Who says plus size girls don't have curves?

Options

Replies

• JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Is the term "curvy" the first adjective a woman uses to describer herself who is at her goal weight?

Or is it more likely to be used by someone nowhere near her goal?

The popular meaning of a word is ascertained by who is using it and in what context and how often.

When it gets used over and over again in an incorrect way then it will mean the new usage.

Like when people talk about their throughput on their data connection they use the word "bandwidth" which has absolutely ****-all to do with speed but defines the literal width of the frequency bands the signals travel on.

So everyone talks about "bandwidth" as "speed" and pretty soon everyone just uses it as "speed" because its the popular meaning.

Now go back and read that first sentence again...

I think both can use it. If you have an hourglass at 250 and an hourglass at 150...aren't you still considered curvy? I'm an hourglass at 288 and I'll be an hourglass at 250. I've always been an hourglass. Can I not say that I'm curvy until I get to my goal of 180?

I disagree with the bolded part. I would be happy to be curvy in the best way I can be at goal weight. My husband always tells me how when I lose weight my curves start coming out more and he can see more of my hourglass shape ( to him). Even my boobs look better to him as I lose weight because they stand out more. Maybe that is why I associate the two?
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    i always thought the opposite- plus size girls DO have all the curves. I've been wrong this whole time lol.

I would rather have the curves of my thin sisters and cousins than the curves I have being this heavy, honestly. Fat curves are not that great because I just do not do well when I am fat or gaining weight physically or emotionally. I do so much better thinner.
  • tlath70
    tlath70 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    http://www.hanneblank.com/blog/2011/06/23/real-women/

Real women do not have curves. Real women do not look like just one thing.

Real women have curves, and not. They are tall, and not. They are brown-skinned, and olive-skinned, and not. They have small breasts, and big ones, and no breasts whatsoever.

Real women start their lives as baby girls. And as baby boys. And as babies of indeterminate biological sex whose bodies terrify their doctors and families into making all kinds of very sudden decisions.

Real women have big hands and small hands and long elegant fingers and short stubby fingers and manicures and broken nails with dirt under them.

Real women have armpit hair and leg hair and pubic hair and facial hair and chest hair and sexy moustaches and full, luxuriant beards. Real women have none of these things, spontaneously or as the result of intentional change. Real women are bald as eggs, by chance and by choice and by chemo. Real women have hair so long they can sit on it. Real women wear wigs and weaves and extensions and kufi and do-rags and hairnets and hijab and headscarves and hats and yarmulkes and textured rubber swim caps with the plastic flowers on the sides.

Real women wear high heels and skirts. Or not.

Real women are feminine and smell good and they are masculine and smell good and they are androgynous and smell good, except when they don’t smell so good, but that can be changed if desired because real women change stuff when they want to.

Real women have ovaries. Unless they don’t, and sometimes they don’t because they were born that way and sometimes they don’t because they had to have their ovaries removed. Real women have uteruses, unless they don’t, see above. Real women have vaginas and clitorises and XX sex chromosomes and high estrogen levels, they ovulate and menstruate and can get pregnant and have babies. Except sometimes not, for a rather spectacular array of reasons both spontaneous and induced.

Real women are fat. And thin. And both, and neither, and otherwise. Doesn’t make them any less real.

There is a phrase I wish I could engrave upon the hearts of every single person, everywhere in the world, and it is this sentence which comes from the genius lips of the grand and eloquent Mr. Glenn Marla:

There is no wrong way to have a body.

I’m going to say it again because it’s important: There is no wrong way to have a body.

And if your moral compass points in any way, shape, or form to equality, you need to get this through your thick skull and stop with the “real women are like such-and-so” crap.

You are not the authority on what “real” human beings are, and who qualifies as “real” and on what basis. All human beings are real.

Yes, I know you’re tired of feeling disenfranchised. It is a tiresome and loathsome thing to be and to feel. But the tit-for-tat disenfranchisement of others is not going to solve that problem. Solidarity has to start somewhere and it might as well be with you and me.

THIS!^^^ Very eloquently and passionately spoken. We all came to MFP for encouragement on our journey...not for judgment.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    5'11...somewhere in the 185 range.

Measurements approx 42, 32.5, 42

5c64ab01-eeba-4a8d-9741-6170aff73719_zpsbf399904.jpg

WoW! I need to grow a few more inches! I did not look like that at 185lbs. Hell, who am I kidding? I don't look close to that at 163lbs.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    People tell me this all the time, totally disagree. I mean yes some may but I don't think I do. This is me at 253 now I am 10 pounds lighter at 243.

28tw66w.png
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hey Marylin Monroe was a large size 16 (US 14) and her curves were awesome!

Marilyn Monroe was a current us size 6. She's not heavy at all. A touch soft, but absolutely nowhere near a 16.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    who says that? O.o ofcourse almost any size girls can have sexy curves.
  • Christina8585
    Christina8585 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    288 isn't a typo. ^_^ I started at 315. I'm 5'11.

