You guys really like to over complicate things.

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I knew this would be a hot topic, but didn't think it would get this heated in here. Anyway I just came back and read all the pages, seems like the majority are agreeing with me, and the ones who don't agree with my post, seem to be quoting my age instead of trying to prove me wrong.

Wrong. The ones that don't agree with you take issue with the fact that you seem to have everything all figured out in a neat little package....a neat little package that you and some others seem to fit, but what of the rest of us?

If you were a little longer in the tooth, you would know how wrong you are and be grateful for the good health you enjoy that allows you simple addition and subtraction to get you to your weight loss goals.

Again, this thread has nothing to do with age. If you find your maintenance and then lower your calories, you WILL lose weight. You keep saying I'm wrong, but don't prove me wrong. I don't get it lol.

Because it's a long story and I've got better things to do with my time :huh: Eventually you will understand...or not...doesn't matter to me.

Edited.

yeah-ok.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    The only thing I see in this thread is saying that OP is young so he doesn't know anything. I haven't seen anyone prove that he is wrong in any way, in fact everyone with success stories in this thread agree with OP.

Exception:
    I have a "success story" and I do not agree with him.

What if I said you don't count. Cause reasons that are totally unrelated to the conversation at hand.
  • cthews
    cthews Posts: 3
    Options
    well said
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    the theme of this thread should read - epic excuses why eating less than TDEE will not work...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Good thread and youre right all these rules turn people from fitness
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    The only thing I see in this thread is saying that OP is young so he doesn't know anything. I haven't seen anyone prove that he is wrong in any way, in fact everyone with success stories in this thread agree with OP.

Exception:

What if I said you don't count. Cause reasons that are totally unrelated to the conversation at hand.

What "reasons" might those be?
    There are several "conversation(s) at hand".
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Ah, the arrogance of youth having all the answers. Like we haven't seen this many times before. Like we weren't in your shoes many years ago when we were the ones with all the answers. And in 30-40 years when you in our shoes and you know you won't have all the answers.

Time is the great equalizer. We've seen this play before.

Don't be hatin, OP is speaking the truth.

While everything is technically correct, there are a lot of nuances missing.

"Just eat under maintenance" would be a whole lot easier if we had a little plug we could attach to the nearest analysis machine and get the correct maintenance calories. A lot of thing affect the human metabolism. Quitting smoking could cause one's metabolism to slow down, as could hormonal imbalances, age, nutrition (or lack) or a myriad of other factors.

And, in reality, if all it took was a bit of education to lose weight, we wouldn't be in such a pickle as a nation. The diet industry wouldn't be a million dollar market. Dr. Oz would still be performing heart surgery. :laugh: There's so much emotion and motivation tied up into what we eat and how much we exercise that it's easy to plug a quick fix and have tons of followers flock to you…

And then to get shamed when you ask a "simple" or even "stupid" question … well, no wonder some people quit before they've begun.

there is a handy dandy machine called a scale that you can weigh yourself on and will give you an output reading of your weight....you then eat at a certain level..if you gain a little reduce...if you maintain for week or two guess what? You have found maintenance...oh, and if you lose that would be your cut level...

I believe this wiz banger of a gizmo runs on batteries too...

then what do I do when I find my maintenance and lower my amount like you say and I still plateau for like 1 month? this has happened to me many times I have gone from 1800 as my maintenance and then lost 5lbs plateaued for another month and lowered to 1500 as it was going on to 1 month and 2 weeks no loss and then lost like 1.5lbs. I don't eat any of my exercise calories back, so what the hell xD

well as you lose weight you need to recalculate your maintenance level once a month or so...If you go from 175 to 170 then your maintenance level is going to be lower, so that would explain the reason for the plateau and then the reset...

Were you logging everything when you were not losing? Were you weighting everything?

I assume that someone on MFP weighs and logs everything...

ha ha yes you assume right, I log everything. Even if I go over my calories and such. True, to it changes for even 5lbs lost for maintenance. I will actually go and recalculate to see if I am like down by even 10 calories to throw me off :) ty
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    TL;DR... heard there were cats on the interwebs. in here? Kittay Kittay Kittayyyyyyyy
  • OMGeeeHorses
    Options
    31525512_9681.jpg

my excuse ;), well starting out it was. Now I kind of give it the finger when it hurts and push on. 12 screws, 1 plate and 1 metal rod :D!! I AM BIONIC LEG!!!!!!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Ah, the arrogance of youth having all the answers. Like we haven't seen this many times before. Like we weren't in your shoes many years ago when we were the ones with all the answers. And in 30-40 years when you in our shoes and you know you won't have all the answers.

