Embarrassed to go jogging because of pervs.

Options

Replies

• JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    IF and WHEN (notice the big if and when) I get any "attention" I take it as a compliment. I used to run in my neighborhood and the sidewalk near a busy street but I've been going to trails lately.

Also...I ALWAYS make sure I'm aware of my surroundings. That makes me feel more in control.
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Find a trail/path with no cars or maybe a school track that you can use :)
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    awwwww too pretty to run.

and what are you scared of? people taking a piss?

... taking THE piss.

It's creepy guys that are the problem....

if that doesnt mean expelling urine from your body, then i have no idea what it does mean.

'Taking the piss'...How do you not know what that means?! I mean, okay it's not an American phrase but do you live in a cave with your fingers in your ears and your eyes closed or do you just pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist. Pfft!

its not considered a cave, per se, but it is dark...and damp.

oh i know the rest of the world exists, i guess i was busy practicing my spanish for the future instead of british slang. seems i wasnt au fait with that term. my apologies.

Your Mum's basement, entiendo!
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Dont be embarrased. I walk A LOT and I get the same thing. I put my music on, put my sunglasses on and mostly ignore it, but i do see it as a compliment. Of course men are going to look at me, I'm freaking hot!! lol!!
  • merciespermile
    Options
    I used to feel the same way when running along a busy street.. I had no other option unless I wanted to drive somewhere to run, and I felt safer along a busy road than a trail with no people at all. Wear earbuds, turn up the music, and screw everyone else! Before you know it, you'll wonder why you ever felt embarrassed in the first place.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    It's British slang, dude.

g'day to you too, friend!

It's "MATE". Get it right.

Whoa there! No one is asking to mate. Now you're the one being creepy. Slow down and get to know the guy first.

I run at 5:30 am and it's pretty rare for me to see much of anyone.

srsly, i hardly know ye!

We can fix that...

tumblr_m141ifXgY41rqfhi2o1_250.gif
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way when running along a busy street.. I had no other option unless I wanted to drive somewhere to run, and I felt safer along a busy road than a trail with no people at all. Wear earbuds, turn up the music, and screw everyone else! Before you know it, you'll wonder why you ever felt embarrassed in the first place.

Thank you! I'm just gunna go for it.... screw it. I'll turn my music up and it should be fine. :smile:
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been laughed at while I'm running. I just smile and wave. It's not going to make me quit.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

'Taking the piss'...How do you not know what that means?! I mean, okay it's not an American phrase

You just answered your own question. I'm sure many people have never heard of this phrase before (I hadn't until this thread). And I doubt most people in the threads jump straight to a person's profile to figure out what nationality they are. So its a perfectly logical remark to state that one does not know certain slang phrases at a given moment.

To the OP: I agree, take it as a compliment. You're one sexy mo-fo! Honestly its your health, you shouldn't let other outside influences so wholly unrelated to yourself hinder your weightloss journey!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Oh and I crank up my music and sing (not loud but ya know) while running. I'm sure I look nuts so no one is going to mess with me!
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Blasting your music in your buds while running on a street isn't safe, I always run with one out that way you can hear cars coming up behind you or that super creepy perv that might be following you.... I personally take it as a compliment but then again I'm an old lady so I take what I can get.
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options
    bring your mp3 player :) cant hear anyone & I look forward so I mean business I could not see someone waving because I am focused :)
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    It's a common phrase in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_the_piss

you crazy brits.

this is 'murica!

Haha, it's the internet not 'murica you silly 'murican!

OP Earbuds and pepperspray. Works like a charm :wink:
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

'Taking the piss'...How do you not know what that means?! I mean, okay it's not an American phrase

You just answered your own question. I'm sure many people have never heard of this phrase before (I hadn't until this thread). And I doubt most people in the threads jump straight to a person's profile to figure out what nationality they are. So its a perfectly logical remark to state that one does not know certain slang phrases at a given moment.

To the OP: I agree, take it as a compliment. You're one sexy mo-fo! Honestly its your health, you shouldn't let other outside influences so wholly unrelated to yourself hinder your weightloss journey!

I'm not American or British and I know it. And I'm not American and I still know American phrases. You need to travel more.
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options

omg or telling people "no worries" (its like no problem) some reply back with a serious "I wasn't worried"???? lol
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    Ignore it and continue with your run. I'd understand your concern if people were jumping out of their cars and groping you, but a few whistles or a "yo, shawty, lemme get yo numba!" really isn't going to harm you in any way. Get some earbuds and relax a little bit.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I hate hate hate running in the city - BUT - have taken to it for practical reasons. While I don't get cat calls etc - I was embarrassed/shy among all the 'runners' that flank my park laden part of town - I found that wearing a ball cap and sunglasses makes me feel invisible to others and it has helped me get out there (i know its like a child covering their eyes and thinking no one can see them, but whatever works right)

- while I like wearing ear buds, I hate not being able to hear who is coming up behind me
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Have you considered ear buds?

This. With music coming out of them.

Um, yeah so you can't hear the guy with the rope and duct tape following you in the beat-up old van with darkened windows?! Not smart. Be alert at all times. So many people get hit by cars, bikes and mugged because they have ear buds and music playing - and can't hear or sense what is going on around them.

tumblr_lv8bolEFau1r61gmdo1_400.jpg
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens here...even just walking with my kids all the maintenance truck guys will physically SLOW DOWN their vehicles...No shame...It's like, WTF?! Do I have to wear a trash bag and make myself up like a sea hag to enjoy some peace on my damn street?

They do it to anything with a vagina...so no, I am not trying to brag here.
This discussion has been closed.