Eating pizza, pop tarts, & ice cream while losing weight

Options

Replies

• Jacqadactle
    Jacqadactle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If calories in is less than calories out, you will lose weight according to the Dietetics Association.

Personally, I just don't feel as well or energetic eating ice cream every day instead of fruits and other whole foods. And when I do eat sweets or "junk foods", even though they're in my caloric range, I notice a difference.

Scientifically, while hitting your macros is often used in weight loss, without including whole foods in the diet you won't hit your micros, which are just as important.

Basically, it's all about balance. Eat treats, but eat healthy, too.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! Yes if it fits your diet you can do it but sugar makes you crave sugar so you are really only making it harder on yourself. If you keep tossing pizza and icecream at your taste buds how do you ever expect the healthy food to compete? Use it like it is meant to be used - as a treat.
    Personally, I just don't feel as well or energetic eating ice cream every day instead of fruits and other whole foods. And when I do eat sweets or "junk foods", even though they're in my caloric range, I notice a difference.
    :drinker: to you both!!
    ]CatCorn.gif
    and to the corn eating cat as well!!:laugh:
    Some people just want to lose weight.

Some people want to actually be healthy.

Enjoy your crappy processed foods.

THIS!!! ^^^^^:drinker:
    I'm for feeling healthy, energetic and no sugar highs and lows... poptarts would never work for me, and I'm OK with that... they taste like cardboard ...but I say if that's the breakfast of your choice.. it's your decision to make!:smile: Just like mine might be Steel cut oats and nut butter.

I guess I don't consider a healthy portion of icecream (a nice quality one) even a comparison to poptarts... one is garbage, one has actual food value in it, depending on the brand/ingredients of the icecream
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    funny-gif-cat-dancing-dubstep.gif
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Logan's Roadhouse and I *will* be having one of their delicious 270 calorie buttery rolls! I'll have to trim elsewhere and make sure I get a little walking in, but I'll be just fine.

There is absolutely no reason you can't lose weight while eating yummy foods! For people who are just maintaining, I imagine it is even easier!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    ]CatCorn.gif
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I would caution against processed foods. While you will lose weight if your caloric use exceeds your intake, the quality of your long term health will not improve. Ice cream and pop tarts everyday will not teach your body to burn fuel as efficiently as whole unprocessed foods. Additionally, consistently consuming foods like pop tarts and ice cream increase insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes

That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy a sweet treat every now and then, but replacing your guilty pleasures with something a bit less guilty will help you long term. My former addiction? Mint chocolate chip ice cream every night religiously. I've replaced that with Greek yogurt (that comes in every flavor. Weekday breakfast? Irish oatmeal with a cup of raspberries.

I wasn't easy, but after some youtube videos and encouragement from some friends, I scaled back my relationship with processed food. I actually started seeing results, my energy levels went up, and I actually ate less. Once in a blue moon, I splurge and eat something totally indulgent. The previous commenters were correct, food shaming is out; however, I would strongly encourage you to be aware of the long term effects of pop tarts and ice cream every day. best wishes

Epic first post, welcome to the forums! :flowerforyou:

Absolute nonsense. I average between 140 - 200 g a day in sugar. As of last week my fasting blood sugar level was 71mg/dL. Sugar does NOT cause diabetes.

http://www.diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/#type2
    http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/Causes_of_Diabetes_508.pdf

For those who typically don't read sources:

Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes
    People who develop type 2 diabetes are more likely to have the following characteristics:

•age 45 or older
    •overweight or obese
    •physically inactive
    •parent or sibling with diabetes
    •family background that is African American, Alaska Native, American Indian, Asian American, Hispanic/ Latino, or Pacific Islander American
    •history of giving birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds
    •history of gestational diabetes
    •high blood pressure—140/90 or above—or being treated for high blood pressure
    •high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or good, cholesterol below 35 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), or a triglyceride level above 250 mg/dL
    •polycystic ovary syndrome, also called PCOS
    •prediabetes—an A1C level of 5.7 to 6.4 percent; a fasting plasma glucose test result of 100–125 mg/dL, called impaired fasting glucose; or a 2-hour oral glucose tolerance test result of 140–199, called impaired glucose tolerance
    •acanthosis nigricans, a condition associated with insulin resistance, characterized by a dark, velvety rash around the neck or armpits
    •history of CVD

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/DS01121/DSECTION=risk-factors

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/#x

You. Cannot. Bend. What. Works. For. You. To. Work. For. Everyone.

You're like an Atheist who won't shut up about how there is no God-- I can understand trying to educate people who are actively harming their bodies with the way they eat but for chrissakes, let people eat what they want and stop soapboxing so damn much.

Just because YOU are eating pop tarts and ice cream every day-- and feel proud enough about it to post constantly, whoopee for you-- doesn't mean everyone wants to, should, or has to be like you to be successful!

Please just stahp

stahp.

What about what was posted, which was info from what appears to be a legit source, was wrong? Seems like he was providing evidence that is contrary to popular belief (by many outside of MFP as well) to educate people that some things they thought may have been misguided. I see no problem here and no reason for the 'stahp' comments.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I had a pizza bagel for dinner and am contemplating a pop tart for dessert. Actually, I can't decide between a pop tart or ice cream. All within my macros. (I ate very healthy for breakfast and lunch)

Some people can't eat in moderation, I can't NOT eat in moderation. If I cut everything fun and tasty out of my diet I rebel and eat it all.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! Yes if it fits your diet you can do it but sugar makes you crave sugar so you are really only making it harder on yourself. If you keep tossing pizza and icecream at your taste buds how do you ever expect the healthy food to compete? Use it like it is meant to be used - as a treat.

What's the deal on those of you pushing us all to eat poptarts? If you like them eat them if you like, as long as you know the ingredients and make an educated decision for yourself..go for it. Why the big hoopla about the rest of us eating crap if we're not interested?

There are some working to get healthier, overcome binge disorders, T2's, those interested in giving up the crap food in general and the poster above has an excellent point. Simple sugars create huge cravings for some that are tough to tame. Even a treat of a junk carb can do someone in that's working hard to make healthier choices. Some DO need to steer clear of the junk food to get and stay healthy... it's triggering for some. If it's not for you, then just pipe down and pop one in the toaster and leave the rest of us to eat what we want. :tongue:

I find it odd and quite strange that poptarts are now a buzz word on MFP ....because really who cares if you eat poptarts.. I eat a variety of foods but I don't recall ever starting thread after thread telling everyone else they too HAVE to believe in eating the same thing I do.

Attention seeking perhaps or is it boredom? I have no idea but I do think it's become a strange fad on MFP to start a poptart thread and say how great it is for the world to eat them.:noway: :laugh: when most of us really don't care what junk food you prefer.

shrugs:yawn: :wink:

pop tarts are a metaphor for all of the foods that food phobics fear and disparage.

also, they taste good.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I would caution against processed foods. While you will lose weight if your caloric use exceeds your intake, the quality of your long term health will not improve. Ice cream and pop tarts everyday will not teach your body to burn fuel as efficiently as whole unprocessed foods. Additionally, consistently consuming foods like pop tarts and ice cream increase insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes

That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy a sweet treat every now and then, but replacing your guilty pleasures with something a bit less guilty will help you long term. My former addiction? Mint chocolate chip ice cream every night religiously. I've replaced that with Greek yogurt (that comes in every flavor. Weekday breakfast? Irish oatmeal with a cup of raspberries.

I wasn't easy, but after some youtube videos and encouragement from some friends, I scaled back my relationship with processed food. I actually started seeing results, my energy levels went up, and I actually ate less. Once in a blue moon, I splurge and eat something totally indulgent. The previous commenters were correct, food shaming is out; however, I would strongly encourage you to be aware of the long term effects of pop tarts and ice cream every day. best wishes

Epic first post, welcome to the forums! :flowerforyou:

Absolute nonsense. I average between 140 - 200 g a day in sugar. As of last week my fasting blood sugar level was 71mg/dL. Sugar does NOT cause diabetes.

http://www.diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/#type2
    http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/Causes_of_Diabetes_508.pdf

For those who typically don't read sources:

Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes
    People who develop type 2 diabetes are more likely to have the following characteristics:

•age 45 or older
    •overweight or obese
    •physically inactive
    •parent or sibling with diabetes
    •family background that is African American, Alaska Native, American Indian, Asian American, Hispanic/ Latino, or Pacific Islander American
    •history of giving birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds
    •history of gestational diabetes
    •high blood pressure—140/90 or above—or being treated for high blood pressure
    •high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or good, cholesterol below 35 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), or a triglyceride level above 250 mg/dL
    •polycystic ovary syndrome, also called PCOS
    •prediabetes—an A1C level of 5.7 to 6.4 percent; a fasting plasma glucose test result of 100–125 mg/dL, called impaired fasting glucose; or a 2-hour oral glucose tolerance test result of 140–199, called impaired glucose tolerance
    •acanthosis nigricans, a condition associated with insulin resistance, characterized by a dark, velvety rash around the neck or armpits
    •history of CVD

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/DS01121/DSECTION=risk-factors

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/#x

You. Cannot. Bend. What. Works. For. You. To. Work. For. Everyone.

