GUYS: HOW MUCH WOUND U SPEND ON A RING

Replies

• beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Im not bothered as long as its pretty :)
  • Salekdarling
    Salekdarling Posts: 19 Member
    My husband and I decided on a ring that $500.00. It's a princess cut and sits up high so it looks bigger than a .25 carat. Plus, our wedding bands were bought on etsy for $80.00, and they look awesome. :) No need to go into debt for a ring.
  • Absolutely NOTHING ever again. After 34 years of marriage, being married at me 18 and her 17, if anything were to ever happen to her.......................... I sure as hell would never do that again.

are you saying you wouldn't marry again after your wife, or that you regret having married her in the first place? not sure where this was coming from or going?
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    We were struggling grad students when we got engaged back in 1979. My husband bought me a solitaire "1/2 caret" cubic zirconia ring set in a simple 10 carat gold setting. It was around $70 at the time. While in a jewelry store recently, the clerk asked me if I would like it cleaned. I said sure. As he handed it back to me, he said, "That sure is a beautiful diamond."
    Without looking at it through a jeweler's loupe, no one can tell the difference.
    34 years later, though we could now afford a real diamond, I wouldn't trade my cubic zirconia for all the money in the world.
    My best advice is to be practical. If you can't afford a diamond, get something else. But never, ever stretch yourself thin financially over a ring. The real treasure is your love, which I hope will continue to increase in value through the years.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,894 Member
    One will never get what they paid for a ring (with maybe an exception of an auction or selling to a collector), so why not just buy a style ring you want and get a diamond of your choice put in? My wife and I did that and a ring that would have sold for $3500 on the market or store, actually only cost less than half of that. Same look, same carat for gold and stone.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    My boyfriend mentioned saving for a ring since he just started a great new job. We talked about it and neither of us really know an appropriate amount to spend on a ring. I have heard something about 3 months salary, but that seems...a little crazy to me. How much would you spend on a ring? Any women who are buying engagement rings are welcome to respond too. No judging here.

FACT: It is not about making sure to spend a certain amount of money to meet some artificial standard, you buy what you feel you can afford and you and he like. Saving ahead is a heck of a lot smarter than financing. You have a smart guy there.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    I'd rather skip the engagement ring, and just get a pretty wedding band.

Most girls won't agree with me, but I never liked engagement rings, feels like being "bought". How about I marry you because I wanna spend the rest of my life with you, and not because you bought me fancy jewelry... not impressed by material things.
  • Maybe I should change my id to "ElCheapo". Thirty-six years ago I spent $250 for a 1/3 carat diamond engagement ring and matching simple wedding band. Had I spent significantly more than that (Probably transtlates to abou $1000) my wife probably would have killed me. After thirty-five years of marriage she does not wear the rings. They are too small and she isn't about to leave them in a jewelry store to be resized. But we still love each other. What you pay for a ring does not matter if it truly symbolizes your life-long commitment to each other.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    ...remember ladies, you're going to give the ring back later when it's over, right? So, it shouldn't really matter to you at all.

inorite. you should totally quote that thread here. so we can see who the hipocrites are.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member

Most girls won't agree with me, but I never liked engagement rings, feels like being "bought". How about I marry you because I wanna spend the rest of my life with you, and not because you bought me fancy jewelry... not impressed by material things.
    Oh, I'm probably in minority here too. I asked him to marry me and there was no askings of hands in marriage but simply a "We are engaged now".
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Well in New York City, the man is required to spend about 3 Years salary as a minimum. 3 Months salary on a designer bag gets you the first date in this crack town.

Oh come on. We're not that bad. I'd let the bag slide to at least Date 3:wink:
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    I paid $11k for my ex-wifes (which at the time was 2 WEEKS salary now its more like 2 months). Obviously it was a mistake on my part but I am no Mario Williams. I paid straight cash HOMEY so thay part I didnt have to endure years later. I would pick out something nice and affordable. Its the commitment not the ring that matters!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    My current profile pic is the ring we just purchased for me for our 25th anniversary in June. It's not fancy but it's something different and it's ME. I think that's more important than how much it cost (which was only about one month's salary). It's my fourth ring over the 29 years we've been together, each a little nicer than the one before, although this time I wanted just the band, no solitaire. There's no rule that you have to wear the ring you get before you get married for the rest of your life.
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    We got three ring set, it was a total of 940 when we got married, we are going to get remarried one day and he wants a spend a little more money on the rings but I'm not going to let him go overboard.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Three months salary IS the general rule. That's why you save for a ring. This also provides the prospective groom to really think about his decision and the selection.

Yeah, "general rule" from those who want you to spend your hard earned money - in today's economy, spending three months of salary on a ring is absolutely crazy.

I absolutely agree, it is crazy.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member

<---- I agree with you completely. :)
  • MackLuster77
    MackLuster77 Posts: 24 Member
    I'm always amazed how people are so duped by DeBeers. They hold diamonds in their reserve to keep the price artificially inflated. Diamonds have a pretty low intrinsic value, and are best used as cutting tools. The engagement ring was invented in the thirties.

The "industry" recommends three months salary? Only because dodoheads would balk at 4 months.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member

Oh, I'm probably in minority here too. I asked him to marry me and there was no askings of hands in marriage but simply a "We are engaged now".

I would probably also rather elope too (something whimsical, special and romantic, not a trashy las vegas chapel lol). I'm a romantic gal, not a material one, nor a traditional woman either.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    ...remember ladies, you're going to give the ring back later when it's over, right? So, it shouldn't really matter to you at all.

Wth.

Who said that?its a gift and I'm keeping it.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    my wife decided to use the money for other things so she decided on matching bands. That was 46 years ago and she still is the smarter of the two of us. :flowerforyou: