How many dates should a guy pay for?

Options

Replies

• JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    First time,
    old fashioned

But also whoever offers, unless otherwise figured out.

What you DONT want to do is the other person or feel yourself that you are the one who always has to pay...
    If you have been treated a few times, I fell as though you should try your best to come up with some way to treat that person to a good date as well.. not just a oh "I'll get us some coffee, and YOU get the dinner... "
    not that I have experienced this or anything :grumble:

both should feel comfortable enough to where this situation and subject matter does not matter :ohwell:
  • MadameMC
    MadameMC Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Huh, I guess I'm the odd duck. I like to -and expect to- go halfsies from the get-go. I don't expect anyone to pay for me, and I don't expect to pay for them - though if they insist on paying I'm not going to say no. I only offer to pay for them if I can afford to do so and feel like doing a nice gesture.

With some people there just IS no saying no-thanks. I have a friend who NEVER lets me pay, no matter how many tricks I try to do so, she always winds up paying my bill too.
  • GrnEyz80
    GrnEyz80 Posts: 121
    Options
    All of them.
  • Lovemyzach
    Lovemyzach Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't expect them to pay. I never liked anyone paying my way, I always felt weird about that. I'd prefer to pay for myself. I don't like people think I'm using them, but if the guy just won't stop insisting that he pay, I'd say let him pay then.
  • reachme
    reachme Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I always preferred paying my share. :)
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    BTW according to the latest US Census Bureau women still make about 23 cents less then men on each dollar that gap increases for minority women.

That's only if you total up all men vs. all women, and fail to correct for hours and type occupation. In reality, men and women work different total hours and choose different professions. If you compare the same hours and at the same job, that 23 cent differential disappears.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Pay as often as fits your standards and values. Anything else is game playing. If she can't deal with your preference or communicate her preference in a healthy way, she's probably not right for you.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you ask for the first date, IMO you should pay. If she asks for the first date, she should pay. After that, there should be discussion.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I think whoever suggested or asked for the date should pay for it.
  • PastaQueen33
    PastaQueen33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How I was taught, the man asks and he pays for every single date. Including flowers when he picks you up, whether he picks them or buys them. As well as opening doors and having manners. I want to be treated like a woman and cherished. Now a day's things are different, but I'm still teaching my son's the right way to do it and my daughter to expect it. I guess I am old fashioned.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I always believed that whoever did the asking paid for the date. I paid for a few back when I was dating that I invited him out but if he invited me, I expected him to pay. I always enjoyed buying guys drinks at the bar though because of the look of shock on their faces ( It was the South, I guess)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Every guy I've ever dated did the asking and expected to pay for dates. If other people want to do it differently, that is fine with me.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    Page 12 and nobody gave the right answer to win the iPad mini. The correct answer was....

the government!
  • LisaMarie8713
    Options
    Page 12 and nobody gave the right answer to win the iPad mini. The correct answer was....

the government!

I gave the right answer but someone deleted my post.... come'on normie, gimme the mini!! lol ;)
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options

the government!

I gave the right answer but someone deleted my post.... come'on normie, gimme the mini!! lol ;)

you can have the mini. And I'd pay for every single date.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

the government!

you can have the mini. And I'd pay for every single date.

I am with NormInv....all dates should be paid for by the guy!
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Gender does not apply. If you ask a person out, bring your wallet. If a person asks you out, offer to pay your share. If you find yourself keeping score, you're probably not enjoying the person's company enough to continue.

It should work for couples much the same as it does among friends.
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    It really makes no difference to me, it's just money! However, it's very humbling to read that chivalry continues to exisit.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I don't know if its just my experience, but when I dated a guy who wanted to go "dutch" on the dates he turned out to be a real jerk (not to mention a controlling sociopath) but I didn't find that out till after I married him :p And the guy that paid for our dates ended up being the sweetest man I've ever met (still with him now) Now if I were ever in the "dating" game again, to me a guy not wanting to pay would be a red flag to his personality :p My current boyfriend paid for our dates until we moved in together and started paying bills together... now his money is my money and my money is his... much better than the its all mine attitude my ex husband had.
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If I invite someone out for dinner, movie or even a coffee, I pay. I have been married for almost 29 years and I have always made this a practise with family and friends. In the end it always evens out as it is always reciprocated.