Why are people so negative regarding clean eating?

Options

Replies

• liftingheavy1
    Options

I see foods that are grease fried foods, and all kinds of ingredients in them you cant read on the back as junk food , and to me that is dirty eating all other food is fine pretty much go back about 60,70 years how they ate then pretty much before food was starting to be manipulated with all kinds of added stuff

So, I should just stick to Spam (created in the 30's) and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (created in the 20's) and I'm golden, right?

5q3uaJK.jpg

yf8095R.jpg

MMMMM, squeaky clean Spam.

as long as the ingredients are ok in it then yes, if you pick up a food and it has about 50 ingredients and stuff you cant pronounce then it is junk I know you guys want to play the gotcha game but it wont work :)
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Because they don't see the correlation between what goes into your mouth and disease, or they have never experienced true health.
  • liftingheavy1
    Options
    look even god said their was clean and unclean food guys case closed :) we can all go home now
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

I see foods that are grease fried foods, and all kinds of ingredients in them you cant read on the back as junk food , and to me that is dirty eating all other food is fine pretty much go back about 60,70 years how they ate then pretty much before food was starting to be manipulated with all kinds of added stuff

So, I should just stick to Spam (created in the 30's) and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (created in the 20's) and I'm golden, right?

MMMMM, squeaky clean Spam.

as long as the ingredients are ok in it then yes

You do know that the scientific names for some simple things are very long, right? Just because it's a big word, doesn't mean that it's a dangerous substance.

I think that it's easy for us to look back at the years prior and get nostalgic, romanticizing that time period. The reality is that foods from that time were often fried (of course it's regionally dependent). Food handling was not nearly as regulated and safe as it is now. Have you read The Jungle? I think that your image of what food during that time period was like is pretty off.

I get having concerns, and I'm not saying that living off of only Twinkies and hush puppies will help you lead a longer and healthier life. But, the whole premise of something being considered inherently sketchy or unhealthy because it's new or modern is, well, sketchy.
  • healthyformee
    healthyformee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Haha. True. That's because everyone here has low blood sugar from too few calories and they are all irritable. Lol
  • tiffysinc
    tiffysinc Posts: 13
    Options
    I've been on the forums for probably two weeks and I've learned one thing:

Everyone on these forums is rude and nasty about everything. They often have legitimate points, but usually say them in the meanest way possible.

not everyone. a select group who appear to think being a forum ***** burns calories, so post their vitriol everywhere....

haha just thought this post was so funny I had to let you know XD
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    look even god said their was clean and unclean food guys case closed :) we can all go home now

:noway:
  • liftingheavy1
    Options
    Too hard not to pop in especially when I see the same common users in here. I agree with much of what everyone is saying, I think both the "clean eaters" and "dirty eaters" are pretty much in agreeance over the same issues. Eat well balanced, get your proper nutrition, splurge in moderation when you need to, be realistic, have a well balanced diet you can stick with long term, stay active, include weight training. I just think this " IIFYM fad" is another diet label. I personally stay away from any and all diets.

All the attacking is a bit out of hand though. If you mention you try to avoid bacon, white rice, or ice cream watch out! I think what the IIFYM crew doesn't realize is just because someone tries to avoid a certain type of food doesn't mean that they never eat it and any user has the right to think a certain type of food is not the healthiest option without getting a barrage of attacks for your difference of opinion.

This made me laugh a bit about the 'IIFYM crowd." People think that's the highest level of leniency. People forget about the IIFYC(IF It Fits your Calories) crowd. The IIFYM crowd think they're superior to the clean eaters, the IIFYC crowd think they're superior than the IIFYM crowd. It depends on the level of abstraction.

My question to you is... you mentioned IIFYM as a fad. I do kind of agree with you, just curious what eating/dietary method you would consider that's not a fad?

I think they should just call it flexible dieting instead of iifym

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMS7KRe-InI
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I've been on the forums for probably two weeks and I've learned one thing:

Everyone on these forums is rude and nasty about everything. They often have legitimate points, but usually say them in the meanest way possible.

not everyone. a select group who appear to think being a forum ***** burns calories, so post their vitriol everywhere....

haha just thought this post was so funny I had to let you know XD

From a logic standpoint everything burns calories, even breathing, so naturally being a forum Dbag burns calories too.

