Losing Weight While Your Partner Doesn't

Options

Replies

• kcmo2528
    kcmo2528 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No. I married the guy, and there are very few "deal breakers" I would consider. He does things that drive me absolutely nutso, but I would be incredibly stupid to place more value on those things than love. Physical characteristics are not a deal breaker.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    All I can do is share my experience thus far. I decided to start losing weight a little over 3 years ago by eating less, eating a little cleaner and exercising. My husband has been cool with the food changes, supoprtive of my activities, and even decided to quit drinking beer to lose some weight but has no interest in fitness. The only reason he'll go for walks is if it's deer hunting season.

Two things that have made it easier in my situation:
    1) Whlle we're completely crazy about each other, we're very independent people. I'm my own person and if I decide to get healthier and fit, that's on me. He doesn't have to join me. That said, I do try to encourage him when the opportunity arrises.
    2) I'm not on any specific eating plan. If I was trying to cut out gluten or carbs or whatever...that would make it tough. But I'm an IIFYM type of person for the most part so I can still eat pizza or chinese or spaghetti and meatballs and we're both happy.

Plus, when we first met, he fell in love with me at 240 pounds while he was maybe 170 soaking wet. How could I now dump him just because the tables have turned?

So yeah, there is no way I'd leave him just because he's got a potbelly and I don't...
  • agrant85
    agrant85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm semi in this situation. My husband and I, are both obese. We have both talked about losing weight. Well, I've been at it for almost 3 weeks now on MFP. He isn't really doing anything. He says he will lose weight by proxy, because I do motivate him. He just isn't that committed. I think once he sees how well I am doing, it might motivate him more. But if he decides not to start exercising regularly and eating more healthy, I will still love him the same. He has flat out told me that once I get healthy and down to a normal weight, not to nag and preach to him about what he needs to be doing. Kind of like a smoker who quits and then likes to preach to everyone. So while I hope my husband joins me 100% on this journey, I am with him through good times and bad, THICK AND THIN, etc....
  • sarahsunshine1217
    sarahsunshine1217 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have been with my fiance for three years and we were both over weight when we met. Now that I am becoming way physical and extremely cautious on my food choices this has been a little bit of a struggle. But I have learned that you cant change people. If I push him he is just going to get mad and resist. He has to want it. The important thing is that he is trying to support me in every way I can. He tries to work out with me sometimes cooks healthy meals for me but will eat something else and the best part... I was afraid he would get jealous and think I was going to leave him if I lost weight but he is not. He is so excited for me, shows a ton of effection and is even buying me new clothes. I asked him if it was because I just looked better and he said no... Its because you are happy and that is what thrills me. He is my best friend and we will just have to figure out this journey but I know everyone is different.
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My husband met me when I was overweight by about forty pounds, and he loves me with almost a hundred pounds to lose. He LOVES the inside more than he loves the outside. We enjoy each others company, we have seen each other through what felt like the impossible and we have each others backs at all times. I too have loved him thin (when we met) and with fifty pounds on him. He is now back to thin and has inspired me to do the same. It is called REAL love and commitment. When you find it you will know it.
  • ambernbarrier
    ambernbarrier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. But I weigh a lot more than my husband currently. He promised me once I reach his weight he will diet with me. But ironically he has taken to adopting my lifestyle and the weight seems to melt off him. I believe it's different when the roles are reversed. My husband has never pressured me to lose weight never even mentioned my weight. In fact of it wasn't for my sudden interest in my health, I would have never thought I needed a life change. Here I am 3 months after making my life change 6 pants sizes 2 shirt sizes and 23 pounds down 127 pounds left to lose. All I can say is love is patient and kind. I feel the best I have ever felt. My husband has lost 15 pounds without trying.
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think you were implying you don't find her attractive. Am I right by saying that? The real question you should ask yourself is if you love her for her, not her physical appearance? If you leave her for her physical appearance alone then I think you need to look deep inside yourself and evaluate why you would. Over time, you will get old, your skin will wrinkle, etc. So, you see how basing love off physical appearance is vain? If there are other problems then you should think about those. Love her for who she is, not who you want her to be.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Interesting! You can't force change on someone. When she is ready to lose weigh t then she will do it. Just because you made improvements does not mean they should follow. Lead by example and not pressure her into doing it, soon she will start asking questions on how to be better.

As for you leaving her seems a little selfish, since you made changes and she has not yet made that commitment your basically saying that you don't like her and you want to be around other females. How about if the roles where reverse and then what?!

More or less this. Some of the changes might make you feel more distant, but you said you "don't see her the same way physically." I am not with someone if I don't find them attractive. I think that sounds like you basically thought she was the best you could get at the time and now you think you can "do better."