A friend of a friend made a snide comment because a guy in a bar called me curvy and this nasty girl said, "Curvy is just a word that fat girls use to make themselves feel better." O_O BUt it's not just at the bar. I see it everywhere on the internet. People who say plus size models aren't curvy and they shouldn't use it. I've read threads from people who say that they are sick of people who are overweight saying they are curvy. Even if they have a natural hourglass shape while being overweight, they say they aren't curvy because they are overweight. So I wanted to create a thread for all the curvy plus size women out there who love their bodies!

As far as I'm concerned you can be curvy as a plus size girl or a skinny mini. Today I saw a girl who basically looked like a complete skeleton. No shape whatsoever. But I've seen other women her exact size with va va voom. It's all in the hips. I have a love hate with mine. Mine are latin for sure, so basically I'll have curves no matter what, minus my ever shrinking boobs. Gah!
    But I gladly trade boobs for a better waistline.
    It's all in the body shape not the size.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    It takes a person of character to know when to say something and when to keep their mouth shut. When did it become okay for people to say something rude and slough it off as "we'll that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it." If you don't agree, do everyone a favor and move on.

Love all the curves in this thread!
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I am just now dropping into the "overweight" category for BMI.. my curves are getting more defined but I was definately curvy back when I started this as well.

There are "overweight" women who do not look curvy, and there are "normal weight" women who have no curves.. its to do with genes and muscles.. some women have it naturally, others have to build the muscles in the right places.. either way curvy or not most women are beautyfull when they project confidence, no matter the shape or size :flowerforyou:
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    288 isn't a typo. ^_^ I started at 315. I'm 5'11.

A friend of a friend made a snide comment because a guy in a bar called me curvy and this nasty girl said, "Curvy is just a word that fat girls use to make themselves feel better." O_O BUt it's not just at the bar. I see it everywhere on the internet. People who say plus size models aren't curvy and they shouldn't use it. I've read threads from people who say that they are sick of people who are overweight saying they are curvy. Even if they have a natural hourglass shape while being overweight, they say they aren't curvy because they are overweight. So I wanted to create a thread for all the curvy plus size women out there who love their bodies!

You look SMOKIN', girl!!! I'm 5'11'' and 280 (we're twins!!! I started at 318!!!), and don't look nearly that hawt yet!!! Way to go!!!!
  • ngoziyvette
    ngoziyvette Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can be plus-sized and curvy and you can be underweight and curvy.

The problem is when "curvy" becomes a euphamism for "overweight." They're two separate things.

I agree! A lot of people use curvy to mean plus sized but they aren't synonymous. I know people who are big and curvy and I know people who are thin and curvy. You can be curvy at any size. Weight has nothing to do with curviness.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I am still very overweight, but have always been curvy regardless, it is just getting a bit more pronounced as I shed the lbs :)

20130222_125838_zpsa08199cd.jpg
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Me at 185!

IMAG0044.jpg
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll ever be "curvy"...the only thing curvy on me right now is my belly! LOL! Hopefully with some more fat loss and weights I can be a little curvy. We'll see.

OP, you look great in that suit! And I live in Pittsburgh too! :drinker:
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    "What makes a woman a woman is between two things: her legs."
    -Selma Hayak, Dogma

Although I disagree. Because transsexuals can have surgeries to have the right exterior parts, but they never have the hip sway we women have. Curvy or not.

why do you hate transsexuals?

O_o? What makes a woman is her HIPS is my point here. Not curves, not the plumbing, but the fact that wehave PELVIC BONES that men do not have. It's called anatomy. :noway:
  • jamieschraeder
    jamieschraeder Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Y'all look beautiful :glasses:

I wish I had curves like that!!! At 5'5 and 198 I still can't seem to find my waist in pics. Keep up the good work!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look really good. Do you work out a lot? I am pretty much the exact same size as you. I have lost quite a bit of weight in the past 4 months. I am not near as shapely as you though. You seem to be a very thin 288 lbs. I feel so much better emotionally already and I can actually move again. I am wearing a body media fit every day and trying to get in my steps and calorie count so I can eat a little more and still lose weight, but actually have energy. Keep going! It is good to read a little about you.

a thin 288! I love you! ^_^ I imagine I'll hit Jessica Rabbit status at 250.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    "What makes a woman a woman is between two things: her legs."
    -Selma Hayak, Dogma

Although I disagree. Because transsexuals can have surgeries to have the right exterior parts, but they never have the hip sway we women have. Curvy or not.

why do you hate transsexuals?

O_o? What makes a woman is her HIPS is my point here. Not curves, not the plumbing, but the fact that wehave PELVIC BONES that men do not have. It's called anatomy. :noway:
    Not all women have wide hips and men do have pelvic bones.
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You can be plus-sized and curvy and you can be underweight and curvy.

The problem is when "curvy" becomes a euphamism for "overweight." They're two separate things.

I agree! A lot of people use curvy to mean plus sized but they aren't synonymous. I know people who are big and curvy and I know people who are thin and curvy. You can be curvy at any size. Weight has nothing to do with curviness.

Yea. I hate it when "plus-sized" people call themselves "curvy" when they're not. I mean it's such a "problem." I mean...who do they think they are? :sick: