Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    i think i may be getting the hang of being on track again.......
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone.:heart: I am getting worked up a bit about the “procedure,” and tell myself I’ve had a good life, longer than most. Feeling very mortal lately. Lots of nice folks, better than me, losing the battle. Doesn’t help when I get a call saying my share of tomorrow’s cardiac mapping is $967, and this is just prep for the “procedure.”

Spent the afternoon with 10 and 11-year old girls—picnic at the park, jump rope (I was the official rope turner and chanter—you know, “Teddy bear, teddy bear, turn around….”) and wrestled with some brownie bites. Sheesh! Stay away from Costco if you want to maintain some control. That place is full of landmines—samples, a lifetime supply of chocolate covered something-or-others, pastries, a barrel of nuts, dried fruit, etc., etc. Went in there to buy rolls, brownie bites for picnic, and toilet paper and came out $200 poorer. 90 minutes lost to retail therapy.

Committing to getting in my 30 minutes of cardio NOW. You all are my witnesses.

Kah: What is a recumbent elliptical? I ride a recumbent bike and use an elliptical (EFX). Trying to figure out how to do both at once! Recently saw something called Jacob’s Ladder at the gym and want to try it but was afraid of being mauled. Take care of that Achilles.

Desdemina: I want your scale.

Tom: Thanks for the reassurance. I am a chicken “buck, buck, buuuuuck!” Let me know how your results turn out.

Robin: How I wish it was my 50th birthday. More like 64, but in my head I’m only 30.

Have a terrific Tuesday, folks.
  • kris1085
    kris1085 Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    My goals for this week is to log onto this board at least 5 tiimes a week ! Everyone s doing an amazing job !
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    Well I had an extra dayoff woke up through the night with the worst stomach ache that I ever had but ad my arms were hurting and back despise this must be some sort of bug.

Been sleeping mostly but hope to be on the mend by morning.

@Kah that isn't question to I have been on a recumbent bike but not sure what a recumbent elliptical is?

@Lin I use measuring cups and spoons etc but haven't bought a scale yet. I know it would help. Like you say another way of keeping it honest.
    @Happy Birthday GrammyWhammy

Well I am going to take a break now be back later.

Liz from Caldwell, Idaho
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello again,

@walkingqueen. Congrats on.moving up to level 5
    @Robin that sounds like such a hard workout.
    @Kaye I think a food processor is a great gift. I just haven't had the opportunity to use mind as much as I had hope.

That is yet for now I wish everyone a good Tuesday.

Liz
  • KBrodzen1022
    Options
    Hello all!! I was wondering if I could join this thread and meet women or (men- didn't see many) just like me!! I have been a yoyo dieter for years.. and I need to STOP!! It is nice to meet all of you... please add me as I will try my best to be a motivator and supporter!!
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am having a great time having the hubby home. We have been spending every minute together and it has been wonderful. I am starting to see our relationship evolving in to post kid raising. I was a little nervous about this transistion but I have to say I think we are enjoying each other a lot more now that we can focus on us more then the kids. I went and got a haircut today. Same style just got it all trimmed up. I wish I could do it myself but it is so thick there are just many layers that need to go into it. I am thinking about getting a light perm to bump my waves up to light curls. I am a very low maintenance type of person so hair style has to be wash and wear. I am happy with the way I am meeting my goals right now. I am at or under calories nine times out of ten and have actually staarted to get the exercise into a bit of a routine. So now it is time to just keep it going. I hope everyone has a great evening. C ya tomorrow :bigsmile:
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Made it through a Spinning class tonight, talk about fat crying - I was drenched when I got out of there! :laugh: I couldn't do a lot of the climbing intervals because of the stress it was putting on my Achilles, so just turned up the resistance and did those intervals sitting. I loved the guy that led the class and it was my type of music - now I sit here with ice on my Achilles.

@Marsha & Liz~The recumbent elliptical is just like a regular elliptical only it has a seat similar to the seat on a recumbent bike - although more adjustable. The models my gym has are by Octane Fitness, the foot pedals and arms are the same as their regular jogging elliptical.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @liz & marsha--I believe this is what kelley is talking about with the recumbent elliptical:

http://www.nustep.com/

I used one when I was doing PT for my knee last spring. Correct me if I'm wrong, kelley. :smile:

@those talking about using a food scale--I use mine everyday and don't envision ever stopping. Like Lin, I'm pretty good at eyeing portions now, but I only do so to test myself. The only time I don't measure is when I'm eating out and can't.

Welcome to the newlings!! :flowerforyou:

@kris & ksea--glad to see you both back!

@lin--glad you are getting some sunshine--that means it's probably on its way here next!

@des--that's so funny about your scale! :laugh: I hope you get into your black outfit--I remember really liking that one when you posted your pics awhile back.

@robin--layla is very cute!

@kaye--that's nice that your family gave you the present early so you can get more use out of it.

