everyne says " eat more to loose weight " bs ??

Options

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    well after eating more for a few months i can say.....eating more to loose or maintain is bs for me :) doesnt work

You logged 5 times for the entire month of August, and regularly were 500+cals away from your goal. You can't assume it doesn't work when you don't regularly maintain a log of what you're eating.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    well after eating more for a few months i can say.....eating more to loose or maintain is bs for me :) doesnt work

So what is your point?

You don't have much, if any, weight TO lose.

If you want to look better, pick up some heavy weights.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't have the patience to check this as thoroughly as I could, but based on my random sampling, i feel pretty decent about this question.

Other than yesterday, when was the last time you logged over these "few months" in which you "ate more?"
    I'm gonna say June 17th, because that's the only day I found with any food logged (beyond the past few days), going all the way back to April. And the days I found that did have food logged, OP was well below calorie goal - so if the conclusion that it didn't work is based on not logging any food, or coming in way below goal when he did log, I say there's the bs. :tongue:
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat nd exercise the same everyday
  • cvcman
    Options
    I wa told to ignore the exercise cals ....so if I do that I was not below .....
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I wa told to ignore the exercise cals ....so if I do that I was not below .....
    Your daily goal shows as 1810 - yesterday your actual calories eaten was 1492, so yes you were below.

My daily goal is higher than yours, and I come close to it every day, usually within 100 cals above or below. And on days when I have a high cal burn (I don't log my burned calories in my dairy, but I keep note of them - if I log them, it changes my macro goals, also a part of the TDEE method), I make sure I'm not netting below BMR - ever. And the fat has consistently been coming off.

So if you ate only 1492 cals yesterday, with your exercise cals your net was only 900, and I'm guessing your BMR is quite a bit higher than 900. :tongue: If this is a consistent pattern, then you need to re-run your numbers and change your activity level to figure in more cals.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Most tools used incorrectly don't work well for their stated purpose.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    After reading many pages of this, I'm baffled as to what the op's actual point is. He's happy with his weight, but is wondering why MFP says he'll weigh 130 in 5 weeks after completing his log for that day?

If you are happy with your weight, then don't change anything and ignore what the little box says when you complete your diary. Find out what your TDEE is, and eat that, that will maintain the weight you are at now.
  • cvcman
    Options
    but isnt that 1800 counting my workout...maybe im not figuring this correct
  • cvcman
    Options
    I would like to loose some bellyflab...I am happy at 140 and have pleanty of energy...most of the time how ever I do go thru sweet cravings...like a nice pc of cake r a couple cookies but I curb them most of the time..

I do lift but not real heavy stuff....I guess my point was just that people say eat more and you will loose but when I do eat more i seem to gain...I think what I should do is eat whenever im hungry and ust keep working out....:)
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    "Eat more to weigh less" is not bs just because you're horrified that you're retaining 2lbs of water weight after a night of binging and eating crap. It is an idea based on a plan to eat at a deficit, but not as severe of a deficit as a lot of people think they need (trying to lose too fast can be hard to sustain). Often, it's recommended to eat at maintenance for a few weeks or months to kind of "reset" and then start decreasing until you reach an appropriate deficit based on your TDEE. Often people will gain a few pounds when starting, and then they start dropping it again.

If you would like to learn more about the actual program, you can read more about it here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

If you want to throw up your hands and call valid techniques bs in a temper tantrum, please continue.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Educate yourself before you just jump to conclusions.... This is not meaning to EAT as much as you want and you will loose weight LOL

If you were like me netting 800 cals because of the amount of exercise, you will feel like crap.... as she said the point is to creat a smaller deficit and still loose weight...
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    After reading many pages of this, I'm baffled as to what the op's actual point is. He's happy with his weight, but is wondering why MFP says he'll weigh 130 in 5 weeks after completing his log for that day?

Exactly my reaction.

The MFP calculator is just a very straight-forward equation. I haven't looked at the code but it's probably some bog-standard javascript. It does not take into account anything but calorie deficit. The closer you are to your goal weight, the less likely the calculator is going to reflect reality. You could weigh 50 and it would still tell you you're going to weigh 48 in 4 weeks. It's just a feature meant to motivate people after finishing their diary. It has no further meaning or indeed any medical credibility.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    but isnt that 1800 counting my workout...maybe im not figuring this correct

What's the activity level you set on MFP? MFP goes by the method of sedentary activity + exercise calories = what you should eat for the day.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    OP, 7 months later if you haven't worked it out, you are probably doing it wrong.

Make yourself your hobby. Look into Metabolic Adaptation. If you are indeed only eating 1000 per day, your body is desperately trying to keep you alive on that amount of food. SLOWLY increase your weekly calories in increments of 100 until you reach your TDEE and maintain. You are a small size man by the sounds of things but 1000 is ridiculously low.

For your belly... Abs are made in the kitchen. But you may want to cut back on your cardio and get into the gym and pick up heavy things and put them down again.
  • cvcman
    Options
    OP, 7 months later if you haven't worked it out, you are probably doing it wrong.

Make yourself your hobby. Look into Metabolic Adaptation. If you are indeed only eating 1000 per day, your body is desperately trying to keep you alive on that amount of food. SLOWLY increase your weekly calories in increments of 100 until you reach your TDEE and maintain. You are a small size man by the sounds of things but 1000 is ridiculously low.

For your belly... Abs are made in the kitchen. But you may want to cut back on your cardio and get into the gym and pick up heavy things and put them down again.

1000 cals a day ?????where in the world did you get that from ??? look at Aug 10th, 8th avg like 1800 cals a day......dont know weather im a "small size man" but im between 5'8" and 5'9" 5 yrs old and DID weigh about 197 before I started biking/running...im 140 now...so im not a lardo but I would say avg height ???
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ok I flatlined at 140 / 141 which is fine..I workout everyday..mostly cardio, weights fro upper body 3 times a week, Tabata HIT 3 times a week, then either run, bike, cross country ski for an hour every other day...I dont do my diary everyday because I eat the same things week after week...but every time I splurge a little like last night...few slices of pizza and 4 chicken wings and 1 beer...up 2 pounds the next day...
    So IF I eat more to jump start and loose more I feel I will GAIN weight...maybe I shouldnt be doing cardio to loose weight maybe a few days of lower heart rate stuff ????

It's water, not fat. Don't trip!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

1000 cals a day ?????where in the world did you get that from ??? look at Aug 10th, 8th avg like 1800 cals a day......dont know weather im a "small size man" but im between 5'8" and 5'9" 5 yrs old and DID weigh about 197 before I started biking/running...im 140 now...so im not a lardo but I would say avg height ???

You grossed 1800, then exercised over 800 of that off, leaving a net of 1000. Your net should be 1800, which means you should have eaten around 2600 that day.
  • cvcman
    Options
    I am going to try and log in every day for awhile.....starting today...I still have a hard time believing if I eat more I will not start gaining
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It may be time to reset your goals here. go back into the Goals thing here, click on that, and reset it according to your current statistics. It might change the calories and such that you should be eating. It may make it less. then you will find you are not eating on a maintenance level keeping you at the same weight.
  • cvcman
    Options
    so now it says should eat 2200 per day !!!! Does this mean 2200 total or 2200 after deducting exercise ?? This cant be right