Is chivalry really dead? :(

Options

Replies

• SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Can't have chivalry and equality at the same time, so yes it's dead or at the least almost dead.
    Equality is one thing and Chivalry is another.
    They are distinct, but they sometimes come in conflict. Opening doors, for instance, is a nice gesture. It doesn't presuppose any inequality.

Picking up the tab does. If my date and I are both professionals with equal opportunities for earning, it makes no sense for us not to go dutch unless you suppose some inequality between us.

And what about doing something nice for a woman you're courting?

I don't agree with you here.

Maybe I was raised "wrong", but it makes me ridiculously uncomfortable for a woman to pay for anything in my presence. (Within reason, mind.)
    Yeah, I would say that's a problem. Can't she do something nice for you? Why does it make you feel so uncomfortable? Do you feel emasculated? Do you assume you're more successful than her? I buy stuff for my boyfriends all the time. It's a nice gesture as long as you don't require it.
  • leftyjace
    leftyjace Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Why? Would you owe her some bow chica wow wow later?
    Oh heavens no.
    I just deem it to be kind and respectful behavior to show a woman I'm trying to court.
  • leftyjace
    Options
    Yeah, I would say that's a problem. Can't she do something nice for you? Why does it make you feel so uncomfortable? Do you feel emasculated? Do you assume you're more successful than her? I buy stuff for my boyfriends all the time. It's a nice gesture as long as you don't require it.
    Of course she can do something nice for me. :) I don't feel emasculated, I just feel that if I ask her out, I should pay.
    I don't assume I'm more successful...
    I've been known to let a woman pay if she asked me out and insisted on paying.
    It was hard, but I did it.
  • Ninguneado77
    Options

To answer this thread, chivalry isn't dead but it has had to evolve to coexist with gender equality and will continue to do so. End of story.

Well if it evolves it wouldn't be the same any longer wouldn't it?
  • leftyjace
    Options
    Why? Would you owe her some bow chica wow wow later?
    Oh heavens no.
    I just deem it to be kind and respectful behavior to show a woman I'm trying to court.
    I'm going to elaborate on this....

Just because I pay doesn't mean I have any expectations. And any guy that DOES have expectations if he pays is dangerous and not a man.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Can't have chivalry and equality at the same time, so yes it's dead or at the least almost dead.
    Equality is one thing and Chivalry is another.
    They are distinct, but they sometimes come in conflict. Opening doors, for instance, is a nice gesture. It doesn't presuppose any inequality.

Picking up the tab does. If my date and I are both professionals with equal opportunities for earning, it makes no sense for us not to go dutch unless you suppose some inequality between us.

Maybe I was raised "wrong", but it makes me ridiculously uncomfortable for a woman to pay for anything in my presence. (Within reason, mind.)

Sounds like you were raised to seek your own comfort above that of the woman you're with. That's chivalrous?
  • bellaamor30
    bellaamor30 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I guess I fail to see the conflict between chivalry and equality.

Chivalry is a way of treating people...

Equality is allowing people an equal opportunity for achievement.

Men who hold back chivalry in the name of equality do so out of holding a grudge, or because they don't like showing respect to women in the first place.

But that's just my opinion.
    I like you.

I like u 2!!
  • leftyjace
    Options
    Sounds like you were raised to seek your own comfort above that of the woman you're with. That's chivalrous?
    Perhaps. Hadn't thought about it that way.
    I've had a woman say it made her uncomfortable in the past, and I've acquiesced.
    But it didn't make me any less uncomfortable.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Of course she can do something nice for me. :) I don't feel emasculated, I just feel that if I ask her out, I should pay.
    I don't assume I'm more successful...
    I've been known to let a woman pay if she asked me out and insisted on paying.
    It was hard, but I did it.
    See, that's a good attitude to have. You should have said that in the first place. The person who does the asking out should be the one who pays.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Perhaps. Hadn't thought about it that way.
    I've had a woman say it made her uncomfortable in the past, and I've acquiesced.
    But it didn't make me any less uncomfortable.

Whether we agree or not, that's a solid, honest response. Good on ya.
  • ohellotheresa
    Options
    I think people need to look in the dictionary what it means to be chivalrous before they respond. I really feel like some people are responding without knowing an ACTUAL definition.
    (lol it's mfp I am expecting way too much from people to look this up I'm sure)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    The time period and the type of society that upheld the idea of chivalry is dead. However, I do love it when a guy is a gentlemen and opens car doors, pulls out chairs, etc. it just feels nice to be treated like a lady sometimes.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

Well, to begin with most times that I'm hanging out with a girl, I'm not courting her. If we're just friends having lunch, why would it make you uncomfortable that she's paying for hers...

I tend to pay on dates too, but I expect the girl to at least offer to share the cost. In fact, not doing so is a big red flag for me.

What I'm trying to say is that I agree with doing something nice for my date because I want to do it, but I disagree with being expected to do it.
    Well if it evolves it wouldn't be the same any longer wouldn't it?
    Red queen hypothesis...
  • leftyjace
    Options
    I think people need to look in the dictionary what it means to be chivalrous before they respond. I really feel like some people are responding without knowing an ACTUAL definition.
    Please read the thread... the definition has been cited a couple of times.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

But it has been provided and argued about.

In this very thread.
  • BePawsitive
    BePawsitive Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A few things about chivalry from a woman's perspective.

1. You want to make a stranger's day... open the door for her.. smile and look her in the eye... not at her chest.
    2. Find a way to make someone's day in front of her. ex: pay for someone's toll, compliment good service, etc.
    3. Chivalry is about making others feel important.
    4. It is amazingly sexy!

There is no harm done to being kind!
  • Ninguneado77
    Options
    Confusing simple basic good manners with chivalry is really a sad indicator of how chivalry, in America at least, is dead.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Keep respect and decency toward people, but chivalry given to a woman just because she's a woman can go. I agree with those who say you can't have a true attitude of equality and gender based chivalry.

You are nice to women you are courting not just because of manners and decency, but because of chemistry, sexual attraction, and a goal (to prove that you are someone she should partner up with, in various ways.) Hopefully both people in a relationship show each other respect and decency as a way of demonstrating love and keeping the relationship healthy.
  • leftyjace
    Options
    Well, to begin with most times that I'm hanging out with a girl, I'm not courting her. If we're just friends having lunch, why would it make you uncomfortable that she's paying for hers...
    I honestly don't know. It just does.
    I think it goes back to following the example of my grandfather. He was a very well of man, a self-made successful gentleman. And he delighted in taking care of the bill. He was VERY much an old-school gentleman, and did this as part of his behavior.
    I have always tried to emulate this. I feel the practice brings a smile to a woman's face, which is never a bad thing - at least in my mind. It gives me joy.
    So is my behavior selfish in nature? Perhaps. It's possible I'm feeding my ego.
    But it's appreciated behavior. And I feel good that I'm in a financial position to not have to think twice about it. (And no, it's not Grandpa's money - it's mine. I went out and made my own. :smile: )
    I tend to pay on dates too, but I expect the girl to at least offer to share the cost. In fact, not doing so is a big red flag for me.
    Interesting.
    What I'm trying to say is that I agree with doing something nice for my date because I want to do it, but I disagree with being expected to do it.
    Now I completely agree with you there. If it's not appreciated or I don't at least get a "thank you", I don't do it again for that particular individual. And if it's a date and that happens - it's a last date.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    "Chivalrous" behavior is considered courteous behavior where I live.

Simply put, if a man doesn't behave that way (here), it's a reflection of his upbringing. When he does, it shows that he wasn't "raised by wolves."

It implies that his parents invested time in teaching him right from wrong and how to be considerate of another's feelings.

Now, whether he REALLY IS a good guy or not would remain to be seen.

I actually feel a great deal of sympathy for men who get their "hands slapped" for opening a car door or picking up a check.
    The vast majority of the time, when guys behave that way, it's has nothing to do with trying to with trying to be disrespectful. He's just trying to show you that he can be taken in public.

Please note: I'm not saying that a woman should always be a "free loader."