How many calories do you eat a day?

Options

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    On a normal day I eat anywhere for 700 to 1000 calories and day...... If you are eating good food thats still a ton of food.......

Bahahhaha to THAT ^ being a TON of food! :laugh:

OP, I am on maintenance at 130 pounds at 1700 calories PLUS any and all exercise calories I earn. When I was losing I believe it was 1350 plus all exercise cals.

Guess you have not seen what I can eat & still be under 1000 then? I can FILL my plate...like enough for 4 servings... that's just dinner. Good stuff.... beans, noodles, chicken, zucchini, hell even a crapload of Parmesan cheese on top. It's a TON of food. All for me.
  • lindseymruth
    lindseymruth Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm basically at maintenance and I eat between 1600 and 2100 a day. Usually close to 2000.
  • Dhinkson
    Dhinkson Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am on a Dr supervised diet because of medical issues. I eat 800 calories a day and am not hungry on that. I have done it for 4months and have lost 33 lbs. I am 50yrs old and only 5'4". This diet is working for me and I do splurge occasionally up to 1200. However I was on 1200 calorie diet for 6 months and only lost 2 lbs!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering how many calories people eat a day? I am eating 1100 at the moment, and lost 2.5lbs last week doing no exercise as was too busy with work. MFP states that Im eating too less a calories, but Im finding that Im eating enough to satisfy my hunger without snacking on loads of bad things. :)
    Just keep in mind that calories are not the only thing your body gets from food. There are lots of vitamins and minerals your body needs in order to function. A deficiency in any of them doesn't necessarily cause you to feel "hunger" so that is not the greatest measure of whether or not you are malnourished.
  • criscollrj
    criscollrj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Blimey.....didnt mean to start a debate! Anyone know what the best site is to find out my TDEE? Only just found out what this is lol

I use this for a BMR calculator:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Once you have your BMR, multiply it by 1.2 to get your TDEE for a day where you aren't really active. You would then add exercise calories on top of that.

OK so apparently my TDEE is 1601. So this is the amount of calories I burn a day not being active?? Sorry being thick

Hi - I've just been on here for 2 months and have learned SO MUCH I didn't know before! I think I'm answering this right - saw no one answered you yet - I believe TDEE is the upper calorie limit to eat, and BMR is the lower. I went to sites recommended on here to figure it out (would have to look them up for you and can, in a few minutes) and I obtained something like 1400 as my absolute MINIMUM calories to just stay alive, and something like 2,200 as the TDEE (maximum I should eat or not gain weight). So I kept at my recommended MFP goal of 1700 calories, as it is working for me, and I do eat back all my exercise calories. This was a goal to lose 1/2 pound a week but I have actually lost 10 pounds in less than 8 weeks! I am 5'3" and 175 pounds now. I never thought I could eat so much and lose weight so I firmly believe for me the higher calorie count is working. I used to try 1200 in the past but could never maintain such a program for very long. I started dieting at age 10 so have a lot of experience lol!!!

This is the site I went to to figure out TDEE and BMR: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/#projectedweightloss
  • nannukka
    nannukka Posts: 52
    Options
    I eat 1750 by MFP on those days when I do not go to gym (that is with me "scheduled to loose 1 lb a week). I believe that is about as low as I am willing to go. Someday naturally just little less if I am not hungry and busy, but most days it is pretty much that. Now if I exercise I will eat more since am usually ravenous (then usually close to 1900).
  • caffeinated_frog
    caffeinated_frog Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    About 1900 on days with exercise, which is almost every day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Depends on how much sleep I got the night before and how early I had to get up. Day's when I have to be up by 3:30 am, I tend to eat more. But it evens out in the end.
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I NET 1800-2000 calories, depending on my activity level for the day. True, I am only losing 1/2 a lb a week but its a loss and I am still eating so that I dont feel like I am dieting and I have upped my exercise.
  • junoreactor70
    Options
    I'm 42 years old. 5' 9" inches tall. 170lbs. I eat at the low end (-20% defecit) 1970 a day, and at the high end 2463. When I work out I just increase the calories eaten for the day, based on the calories burned in my workout to the -20% defecit number. IE. 1970 + 1000 calories burned, so for that day I eat 2970 calories. I'm down from 26% body fat to somewhere around 19%.
  • BeautyQueen90
    BeautyQueen90 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Note that eating below your bmr is starving yourself.... Just like 1200 cals or less is starving yourself people want to believe it's not but in reality it is
  • conorpatmanCHANGED
    conorpatmanCHANGED Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    my net goal is 1740
  • junoreactor70
    Options
    MrsMofasa is correct. You should NEVER eat below your BMR. That's the calories your body NEEDS to support your vital organs.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    On days I workout, I eat 1800-2100. I typically burn 500 calories.
    On rest days, I eat 1400-1600.
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It really is a personalized number. If you are satisfied, that's all the calories you need or else you'd be hungry. Listen to your body and eat healthy and clean. You'll be fine.

I'm gad someone here has a head on their shoulders.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yea you can get FULL off 1000 cals but you body definitely cannot perform well off 1000 kcals. Also most likely one on that low of cals would not be getting enough dietary, fat and micro-nutrients in their diet. Then over time that persons metab would adjust and they'd have to go even lower to continue losing weight.
  • Icanhazsugarnow
    Options
    I eat at around 1,200 calories a day.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i eat 1800, but don't eat back excercise calories, so some days i net as low as 500
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Reported on MFP: 1400-1600 on average. Actually: more like 1600-2000 on average. I intentionally leave my calorie goal on the lower end because I don't always count the butter I sauteed my veggies in or the satay sauce in my Pho soup. I weigh about 95% of what I eat at home, but I just can't obsess about every single drop/bite.

It may not be the "right" way to calorie count but it works for me.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I stick to 1200 a day. Sometime I'll eat some of my exercise calories but a max of 200. I"m 169cm and 62kgs, want to lose 3kg.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Anything between 2100 and 2800, depending on what exercise I've done during the day. I am maintaining but when I was losing I would eat about 1200 (yes I know it's low) and wouldn't eat back my exercise, however since then I've kept the weight off and all is going swimmingly.

Everybody has a view on this but it's your body