No relationship is going to work if one partner is always looking for the better option, so I think you owe it to your gf to break up with her asap.
  • camielleqcr
    camielleqcr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it is also important to look at the beginning of the relationship as well. Why you got together. I have been in your place and I was with the person because I didn't think I could do better. However, when I felt better about myself, and yes my physical appearance had a lot to do with that, I realized that I couldn't continue living like that. This may or may not be your situation but if it is, being with someone because you don't think you can do better is unkind to them and to you. In my case I left him and he surprised me by improving his life, he got a great job, got married and moved to a tropical place. I was never in love with him so all I could feel for him was happiness. Both our lives improved because we were not being dragged down by false feelings of commitment and mostly an overwhelming feeling of obligation.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similiar situation. My wife introduced me to this website. She had been doing it for a while, but she quit. I've been doing it, and don't see myself quitting. She gets pissed at me when I call myself encouraging her to come back, and start counting her calories, and watch what she eat. She tells me nobody likes a person who's always preaching weight loss, and that I'm going to just quit anyway. I happen to agree about the preaching, but its MY WIFE! I thought I could "preach" to her! So we'll see what happens as I continue to lose weight!

If preaching is objectionable, it's even worse to do it to your spouse. My husband doesn't watch what he eats, or log his food, but he does exercise, so we exercise together. I have a strict policy of positive reinforcement only - no nagging, no criticism.
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I believe that leaves opportunity for communication or change. communication, it can't hurt right? if the love, commitment, connection is still there.. then its worth it to try and convince him to meet you halfway... help you help yourself....

if that DOESNT work... (which I know from experience).. then that's what I consider... you changing while everything stays the same. most relationships change at some point... and if you no longer can have interests in the same thing, he cannot meet you halfway, and it changes your perspective of him.. then the relationship, then you entirely.. it could begin to change you, and cause you to become depressed.. or backslide.. and that's not healthy for you...
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Short answer: no.

My husband is actually struggling to GAIN weight as I am trying to lose weight. He has a chronic medical condition that makes it incredibly difficult for him to gain any at all and is quite thin.

Would I like it if he would come for a walk with me? Absolutely. Would I love it if he would stop buying all the junk he loves to eat that I just need to avoid for now? Yes I would.

I am the one that needs to change, not him.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Love is love. I am sorta in this place right now. I've lost 75lbs in 14 months. Husband has stayed the same without even caring to change. He's made references to me looking good and likes that I have lost. He could stand to lose some and get in better shape himself, but to leave someone b/c of that....no. I have tried to get him to join me and nothing. This is my new passion and I wish he were on board with me....but he isn't. Do I want a divorce? Absolutely not. Now, he just has to prepare himself for me looking and feeling good!
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Uh, no. Why would I? I obviously found them attractive before, why does changing my lifestyle now make any difference?

I lost 30+ pounds and my partner hasn't lost a thing. I don't love him any less, or pressure him into being healthier for my visual pleasure. There are more important things than looks. The extent of my pressuring for a new lifestyle is so he is healthier and can be here with me longer.

In short, it's about ME and when he is ready to make a lifestyle change he will. If he doesn't, that's okay too.
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    No. This is the story of my life, but I'm married and just because he doesn't want to change it now doesn't mean I just pack up and go.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i'm much more focused than my wife. she doesn't work out as hard as me and she doesn't keep an eye on her nutrition as much as i do, nor is she as knowledgeable about these things as me, so i can't fault her. i'm more motivated and more willing, so of course i'm in better shape and healthier than she is. i'm happy with the fact that she's trying at all.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have expressed my concern for my boyfriend's health to him on a number of occasions but I know that he'll change when he's ready. Just like his smoking. He'll quit when he's ready. While I do nag, I'm not going to pressure him into anything. So I lead by example in hopes my healthy-ish lifestyle rubs off on him before we have kids.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If my partner offered love, security, and support then I would not leave him - even if he were obese and I no longer had physical attraction. But if I was attracted to him in the first place why would I care if he stayed the same weight, even if it's higher or lower than an ideal?

I am currently dating a physical trainer though and I am having the opposite problem, though. He is extremely fit and when I asked for advice on losing the last 5 pounds, he gave me a ton of rules like "no carbs at night" and "cut out all chocolate." I'm majorly resenting a guy telling me what to eat, even though I asked for the information. I do love his fitness advice though, and am putting it to use.

Still, I feel like it won't ever be enough. I'm starting to feel fat, ashamed and worthless around him. This even though I eat mostly healthy and work out 5 days a week.

I suspect that's how fat partners feel when their significant others lose weight and try to improve them. I can only imagine that it would be much worse if you are really out of shape. At that point I wouldn't even try to shift a partner's size unless they asked or it affected their health.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    No, my fiance and I have been together a few years. We both have alot to lose, I've been ready but he has not. I've got a good running start on my weight loss while he's been reluctant. Now that he's seeing the changes and how hard I'm working for them, he's coming around, we just started c25k together today. The main thing is if your partner is supportive of you despite the fact that they personally don't want to make any changes. If the answer is no, then maybe it's not the right relationship. As I believe a big component of a good relationship is having support UNCONDITIONALLY from that person for your happiness.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Nope, wouldn't leave. They haven't changed, I have. I am in that position right now, but we're so much a like, that I understand he's not ready yet. He will when the time is right and if he doesn't, I'm not so superficial that I'd leave.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!