Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• Helenavee42
    Helenavee42 Posts: 175
    Thank you for all the kind words.

Friday fitness: Walk walk walk. Might take my sweet deppykins to the dog park this weekend and I always get a lot of walking in there because the place is pretty big and I like to walk around and little deppy follows me around. It's been great having him with me. He is learning to be independent which is hard for a pup raised in an apartment.

Mowmow I looked at the link but it said the author deleted it.

Have a great day.
    Helena
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been around this week. Between working out, housework, babysitting, and all the start of season yard work my plate has been overflowing.. Then if all that wasn't fun enough I found out that the darn animals have brought fleas in the house so they all got dipped and remedicated yesterday and today the house gets bombed. I did have a nice experience at the gym yesterday. I had noticed this week that working out was making my left knee ache and I dont want to risk damaging it so I stopped at the front desk to see if there was someone I could talk to about exercises I could do to strengthen those muscles. They had one of the personal trainers come out and talk to me. She spent about 30 min showing me different things. I thought that was great becuase personal training does NOT come under the monthly fee I pay. Alright well I have to get busy. The fun never stops. Have a great day everyone.:bigsmile:
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    @Kris~Oh, what a welcome surprise the extra cash was. Yay!!! I tried to look at the bike you found on Craig’s List, but looks like the listing was taken down.
    The woman took it down. I had already emailed her and she responded that while her daughter didn't use the bike any longer she flipped out when Mom posted it on Craigslist so she removed it. BOOOO. It worked out for the best, I wanted to read up on bicycle maintenance and care before I got one. I'd also need to pick up the ULock, cable, basket for the back, and a few other things. I'll get those and set them aside and study up (bought Bicycle Repair & Maintence for dummies last night)... so when the right one comes along I can snap it up and get riding (or falling) right away.
    What a FANTASTIC idea! Can you share the link to your dad's journal again? I'd like to follow his adventures.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=14408
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Thank you for all your thoughts on my son. We moved here last July and thought things had gotten better, but they aren't gone yet. :grumble: My husband and I were able to sit down and talk with Jacob without him getting too defensive and we all agree on a "punishment". He says the boy was choking him and that he was simply defending himself. We shared that witnesses say it was both of them. It's hard because if he's telling the truth, then yes, I want him to defend himself, but we did talk that its never okay to be physical and reiterated that he should seek an adult. He will start with the counselor next week. Here, 6th grade is part of elementary school, so the teachers have told us it'll be good for him next year when he'll start junior high -- he'll get a fresh start after a year of adjustments.

@mackbeth -- What a great idea! I would lvoe to go on some of those types of adventures, but haven't because I was always nervous about keeping up with the fit group of people (although someday, I'm going to be one of those people :wink: )

@MyMOwMOw -- yup, sounds like he knew just what you needed and knew when you needed it the most -- Yay God!!

@Meloncholy -- I don't have any close people that have struggled with Vertigo, but I've heard its nasty. I did see something on TV a few years back that it sometimes has something to do with a fluid that gets to the wrong place of the canal. Chiropractors are suppose to be able to do a movement to get it to the right place again -- kind of like a ball going through a maze. Good luck!

@jtconst - UGH fleas! We once adopted a dog that came with fleas. What a pain!

@Helena - sorry to hear that. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

@RobinsEgg - good for you...a week is a great stretch!

Friday Fitness plan:

Monday - Water in Motion and Weights DONE
    Tuesday - Walking for 40 minutes during Emma's BBall DONE
    Wednesday - 30 DS (not done, but I did 25 crunches and 25 squats)
    Thursday - Rest DONE
    Friday - Zumba
    Saturday - Cardio and Weights
    Sunday - rest (but I hear its going to be gorgeous so maybe playing at the park with be done)
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Helena - praying for your mom - and for you!

Boho - have a great time in the forest - sounds dreamy!

mackbeth - I LOVE your idea of a large -size adventure camp and wilderness trek - I'd sign up in a heartbeat - except for the funds of course. Don't be discouraged that all of your ideas don't come to fruition - all great thinkers are like that. You need to think of a million ideas to have ONE marketable idea. And you usually need to have a good partner in marketing at your side. So start looking for one!

