Everyone told me coconut oil was good for me

Options

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Not a bit of common sense here. Anybody that thinks that the fat in coconut oil is a good fat is buying into some kind of crazy sh**. The fat in coconut oil is 92%, I'll say that again 92%, saturated. Anyone here want to say that saturated fat is good for you raise your hand. No one? That's what I thought. As a comparison the fat in beef is only 50% saturated. The fat in butter is 63% saturated. You would be better off stirring butter into your coffee that coconut oil. If you want to eat coconut oil go ahead. Like anything else, moderation is the key. But saying the fat in coconut oil is a "good fat" is just insane. There is not one single piece of medical or scientific evidence or research that proves coconut oil is beneficial in any way. On the other hand we have butt loads of medical evidence that proves that too much saturated fat is horrible for your heart, arteries and intenstine. By simply applying a little common sense one could figure out that a fat that is 92% saturated could not possibly be a "good fat".

Your 'common sense' is very wrong.

Saturated fat is very good for you, and I'll raise my hand.
  • mrpcpearson
    Options
    I have high cholesterol and was advised to avoid coconut milk, dunno if coconut oil is on the 'banned' list though. Here's an article by Dr Andrew Weil. Dunno if his reputation is any good:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA316479
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Trader joes makes a coconut oil spray that is 0 Caloires and pan fries stuff just like oil. its a cooking spray!! check it out

if it's really coconut oil, be aware that they can label it "zero calories", if the calorie count is under 5 calories per serving. it likely has no fewer calories than non-spray coconut oil. (again...IF its truly coconut oil).

also, another vote for unicorn oil here.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Buy an oil spray pump and put organic extra virgin olive oil in it. Spray it in a warm pan. It'll be less calories but still 100% good for you.

Or just buy an awesome titanium (not teflon - because teflon is bad) non-stick pan and forget the oil.
    who knew they made such things??? any idea how much OO per spray??? or where to find out??
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    As for veg broth, even the low sodium has too much sodium.
    Campbell's makes a no salt added broth (not just low sodium) with 40mg sodium per serving.
  • ElisaGetsHealthy
    ElisaGetsHealthy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Nice!!
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Yikes! Not a bit of common sense here. Anybody that thinks that the fat in coconut oil is a good fat is buying into some kind of crazy sh**. The fat in coconut oil is 92%, I'll say that again 92%, saturated. Anyone here want to say that saturated fat is good for you raise your hand. No one? That's what I thought. As a comparison the fat in beef is only 50% saturated. The fat in butter is 63% saturated. You would be better off stirring butter into your coffee that coconut oil. If you want to eat coconut oil go ahead. Like anything else, moderation is the key. But saying the fat in coconut oil is a "good fat" is just insane. There is not one single piece of medical or scientific evidence or research that proves coconut oil is beneficial in any way. On the other hand we have butt loads of medical evidence that proves that too much saturated fat is horrible for your heart, arteries and intenstine. By simply applying a little common sense one could figure out that a fat that is 92% saturated could not possibly be a "good fat".

*raises hands*

*also raises hand*

Directly from my textbook (I'm currently studying to become a nutritionist):

Short Chain Fatty Acids, Medium Chain Fatty Acids, and Long Chain Fatty Acids are ways of classifying fatty acids according to their length. Our bodies need all three kinds of fatty acids to remain healthy. There is another equally important feature that must be determined for all fatty acids, regardless of how long they are: their degree of saturation. Just like a sponge can be saturated with water, fatty acids can also be saturated, not with water but with hydrogen. Just like a saturated sponge is holding all the water it can possibly hold, a saturated fatty acid is holding all of the hydrogen it can possibly hold. If it isn’t, it is called unsaturated. **To remain healthy, our bodies need fatty acids not only of all three lengths, but also of both types.**

When a fatty acid is fully saturated, it interacts the least with other molecules in the body, and it provides the most stable structure. Saturated fats are helpful structurally because they help stabilize cell membranes, and they are not very susceptible to damage because they are primarily inert and non-interactive. Unsaturated fatty acids are much more interactive and susceptible to damage, but they are critical in the body because they provide flexibility to cell membranes and allow the cells to stay in dynamic communication with their surroundings.

Point being, saturated fats ARE good for you, like everything else, in moderation.

Also I have to agree with everyone else about your doctor's advice, if you're even still reading these replies. To suggest a low-fat, high carb diet to someone with insulin resistance is exactly the opposite of helpful. I'm insulin resistant with PCOS too, and the best thing I ever did for it was give up the idea that fats are the enemy. A high-carb low fat diet is only going to make you MORE insulin resistant.
  • ElisaGetsHealthy
    ElisaGetsHealthy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So you want to be able to fry your mushrooms with something low fat and low calorie without too many chemicals? May I suggest unicorn oil? You can find it in the magical fantasy aisle of any grocery store. Either make it fit in your macros by dropping something else or give up the notion that your mushrooms *have* to be fried.

NICE!!
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    " I might as well be using butter or crisco vegetable oil. "

No. Coconut oil is much richer nutritionally than those things. And like the others said---it's a matter of "good" fats & "bad" fats. Also, 90 calories is a drop in a bucket of your overall calorie intake for the day. As long as you aren't globbing coconut oil on everything, it shouldn't be a calorie suck.

There are 0 calorie cooking sprays & whatever, if you REALLY are that scared of coconut oil, but those sprays are full of chemicals & don't have any nutritional value.

I don't need nutritional value, just something to fry my mushrooms in that is low fat and low calorie.

