everyne says " eat more to loose weight " bs ??

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Simply eating more for a couple of months didn't help me start losing again after I hit the inevitable plateau after about 9 months, but what did work for me was calorie cycling. I am eating the same calories over a weeks time, but I now have 2 very low cal days and 2 fairly high cal days spread thruout the week. Finally starting to lose again. Don't know WHY it worked for me, but am just happy that it did. But I still have 25 lbs to get to a healthy weight again.

And as for the "You will weigh this amount in 5 weeks" message? Yeah, it lies like a dog!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It's not for everyone. you'd think it was from the way it's mantra around here but it's definitely not true for everyone. the real message should be make sure you're not at too huge a deficit because losing weight too fast isn't healthy. but that isn't as appealing as JUST EAT MORE.

the whole your metabolism will slow down thing is hocus. you have to be eating VERY low calories before that is even a little true.

True, not too huge a deficit.

From what though? Some imaginary number plucked from user's choice of settings that are not realistic?

And you might want to do some reading on just how easy it can be to slow your metabolism down, and how long it can stay suppressed even after reaching maintenance and eating more.

Several studies mentioned in this thread in many spots.

There can be other reasons for the effect of course, but it does happen even in controlled lab studies.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It's not for everyone. you'd think it was from the way it's mantra around here but it's definitely not true for everyone. the real message should be make sure you're not at too huge a deficit because losing weight too fast isn't healthy. but that isn't as appealing as JUST EAT MORE.

the whole your metabolism will slow down thing is hocus. you have to be eating VERY low calories before that is even a little true.

From what though? Some imaginary number plucked from user's choice of settings that are not realistic?

And you might want to do some reading on just how easy it can be to slow your metabolism down, and how long it can stay suppressed even after reaching maintenance and eating more.

There can be other reasons for the effect of course, but it does happen even in controlled lab studies.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

I also heard the starvation mode was bs too.....guess its like everything else all mostly opinons
  • Rav3n1022
    Rav3n1022 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You need to change it up! Your body is used to you eating all the same things and doing all the same workouts.... Spice it up a little.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I also heard the starvation mode was bs too.....guess its like everything else all mostly opinons
    "Starvation mode" is used all sorts of ways, and so the term itself has no meaning. Many people act like it starts instantly, which it only would if you use the strictest definition (you don't eat food at all for 3 or more days and literally start starving to death).

However, many people are referring to adaptive thermogenesis (as Bales posted), which has been shown in several studies and scientific articles. It may be worth reading. It can affect your calories, and many people believe refeed periods can be beneficial during a diet. If I were you, I'd read some of the articles that have been posted.
  • cvcman
    Options
    well im eating more and.....my weight is up more than it has been in a year
  • cvcman
    Options
    yup up again today.....so much for eating more to loose,lol
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    just give up then. you are looking at minor weight fluctuations after you've been netting way less than you should be- of course your body is saying "Food!" and changing things around.

It isn't an overnight results plan. If you want overnight results then good luck. You've received a lot of good advice in this thread, if you really want it to work step back and heed some of it.

BTW, it's LOSE weight. not LOOSE. Loose is how your pants fit after you lose weight.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    just give up then. you are looking at minor weight fluctuations after you've been netting way less than you should be- of course your body is saying "Food!" and changing things around.

It isn't an overnight results plan. If you want overnight results then good luck. You've received a lot of good advice in this thread, if you really want it to work step back and heed some of it.

BTW, it's LOSE weight. not LOOSE. Loose is how your pants fit after you lose weight.

So much this. There have been I think several links to why you may initially gain weight when you try to increase calories after undereating. You can read them or you can spin a tale woe is me. At some point you need to start doing the research and believing it or just spend the rest of your life eating low calories a day and never being able to eat more than that (and likely having little energy at some point).
  • cvcman
    Options

• cvcman
    Options

Thx for the spelling lesson...tell my spell check and auto type that
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm up and down all the time. I weigh daily - it's habit. Last weekend I was 400 calories over goal, and down more than a pound the next morning. A little more a couple days later. Today I'm up two pounds, despite being on target the past few days. It's not linear - weight naturally fluctuates up and down by several pounds all the time. As long as the overall trend is the right direction, and my clothes still fit and the tape measure shows progress, it's all good.

Over the past month I've been up and down as much as 5lbs - yet the tape shows that I've lost inches. Don't put too much stock in the scale. Fuel your body for your life and workouts, keep moving, drink water, get good rest, take days off. And be patient. :bigsmile:

THIS! I weigh myself more often than I should, but I have learned to not let the daily fluctuations get me down. I've had a 5 lb swing IN ONE DAY. I know that's not fat gain/loss, it's water. I look in the mirror and use a tape measure to judge my true progress.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When you increase calories (and I know this has been stated more than once in here), you will likely show a gain at first! You cannot say whether or not a new calorie amount is working until you've given it a solid 4-6 weeks to allow the body to adjust to the new intake - especially when you've been eating much lower.

You've gotten so much solid advice and info here, so many people telling you their own experiences and how it works, but you seem to just want to be convinced that it won't work for you, and you ignore all the people telling you it will take some time and patience!

I dunno what else to tell ya.
  • cvcman
    Options
    When you increase calories (and I know this has been stated more than once in here), you will likely show a gain at first! You cannot say whether or not a new calorie amount is working until you've given it a solid 4-6 weeks to allow the body to adjust to the new intake - especially when you've been eating much lower.

You've gotten so much solid advice and info here, so many people telling you their own experiences and how it works, but you seem to just want to be convinced that it won't work for you, and you ignore all the people telling you it will take some time and patience!

I dunno what else to tell ya.

well its not that I dont "want" to believe it when I have tried in the past it just doesnt work for me ! Yes I have seen others post here it does work but....IF you read ALL the posts you will see others too that say it doesnt work....
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

It's been what? About two weeks since you started increasing your calories? I know how frustrating it is to be stuck, especially when you're working so hard, but I think you need to step back and give it some more time to work. Most people recommend 4-6 weeks after you increase your calories before the fluctuations taper off.

Eating less wasn't working for you and yet you tried it for a lot longer than you've tried eating more. Can I suggest that maybe it's time to put the scale away for a few weeks and focus more on goals that aren't just a number on the scale? You are very close to goal weight, which means the fat is going to come off slowly. It doesn't take a lot of water weight to completely mask the fat loss going on in your body right now. You're going to need to focus on the big picture and that's easy to lose when you're weighing every week at this stage.
  • cvcman
    Options

It's been what? About two weeks since you started increasing your calories? I know how frustrating it is to be stuck, especially when you're working so hard, but I think you need to step back and give it some more time to work. Most people recommend 4-6 weeks after you increase your calories before the fluctuations taper off.

Eating less wasn't working for you and yet you tried it for a lot longer than you've tried eating more. Can I suggest that maybe it's time to put the scale away for a few weeks and focus more on goals that aren't just a number on the scale? You are very close to goal weight, which means the fat is going to come off slowly. It doesn't take a lot of water weight to completely mask the fat loss going on in your body right now. You're going to need to focus on the big picture and that's easy to lose when you're weighing every week at this stage.

Yea I hear ya,,,,But....eating LESS and exercise IS what got me down over 50 pounds,,,seemed to have flatlined after that...my goal is to stay at 140...do my daily run or bike,,,and eat what I want to within reason....I dont think eating 2k cals a day is the answer but I do understand I havent given it that long but im seeing a 3 pound gain in 3 weeks
  • cvcman
    Options

Yea I hear ya,,,,But....eating LESS and exercise IS what got me down over 50 pounds,,,seemed to have flatlined after that...my goal is to stay at 140...do my daily run or bike,,,and eat what I want to within reason....I dont think eating 2k cals a day is the answer but I do understand I havent given it that long but im seeing a 3 pound gain in 3 weeks

Also I assumed drinking lots of water would CAUSE gain...but people here say it flushes sodium ??
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Also I assumed drinking lots of water would CAUSE gain...but people here say it flushes sodium ??

Drinking water causes less water retention. I don't know why and it's counter-intuitive, but yes water is good for you.
  • cvcman
    Options

Well ed o cut itof a few hours before bed or I will be up every hour :) over 300 posts so far...man this is a popular one

Drinking water causes less water retention. I don't know why and it's counter-intuitive, but yes water is good for you.
  • cvcman
    Options
    I see today i will be under again....not sire what to fill up on if im under...I know I would like it to be ice cream :).....I now the pretzles at night are probably not good