MowMow - I love it that your got extra money in the mail. I'm a BIG believer in EXPECTING money to come my way not in HOPING money will come my way. I think there is a big difference in the way you think about things. I would wait on the bike since your struggling with groceries right now. I would keep a financial cushion for next month. I'm always spending ahead of my expectations so I know how tempting it is to get a little money and want to buy something for yourself.

Mel - congrats on your 2.5 lb weight loss. I hope your vertigo is gone by now. I had it once and I went to a hearing institute where they cured it right away by tipping me backward and upside down on a table. It was an amazing and rapid cure.

tih - hope things get straightened out with your son - I know its a worry, but I'm sure he's a dear boy and doesn't want to be a trouble. Thank goodness school is almost out.

Well its Friday - and yesterday was a FUN day. I got to accompany a friend on a 3 hour drive to go pick up a new dog for her and her hubby. They had to put their collie down last week and decided to adopt a new one and yesterday the new dog was located at an animal shelter in another state. She called me to ride with her and we had a ball - the new dog was very gentle and sweet - a 10 lb ball of 1/2 cairn terrier and 1/2 shiat zhu and addicted to kisses! A little boy, he rode in my lap or in the back seat all the way home! And of course, once inside their house, he had to piddle on 3 walls to christen his new home. They are delighted with their new baby!
  • TOPSmarca
    TOPSmarca Posts: 187 Member
    Friday fitness..... Spring cleaning or walking or a LS walking workout at least 5 times this week!!!! Getting the Spring cleaning happening today with hired and forced help!!! The forced help are my 2 that still live at home!!!

Have a great day all!!!!
    Marca:bigsmile:
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Hi everyone.

Hope you all are having a healthy day!

Quote of the day: - Stressed spelled backwards is desserts. Coincidence? I think not! ~Author Unknown
  • Desdemina
    Desdemina Posts: 150 Member
    Happy Friday, everyone!

Helena, try not to worry too much until you know there's something to worry about! I had a breast biopsy a few years ago for a lump or mass or whatever and it turned out just to be calcium deposits. Later the doctor asked me if I would have preferred they waited on the biopsy and just kept an eye on it and I said no, because it's better safe than sorry! What if it HAD been something? So it seems most doctors will test for cancer even if there's a good chance it's nothing just to play it safe.

lmackbeth -- I would do that! Especially if it also adapted to problems overweight people tend to have, like arthritis. I'd love to go do more outdoorsy stuff, but I'm always afraid that my knee will start to hurt and I will be stuck because it hurts too much to walk back or whatever.

I had good news today! We had a Derby party at work and there was a dessert contest. I made a cake with roses on the top and little horses around the side. It won first place and I got a really nice basket of goodies. Which, of course, contained a lot of sweets, but I shared those with coworkers. There's non-food stuff in there, too, like a Derb t-shirt, travel mug, coasters, glasses and a really nice container it was all wrapped in. I'm so excited!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    bump!
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Friday fitness: Do I get credit for walking around with the baby? She was really hungry about 30 min. before her mommy could feed her at noon. The only thing that kept her happy was walking around outside. Because of my knee I was going very slowly, but I was walking.
    I like the May challenges. I have already started toward a new look. My hairdresser is helping me a get little bit longer style, I had my new clothes shopping and I did buy some things that would not be typical for me. This week I ordered a belt, just a fun decorative belt to draw attention to my waist. Although I am still probably at least 60# overweight, I do have a defined waist. I don't want to hide it under baggy clothes.
    Good luck to those who are struggling. And congratulations on the victories.
    Kaye
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Kaye- Walking a baby certainly counts as exercise. Glad your knee held up.

macbeth- your wilderness adventure sounds great and I would do something like that as well, especially when I was heavier. Even now, I am still obese and would feel more comfortable knowing the equipment could accommodate a larger frame.

Robin- love the picture of the dog.

Karen- I can total understand not accomplishing what we want during open periods. Today, I was going to finish my grading after school but instead ended up planning for next week with a co-worker, then making copies and before I knew it 5pm had arrived. I was also planning during my 6th period. My kids are going crazy and ready for summer to be here. In reality, so am I but we still have 29 days of school left this year.

Meloncoly- Tlh is right about the chiropractor and helping with Vertigo. It has to do something that floats in the fluid in the semi-circular canals found near the inner ear. When these things get out of wack or out of balance we start to feel dizzy- hence Vertigo. A chiropractor does a specific movement with your head that shakes up the floaty things which helps to get you back in balance. When the vertigo comes back take note of which way the room is spinning and let your doctor know. Vertigo is no fun and I hope you get over it soon.

