Group LLC (Livin Low Carb) - August 2010

Options

Replies

• sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Hey LLCers.....I am just irritated....the last couple of days I have gone over my 20 grams.........Not by a ton but over. Now I have not had anything bad, but I went over cause of almonds....yep....I love em...so I had em and they made me go over......I am losing, but argh....staying under those darn carbs are killin me.....................

What do you all think......stress out?
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I've started the low carb option this morning and would like to join in please.

I've lost 19lb since mid June. The first part was on my own by cutting right back and I lost 14 pounds, then I joined MFP and followed the guidelines given and I've only lost a further 5 pounds in 3 weeks and now the weight has just stopped coming off. Of course I was pleased at first but when you've been stuck for three weeks you get fed up.

After reading and help from friends on here I am happy to go low carb. Not because I think it's a fad but the science is logical to me.

I'm 168 pounds today so I think it will be interesting to see if anything happens. Fingers crossed and hope my possitive attitude stays with me.

I live in the UK and some of the ingredients baffle me so I may be asking a few questions if that's OK.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Morning LC'ers!
    Well, total fail yesterday - I ate bread, put me over my carb allowance...
    Then I drank about 1.5 bottle wine... so I hit the dark chocolate :sad: :embarassed:

Savery - I usually julienne the red pepper, add a little cajun spice and pan fry with real butter - it was mixed with the asparagus spear and green beans - yummy delish! My husband always adds soya when he makes the veggies - but I can't handle that much sodium! As for the cheese - no, i meant the regular shredded cheese in the bags. I read that Kraft in particular adds potato meal to it so that the cheese would not stick together. Again, not sure if it's true for all shredded cheese, but you may want to check the ingredient list!
    Sassie - It's not an epic fail - I would count the nuts as a fat and not a carb :wink: but that's just me living in denial! I wouldn't stress of freak out too much about it. Just reign it in a little. count out your allowance and hide the rest in the freezer or something :tongue:
    Welcome Lilly - Hope you get the results you are looking for through LC - are you going to follow atkins or Paleo?

Out of curiosity - although in Canada, particularly Montreal, you cannot find any of the "Atkins" prepared foods/snacks - I'll be in the US for labor day - last time I was there I picked up some of the Atkins brand Indulgence bars/treats and was thinking about getting some more. I'm not a huge prepared treat person, but wanted to see what you all thought of the Atkins brand shelf foods?
  • ColetteDuchnowski
    Options
    I have my calories set at 1400. I usually go over my fat allotment too, but I usually don't worry about it either. I am more concerned with the net carbs and stay within my protein and calorie goals.

Colette

Low carb diets definitley work the best for me. Are any of you watching calories or fat while your doing atkins?? i know in the past all i looked at was the carbs....but should i be looking at calories and fat also?

Hi dmalbrand! I don't count my calories or fat at all-I have my calorie intake set fairly high and then everything else set accordingly so I don't worry about it. I don't think that anyone wants to exceed the fat limits TOO much but I really don't know a whole lot about that. I generally exceed MFPs fat intake by 20 grams or so daily but don't worry about it because it's coming from good sources. :smile:
  • ColetteDuchnowski
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the soy. Guess I won't be having anymore of that, well I don't drink it all the time, but its good to know information.

Colette

Out of curiosity, what else does soy block absorption of? I was just thrilled to finally figure out why I was always so abnormally lethargic during TOM. During my last TOM was the first time I felt normal! It was a miracle.
    And I was really surprised to discover how many products have soy in them...my protein shake powder, my tortillas, the Atkins bars...those were just the first few I found.

Now, my Doctor told me that I could have fermented soy products, but no other soy products...........So I do use Braggs Amino Acids from time to time.

Thyroid medications for one..............

Here is more information...........

Soy also contains goitrogens - substances that depress thyroid function.

Additionally 99% a very large percentage of soy is genetically modified and it also has one of the highest percentages contamination by pesticides of any of our foods.

Soybeans are high in phytic acid, present in the bran or hulls of all seeds. It's a substance that can block the uptake of essential minerals - calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc - in the intestinal tract.

