Those are all fair points but it does not detract from the fact that a person could simply use other language to convey their embarrassment that the man in question may think you are making a sexual advance. Why do this? Tying the making of a sexual advance to the words "no homo" when you are intending to make a compliment instead of saying "I'm not hitting on you dude so keep your pants on" for example is problematic.

It is a (much) more diluted form of the idea that somehow gay people are "different" (other than sexual orientation of course ;) and unable to control their urges. The more extreme versions of course are the way conversations can turn to bestiality when discussing if homosexuality is natural or paedophilia when discussing gay people adopting.

Our minds work by association, on many levels unconscious, and sometimes ideas are insidious - they creep in and take root. Perpetuating a negative association, while it may not be intended at all, will impact more on a group who are traditionally more oppressed than the group which is in a dominant position or one of power.

Simply because a person does not intend to cause harm by making a "joke" does not mean it will not happen (even though it may not be direct of course)
  • GritsOnTits
    Options
    Someone is always going to be butthurt.

No homo
  • Food4Fuel
    Food4Fuel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ok fair, and I see your point. I just think its a bit of an assumption that simpling saying "no homo" is rooted in insecurities about sexual identity when it could very likely be and most likely is a way to more comfortably cross a cultural norm of how 2 straight men communicate. In Africa 2 straight men hold hands and jog together but it would be odd for me to grab my friends hand in the mall in America and go on my way, he might think it was odd. This has nothing to do with sexual identity, but rather invading a personal boundary that exists in the culture I grew up in. There is a clear distinction. I would say if it makes someone uncomfortable than why not simply cater to that person, but everything makes someone uncomfortable and in some cases it seems people simply like to stir the pot if you will. For the record I don't think I've ever even used the term, I just get tired of people reading so deeply into everything these days when some things should just be taken for face value.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm not insecure in my sexuality at all, but traditionally you don't compliment another guy. It's just a hangover from a still evolving primarily stereotypically masculine world. This isn't going to change any time soon, so get used to it :)
    Well, if we get used to it, it certainly isn't going to change any time soon. That seems pretty counter-productive.