Well, I didn't get any more of my grading done today. Had a meeting with my department chair during one of my opens, and had to do some prep work for my Advanced Grammar class. The meeting with my boss was good--found out we got a 5th section of Senior AP next year. My teammate and I have each taught 2 sections the past few years, but some years those sections were really full at 30 kids each. :noway: This year my boss fought to get them to add another section vs. cramming all the kids into 4 sections. My Advanced Grammar elective will only run one semester next year, so my choices were to take a 3rd AP and give up Adv Grammar or keep Grammar one semester and learn a whole new prep for the other semester. I opted for the 3rd AP section. It will be a lot of grading, but since the numbers will be lower in each class, it shouldn't be too bad. I have mixed feelings about giving up the Grammar course. It can be really boring some days, but I've worked really hard to build the curriculum. I feel like I FINALLY got it all worked out, and now I won't be teaching it. :ohwell:

Grading goals:
    1. 13/16 punctuation tests DONE (just waiting for 3 make ups)
    2. x/16 writing assignments
    3. 5/10 JRPs
    4. x/11 AP analysis activities
    5. 16/16 Vocab quizzes DONE

My meeting ran until 5:30, but since it was still light out, I took gunner for a walk when I got home. I also just finished my core work.

Sat--gym DONE = walk gunner DONE
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + core DONE
    Mon--walk gunner NOT DONE (rainy) + gym DONE
    Tues--core DONE + walk gunner DONE
    Wed--walk gunner + core
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym
    Fri--walk gunner

March challenges- In Like a lamb- out like a lion
    1. do core routine at least 3x week (wk 1 = 1/3) (wk 2 = 2/3)
    2. add upright rows and shoulder presses to my core routine (wk 1 = 3 sets of 15 reps each) (wk 2 = 3 sets of 15 reps each)
    3. increase hold time for planks (wk 1: regular forearm = 40 sec. and straight-arm side planks = 45 sec.) (wk 2: regular forearm = 60 sec.+ 50 sec. and forearm side planks = 25 sec.+ 25 sec.)
    4. increase push up reps (wk 1 = 14) (wk 2 = 15 + 15)
  • kah68
    Options
    @liz & marsha--I believe this is what kelley is talking about with the recumbent elliptical:

http://www.nustep.com/

Yes, exactly. You really do get a great workout on them, just need to crank up the resistance - I tried it for the first time last week when Achilles became an issue, really took the stress off of it.

Totally spent, headed to bed. :yawn: See you all on the flip side. :bigsmile:
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Kah- Take the time to rest your knee and the achilles. It will be a much longer recovery if it snaps or breaks. Try an ice-heat-ice combination as well. With all the sprains and strains that I have suffered, I tend to go my chiropractor the most- he as this great laser therapy machine. The laser treatment in conjunction with the electrical stimulation really helps the muscles to heal faster. It may be worth looking into for you as well.

Goals- I reduced my calories to see how that goes and if I can get the scale to move down again. I like losing inches but I would love the see the numbers drop as well. Today, I ate to much food by my choice- snacks at school, then out to dinner to night. I think my body was making up for the huge burn yesterday. Tomorrow, I will go back to being good.
  • vickimieth
    vickimieth Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    ok, what is it about 190 that just won't let me pass?
    Does the bloody scale think it's Gandalf or something????
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    ok, what is it about 190 that just won't let me pass?
    Does the bloody scale think it's Gandalf or something????

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think you just had a brilliant marketing idea! A scale that says "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" in Sir Ian's voice.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Getting ready for bed, but first I'm having a talk with gunner. For the past few nights he's been waking us up at 3:30 or 4 am crying and barking at *something* outside. I'm sure it's a rabbit or a fox or a bear and he's just trying to protect us (JK about the bear, but he's so dramatic you'd think it was that much of a threat). Anyway, I've patiently explained to gunner that if he keeps up this nonsense, Mom will be very cranky from a lack of sleep. He listened attentively and kissed my nose, so I think we are in agreement that there'll be no shenanigans tonight. :wink:
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    First day of 1200 calories - but went over and had 1568 calories. Not much, but not a great start. Got groceries today so there was one temptation - a bag of white oreos. I'm thinking about a food scale, but I don't "cook" that much. I mean, like I never use my oven, and the only thing I use the stove top for is eggs or rice! :laugh:
    I eat the same thing, day in and day out, eggs, or bacon, or bagel for late breakfast (Which I need to change back to my old standbye: a strawberry and banana and protein shake) then a Healthy Choice or Lean cuisine Frozen dinner with extra frozen veggies.Or fish and rice and veggies. Or a tuna fish sandwich on wheat bread with light mayo and pickle. I eat assorted fiber bars for snacks, or I'll dole out one pkg. of cookies over a weeks time. Portion sizes and calories are pre-posted for everything. I don't know what I'd be weighing. I measure the skim milk I drink in the evenings, and the Baileys I drink on the weekends. Am I missing something? :blushing:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    First day of 1200 calories - but went over and had 1568 calories. Not much, but not a great start. Got groceries today so there was one temptation - a bag of white oreos. I'm thinking about a food scale, but I don't "cook" that much. I mean, like I never use my oven, and the only thing I use the stove top for is eggs or rice! :laugh:
    I eat the same thing, day in and day out, eggs, or bacon, or bagel for late breakfast (Which I need to change back to my old standbye: a strawberry and banana and protein shake) then a Healthy Choice or Lean cuisine Frozen dinner with extra frozen veggies.Or fish and rice and veggies. Or a tuna fish sandwich on wheat bread with light mayo and pickle. I eat assorted fiber bars for snacks, or I'll dole out one pkg. of cookies over a weeks time. Portion sizes and calories are pre-posted for everything. I don't know what I'd be weighing. I measure the skim milk I drink in the evenings, and the Baileys I drink on the weekends. Am I missing something? :blushing:

Robin--I don't cook that much either, but I weigh the mayo I put on my bread, or the almonds for my snack. Even dry goods that tell you portions aren't always accurate. For example, Tostitos say "about 7 chips" in a serving. But they're often broken, so it's hard to count out a perfect 7 chips. It's much more accurate to weigh out the 28 g/1 oz serving. When I'm weighing condiments like mayo, butter, pb, etc., I tare the scale with the bread or tuna or whatever I'm adding it to. That way I'm just weighing the mayo (or whatever). It's a lot more accurate than using measuring spoons.
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I was gonna do personal responses, but I've been absent since Thursday, there's 6 pages in 2 threads to remember, and my brain is currently feeling like overcooked oatmeal (post-call, which Vickie will understand).

So... hugs all around.

I am seriously thinking that I need to look into personal training again to get me off my butt. Had another wretched food choice weekend, an okay Monday (on-call is usually good, as I bring my own food and it tends to be BistroMD meals). Today was straight-up comfort food, though. Which I'd better log, so I can face myself about why the scale keeps going in the wrong direction.

Tuesday goal: to ratchet carbs down below 200g daily for the next week. Not an easy thing with recent patterns.

Robin, I keep wondering who that dog is. Then I remember that you changed your avi. :)
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Wed. wish: to get back to the gym, been hard to get t here since I've been home from vacation..
    also, to 'survive' oral surgery this morning....doctor is giving me a valium...never had one before, so should be interesting..lots of painkillers too, KInd of scared!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Sorry I did not get to read through and comment yet...

I had a good lifting session last night. Despite the sore knee... actually the things I thought would bother it, squats and lunges did not, but the deadlifts and 2-point rows did? It was strange. I hopped onto a spin bike after the workout and THAT was a non-starter!

So no spin for me tonight, i will do some other form of cardio and then probably go out with my buddy tonight to Buffalo Wild Wings for a baseball benefit dinner. Some of the money from the night goes to the Travel team playing in the Cooperstown tournement.
  • kah68
    Options
    Good Morning.

@Laurie~Thanks for the tips. I have been doing ice therapy for the last several days, but not so much heat therapy – so will try that. I didn’t think about going to the chiropractor either, but he may be able to do some electrical stimulation – I’m seeing my massage therapist on Saturday and hoping he can work in that area without me coming off the table. If it doesn’t improve soon after that, I may call my chiropractor. I’m terrified of an Achilles rupture, so doing everything within my power to help it heal. I had an Achilles tear (not complete rupture) about 10 years ago, I was in a boot for 8 months while it healed and I certainly don’t want to go through that again!
    @Robin~I ditto what Karen said. I use my scale for measuring condiments, nuts, cheeses, deli meats, chips, etc. I also weigh in grams instead of ounces – you get more! :wink:
    @Meloncholy~Good luck with the oral surgery today, I had valium for some surgery last year and really did help to keep me calm. Not sure why they gave it to me since I was unconscious for the surgery, I guess to take the edge off beforehand.
    @Karen~I hope Gunner listened and that you and DH got more sleep last night. I didn’t hear Zoe all night last night, I think she actually slept! :bigsmile:
    @Gorilla~Easy with that knee, deadlifts will certainly affect it. Try to do some activities that take the stress off of it for a few days and then ice it after your workouts.

Wednesday Wish~That everyone sick or hurting heals quickly (including myself).

Exercise Goals:
    Sunday~Training DONE!
    Monday~Run w Trainer DONE!
    Tuesday~Spinning DONE
    Wednesday~Training
    Thursday~Walk (needs to be a super low-impact workout)
    Friday~Rest Day
    Saturday~Walk or Elliptical

March Goals
    1. Planks~Not getting them in daily, but am getting them in at least 5 days/week while trying to improve my time.
    2. Water~Goal was to increase from 12-14 glasses to 14-16 glasses, so far so good with this goal.