Analysis shows that calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc are present in the plant foods eaten in these areas, but the high phytate content of soy- and grain-based diets prevents their absorption.

The soybean has one of the highest phytate levels of any grain or legume that has been studied,16 and the phytates in soy are highly resistant to normal phytate-reducing techniques such as long, slow cooking.17 Only a long period of fermentation will significantly reduce the phytate content of soybeans.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Hey mojogurl - I checked out my bag of shredded cheese and sure enough, listed down at the bottom of the ingredients was potato flake! :grumble: Who would have thunk my dag on cheese would have potato in it?! I mean, is convenience really asking for that much?? Oh well, I've never noticed that it affects my weight and I eat my shredded cheese pretty much daily, so I guess I will keep on with it.
    As far as your question of the Atkins products...I do personally enjoy them. Some people I think take them to the extreme of using them as their meals when they should be more used when you need the convenience or you're on the go etc. As I'm sure lioness will chime in and say also, the ingredients list isn't exactly all natural :laugh: but they are darn tasty and I know I've successfully used any and all Atkins products over the past year without and issue. I particularly like some of the bars because they're so dessert like! My personal favorite is the peanut butter cups. :smile:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Hey all! so my complaint yesterday was over in carbs.....and now I am noticing that I am under on cals....1000 cals a day.......hmmmm I have 1 carb left for the day, so now what to do......all cheesed out.....all egged out for the day........so....suggestions?

Thanks
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Hey all! so my complaint yesterday was over in carbs.....and now I am noticing that I am under on cals....1000 cals a day.......hmmmm I have 1 carb left for the day, so now what to do......all cheesed out.....all egged out for the day........so....suggestions?

Thanks

With Atkins you don't have to worry about the calories.....................

If your hungry eat something..............if your not, then no worries.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, savory - those PB cups were sinful! I really liked the protein bars. I know there are better out there but these were so tasty!
    well, I did well yesterday - made a delicious chicken & watermelon salad, but the alcohol got the best of me and took over.:grumble:
  • saverys_gal
    Options

Thanks

With Atkins you don't have to worry about the calories.....................

If your hungry eat something..............if your not, then no worries.

I'll second lioness on this one. I have never ever watched my calories while counting carbs-and on any given day my calorie intake can be between 770 to sometimes as high as 1600, all depending on what types of carbs I'm eating. If you're hungry, eat! If not and you feel good, leave your cals at 1000 and your carbs where they are!
  • hannatrip
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I started low carb last week....I have been doing 90 carbs a day but this week Im going to try and go with less....I did Atkins a few years ago and lost 35 lbs on it and was feeling great....I have been doing low cal for a few weeks and the weight just wont budge....I am diabetic and need for my sugars to come down lower than what they do on low cal....

How long will it take to go into ketosis with carbs at 60 a day? or will I have to go down farther?
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I started low carb last week....I have been doing 90 carbs a day but this week Im going to try and go with less....I did Atkins a few years ago and lost 35 lbs on it and was feeling great....I have been doing low cal for a few weeks and the weight just wont budge....I am diabetic and need for my sugars to come down lower than what they do on low cal....

How long will it take to go into ketosis with carbs at 60 a day? or will I have to go down farther?

I don't know if you will get into ketosis with 60 grams of carbs per day..........

I have always started at 20 and worked my way up............

With you being diabetic, do you want to get off meds? You are a Type 2, correct?

Here is an article for you to read. It sure enlightened me.

http://diabetes.about.com/b/2009/03/18/very-low-carb-diet-may-reverse-type-2-diabetes.htm
    A Low-Carb Diet Shown to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes
    Study Proves Very Low Carb Diet is Effective
    From Debra Manzella, R.N., former About.com Guide
    Updated March 20, 2009

About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by our Medical Review Board
    .Ali Taylor/Stock.xchngDoes a low-carb diet really help control or even reverse type 2 diabetes1? According to a study from Duke University, a very low-carb diet (20 grams or less a day) gave participants better blood sugar control and more effective weight loss than participants who followed a low-glycemic2 reduced calorie diet.
    Eighty-four people with obesity and type 2 diabetes took part in the study. During the study, both groups also had the supportive benefit of group meetings, nutritional supplementation and an exercise program. After 6 months, the low-carb group had lower hemoglobin A1c3 results, lost more weight, and 95% were able to reduce or even totally eliminate their diabetes medications. The reduced calorie group did lose weight, and 62% of them were also able to reduce or eliminate their medications, but the low-carb diet group had better overall results.

