WLS support and inspirational information

Options

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for October 19, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Use gratitude to get out of discouragement.

Have you ever felt so discouraged you sought comfort in overeating or other compulsive behaviors?

During your discouragement, try summoning up some gratitude. When you are eating compulsively and fearing you will regain your weight, self loathing or other negative emotions will not help. Nurture an attitude of gratitude so that even in hard times, even when you are getting sucked under in a raging swirl of discouragement, you are focusing on the way out.

Action for the day: No matter how you feel today, write down five things for which you are grateful.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at .www.nawls.com
  • Skeezyx58
    Skeezyx58 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you Molly for taking time to post something positive for us daily! You are such a great leader!!! Thank you for keeping me encouraged! I am reading Katie Jay's book, Dying to change. Wow is her life mirrored to my life. Unbelievable! I'll try to add something positive and inspirational also. Thanks Molly!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Welcome Lynette!!! (Skeezyx58)

Post what you would like, comment, vent etc. We are here for you!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for October 21, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Believe you'll get better.

If you make an effort to do something every single day, no matter how awkward you are at the start, you'll get better at it. You have to. You couldn't walk when you first started out so long ago. Now you walk all the time. It's not a big deal.

It takes time and practice to establish new, healthier habits. But, have faith you will get better.

Action for the day: Be conscious today of the new habits you are creating and practice them.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at .www.nawls.com
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for October 23, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Consider your surroundings.

As your WLS lifestyle is not that of a hermit, considering the surroundings in which you live, work, and play.

Do you spend a lot of time in your kitchen at home or near food at work? Are you likely to suggest meeting a friend at a restaurant, rather than for a walk? Food is not evil, but if you love it a little too much, consider the surroundings in which you put yourself. Are you around food more than necessary?

Action for the day: Pay attention to your surroundings today. Do you spend more time near food temptations than is healthy for you?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for October 22, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Stretch.

Are you happy with everything in your life? Is there something you are dissatisfied with, but you haven't done much about it? It's time to stretch. It's time to try a solution to what's bugging you that is outside of your comfort zone.

People tend to want predictable lives--even if their lives are dissatisfying to some degree. Learning new skills, the fear of looking silly, not wanting to take the time, all these things make change hard--but change anyway.

Action for the day: Do something today that is a stretch for you. Something that will move you closer to the satisfaction you are looking for in life.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for October 25, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Let your adult self take charge.

Who are you going to bring with you as you move from holiday event to holiday event in the coming months? Are you going to bring the little child inside who hates being deprived? Or, are you bringing with you the satisfied and goal-oriented adult who will take care of your true needs?

When your inner child is in charge, you are more at risk for making unhealthy choices. The inner child may be rebellious, choosing to eat the things that are "forbidden." Your inner adult is better at delaying gratification and thinking through the consequences of a choice. When you are going into a challenging situation, your adult self will be your best friend. That part of you will say, "no," and will guide you onto an exciting new path of success.

Action for the day: Pay attention to the voices inside your head that help you make choices as you go through your day. Identify your inner child's influence, acknowledge it, and then gently allow your inner adult to have the final say.

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone, I'm checking in for a bit!

I decided to stop tracking my food and exercise and learn to eat from internal cues. So I haven't been around very much. So far it's working pretty well, but keep in mind that I tracked my food for 2.5 years and my exercise for 1.5 years.

The nice thing about tracking is that you can always start it back up again. So, if my weight starts to go up, I will do so. But right now it's actually going down!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hey, everyone, I'm checking in for a bit!

I decided to stop tracking my food and exercise and learn to eat from internal cues. So I haven't been around very much. So far it's working pretty well, but keep in mind that I tracked my food for 2.5 years and my exercise for 1.5 years.

The nice thing about tracking is that you can always start it back up again. So, if my weight starts to go up, I will do so. But right now it's actually going down!

Hello!

I think this is good idea. I know one's who do this and if they gain weight they go right back to tracking until the get gained weight off. Usuallly 5 pounds is limit and then they go back to tracking. Keep up the good work!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for November 1, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Eat at least three meals a day.

It's surprising how many weight loss surgery patients skip meals, thinking they are doing themselves a favor. But, skipping meals can actually lead to weight gain. (Did you know sumo wrestlers are told to skip breakfast to help them gain weight?)

Skipping a meal can also lead to excessive hunger and poor food choices later on, which leads to overeating.

Action for the day: Eat three meals today, and have a protein-based snack if you are going to go more than five hours without food.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at www.nawls.com.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for November 2, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Think the bite through.

If you are a WLS patient who wants to avoid unhealthy snacking, change your focus and think the snack through. Before you take that first unhealthy bite, think about how it will create guilt and anxiety—how it will cause you to lose some of the self respect you've gained since having WLS. Consider how it will feel to lose your newfound freedom, your ability to move, the pleasure of having enough energy to be productive.

It's hard sometimes to make yourself think about the consequences of your actions, but if you are going to have long-term success you might want to start thinking the bite through.

Action for the day: Today, if you find yourself reaching for an unhealthy bite, think it through. What will be the short- and long-term consequences?
    ***********************************************************************************************************************************************Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for November 3, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Rejoice.

Have you taken the time to stop and think about how amazing weight loss surgery is? While most people would prefer to get healthy without having to go through surgery, at least there is a tool available that can bring great opportunity.

Take a moment to rejoice. Weight loss surgery is a gift, imperfect though it can be at times. And you can use WLS as a tool to help fulfill your dreams.

Action for the day: Spend a quiet minute in reflection today. Rejoice that you have a tool to help you, and think about where you would be now without it. Are you using this gift to its full potential?

*************************************************************************************************************************************
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Well, my "no tracking" experiment is over. I saw 120 on my scale today!

Here's an interesting article about obesity and self-esteem:

http://www.obesityaction.org/magazine/ywm21/selfesteemandobesity.php
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Wow Mac! I did not realize you were down to 120! That is awesome!! Well by all means, track away....:-) Thanks for article! I will print out next week when I am back at work.

I lost 1 pound today. I am tired of yo-yoing now. This is the 1st month I actually gained a pound. I want to consistly lose 2 pounds a week and I know I can do this at my size. I really want to do more to reach my goals. I just have to get into the correct mind set.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for November 5, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Have some absolutes.

The trouble with having an overeating problem is you can't swear off food completely. You have to eat. In addition, you are around all kinds of food all the time. It's hard to resist. While there are plenty of gray areas when it comes to the WLS lifestyle, you can have some absolutes.

To give yourself some freedom over uncertainty, consider selecting a few foods or behaviors to which you will apply absolute rules. Be absolute about not eating refined sweets and carbohydrates, for example. Or, never drink soda. Or, walk every day.

Action for the day: Pick one thing you can be absolute about that will benefit your health. Write a contract with yourself (and be sure to sign it) stating what you will always (or never) do in support of your WLS goals.

*************** WHAT ARE YOUR ABSOLUTES? Please share. *****************

Mines is I absolutely do intentional exercise a minimum of 5 days a week and 45 min to 60 minutes per day.

Please share yours with me. I need some more absolutes I know and I am just interested in knowing what is one or some of your absolutes since you had your surgery.

I am working on making fried foods an absolute NO-NO also.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    I never drink soda. I gave it up pre-op and now I find it nasty so it's easy not to drink it. But also I know if I start to drink a little here and there, I will get used to the taste again and then I'll be drinking it all the time.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    At this moment I can write my one absolute is to not drink soda again, diet or regular. Though I haven't drank regular soda in years. I stopped drinking diet before my surgery and have only had it twice since. The first time was a sip of my niece's diet coke which tastes fabulous but I only had the one sip. The second time was at a restaurant I ordered a diet pepsi, it was disgusting and I didn't drink it.
  • ginastnly
    Options
    I actually have two absolutes, one is no soda at all and the other is no fried foods. I actually have not missed the soda at all which is surprising since I was a diet coke junkie. The fried food is a bit harder because my favorite was my moms fried chicken. I did take a bite once because I couldn't resist. Well it did not go over so well with my body and was sick for an hour afterward. Though this cured me of par-taking in FRIED food, the temptation is always there because of all the fried food I loved and ate pre WLS.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for November 6, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Attend to your spirit.

Your heart and soul need nurturing. Many people who have WLS are wounded souls. In fact, the same is probably true of the general population. Treating yourself kindly, listening to yourself, feeding your soul with love—these things are vital to how you will define yourself following WLS.

Take a gentle approach with yourself as you make time for attending to your spirit.

Action for the day: Spend some time today being nurturing and loving toward yourself. Sometimes self nurturing takes a lot of practice. So, practice.

• PuppyBandit
    Options
    Absolutely no soda's. It's been over a month since I had one and I still want a Dr. Pepper badly, but am not having one. Diet V8 Splash and Water are my new beverages of choice :happy:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Absolutely no soda's. It's been over a month since I had one and I still want a Dr. Pepper badly, but am not having one. Diet V8 Splash and Water are my new beverages of choice :happy:

One of these days I am going to try the V8 Splash. I keep hearing about them.
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Okay my absolutes are to not eat cokies or cake or chips everyday... I'll have them only twice a week, I hardly ever drink
    pop so that will be one... But I will take my vitamins daily and work out ad least 4 times a week and I will add in a challenge twice a month for example spinning class (I hate spinning though)