You're like an Atheist who won't shut up about how there is no God-- I can understand trying to educate people who are actively harming their bodies with the way they eat but for chrissakes, let people eat what they want and stop soapboxing so damn much.

Just because YOU are eating pop tarts and ice cream every day-- and feel proud enough about it to post constantly, whoopee for you-- doesn't mean everyone wants to, should, or has to be like you to be successful!

Please just stahp

stahp.

BRAVA! BRAVA! :flowerforyou: Thank you.

Um, he started the topic...if you dont like what he is posting, go somewhere else.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    funny-gif-cat-dancing-dubstep.gif

that exact gif is new to me. i've seen parts of it, but not the whole thing. very funny. :drinker:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

tumblr_m4u1a4Mgk41rwcc6bo1_250.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked this thread hasn't gotten locked yet from all the butthurt going on.

Who wants to join me for chicken alfredo and tiramisu tonight?

You know, I've never had tiramisu. I've always wanted to try, sounds delicious, but the opportunity has never really arisen. I should remedy this.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Elitist alert!
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Lots of studies suggest people develop binge eating disorders from overly restrictive diets, and labeling food as bad or good is part of the ugly binge cycle. I know I cannot eat a square of chocolate, and be satisfied so I have bigger treats less often. like two Dove milk chocolate bars on the weekend. Yes it fits my calorie range and macros are not too off. I am satisfied after and don't feel the urge to keep eating as long as I plan a largish portion.I also know 1200 calories will set me off. Though my Diary is set at 1200 I am for 1500-1600 a day. The scale is moving slower than I like. I have started counting calories a while before I joined, am stalling but have gone down a pant size though I only lost 4 pounds:huh: since joining MFP. Progress is slow but it is still progress. It does work.
  • Galathea96
    Galathea96 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked this thread hasn't gotten locked yet from all the butthurt going on.

Who wants to join me for chicken alfredo and tiramisu tonight?

You know, I've never had tiramisu. I've always wanted to try, sounds delicious, but the opportunity has never really arisen. I should remedy this.

You should. Tiramisu is glorious!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Maybe this works for you (although I don't know how), but I don't think that should be recommended to any one trying to lose or even maintain their weight. Sure you shouldn't give up the foods you love, but eat them in moderation. Eating ice cream everyday is not moderation and is ridiculous, for anyone actually even someone not trying to lose weight.

I agree. Eating ice cream everyday is just not healthy. Even if you can do it and still lose weight. You have to think about what it does to your body in the long run. Junk food turns your body into junk. Eventually it will break down. We are talking about making you more susceptible to diseases like diabetes and cancer and heart disease even stroke. It's ok once in awhile ,but daily is another story.

*sigh*. You need to look at the big picture and it is ridiculous to think that someone who eats ice cream every day is ridiculous. I am a 45 year old woman with a sub 20% body fat who has a desk job. I also get my nutrients from the other foods I eat. My health markers are extremely good.

Quite frankly, looking at one item in isolation and making assumptions and insinuations is ridiculous.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

jimmies-1-knowyourmeme.png
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Well done, OP.

For it is has been written: Man cannot live on egg whites and whey protein shakes alone.

We who are about to dine on donuts salute you.

Poptarti conquistano tutti!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    deliverycaptain.jpg?w=720

Now THAT was just plain rude.

If by "rude" you meant "hilarious", and/or "accurate and fair", then YES.

Well, apparently dear, we have different definitions of what constitutes "hilarious" and/or "accurate and fair". :heart:
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    yup true true true!! I lost it all with pizza cheeseburgers, bagels beer wine ice cream daily!:) Its great once u know the Secrets!!
    Its friday :) lets pahhhteeee
    Kristian rocco