• nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Marriage causes abstinence

:laugh:
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    I don't understand abstinence at all, your virginity isn't a gift to give someone, it was treasured before because back then there was no DNA tests and wealthy men wanted to insure that the son that will inherit his wealth is ACTUALLY his.
    Sex isn't a gift to give to man either, since both parties should be able to enjoy it equally if it is done right.
    To all the men and women saying that they would date someone with "too many miles on them", shame on you. How does respecting someone correlates with how many ****s you had in you?!
    Also abstinence is the most ridiculous form of contraception, use condoms
    Educate yourselves and stop slut-shaming.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCw2MzKjpoo

100% fool proof is ridiculous?
    Teenagers doing abstinence programs are more likely to have sex within 2 years, more likely to have unprotected sex and therefore are more likely to get STDs and more likey to get pregnant. There is plenty research to support this.
    That's what I meant.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Nope, would never date someone like that unless I thought I could seduce them into sex.

You could end up marrying someone who is terrible in bed.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    And besides any moral/religious reasons, also remember that increased number of sexual partners results in increased STD risk. If a woman has 4 sexual partners, she has almost 85% of contracting HPV. Higher number of sexual partners has also been linked to increased risk of prostate cancer. Also, 1.3 million unplanned pregnancies in the united states come from unmarried partners which is more than twice the rate in married couples even though the number of ttal pregnancies are almost the same.
    A federally-funded University of Pennsylvania study published in the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine found that only one third of sixth- and seventh-graders who completed abstinence-focused programs had sex within the next two years, compared to nearly half of the students who attended other classes, including ones that taught combined abstinence and contraception
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0024658
    How effective is abstinence in preventing pregnancy and STIs?

Abstinence from intercourse and oral sex is the most effective way to avoid pregnancy and STIs, but a sense of self-control and commitment are necessary for this method to be effective. You need to be aware that how you define abstinence, meaning the behaviors you include and exclude, will raise or lower your risk for pregnancy and STIs. Pregnancy could occur if pre-ejaculate or ejaculatory fluid is deposited near the opening of the vagina. STIs such as human papilloma virus (HPV) and herpes can be transmitted by skin-to-skin contact while others such as gonorrhea and hepatitis can be transmitted by oral-genital contact.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22022362
    The United States ranks first among developed nations in rates of both teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. In an effort to reduce these rates, the U.S. government has funded abstinence-only sex education programs for more than a decade. However, a public controversy remains over whether this investment has been successful and whether these programs should be continued. Using the most recent national data (2005) from all U.S. states with information on sex education laws or policies (N = 48), we show that increasing emphasis on abstinence education is positively correlated with teenage pregnancy and birth rates. This trend remains significant after accounting for socioeconomic status, teen educational attainment, ethnic composition of the teen population, and availability of Medicaid waivers for family planning services in each state. These data show clearly that abstinence-only education as a state policy is ineffective in preventing teenage pregnancy and may actually be contributing to the high teenage pregnancy rates in the U.S.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Just depends on the two people involved. Some people do wait for non-religious reasons-they've looked at all the options and have decided that abstinence is the best option for them (wrong time to have any risk of pregnancy, for example). The post from the man in the military was really beautiful. But he wouldn't be for everyone as we've seen here. Those who want to make sure they are sexually compatible wouldn't be content or comfortable with someone who wants to wait for marriage. As long as people are honest with each other, that stuff will sort itself out early.
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Le sigh.... My husband was supposed to be a booty call. So because of my loose moral standards, I created a very nice relationship.. 10 years so far. Good for you for abstaining! I didn't. I like sex. A lot. I'm glad I found someone who does it right and is also a stellar human being. :wink:
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    For some reason I feel like a 20 year old girl who is a virgin by choice should be able to speak her mind on this matter without things getting SO ugly. I mean a little joking, yeah. Not just dragged through the mud ugly like this. This has really gone way too far if you ask me. I know MFP doesn't show our ages anymore but a quick glance at her profile shows her age. She should really be treated more gingerly. Someone having these kinds of views will have a certain mindset and paradigm that shouldn't have some of the responses she's gotten.

If somebody is old enough to start a thread on the value of an intact hymen - and plenty if women are married with kids at that age, she's hardly in kindergarten - then she's old enough to understand that not everybody has the same belief system.

Something people seem to be forgetting is that those who do not see a problem with sex between people who are not married to each other; nobody said it was compulsory to have sex with anybody. It's not purity and chastity on one side and compulsory defloration on the first date on the other.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Abstinence from intercourse and oral sex is the most effective way to avoid pregnancy and STIs

I first I disagreed, I thought there was anal also until I read the STI part. Oral can be effective unless there is some swallowing or someone is on their monthly cycle.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    We are sexual beings, therefore denying the need for sex just isn't natural. But in saying that, waiting for the right one to come along before throwing yourself out there worked for me. I have only had one sexual partner and we are engaged. Sex before marriage can work.
  • sarantonio
    Options
    We are sexual beings, therefore denying the need for sex just isn't natural. But in saying that, waiting for the right one to come along before throwing yourself out there worked for me. I have only had one sexual partner and we are engaged. Sex before marriage can work.

I really have nothing to say about this. ^^ I just found your ticker ironic
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'll just say this. There is a reason most every form of major religion for millennia has practiced chastity abstinence celibacy and the sacredness of our sexuality. Sometimes to step back and pay homage to our temple our body wether it be maintaining purity, meditating, practicing tantric, or just respecting it is divine.

Prove there is a divine before you start using it as a premise. Then, define which religions are "major" and why. Lastly, provide evidence that those major religions advocate chastity et al..
  • sarantonio
    Options
    I'll just say this. There is a reason most every form of major religion for millennia has practiced chastity abstinence celibacy and the sacredness of our sexuality. Sometimes to step back and pay homage to our temple our body wether it be maintaining purity, meditating, practicing tantric, or just respecting it is divine.

Prove there is a divine before you start using it as a premise. Then, define which religions are "major" and why. Lastly, provide evidence that those major religions advocate chastity et al..

Not A divine YOU'RE divine
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    This thread is taking a turn for the worse, because of course.

Yyyyyyyyyep.
  • emergencytennis
    Options

Not A divine YOU'RE divine

Thanks. So are you :)
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    One issue that I've seen with waiting is that it can encourage a couple to get married before they're ready- nothing like rushing to get married only to realize you two weren't the match made in heaven you thought.

My husband and I both had other partners.. and that's okay with me.
  • logicofsound
    Options
    At first I had planned to wait - made it to 18, so didn't do too bad. I'd wanted to show any potential future progeny that it *could* be done. And admittedly I felt like a failure for a while, and that I had become 'used goods.' Then I discovered it didn't actually matter that much, and that I rather enjoy sex in a long-term monogamous relationship.

I'd rather that everyone did what was right for themselves when it comes to this, regardless of their reason. If you said you wanted to sleep with 100 men before thirty, by golly I'd support that (but hope like hell you'd either get them all tested or get yourself tested all the time), just as I support your abstaining.

As to the below:

If by 'major religion', you mean abrahamic. Because, you know, a lot of the roman ones didn't. Some indian ones didn't (and don't). And so forth. In fact, the abrahamic ones are interestingly 'pure' in that respect. There were a few reasons why -

-children are property. A man wanted to know the child was his. The ONLY guarantee was that she was a virgin.
    -one group is considered superior to another, and restricting sexuality can also restrict interbreeding

Also, in the abrahamic religions sex wasn't particularly special in the old testament. Rather, people are told to go kill the men and rape the women (let me know if you want a quote). Lot sent his *virgin* daughters out to a group of men to be... used (admittedly they're saved before it gets that far). Then, we also have the interesting Song of Solomon...
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Sex in and of itself is not "morally wrong".

I believe God designed it as a special gift between a husband and wife.
    It is the most intimate part of your relationship.

When you wait you are demonstrating a selfless type of love that says, I love you so much that I am willing to deny myself in order to do what is best for you and our marriage.
    It is the highest level of respect you can give someone.

I don't see it as a restriction but rather as a protection from a loving God.
    He wants the very best for people and knows that more and more of that special intimacy and trust will be lost with each subsequent sexual partner.

My personal opinion is to do whatever you want with your body and sleep with whoever your want, the choice is only yours; not mine.

However, to say that "God wants the very best for people and knows that more intimacy and trust is lost with each partner" is, in my opinion, a silly way to think. I also think this statement could only come from someone who does not have the experience of intimacy and trust with many people.

I am 33 years old and have had 4 "long term' relationships in my past. Each one of these men I shared a major part of my journey with. I loved each one in a different way, learned many unique things from each one and learned SOO much about 'intimacy and trust' (among other things). I feel my past has made me a WAAAY better person for my current partner.

I also wanted to add that people have done studies and surveys on elderly people. When they were asked what their biggest regret in life is the number one answer comes up "Wish I had more sex AND wish I experimented with other people" (also travelling more and spending more money comes up).

So, I don't want to be 99 in an old age home with any regrets! Ha ha that's why I spent my 20's travelling, have had a lot of sex and am broke!!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I think some people live in a dream world.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I think that is totally AWESOME and only wish I had had the fortitude to do it that way. One of the most horrible things about our culture today is family instability and that is one way to combat that. Children are much more likely to be sexually promiscuous, engage in drug-seeking behavior, commit suicide, drop out of school, etc when families break apart (Statistics- don't argue). Saving yourself for marriage is no guarantee but it surely ups your odds of having an intact family to nurture your future children. I wish you well!.

I agree that a stable home life promotes the welfare of children, but how does saving yourself for marriage mean that you are less likely to divorce?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I would never do it. In my opinion, physical/sexual compatibility is MANDATORY in a marriage, and its important to know that its there before you agree to spend the rest of your life with someone. I'd hate to think what I might have missed out if I'd have married someone who didn't do it for me in that department.

To each their own though....