HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    For the person who asked for stats.

Here are mine, 3 weeks into SL

Squat: 130
    DL: 135
    OHP: 50
    Bench Press: 50
    Rows: 80
  • ashleywingo7
    ashleywingo7 Posts: 18 Member
    You ladies look amazing!
    I haven't looked through all of the threads so I'm not sure if this has been asked/answered but I tend to gain muscle very easily, would I be more likely to actually bulk up or does the amount of weight used matter more than how easily you can build muscle? I don't want to get too bulky but I would love to see similar results to all of you.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    You ladies look amazing!
    I haven't looked through all of the threads so I'm not sure if this has been asked/answered but I tend to gain muscle very easily, would I be more likely to actually bulk up or does the amount of weight used matter more than how easily you can build muscle? I don't want to get too bulky but I would love to see similar results to all of you.

If you eat at a devastate you will be fine.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    booyah--you are amazing! I want to be like you when I grow up!

Hey guys--been pretty shy about progress photos but here they are. You will note that in the interim, I actually did learn how to flex. :)
    2dlrs77.jpg
    25jl55x.jpg

I only weigh about 3-4 pounds less in the second set of pics than the first. This was after six months--two of which were circuit training, and four of which were Stronglifts.

I'm at:
    deadlift:140
    squats: 115
    bench: 65
    OHP: 55
    Rows: 75

No full pullups yet, but I've been working on negatives. I'm excited to keep progressing and my favorite part of all of this is how much stronger I am!

And a fun Halloween pic to show mah bulk.
    t66wph.jpg

You look awesome!!

I also love how happy you look in BOTH pictures. Says loads about your confidence, regardless of how your body looks. I envy that. :flowerforyou:
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Bumping to read later soak in the inspiration. I'm starting NROL4W stage 3 this eve.
  • abbylbrown23
    abbylbrown23 Posts: 344 Member
    I just want to say all you ladies look awesome and beautiful. I started using the weight machines at the gym and was wondering if that is a good place to start for lifting? I will be the first to admit I am clueless when it comes to weight lifting.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Can't get enough of this thread...so many girl crushes!! LOL...Seriously, I'm newer to lifting, but you're ALL such huge inspirations and just so lovely!!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Can't get enough of this thread...so many girl crushes!! LOL...Seriously, I'm newer to lifting, but you're ALL such huge inspirations and just so lovely!!

same great motivation though :D
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member

same great motivation though :D

What they said.. First time ever maybe that it occurs to me, that the number on the scale alone, wont give me the body I want. Bit slow obviously. But I am getting there. Thankyou All :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    You ladies look amazing!

You most likely aren't gaining muscle easily. You're either retaining water in your muscles (glycogen), which makes them puffy after working them, or you're reducing body fat %, which highlights muscle definition (a.k.a, "looks like lots of muscles," not actually bulky).

Unless you have a hormonal issue (specifically testosterone) and are eating at an insane surplus, you are not going to bulk up from lifting weights. Genetics can play a role, and you'll see certain stubborn women swear up and down that they instantly look "huge" after lifting weights, but it is almost always the two issues I mentioned earlier. It is very, very difficult for a woman to gain a sizable (noticeable) quantity of muscle in a year... let alone the few months some people only put in.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    I just want to say all you ladies look awesome and beautiful. I started using the weight machines at the gym and was wondering if that is a good place to start for lifting? I will be the first to admit I am clueless when it comes to weight lifting.

It's definitely a decent start, but if you want to achieve results similar to the ones in this thread, you'll need to head over the free weight area.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a good starting place (there's also a group for women here on MFP for it) and I've heard that New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW) is a great book to get you started.

You can also check out a group called Eat, Train, Progress on MFP that has a ton of useful information.
  • abbylbrown23
    abbylbrown23 Posts: 344 Member

It's definitely a decent start, but if you want to achieve results similar to the ones in this thread, you'll need to head over the free weight area.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a good starting place (there's also a group for women here on MFP for it) and I've heard that New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW) is a great book to get you started.

You can also check out a group called Eat, Train, Progress on MFP that has a ton of useful information.

Thanks I appreciate it. I will check all of those out!
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    I heard this thread was getting back on track?

Dis is me, at the end of May, before lifting.

1lvLFMU.jpg

Dis is me, sometime in June, after about a month of lifting (included cause back shots!)

UnCKyuk.jpg?1

7urYFzA.jpg?1

And this is me now, Today, in November. (Taking pictures of my backside is hard, okay?)

OeNc87X.jpg?1
    eg3lv64.jpg?1
    yVbjk1H.jpg?1

Get it, Girl!! :drinker:
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Bump!
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    :drinker:

Heck yeah! I'm in.
  • Kaplat
    Kaplat Posts: 138 Member
    Bump
  • shell6469
    shell6469 Posts: 54 Member
    Inspiring.... Thank you all...
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    You ladies look amazing!

If you eat at a devastate you will be fine.

I love this thread in any case but this brilliant example of autocorrect has just made it!!!
  • femmecyclist
    femmecyclist Posts: 27 Member
    You ladies look so fabulous!! Terrific, all of you - inspiring.
  • CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    OP, thanks for starting this thread. Everyone has done an amazing job. I'm 4 weeks into SL. Hopefully some day I too will have comparison pics to post
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!