"It's simple," says Eric Westman, MD, director of Duke's Lifestyle Medicine Program and lead author of the study. "If you cut out the carbohydrates, your blood sugar goes down, and you lose weight which lowers your blood sugar even further. It's a one-two punch."

The low-carb diet used in the study is very restrictive on carb intake, with participants eating under 20 grams of carbs a day. This may be difficult for many people to stick to, but as Dr. Westman says, "This is a therapeutic diet for people who are sick," says Westman. "These lifestyle approaches all have an intensive behavioral component. In our program, people come in every two weeks to get reinforcements and reminders. We've treated hundreds of patients this way now at Duke, and what we see clinically and in our research shows that it works."

Keep in mind that there is more to these results than just diet. Both groups also exercised regularly as well. Diet combined with exercise4 is the cornerstone of diabetes management. Before starting any diet program, please talk with your doctor, or healthcare provider.

Source:

(Jan. 5, 2009). Low-Carb Diets Prove Better at Controlling Type 2 Diabetes . Retrieved February 19, 2009, from DukeHealth.org Web site: http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/News/low_carb_diets_prove_better_at_controlling_type_2_diabetes[/link">
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Welcome hannatrip! :flowerforyou:

We're always glad to add another low carb friend! And I agree, you definitely have better results with getting your sugars down following a LC eating plan as opposed to low cal. Lioness has good advice for you!!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I went overboard on my carbs yesterdsy.But ill get back with it today. If you guys can do it so can I.

Breakfasts Bacon and eggs Glass of low carb milk.That will get me a start.

For lunch I will have egg salad. and some nice veggies

Supper will be steak and mashed califlower. salad
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hi, everybody - sorry for going MIA this weekend, incredibly busy active weekend - and no time to get online til late last night! Looks like I have a bunch of posts to catch up on! Hope y'all had a wonderful weekend!

Me, I did pretty well, a couple slip-ups off plan, but back on track today. Scale was up 0.4, to be expected, could have been worse! I'll be back later on to catch up with everyone!
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    I wish I could honestly say "happy Monday!" but I really can't today! I want to go home-I want it to be 5PM NOW! I very strongly considered staying in my bed this morning and not coming into work...but I try not to do that unless I have to. These migraines have whupped my butt since last week and I've got the hint of another one behind my eyes again today. That on top of TOM trying to come through-blargh!

Anyhoo! Breakfast was a protein shake and honey green tea with fiber.
    Lunch is whole wheat tortilla with steak, pico de gallo, cheese and sour cream.
    Dinner is pulled pork and broccoli.

Nothing complicated today at all. I need to make my grocery list and get food tomorrow! Think I will try picking up some cauliflower and mashing up just a serving for one and seeing how long that takes. The scale is going completely nuts right now with my wannabe TOM and all so I'm paying it no mind! Some days it really stinks being a woman...:grumble:
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!!!!!!

Saverys_Gal I hope you feel better soon!!!!!
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    Morning tammietifanie! Thanks for the well wishes! I need some good mojo coming my way! :wink:

*stares at clock* Almost lunch time! Looking forward to my steak wrap again!

And I'm proud to say I'm SLOWLY swapping some of my Splenda for Truvia! :drinker: I've got some in my decaf Lady Grey right now!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I need to put trivia on mu shopping list. I have used it and was please with it.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    How do you like using Truvia ?? I have always wanted to try it but wasn't sure how it taste. I try not to add anything to my drinks or food i have even stopped putting stuff in my coffee! that was a hard one to get use to but it's so worth it. I have a wedding to attend to in about 3 weeks so im trying to follow phase 1 for 2 weeks to help just start my weightlost again... Wow i forgot how hard it was to limit to phase 1 net carb intake but i know it'll help me out big time... :cry: Im going to miss my Wraps for lunch!