Update- My trainer was suppose to go rock climbing with me but he chicken out tonight. :explode: He did not even have the courtesy to come right out and say that did not want to climb.:grumble: He brushed it off as he was waiting to hear from his 6:30 appointment if they could move to 5:30pm and that was at 1:30 today. :mad: :mad: :mad: He knew about this climb for over a week since he choose the date and he waited until the last minute to clear his schedule. I am truly disappointed in him. Part of me wants to send him an email but I am guessing that won't make an impact, I could just blow off my next session with him but that won't make me feel better. Now, I need to decide how I am going to handle it. Not even an email to say he was sorry for not showing up or canceling. I do realize that he can not be counted on to be true to his word and he has lost a great deal of creditability with me and now I have no desire to work my butt off for him or meet a new challenge. I will be interested to see if he offers to reschedule but I have no hope in that either. Even if he does, my trust in him is lost for now.

I did use my anger with him to climb harder walls tonight and it felt good. The walls were challenging but I made it to the top of a couple of 5.8 and 5.9's. That has to do with the level of difficulty with 5.0 being easy, 5.10+ being very difficult. I am climbing at the intermediate range.

Grading goals
    Regrades done
    comic strips 60/90 one class to go.
    7th grade filter projects 0/29
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @laurie--yeah, my kids are crazy as well! My seniors only have 2 weeks left and then final exams; underclassmen have 3 weeks and then finals. Can't wait for this year to be over! As far as your trainer blowing off the climb--that's really jerky of him! I totally get why you are mad and feel you can't trust him now. I hope he reschedules and lives up to his promise.

@kaye--I would totally count the half hour of walking.

@des--congrats on winning the dessert contest! :drinker:

@tom--hey there!

@marca--glad you are getting back on track with the fitness routine!

@robin--love the puppy pic!

@tammy--that's great that you got so much help at your gym!

Friday fitness:
    Did okay with fitness this week and my race is on Sunday.

I went way over on calories today, but between the gym tomorrow and the 8k on Sunday, I should be able to make up for the calories.

I also need to grade this weekend--the papers are starting to pile up, so back to the list to motivate me.

Grading goals:
    1. 10/47 AP open prompt essays
    2. 15/47 Siddhartha journal reflections
    3. x/47 AP Lit Theory papers
    4. read "Rainy River" from The Things They Carried
    5. x/11 analysis activities
  • ishylynn
    ishylynn Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I am looking to join a motivation group, and this seemed like the right one. My name is Michelle.

I have had my thyroid removed, and medication doesn't always fix everything. Most people without a thyroid have trouble with weight creeping up even if we are doing everything right.

I am also in a job where I am increasingly in the public eye, and I'm a bit uncomfortable with that without extra weight, so the weight certainly isn't helping. And yet, I spend a lot of time at my computer, so I sit way too much.

On the exercise side, I'm a tribal bellydancer, and I love it. I do tribal fusion and American Tribal Style. Part of this is a commitment to practice a bit more, as I'm at an intermediate level and the challenges and performances are starting to get higher. I'm not interested in making that a professional gig, just having fun, but my troupe still has several performances this summer, and having my tummy sticking out makes me very nervous (tribal costumes are actually pretty modest, but they do show belly).
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Des - how exciting that you won the Derby contest at work! How neat to have all those collectibles! I watch the Kentucky Derby and the Triple Crown Races every year with a fever pitch excitement. I can't believe we haven't had a Triple Crown winner since '78. Hope we have one this year.

Laurie - I am hopping mad over the way your trainer treated you too! :explode: I would be very frank in your talk with him when you get around to it and chide him like a child for bailing on you!!!
    On another note, I found these bunch of climbing pictures and thought you'd enjoy them:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/these-photos-will-make-your-stomach-drop

skinny - good luck with your 8k tomorrow ! I know you'll do fantastic!

ishylynn - welcome to MFP - I think you are our first belly dancer. It sounds like fun and vigorous exercise. Hopefully with a little help and motivation you can be in better shape for this summer's performances.