Logically.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    Too hard not to pop in especially when I see the same common users in here. I agree with much of what everyone is saying, I think both the "clean eaters" and "dirty eaters" are pretty much in agreeance over the same issues. Eat well balanced, get your proper nutrition, splurge in moderation when you need to, be realistic, have a well balanced diet you can stick with long term, stay active, include weight training. I just think this " IIFYM fad" is another diet label. I personally stay away from any and all diets.

All the attacking is a bit out of hand though. If you mention you try to avoid bacon, white rice, or ice cream watch out! I think what the IIFYM crew doesn't realize is just because someone tries to avoid a certain type of food doesn't mean that they never eat it and any user has the right to think a certain type of food is not the healthiest option without getting a barrage of attacks for your difference of opinion.

This made me laugh a bit about the 'IIFYM crowd." People think that's the highest level of leniency. People forget about the IIFYC(IF It Fits your Calories) crowd. The IIFYM crowd think they're superior to the clean eaters, the IIFYC crowd think they're superior than the IIFYM crowd. It depends on the level of abstraction.

My question to you is... you mentioned IIFYM as a fad. I do kind of agree with you, just curious what eating/dietary method you would consider that's not a fad?

I don't follow any of them, so I agree they're all fads, diets, labels whatever you want to call them. There is no right or wrong way. I concentrate on the overall lifestyle and try to work with clients on in individual basis. My objective is to make a lifestyle change, not just to focus on weight loss. For some people substitutions work, some people need more resistance training, some are very successful counting their calories, some people actually prefer to eat no "dirty foods" at all. I have clients that are very into organic and don't even believe in microwaving food because it zaps the nutrients. Everyone is truly different and using one method is just not realistic for myself, probably many of the people on these boards, or my clients. I think some of these "crowds" do have a superiority complex and I can see how it can be frustrating and discouraging for some of the members on these forums.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I don't follow any of them, so I agree they're all fads, diets, labels whatever you want to call them. There is no right or wrong way. I concentrate on the overall lifestyle and try to work with clients on in individual basis. My objective is to make a lifestyle change, not just to focus on weight loss. For some people substitutions work, some people need more resistance training, some are very successful counting their calories, some people actually prefer to eat no "dirty foods" at all. I have clients that are very into organic and don't even believe in microwaving food because it zaps the nutrients. Everyone is truly different and using one method is just not realistic for myself, probably many of the people on these boards, or my clients. I think some of these "crowds" do have a superiority complex and I can see how it can be frustrating and discouraging for some of the members on these forums.

Legit question: do you get your clients to try to hit certain macronutrients within their dietary parameters?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

You're missing the point here. IIFYM (and yes, AKA "flexible dieting") pretty much reduces what we know about successful weight loss and muscle maintenance and gain into the most basic elements possible. Someone can choose to track more than their macros and many do because we know that vitamins, minerals and fiber matter. The point though is to try to make a very complex problem reducible to as few elements as possible. That we all have slightly different approaches is no surprise. Nutrition is a very complex issue. If you try to say that things like macros don't matter though you're missing some very key elements.
  • liftingheavy1
    Options

I think you would like this video FitnessBeverl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMS7KRe-InI
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    LOL at the people calling IIFYM a fad. Because the basic principles of caloric deficits and proper nutrition via macronutrients is totally a fad. Totally. Also, everyone who espouses IIFYM only eats junk food all the time. Just shoveling those Big Macs down their greasy throats, followed by a cocktail of soda and blended Pop Tarts. Totally logical, guys. Try actually understanding the concept before you call it a fad or a junk food diet.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Ray's Wife: This is your opinion, and I;d love to know why you think that.

same, did this ever get explained?
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Not this AGAIN!!!! :D
  • liftingheavy1
    Options
    LOL at the people calling IIFYM a fad. Because the basic principles of caloric deficits and proper nutrition via macronutrients is totally a fad. Totally. Also, everyone who espouses IIFYM only eats junk food all the time. Just shoveling those Big Macs down their greasy throats, followed by a cocktail of soda and blended Pop Tarts. Totally logical, guys. Try actually understanding the concept before you call it a fad or a junk food diet.

it is a fad you don't see it that popular except amongst a group of people like Atkins diet which was pretty popular for a while
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

it is a fad you don't see it that popular except amongst a group of people like Atkins diet which was pretty popular for a while

But clean eating is not a fad? I can't imagine a more complex, difficult to follow, and expensive way of eating.
  • liftingheavy1
    Options

But clean eating is not a fad? I can't imagine a more complex, difficult to follow, and expensive way of eating.

yeah it has been around since the begging of time the food you advocate has been around not that long pop tarts came out in 1985
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    because it's not fun