I feel sorry for the new year resolutioners..

Options

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Really? Wow! How on earth did we all get thrown into that same box, OP?
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Why wait till Jan 2014?

Only you can make that change in your life and most implement these resolutions to better themselves; only YOU can make that change, no one else.

Mistakes are a way of reassuring yourself that you're human and should make your ability capacity increase from 100%-500% because you may have to work that extra harder (but at least you did right)?

My philosophy. Create the self awareness and hard work manifests results.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Some people like to think that they're better than other people. It helps them get out of bed in the morning. I say we let them have it, OP.

Ironic post, considering your username.

Irony/Ironic has to be the most misused word in the English language

evidence here suggests that "loose" is in the running.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here seem to be expecting them all to fail! Surely you should cut out your judgmental horrible personalities and support anyone who joins here, anyone who succeeds or fails. When they came here their ambition was to succeed afterall!

While I am sire that you think that your 9 posts here qualifies you to take the moral high ground, some of us actually dedicate dozens of hours per week helping people around here.

So unless you're willing to educate yourself and share that knowledge with others on a regular basis, you've no room to judge others.

In reading her posts, it's quite likely this is at least her 10th account, so maybe she's been here for a really long time, just keeps waiting for Mondays, 1sts of the month, and Jan 1sts to come around. At which time she creates a whole new account. My mind is boggled!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Some people like to think that they're better than other people. It helps them get out of bed in the morning. I say we let them have it, OP.

evidence also suggest that "meanies" "haters" etc are also in the running.
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options

I don't even judge people for that one, it's so common.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here seem to be expecting them all to fail! Surely you should cut out your judgmental horrible personalities and support anyone who joins here, anyone who succeeds or fails. When they came here their ambition was to succeed afterall!

While I am sire that you think that your 9 posts here qualifies you to take the moral high ground, some of us actually dedicate dozens of hours per week helping people around here.

So unless you're willing to educate yourself and share that knowledge with others on a regular basis, you've no room to judge others.

In reading her posts, it's quite likely this is at least her 10th account, so maybe she's been here for a really long time, just keeps waiting for Mondays, 1sts of the month, and Jan 1sts to come around. At which time she creates a whole new account. My mind is boggled!

And has done nothing for anyone on any account.
  • laura0770
    laura0770 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I usually don't wait to start something, but different things work for different people.

I actually do have a resolution this year - and that's to keep doing what I've been doing and move closer to my goal.
    This^
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I like having a start date for something...makes it fun, gears you up, preps you IMO. I had a New Years' Resolution a few years back to run my first 5K. I stuck with it, and now run at least 3 a year. So there, haters. ;)
    You are so important that a bunch of strangers hate you. Sounds legit.

Oh I'm mega important, don't you worry.

It was tongue in cheek BTW.

Geez. People can be such asshats.

I like having a start date for something...makes it fun, gears you up, preps you IMO. I had a New Years' Resolution a few years back to run my first 5K. I stuck with it, and now run at least 3 a year. So there, haters. ;)

Why do I feel like this poster only read the title of the thread and absolutely no posts within it?

And no, I didn't read the whole thread...my apologies. I was just agreeing with the OP, which I believe I'm entitled to do.

Haters.

:wink:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    in, because this is going to end swimmingly

cute-animals-pictures-hedgehog-floating-water-animated-gif.gif

/thread

Sonic the hedgehog has really let himself go!
  • StarFit4Life
    StarFit4Life Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think whatever it is that gives you the motivation to make a shot at it is a good thing. If that means you wait until Dec 1, or Monday, or Jan 1, or whatever - who cares. This site should be about supporting those that are ready to make a change. My favorite thing to see is someone very large or obviously out of shape at the gym. That means they are at least trying - and when you see them there the next week, even better, the next week, even better.

I don't care what it takes - if you find that your motivation is to start on day x - then good on you - make it happen!!

