Convince me Pop Tarts & ice cream are bad.

Options

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts are bad because they taste horrible.

Ice cream I have no beef with.

This! switch Pop tarts for something that actually tastes good. Like a chocolate croissant!

:flowerforyou:
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Nope. I won't. Because I'm eating this tonight.
    mochamaca-scoop-and-pint-400x280-trans.png
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Alright, OP. I enjoyed your first few posts because I liked looking at all the pictures and even decided to treat myself and try one in the future. I got your message.
    But you're starting to become a little much here-this is like the third post and it's starting to look like you want start a fight.
    You know a lot of people here are on much lower calorie diets and are jealous and are going to pick a fight.
    So why keep picking the nerve?

I bring it up because I have a lot of success with weight loss and health doing it this way, but every time I offer advise I'm chastised over eating "pop tarts & ice cream". It actually isn't about pop tarts or ice cream, it's about knowing you can achieve all your goals eating anything you want. You don't have to be on a fad diet or not eat things you enjoy to do this. That's the point.

Well let's put it this way OP, 4000 calories per day is not realistic for most people wanting to lose weight.

20 - 25% , doesn't matter what your total intake is. I get to eat more because mine's higher, that's all that means. I never said go eat 1000 calories a day of XXXX food.

his diary is open. anyone who wants to see if his claim of 25% is consistent with his actions, check it out.

Kind of a low blow considering when someone called out all the processed food you had in your diary, it was somehow justified for you.

I'm not scared of "processed food", I more than meet my nutritional needs. No worries.

Not saying you are. Taking issue with the tactics.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    magerum, since you ignored my answer to your question, let me ask YOU one.

what nutrients do you GET from poptarts. and not macronutrients, what micronutrients do you get from it? (because macros are made up of smaller particles you know)

Vitamin A 151 %
    Iron 2 %
    Niacin 2 %
    Folic Acid 40 %

Now even if you argue the bio availability, sure maybe I'm not getting all of them but they're there. Also, macro nutrients ARE quite important too you know, lets not ignore the fat and, albeit tiny amount, of protein.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with any of it. I live on it. The only thing you have to watch for is sodium and blood pressure. Which is why they make blood pressure meds. Inhibit your kidney from retaining water and keep on eating all the pop tarts in the world. Yes, serious.

Does your doc know that you eat that much sugar? Eating a lot of sugar may cause high serum uric acid which is likely a causative agent in not only hypertension, but renal disease and failure. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23439375

You might want to have your uric acid level checked. Google "hyperuricemia and hypertension". Here's an article to start with: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23089272

From the article: "Although more research is clearly necessary, the available data suggest that uric acid is likely causative in some cases of early onset hypertension." If you have hypertension at your age, I wouldn't be so confident that B.P. meds will solve all problems. By the time that B.P. is sodium dependent, there may have already been significant renal damage.

Already answered this the first time you asked. As of two weeks ago 3.2 mg/dL. Low end of average. Thanks.

Actually, this post was directed at trojanBB who is apparently already struggling with B.P. issues. Are you, by any chance, on Allopurinol? That wouldn't be at all surprising in someone who was once a very big boy. Are you on any medications? Hope you don't mind my asking but I think it is pertinent to the discussion of how eating junk food in any quantity can be quite unhealthy.
  • magerum
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with any of it. I live on it. The only thing you have to watch for is sodium and blood pressure. Which is why they make blood pressure meds. Inhibit your kidney from retaining water and keep on eating all the pop tarts in the world. Yes, serious.

Does your doc know that you eat that much sugar? Eating a lot of sugar may cause high serum uric acid which is likely a causative agent in not only hypertension, but renal disease and failure. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23439375

You might want to have your uric acid level checked. Google "hyperuricemia and hypertension". Here's an article to start with: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23089272

From the article: "Although more research is clearly necessary, the available data suggest that uric acid is likely causative in some cases of early onset hypertension." If you have hypertension at your age, I wouldn't be so confident that B.P. meds will solve all problems. By the time that B.P. is sodium dependent, there may have already been significant renal damage.

Already answered this the first time you asked. As of two weeks ago 3.2 mg/dL. Low end of average. Thanks.

Actually, this post was directed at trojanBB who is apparently already struggling with B.P. issues. Are you, by any chance, on Allopurinol? That wouldn't be at all surprising in someone who was once a very big boy. Are you on any medications? Hope you don't mind my asking but I think it is pertinent to the discussion of how eating junk food in any quantity can be quite unhealthy.

No meds at all. I don't even take aspirin. I do drink about 1000 mg of caffeine a day on top of all this. I'm sure that will bug you too.
  • PamelaG723
    Options
    I would love to be able to have 25% of my calories from poptarts and ice cream. That doesn't work for me, although I do indulge (had half a whoopie pie today because I knew I would do at least an hour of Zumba this evening). Eating such a high percentage of sugary and processed food is the reason (in addition to serious lack of exercise) that my rump is as large as it is.

If it works for you and you're pleased with the results, then that's what you should do. It might catch up with you. Age has a way of being the great equalizer for a lot of people.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

WAAAAAAAAAANT... Where do I find this evil? *dashes to Google*
  • magerum
    Options
    Back in a bit. Keep it going. I'll respond to stuff in a bit
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

No meds at all. I don't even take aspirin. I do drink about 1000 mg of caffeine a day on top of all this. I'm sure that will bug you too.

Doesn't "bug" me at all. I just think you are a walking medical miracle and that you should volunteer to be studied by obesity researchers (there's a lot of that going on--check the nearest med school). I will say that it is a good thing that you drink a lot of coffee, as that is associated with lower serum uric acid levels. The likely mechanism is that one of the metabolites of coffee is 1-methyl xanthine and it competitively inhibits the enzyme that produces uric acid (xanthine oxidase). Stay healthy. :smile:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    magerum, since you ignored my answer to your question, let me ask YOU one.

what nutrients do you GET from poptarts. and not macronutrients, what micronutrients do you get from it? (because macros are made up of smaller particles you know)

Vitamin A 151 %
    Iron 2 %
    Niacin 2 %
    Folic Acid 40 %

Now even if you argue the bio availability, sure maybe I'm not getting all of them but they're there. Also, macro nutrients ARE quite important too you know, lets not ignore the fat and, albeit tiny amount, of protein.

ok.

the fat primarily comes from hydrogenated vegetable oils yes? so trans fats

and the tiny amount of protein is what's left from the wheat.

but tell me, what are macronutrients MADE of?
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options

the fat primarily comes from hydrogenated vegetable oils yes? so trans fats

Wrong again

88554.jpg
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to clarify some more, I didn't think it needed to be said, but obviously it does. Too many are missing the actual point of all this. People are hung up on the whole pop tarts and ice cream part. It doesn't matter if it's pop tarts & ice cream or pizza, donuts, bacon, cheese, cake, chocolate, candy, whatever you want it to be. For me, right now, it happens to be pop tarts & ice cream.

The point being is you can eat ANYTHING you want and still hit your goals. Both weight wise and nutritionally. Weight and nutrition can be mutually exclusive if you want, but they don't have to be either. You don't have to give up the foods you like, want, or love.

Exactly! If you give up the things you enjoy will you enjoy your new found thinness or will you be thin and unhappy?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

WAAAAAAAAAANT... Where do I find this evil? *dashes to Google*

Noooo - I tried that the other day..that shiz is nasty
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    OP, this is a little off topic, but I am wondering how many calories a day you were eating *before* you lost all the weight?
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts are just gross. Ice cream is delicious.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I guess I need to clarify some more, I didn't think it needed to be said, but obviously it does. Too many are missing the actual point of all this. People are hung up on the whole pop tarts and ice cream part. It doesn't matter if it's pop tarts & ice cream or pizza, donuts, bacon, cheese, cake, chocolate, candy, whatever you want it to be. For me, right now, it happens to be pop tarts & ice cream.

The point being is you can eat ANYTHING you want and still hit your goals. Both weight wise and nutritionally. Weight and nutrition can be mutually exclusive if you want, but they don't have to be either. You don't have to give up the foods you like, want, or love.

Exactly! If you give up the things you enjoy will you enjoy your new found thinness or will you be thin and unhappy?

Only babies derive happiness from what they put in their mouths. Hedonism is always a mistake. Therein does not true joy lie.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options

Only babies derive happiness from what they put in their mouths. Hedonism is always a mistake. Therein does not true joy lie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

Get help.