• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    sorry I had a TL; DR moment and just commented on the OP

HA! :laugh:
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Steve is directly contradicting specific medical advice given to a poster by her physician.

Surely this has to be against the rules of MFP, right?
    As long as he agrees with the OP, he's good to go. :wink:
    Nope.
    Just clarifying -- that wasn't a dig at you. Just the way things tend to go around here sometimes. :smile:
    And mine wasn't a dig at you, either, for sure! Just didn't want to be dragged down with Steve's sinking ship. I'm totally digging your (dare I say it) wit and common sense. Great, now look what you made me do. I just complimented you. I'm going to be kicked off MFP now for sure! :laugh:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Steve is directly contradicting specific medical advice given to a poster by her physician.

Nope.
    Just clarifying -- that wasn't a dig at you. Just the way things tend to go around here sometimes. :smile:
    And mine wasn't a dig at you, either, for sure! Just didn't want to be dragged down with Steve's sinking ship. I'm totally digging your (dare I say it) wit and common sense. Great, now look what you made me do. I just complimented you. I'm going to be kicked off MFP now for sure! :laugh:

I would think that would fall under promoting unhealthy practices but that's just me.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are we still talking about hypoglycaemia?

We were just about to vote Steve off the island.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Nope.
    You might be. I've been told I'm meen and rood.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    No problem. I'll summarize for you: there's been some failure to agree on various topics.

Huh. I think I just defined the internet.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    No problem. I'll summarize for you: there's been some failure to agree on various topics.

Huh. I think I just defined the internet.

:laugh:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

steve... you are the first person voted off this thread. please come up and bring your torch with you.

survivor-torch.gif
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I understand what "Fit Mom" is trying to say; most people who are overweight or obese are that way because of their own poor choices. I know that's true of myself, and just about every overweight person I know. However, I also know a couple of people who cannot lose much weight for medical reasons. Fit Mom saying "what's your excuse?" is not taking this into consideration, because for some people, there ARE legitimate reasons why they are unable to lose weight or get toned. Also, people are supposed to have SOME fat. Are we supposed to be as big as we are? No - humankind has become increasingly sedentary while adopting a worse diet. That's not good, but to say that anyone who doesn't look like Fit Mom is ugly, unnatural, unappealing, etc., is just wrong.

Another thing to take into consideration is that many of us who are on this site - and at least as many who are not - got big over several years and many meals. When my coworkers met me, I weighed 175, which is "obese" for my height. Before I met my coworkers, I weighed 208 pounds. They could have looked at me and said, "this chick doesn't take care of herself" - and they would have been WRONG because I had changed my lifestyle and had already lost 33 pounds. I was making an effort to take care of myself. Even after a person stops "making excuses", it still takes time to find a routine that works...and THEN, after that, even if I lost two pounds a week, it would take me close to a year before I reached a healthy weight.

Finally, even if I weighed what she weighs, I wouldn't look like that. I am literally "big boned"; I have wide shoulders, a large rib cage, and wide hips. My mom and I are both 5'2" and if I weighed what she weighs (about 110), you'd see my ribs and people would think I'm anorexic. There are many factors that go into "being thin", "being thin and toned", and "being thin, toned, and shaped like a model". Frankly, I think the woman is stuck up. I get what she's saying, but asking to be treated politely and not shamed about something that's very, very hard to change is really not asking that much. She should have kept it to herself, but since she didn't, I think Facebook should have stayed out of it. There are plenty of hate groups and loads of people who use Facebook to harrass other people; if Fit Mom was just posting this opinion on her wall to her friends, this is honestly the least of Facebook's issues.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    What's with all the people commenting on OP???

Don't they realize we've moved on to a debate about the application and misapplication of Guyton/Guyton & Hall?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What's with all the people commenting on OP???

Don't they realize we've moved on to a debate about the application and misapplication of Guyton/Guyton & Hall?

how dare they try to derail the derailed thread!!!!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

steve... you are the first person voted off this thread. please come up and bring your torch with you.

survivor-torch.gif

LOL!

And that from someone called "Brainy Burro!"

Not quite sure what a person's username or handle has to do with this subject? Anyways, back to my own little corner with the popcorn. Surprised this hasn't been locked yet, but maybe we'll get lucky and see it roll to a part 2. It's much more amusing than work, I'll say that much
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

survivor-torch.gif

LOL!

And that from someone called "Brainy Burro!"

Not quite sure what a person's username or handle has to do with this subject? Anyways, back to my own little corner with the popcorn. Surprised this hasn't been locked yet, but maybe we'll get lucky and see it roll to a part 2. It's much more amusing than work, I'll say that much
    Actually, the user name is pretty much perfect for the post he made.

But I wouldn't expect Steve to get it.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I missed this post yesterday.... I also can't believe it's held my attention all day! Derailed subject and all.:tongue:
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hey Folks,

I am locking this derailed topic before it rolls. Please always keep in mind when viewing forum content that posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting
    Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.