Yes I wont use the sprays, who knows what is in those.

You don't care about nutritional value, but won't use sprays? Get over the crap you've been told about fat. Coconut oil, and all healthy fats, are not the devil. I put coconut oil in my coffee, cook with it, get 60% of my calories from fat, and am losing about 3 pounds per week. Insulin. Insulin is what drives fat gain and loss.

Im insulin resistant so my doctor has me on a very low fat diet. I can get no more than 10% of my calories from fat.

I would seriously get a second opinion about that diet.
    http://www.amyjol.com/2013/06/low-carbohydrate-diet-improved-hba1c-weight-loss-in-diabetes.html
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    However, when you eat coconut oil with your food, your body uses about 20% of the calories to digest. So, if you are going to use oil anyway, it is best to use coconut oil in place of all other oils. ...But at least coconut oil has nutrients and helps you burn calories on the way.

Can you cite evidence for this? It is very interesting.
  • plkbplkb
    plkbplkb Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a Pampered Chef one. Just measured (sprayed into a bowl and let it drip into a measuring spoon). It took 12 short sprays to get 1/16 of a teaspoon. Granted some stuck inside the bowl a bit, but my measurements seem fairly accurate. I add about 3 sprays to my pan to scramble my egg in the morning. You can also find them at Target, etc.

This is a reply to the "where to get a sprayer and how much per spray" question. Thought I hit the correct "reply" button, but alas, I goofed.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I see what everyone here is saying... But saturated fat IS the "bad" fat that everyone should stay away from...you want omega3, and monounsaturated
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It just doesn't fit my macros. If your not going to answer the question, move along please.

First off...... *RuDE*

Second Off.... If it doesn't work for you then as you suggested why don't you just try butter or crisco.... Or *WOW* they make this stuff called Pam.... It's really low in calories. Try that.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    " I might as well be using butter or crisco vegetable oil. "

No. Coconut oil is much richer nutritionally than those things. And like the others said---it's a matter of "good" fats & "bad" fats. Also, 90 calories is a drop in a bucket of your overall calorie intake for the day. As long as you aren't globbing coconut oil on everything, it shouldn't be a calorie suck.

There are 0 calorie cooking sprays & whatever, if you REALLY are that scared of coconut oil, but those sprays are full of chemicals & don't have any nutritional value.

I don't need nutritional value, just something to fry my mushrooms in that is low fat and low calorie.

Yes I wont use the sprays, who knows what is in those.

You don't care about nutritional value, but won't use sprays? Get over the crap you've been told about fat. Coconut oil, and all healthy fats, are not the devil. I put coconut oil in my coffee, cook with it, get 60% of my calories from fat, and am losing about 3 pounds per week. Insulin. Insulin is what drives fat gain and loss.

Im insulin resistant so my doctor has me on a very low fat diet. I can get no more than 10% of my calories from fat.

I would seriously get a second opinion about that low fat diet. It is pretty much the opposite of what you want to be doing to control your insulin. Low fat diets are extremely hard to sustain for the long term.

http://www.amyjol.com/2013/06/low-carbohydrate-diet-improved-hba1c-weight-loss-in-diabetes.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/insulin-index/#axzz2YU4h94jp
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Buy an oil spray pump and put organic extra virgin olive oil in it. Spray it in a warm pan. It'll be less calories but still 100% good for you.

Or just buy an awesome titanium (not teflon - because teflon is bad) non-stick pan and forget the oil.
    who knew they made such things??? any idea how much OO per spray??? or where to find out??

I bought my pump sprayer at costco - a 2 pack for $20. You just put the oil in and pump it up then spray. It works pretty good too. I use it to spray on oil for roasting veggies too.

As for the calories.... There is no way to know for sure but I use 25 calories for a light mist and 50 if it blobs a bit - I am usually using a medium frying pan and cooking for two so I'd double it for a recipe. The above numbers is what I use per serving.
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I see what everyone here is saying... But saturated fat IS the "bad" fat that everyone should stay away from...you want omega3, and monounsaturated

wrong. Hydrogenated saturated fats - trans fats - and saturated fats from corn, soy, as well as from cows fed corn and soy, are the bad fats. Grass fed meat has the perfect Omega 3:6 ratio. Vegetable oils are all very high in omega 6 as well. Fats from whole food sources come in the correct ratios, where manufactured fats as skewed to Omega 6 making them inflammatory eaten alone without an omega 3 supplementation.
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    So you want to be able to fry your mushrooms with something low fat and low calorie without too many chemicals? May I suggest unicorn oil? You can find it in the magical fantasy aisle of any grocery store. Either make it fit in your macros by dropping something else or give up the notion that your mushrooms *have* to be fried.

Why don't you go stick your unicorn horn up your *kitten* and try being helpful instead of an a-hole.
    Move along
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    When I fry mushrooms I start with just a little olive oil in the pan (about a teaspoon), then add stock if they need more liquid. The initial time in the oil helps give them that flavor but not so much fat. Try a homemade vegetable stock (or beef if you're not vegetarian) so you can control the sodium. I like adding onions and garlic to my mushrooms for some extra flavor as well. If you don't like onions, try some onion powder just to impart the flavor.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    This has probably already been said but I am not going through seven pages. If you like coconut oil then use it. It's not the miracle supplement that people would like you to believe. It lacks EFAs such as the omega 3, 6 and 9.
  • kf4vkp
    kf4vkp Posts: 164 Member
    Options

This...

And you madam are my hero.