McDonalds McWrap

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I recently saw an advertisement for the new McDonald's Chicken Wrap on Facebook. Before that, I read a nutritional review on the product and let's just say that out of everything in the wrap, the tomato & lettuce are the only items that are just that, the chicken alone is made up of over 20 ingredients!

A friend on FB "liked" the promo picture and someone commented "You're killing people with this food!" and it made me think: Is McDonald's and similar restaurants really killing people when it's our choice to eat there or not?

Source for nutrition - http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/03/27/mcdonalds-mcwraps-a-nutritious-choice/

Yes and no.

Yes we need to be accountable for what we choose to eat. However, fast food restaurants also need to be accountable for what they put in their foods and what they serve.

They are. They publish full nutrition and ingredient information online and have literature at their stores. McDonald's is actually far better at this than pretty much everyone else in the game - their Meal Builder and Ingredients statements are thorough, functional, and complete. Far more so than their competitors'.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Just say no..... to McDonalds.

Why?
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    people need to start taking responsibility for what they put into their own bodies. i am overweight, and its no one's fault but my own. i CHOSE to eat crappy. and with restaurants having their nutritional info available online, people have access to it. their ads might be misleading, but if people really think eating at mcdonalds is going to help them lose weight, then they are doomed from the get go.
    i always tell my friends who are trying to lose weight to look into things. ive made a list of the healthiest options for chain restaurants, and there is no reason they cannot do the same.
    it seems like the best places for healthier choices are subway (obviously) and taco bell. if you choose to eat fast food, you have to understand that it isnt going to be healthy....you have to put some effort into being healthy. if you want to eat things that are all-natural, then start cooking for yourself.

^^^ This. That is the 'cost' of living in a free society. You have to take responsibility for yourself.
  • FITNLUVINIT
    FITNLUVINIT Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You can eat healthy at McDonald's but you have to choose to. I am not a big fan of the fast food chains but I luv their ceasar grilled chicken salad with low-fat dressing and only have 230 calories, and then I have the fresh fruit yogurt 150 cals. not to bad for fast food it can be done the choice is ours to make whether we eat healthy or not.:drinker: :drinker:
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I recently saw an advertisement for the new McDonald's Chicken Wrap on Facebook. Before that, I read a nutritional review on the product and let's just say that out of everything in the wrap, the tomato & lettuce are the only items that are just that, the chicken alone is made up of over 20 ingredients!

A friend on FB "liked" the promo picture and someone commented "You're killing people with this food!" and it made me think: Is McDonald's and similar restaurants really killing people when it's our choice to eat there or not?

Source for nutrition - http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/03/27/mcdonalds-mcwraps-a-nutritious-choice/

Yes and no.

Yes we need to be accountable for what we choose to eat. However, fast food restaurants also need to be accountable for what they put in their foods and what they serve.

They are. They publish full nutrition and ingredient information online and have literature at their stores. McDonald's is actually far better at this than pretty much everyone else in the game - their Meal Builder and Ingredients statements are thorough, functional, and complete. Far more so than their competitors'.

I meant accoutability as far as the quality of their ingredients is concerned and the quality of their food. I think they lack in integrity but it's really just my opinion.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    EUUUUWWWWEEEE... yuck now I am deinatly NOT!!!!! going to try one....20 items??? Wow...break out the mystery meat jerky...lol
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I hate McDonald's and most burger places anyway.

*shrug*
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Why did I just read this whole thread?? Oh thats right, to piss myself off! Get off the "Organic" and "Clean" band wagon
    . Watch what you eat, don't pound down ****ty food all day, exercise...then you will lose weight.

McDonalds won't kill you.....YOU WILL KILL YOU!

Amen
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Yes and no.

It would be nice if the ingredients and nutritional values were kept easily available in the stores. Some that I've been to do. And, the major chains that I can think of off the top of my head do publish it online. Unless they're lying, that's sufficiently accountable to me. Don't want to eat it, no problem. Hold them 'accountable' and don't.

ETA: apologies, was typing while the previous poster was posting. The last bit about holding them accountable still applies, though. :)
  • ducky715
    ducky715 Posts: 38
    Options
    I don't like most of McDonald's food, but my husband and I have been hooked on the mcwraps. I get mine with no cheese or sauce. I get a black Newman's iced coffee too.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    McDonalds and other restaurants did not make me fat. My poor choices made me fat and unhealthy. People should be accountable for their own actions and stop blaming every one else. Eat it or don't eat it! It's the individual's decision. I can eat McDonald's for lunch or choose to bring something from home. I choose to make my own lunch.
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Of course McDonalds McCrap is killing you. It's all high-calorie processed food. But you try to tell people this and they label you a conspiracy nut. It's frustrating but whatever.

This ^^^^^
  • HDG1972
    HDG1972 Posts: 10
    Options
    In my experience it is costing my family less to eat healthy!!! By choosing healthy food options and sticking to controlled portions I can feed my family for much less then i was spending on processed food. We no longer have constant food cravings either which in its self cuts down on the extra snacks and such.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Yes and no.

I meant accoutability as far as the quality of their ingredients is concerned and the quality of their food. I think they lack in integrity but it's really just my opinion.

Do you feel they are deficient somehow in regards to being accountable for the quality of their food?
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I go by the Penn and Teller conclusion that McDonald's isn't forcing me to eat there so it's not their fault. However, I choose to avoid McDonald's because their food is loaded with just plain old crap. If they made better food, I might eat there more often.
  • neeko_3
    neeko_3 Posts: 68
    Options
    Yep, people have nobody to blame for their obesity but themselves. Eating this junk cant be good for you.

Plus it is super expensive!
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. I still eat at McDonald's, but when I do it is the kid's meals. I usually get an ice cream cone, hot chocolate, or plain coffee usually more often.

ETA: my recent lab work from the doctor's office

Fasting Blood Sugar: 90
    Total Cholesterol; 150
    HDL: ; 65
    LDL: 98
    Triglycerides: 100

BP: 110/70
    P: 70
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Thanks for sharing!
  • FITNLUVINIT
    FITNLUVINIT Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    DITTO!!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • neeko_3
    neeko_3 Posts: 68
    Options
    Of course McDonalds McCrap is killing you. It's all high-calorie processed food. But you try to tell people this and they label you a conspiracy nut. It's frustrating but whatever.

This ^^^^^

This ^