Last night was a biggie for me in that my brothers and sisters all reunited for the first time in 10 years, all 5 of us. I had seen everyone but my oldest sister who I had not seen in 10 years, she lives in Las Vegas. The rest of us live in Omaha. She was in Omaha for a few short days and we got together last night for a few drinks and reminiscing. We spent 2 -1/2 hours together and then it was over. I don't think I'll ever see her again, due to our ages. It was nice, but very superficial - no deep talk at all. I could have been talking to strangers in a supermarket aisle. Very odd.
  • Helenavee42
    Helenavee42 Posts: 175
    Good morning. Me and a coworker are sadly in the office this beautiful Saturday morning. It's cool but in a refreshing way.

Saturday success: While I did not walk last night I did weedwack and edge both my front yard and back yard. I will definitely be walking today if not biking with my sister.

Again thank you all for your kind words.

Des: I know I shouldn't worry until we get the results but I overheard my mom on the phone with a nurse talking about how it looks like it could possibly be terminal. That really freaked me out. I am trying to stay calm. She has had this mass longer than shes told the dr. but I am just really glad she finally decided to take action. I think she had some sort of epiphany because previously she would say how if she had cancer she wouldn't do treatment and now she wants to fight it (which is soooo great to hear).

Have a great weekend!
    Helena
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Saturday Success: Well, I'm down 2#. I am now .4 away from ONEderland. Maybe tomorrow. I can hardly wait, in case you haven't noticed.:wink:
    Robin- I'm sorry your visit with your family wasn't more emotionally satisfying. I am very close to my sisters so that does seem really strange. Are you close to any of your siblings?
    I forgot to make a note and now the name has escaped me, but I am sorry that you are worrying about your mother's health and possible cancer. That is very scary.
    ishylynn-welcome. I can't even imagine my tummy in a belly dancing costume. Seven babies, including 3 C-sections, and years of obesity have done their number on me.:ohwell:
    Have a great day. I'm making a castle cake today for my grandson's 4th birthday.
    Kaye
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    This is a great thread, I want to join in! :)

*waves* I'm Laura... 30, married 7 years this July, mom of one (he's almost 17months), and as of my last weigh-in, 214 pounds. I've been on MFP since mid-February, and I'm down 26 pounds from my starting weight of 240. I started w/ MFP numbers and switched to IPOARM (TDEE-20%) about two weeks in when MFP dropped me below 1600 cals and I started gaining! Thankfully going to a different strategy worked wonders. I've dropped from a size 22 jean (and the stretchy kind at that) to a non-stretchy 16. They're both from CJ Banks (a company I highly recommend for the plus-sized, their stuff is cute and actually fits well), so my short term goal is to be in a standard Walmart size 16 (Old Navy or Faded Glory or some such) by the end of the summer. I stalled out recently for about 3 weeks, maintaining the 214, but considering how busy I was and the fact that there were tasty sugary baked goods all over my kitchen, I'm not complaining. I've been getting back on the logging habit the last several days, and I'm already seeing downward movement on the scale again, though my official weigh-in day isn't until Sunday.

Ultimate goal is 140 pounds, or 100 pounds exactly from where I started. And I don't want "skinny-fat" either, I want muscles at that 140, thanks! Last month I added plain body-weight squats to my exercises, because I was starting to have a jeans-sliding-off-the-backside issue that I do not appreciate one little bit! Mama got back, and I intend to keep it! I haven't weighed 140 pounds since I was about 17, and I thought I was a cow then (thank you, 5'9" 135lb mother built like a 70s swimsuit model). It's gonna be nice to wear 12s again (I've always been a curvacious girlie, size 8 is NOT gonna happen) and appreciate the beauty of that 140 pound body.

214. Only 15 pounds away from One-derland, which I haven't seen since I was married in 2006 (got down to 180ish for the wedding). BUT, I realized the other day that I'm 8 pounds BELOW my pre-pregnancy weight! WOOT! I am currently wearing the smallest tightest pair of jeans that I own (CJ Banks 16) and they're comfy. As in, sit cross-legged while I nurse my toddler to sleep comfy. I have no shorts that actually fit (all 18s & above) so I need to do some clothes shopping for the summer. Gonna be Goodwill though... saving the REAL shopping bash for that goal-weight celebration when I really will need an entirely new wardrobe because NOTHING I currently own will fit.