Time is the great equalizer. We've seen this play before.

Don't be hatin, OP is speaking the truth.

While everything is technically correct, there are a lot of nuances missing.

"Just eat under maintenance" would be a whole lot easier if we had a little plug we could attach to the nearest analysis machine and get the correct maintenance calories. A lot of thing affect the human metabolism. Quitting smoking could cause one's metabolism to slow down, as could hormonal imbalances, age, nutrition (or lack) or a myriad of other factors.

And, in reality, if all it took was a bit of education to lose weight, we wouldn't be in such a pickle as a nation. The diet industry wouldn't be a million dollar market. Dr. Oz would still be performing heart surgery. :laugh: There's so much emotion and motivation tied up into what we eat and how much we exercise that it's easy to plug a quick fix and have tons of followers flock to you…

And then to get shamed when you ask a "simple" or even "stupid" question … well, no wonder some people quit before they've begun.

there is a handy dandy machine called a scale that you can weigh yourself on and will give you an output reading of your weight....you then eat at a certain level..if you gain a little reduce...if you maintain for week or two guess what? You have found maintenance...oh, and if you lose that would be your cut level...

I believe this wiz banger of a gizmo runs on batteries too...

then what do I do when I find my maintenance and lower my amount like you say and I still plateau for like 1 month? this has happened to me many times I have gone from 1800 as my maintenance and then lost 5lbs plateaued for another month and lowered to 1500 as it was going on to 1 month and 2 weeks no loss and then lost like 1.5lbs. I don't eat any of my exercise calories back, so what the hell xD

well as you lose weight you need to recalculate your maintenance level once a month or so...If you go from 175 to 170 then your maintenance level is going to be lower, so that would explain the reason for the plateau and then the reset...

Were you logging everything when you were not losing? Were you weighting everything?

I assume that someone on MFP weighs and logs everything...

ha ha yes you assume right, I log everything. Even if I go over my calories and such. True, to it changes for even 5lbs lost for maintenance. I will actually go and recalculate to see if I am like down by even 10 calories to throw me off :) ty

no problem, hope it works for you ...

it could be water retention if you are working out a lot ...make sure you drink a lot of water. I had problem about six weeks ago where I was retaining water and was up to 181...drank a ton of water and lost about four pounds in water weight and then I started losing about .5 pd to 1pd per week ..down to 174 as of yesterday...
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    ****, you mean if I eat less and move more I'll lose weight? That can't possibly be right. I need green coffee bean extract up my *kitten* and do a cleanse and buy a gizmo and a gadget and eat nothing but prepackaged "diet" food?
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I think it's time for the people who don't agree with OP to...

STOP.

Just stop..

no, really, stop..

Think about what you're saying? You are not special flowers, you are not different than the rest of us (medical conditions, aside).

If you are not losing weight and you have no medical issues, you are eating too much, people count calories wrong for weeks, months, years, and they become so stubborn its ridiculous.

Remember one thing: When you wake up from this dream and realise you're NOT different than the rest of us, you can move forward and lose fat.

Good day!
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

Exception:

Just wondering what you don't agree with?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Exception:

I could explain them to you, but it's a long story and I have better things to do.

Or, if you prefer, when the reason is unrelated to the actual conversation does it actually matter what the reasons are? OP is wrong because he's 21 and your story doesn't count because reasons. Logic checks out.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Exception:

I could explain them to you, but it's a long story and I have better things to do.

Or, if you prefer, when the reason is unrelated to the actual conversation does it actually matter what the reasons are? OP is wrong because he's 21 and your story doesn't count because reasons. Logic checks out.

Seems legit
  • OMGeeeHorses
    Options
    **post fail**
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Exception:

Cause your old? Long in the teefs? Senior Citizen?

Sorry, that's all I gleaned from your end :drinker:
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    so.much.stooooopid
    in this thread
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Here for the hope of more Cats.

I might as well add in my two cents. I see what OP is saying. I get what he's trying to do. I know it's for the majority and it doesn't apply to everyone but most people. 21 or not,what he says makes sense. It may come across all high and mighty to some people but it didn't to me.

Anyways,where are the cats?????