^^this
  • marioalberto1
    marioalberto1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A new year's resolution is something people do for one week in January.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The majority of them will fail. That's just a reality. Does that mean they get less support from me? No, but I think someone waiting for a start date to change their life already has the wrong attitude going in.
    I disagree. I think it makes total sense. No need to start your journey on December 1 - that would be a sabotage. When I stopped breastfeeding my baby it was December (when I cut calories at all breastfeeding it was NOT a good thing!) - I was not going to try to start my new life right before Christmas. It is a lot easier to get 10 months under your belt before you face the dangerous time between Halloween and New Years Day. I totally get it. And I am not done - but I would consider myself a success.
    This is the exact mentality that leads to failure. Why is starting on December 1st a sabotage? I finished my bulk cycle and started my cut cycle the day after Thanksgiving. What's so bad about December 1 instead of January 1? Because of Christmas? If you think a feast on Christmas will undo the remaining 30 days of work in December, THAT'S WHY YOU WILL FAIL. Period. This is all about learning to live. Part of that is knowing that special occasions happen, feasts are normal, and should be celebrated, worked into your plan, and enjoyed, not viewed as "sabotage."
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I didn't wait for the new year but about two months before I started eating healthy I set a start date for two months awy and I stated to everyone that I was going to stop drinking soda on that date ..the closer the date got the more I mentioned it and then on that date stopped drinking soda ...which was june 3rd and I'm doing great ...all this healthy eating and exercising was a extention of that one choice .... not actually planned .... but putting the date off like that really helped me so maybe it will be the same for them . I'm happy for anyone who tries ,and I hope thye are all successful .
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

I don't even judge people for that one, it's so common.

you're right because that's often just a misspelling, but you reminded me of one word that is definitely misused more than irony...

...troll.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I was hinting that I thought your statement was immature. It means the opposite of your username, so I think it fits. But I agree that it is usually misused. I think the word "literally" is the most often misused word, but that's for another thread.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    The majority of them will fail. That's just a reality. Does that mean they get less support from me? No, but I think someone waiting for a start date to change their life already has the wrong attitude going in.
    I disagree. I think it makes total sense. No need to start your journey on December 1 - that would be a sabotage. When I stopped breastfeeding my baby it was December (when I cut calories at all breastfeeding it was NOT a good thing!) - I was not going to try to start my new life right before Christmas. It is a lot easier to get 10 months under your belt before you face the dangerous time between Halloween and New Years Day. I totally get it. And I am not done - but I would consider myself a success.
    This is the exact mentality that leads to failure. Why is starting on December 1st a sabotage? I finished my bulk cycle and started my cut cycle the day after Thanksgiving. What's so bad about December 1 instead of January 1? Because of Christmas? If you think a feast on Christmas will undo the remaining 30 days of work in December, THAT'S WHY YOU WILL FAIL. Period. This is all about learning to live. Part of that is knowing that special occasions happen, feasts are normal, and should be celebrated, worked into your plan, and enjoyed, not viewed as "sabotage."

but but but

6966add3-9e56-420c-944b-48762ff4c484_zps097840af.jpg
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I was hinting that I thought your statement was immature. It means the opposite of your username, so I think it fits. But I agree that it is usually misused. I think the word "literally" is the most often misused word, but that's for another thread.

"Define irony. A bunch of idiots dancing to a song on a plane made famous by a band that died in a plane crash"
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I see all this talk about how people will fail at their resolutions, yes they fail, not because they plan to fail but because they fail to plan..

This was my plan for 2013
    2013 Resolutions

I actually did fairly well on my resolutions for 2012. It’s not just about saying I should… You need a plan or you are just spinning your wheels and you’ll stop “being a better person” by February 1st.

so…

My 2013 New Years Resolutions

1) Lose the rest of the weight I want to lose

Degree of Difficultly: Minor

I am actually at “normal” weight right now, I just want to lose a few more pounds (11) to get well ensconsed in normal weight and to have taken off 100 pounds. Alex wants me to get down to 120 so that I can say I’m half the Al I used to be, but screw him, right in the ear.

Plan to Acheive: Continue with what I have been doing. Maintaining a caloric deficit and exercising.

2) Keep the weight off once I reach goal.

Degree of Difficulty: Medium

This is something I’ve always had issue with, I think I’ve finally figured out how to do it… Smart choices and exercise.

Plan to Acheive: I’m going to move my calorie budget up to a 0 calorie surplus once I hit goal. I will continue my exercise regimen so I should have calories enough to eat my food. Right now I’m doing a real good job at it and the only thing I’ve stopped eating is potato chips in my tunafish sandwiches.

3) Get out on a date with Janine at least once a month, no kids.

This was a resolution for 2012 and we managed 11 of 12 months. We are completely reliant on others for being able to make this happen, and we have to allow ourselves time away from Talia.

Plan to Achieve: Until camp opens I’m hoping we can have Dave and/or Maureen take Talia on a random Saturday afternoon so we can catch a movie. Nights are a little stressy on us if we can’t find someone who would come to the house and watch Talia and put her to bed as bringing her home wakes her up and throws off her game for the night and usually the week.

4) Run a half marathon by the end of the year

I want to run a full marathon in 2014 and work towards qualifying for the 2020 Boston Marathon. Why 2020, because when I turn 50 the time I need to have run another Marathon to qualify gets 5 minutes longer. If I somehow qualify before then as a 40 something, that’s just gravy.

Degree of Difficulty: High

It’s going to be hard work and I’m going to have to build my running base and put my time in and my miles in on my feet. Plus, I’m eating fairly well now, but I’m going to have to pay even better attention to my nutrition while I train.

Plan to Achieve: Hal Higdeon’s 1/2 Marathon Training Plan

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

My friend Allison, a serious runner, recommended the plan to me when I told her I wanted to run a half marathon next year.

Also, I plan on NOT RUNNING (seriously, I’m super cereal about this) from January 2nd until March 10th. To really let my foot heal. I may also go somewhere other than Runner’s Alley to get fit/matched up with a new pair of running shoes as I have serious concern that they, and not overtraining, caused my Planar Faciatias. They eyeballed everthing and didn’t have me get on a treadmill or do any of the spiffy foot analysis that I was expecting them to do. They seemed to know their stuff so I trusted them and I’m wondering now if that was the best idea. Once I know for sure what brand and type I should be wearing, I’ll go back there as they were really good with everything else I needed but the woman helping me out with my shoes may have dropped the ball.

6) Meet as many of my running/fitness goals as I can

Degree of Difficulty: Meduim

My goals are to PR a 5K and a 10K also complete the Tough Mudder and the aforementioned half marathon. I’d like to be able to chest press my own weight and maybe possibly bench it as well.

Plan to Achieve: Well for the Tough Mudder the running part is mostly covered by my normal running but I’m gonna have to step it up a little on the non-cardio at the gym. I’ll also work on my endurance and speed running once I’m hale. I’m going to add 5 pounds to my chest press everytime I can go two workouts with 2 sets of 10 in a row at that weight. Then maybe I’m going to have to find someone to spot me when I start trying to do bench presses.

7) Read More

Plan to Achieve: Once I can be running regularly the Ellipticals become my “rest day” activity and I won’t be lollygagging by reading while I’m on the Ellipticals. I’m going to try it now and see if it really slows me down. Maybe I don’t even have to wait until then

8) Take a day off a week from exercise

I know I should take the occasional rest day but now, my “rest days” are I don’t run 2 days in a row and I don’t hit the weight two days in a row but I’m exercising every single day because if I exercise I can eat more and at caloric deficit that’s fairly attractive. However, I’m resting from running every other day and resting from lifting every other day.

Plan to Achieve: Well once I hit goal my caloric budget increases by 500 calories a day. So if I hit goal not exercising won’t leave me eating super light. Plus this year I have been loath to take any day off because of the fitness Challenge but I’m not gonna stress over it next year. If taking a day off a week causes me to lose, so be it. This is all about me not some spreadsheet on google docs.