ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS!!! GREATEST THREAD EVER!!

Options

Replies

• MsDaraElaina
    MsDaraElaina Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're so awesome! So many good tips and advice!! THANKS and you're right, this is the best thread EVER and what being on MFP is or SHOULD be all about!
  • lornz88
    lornz88 Posts: 11
    Options
    Interesting how you haven't responded to the question of "who are you?" Why should anyone listen to what you have to say? What is your background? Anyone that has googled info can sound like they know what they are talking about but it doesn't make it so.

I'm nobody special in all honesty. I've no fancy background or PhD in any of this stuff and I don't think many people here have.
    I'm not forcing advice upon anybody and I'm not saying anybody has to even listen.

Good luck with your weight loss goals.

Gaaahhhh how haters hate...

I don't really care who you are, you are helping people, you don't have have a phd in anything to share from experience..

"Arrogant, pompous, full of yourself" I like to call it being English!!

Thank you for this :-)

Bump
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Love this post! Interested in the 5:2 concept. I've had no luck losing weight for about a year and a half. I have just recently started to see it move following Jay Robb's Fat Burning Diet. While looking over his six pack diet I had from a few years ago I noticed it was very similar to 5:2. I have been doing some research on 5:2 and think I might try it. Mind if I friend you for some tips?
  • lornz88
    lornz88 Posts: 11
    Options
    Actually, I have something I want to ask.. I'm a bit of a newbie, and weight loss has never been my main goal, but when I started to hate myself and how I felt, I knew I need to change something, so here I am..

I started last Tuesday, I weighed in at 286lbs. I'm 6ft and fairly broad, my first goal is to get to around 180lbs and see how I look and feel.

I do love to look at the scales, although from reading this I completely get why it is bad, thankfully they have only been a motivation so far!

MFP says I should eat 1630 cal per day, I haven't had a problem sticking to this, I've cut out the junk and soda and I feel full and satisfied. I also excercise 5-6 days a week, I hit the gym 3 - 4 times a week, doing 10 mins at a fast walk/jog on treadmill, 10 mins on the xtrainer getting my heart rate up, then 10 mins on the bike, finished off with 2 x 16 on chest press, should press, leg press and lat pull down.

I also swim, moderate effort (I'm not the strongest swimmer) 30-45mins, 3-4 times a week, with a couple of aqua aerobic classes thrown in for good measure. I have no calculation of the true calories I'm burning ATM as I am waiting to buy a hrm. So I rarely eat back my exercise calories unless I feel hungry or week.

Tuesday this week I weighed in at 273lbs, losing 13lbs.. Now I know that a lot of this will be water, hormones, and the shock to my system. I also know it isn't sustainable weekly.

What I want to know is, is what I am doing enough/right?

I understand this isn't going to happen over night and I don't want a quick fix, but I just want to know that if there is anything I can do to improve?

Thank you :-)

L xx
  • msagrero08
    msagrero08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Saved! So glad I read the thread!
  • kam81
    kam81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lapinco
    lapinco Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started healthy eatting & exercising again Monday and feel really good. But as Easter is getting closer, I am looking forward to it & dreading it. My family wants the old fashioned unhealthy food (spiral ham, cheesy potatoes, rolls, pie) & it sounds really good to me, but I don't know if I can have small portions of it & not go overboard. Anybody have any trouble having a cheat meal & getting back on track?
  • mandeeluvsme
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Good day everyone. This weekend I was putting new tile in my hallway, bathroom, and foyer. So no gym for me. When I got done I was so sore. But last night I went up to the gym. I'm on W3D2 of C25k. It's going pretty good. Some days when I run its better, but I still work through it. Last nit my run was not what I thought it should of been. So I'm thinking I should go do it again. Sometimes when I get done running, I feel so good that I want to do it again the next day. So is that a bad thing to run 2 days in a row. I have signed up for a 5k in May and another 5k in June.
  • satishpendse
    satishpendse Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I follow Indian vegeterian diet, which at times falls short of protein. To overcome the same, daily I take whey protein supplement 30g that provides protein 22.5 gms. Even after that my daily protein intake doesn't exceed the quota for me. I take it 5 days in a week, thus having a gap of 2 days every week.

I keep hearing confusing views about taking protein supplements. One view is that this may damage kidneys.

Request an advice whether I should continue protein supplement. Will it really damage kidneys?

Regards

Satish Pendse
  • kathendo1984
    Options
    bump for reading later...
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reading
  • nicole_andan
    Options
    Thump!

:laugh: too funny!!!!
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I follow Indian vegeterian diet, which at times falls short of protein. To overcome the same, daily I take whey protein supplement 30g that provides protein 22.5 gms. Even after that my daily protein intake doesn't exceed the quota for me. I take it 5 days in a week, thus having a gap of 2 days every week.

I keep hearing confusing views about taking protein supplements. One view is that this may damage kidneys.

Request an advice whether I should continue protein supplement. Will it really damage kidneys?

Regards

Satish Pendse

Ignore such rubbish, however, general consensus says 0.7g-1.2g of protein per pound of LBM is optimal. Stick to that and you won't go far wrong. Some people have 5 of those shakes a day, admittedly, their goals are likely different but it just shows you're not going to do any damage to your kidney on 5 shakes a week. You're not gonna die.... (if you do, I'm sorry)
  • SecondChances1980
    Options
    Bump
  • tricksee
    Options
    I just started healthy eatting & exercising again Monday and feel really good. But as Easter is getting closer, I am looking forward to it & dreading it. My family wants the old fashioned unhealthy food (spiral ham, cheesy potatoes, rolls, pie) & it sounds really good to me, but I don't know if I can have small portions of it & not go overboard. Anybody have any trouble having a cheat meal & getting back on track?

I know Easter is over but I'll get back to you regardless as it may help someone else in your position (plus it's better late than never right?)

OK, well done on starting your new healthy and exercise plan. I hope it lasts, I really do as most people give up pretty sharpish when someone offers them a free chocolate bar...

I urge you to think about this....

Eating a days worth of healthy meals makes you no thinner than eating a days worth of unhealthy meals will make you fatter.

You'll wake up the next day 99.9% the exact same as before.

When it comes to losing weight, the old 'calories in VS calories out' stuff is more about consistency than accuracy. One day isn't going to ruin or spoil your progress so stop overthinking and enjoy yourself.
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    He is not giving an English lesson. Weight and diet is what he is about good job done
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks I have just been one of those annoyong people and posted about weight gain not loss! I really try to weight myself less often, but just can't resist the scales.
    gone up 0.8kg in 4 days!
    doing 30 DS (day 10 today) and week 4 of onehundred pushups.
  • tricksee
    Options
    Good day everyone. This weekend I was putting new tile in my hallway, bathroom, and foyer. So no gym for me. When I got done I was so sore. But last night I went up to the gym. I'm on W3D2 of C25k. It's going pretty good. Some days when I run its better, but I still work through it. Last nit my run was not what I thought it should of been. So I'm thinking I should go do it again. Sometimes when I get done running, I feel so good that I want to do it again the next day. So is that a bad thing to run 2 days in a row. I have signed up for a 5k in May and another 5k in June.

Personally, I'd run every other day. Running is a very high impact form of cardio and I have a countless number of friends, family and one arch nemisis who have all developed knee trouble due to running. Maybe they had bad form? Who knows?

If you feel you can run 2 days in a row, then go for it, you know your body better than anyone else but remember You must also ensure you get adequate rest when it comes to any kind of physical activity.

Well done for entering the 2 5K's - don't ask me to sponsor you and good luck!
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump :smile:

xviii