My major carrot-bait-motivation right now is my promised reward for getting to 180 pounds... A Flirty Girl Fitness package, the whole bells & whistles version with all the DVDs, the boa, and the dancer's pole... because 180 is the safety weight limit on said pole! There's also a Flirty Girl Fitness gym in my area, and I'm thinking I'll join up at that point because they have some awesome looking classes.

*peeks back at the intro post* Okay, is Saturday. NSVs, weekly positives, check. I got back on the logging horse this week, scrounged up the $$ for a bin of salad (I buy the pre-mixed in the 1pound tubs) even though payday isn't until next week, and walked (WALKED) the half mile to the play park while pushing my 25 pound son in his 30 pound stroller. It's one of those giganto travel-system things and it really does weigh about 30 pounds, esp with my laptop in the bottom carry-all so I have mah tunes! I made some great contacts for my bakery (launched just before Easter) and tomorrow I'm delivering an order of my iced sugar cookies. I've (mostly) finished building the bakery's website, and I'm just about ready to add it to the business cards I'm having printed after payday. :)
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Happy Weekend everybody. We are enjoying the start of a nice day -- not too hot, not too cold (what??? actually a spring like day??? :flowerforyou: ) My mom joined me to watch Emma's basketball game and then we went out to lunch together. Half a Cobb Salad at Ground Round...MMMM. Jacob has baseball practice this afternoon so it'll be a couple hours in a lawn chair and my book in hand. LOVE SPRING!!! :bigsmile: After that, there will be a trip to the gym for cardio and weights and then some cleaning MUST be done. :sad:

My success -- I went to a more advanced Zumba class (actually by accident) and while I didn't know all the moves, I pretty much kept up. The second song was a ton of squats and pulsing squats that I definitely felt, but was able to do (althought I couldn't go as low as most of the class). There was two songs that had some pretty intense hopping around and while the instructor showed us "modified" moves, I was able to keep with the regular ones. :smile:

@RobinsEgg - 3 hours in a car with a friend is such a gift...I bet you had a wonderful chat. I can't imagine 10 years without seeing a sibling. There are five of us as well, but we are lucky enough to only live 7 hours apart -- we are all together at least 2-3 times a year. While it doesn't sound like a deep conversation happened, I'm sure the reminiscing was nice.

@TOPSmarca - spring cleaning makes a person feel so accomplished. Maybe I need to get going on that :ohwell:

@Des - You sound pretty creative and pretty good at what you do. I enjoy making cakes and so far have made different cakes for each of my kids' birthdays. However, at this point, if you can tell what it is, I'm happy. Last year it was a Zhu Zhu pet for Emma and a roller coaster cake for Jacob. I'm hoping to take a class through the community education group to get better. I find it really relaxing/rewarding.

@grandmakaye - Yes, walking a baby definitely counts. And yay!! Onederland in sight...good for you!

@LaurieK -- sorry to hear your trainer bailed on you. But good job on channelling your feelins into the climbing, nice and healthy.

@skinnyjeans -- good luck on your race tomorrow.

Welcome to the new folks. I haven't been here that long, but this is a wonderful group of people that are so supportive and kind.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Saturday success was climbing the harder walls. I will most likely climb Monday night and see if I can handle the wall at my gym.

This will be a tough and busy week for exercise:
    Saturday- rest day
    Sunday- 14 mile bike ride with a friend
    Monday- Trainer workout- Unless I get totally angry with him for bailing on me Friday night.
    Tuesday-Gym if my meeting doesn't go to late
    Wednesday- gym if I skip a meeting that way I can workout and pack
    Thursday-Friday- I will be touring New York City- that will be plenty of walking to see the different sites including Battery Park. Not counting calories but will log in.
    Saturday- Recovery day
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Hi everyone. Well the weekend is going pretty good so far. I went to the gym and did my strength training circuit but then came home and popped on my hrm and headed to the yard. 2.5 hours later after mowing weeding picking up piles and getting my butt kicked by the weed eater (first time I have ever tried to use one) there was a ridiculously high number of calories burned. It was over 3000 so I recorded one and am moving forward from there. So I learned something today. If you try to boil eggs and then forget them they will run out of water and start exploding. Some dumb @$$ might just keep mowing her back yard thinking about how it smells like the neighbors are burning their breakfast and then go in the house and see the smoke and find the mess. :angry: Not one of my finer moments. Oh well Well I hope you all have a great weekend and I will check in tomorrow.