Is chivalry really dead? :(

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    No......it's not really needed as many girls will "give it up", with not much effort....

Lol. If you're nice to a girl just to get laid, you're a DB.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    No......it's not really needed as many girls will "give it up", with not much effort....

Lol. If you're nice to a girl just to get laid, you're a DB.

Hence my "some guys are phony" comment.
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I guess I fail to see the conflict between chivalry and equality.

Chivalry is a way of treating people...

Equality is allowing people an equal opportunity for achievement.

Men who hold back chivalry in the name of equality do so out of holding a grudge, or because they don't like showing respect to women in the first place.

But that's just my opinion.

Good point.

I don't believe it's dead. I think if a woman appreciates it and if both parties are actually open to it then it works, otherwise not . But some people don't want anything to do with it. Hate to say it, but I also think some people don't have enough respect for themselves for any of it anymore. To expect it/ to dish it...its all about wham, bam, out the door and onto the next.
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    I truly hope not... This is what separates the boys from the men.

^^^^THIS!!! SO THIS!!!^^^^
  • wheird
    Options

That is also an androgynistic comment.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options

And the girls from the women.
  • leftyjace
    leftyjace Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Points for honestly.

And... well, that's about it.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Points for honestly.

And... well, that's about it.

Handing over $25 isn't much effort.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    One can only hope.

I guess people think they deserve a pat on the back for behaving politely to women, it can't just be expected. sure, the "good old days" are gone.... I agree... one can only hope that they are gone...

My point precisely. The idea of chivalry was romanticized in the 1800s when people were revolting against the industrial revolution. Chivalry, like I said earlier, was a code of conduct created by priests to prevent knights from killing each other in times of peace. There was nothing chivalrous about knights.

Enter the Ivanhoe in the 1800s and people have been stupefied ever since. Woman can actually vote now. That's called progress. It ain't perfect but anyone who thinks females fared better in the past are moronic at best.

Did anyone say that "women fared better in the past?" I don't recall any single person making that particular argument. It would be moronic if any one had in fact made that statement. I had a high school history teacher who said the worst mistake men ever made was giving women the right to vote. I also had a guidance counselor who told me it was okay that I wasn't good at math and to just take typing classes instead. So I don't feel I need a lecture on women's rights and their advancement in the last few decades. Thinking "chivalrous" behavior is of some value is not the same as saying women should be weak, sweet, little, demure creatures who depend on a man for their very survival.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

misandryst. Men don't have Gyns.
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Some women do not appreciate chivalry. I got the whole I'm an independent woman and guys only do that to get sex speech.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    One can only hope.

I guess people think they deserve a pat on the back for behaving politely to women, it can't just be expected. sure, the "good old days" are gone.... I agree... one can only hope that they are gone...

My point precisely. The idea of chivalry was romanticized in the 1800s when people were revolting against the industrial revolution. Chivalry, like I said earlier, was a code of conduct created by priests to prevent knights from killing each other in times of peace. There was nothing chivalrous about knights.

Enter the Ivanhoe in the 1800s and people have been stupefied ever since. Woman can actually vote now. That's called progress. It ain't perfect but anyone who thinks females fared better in the past are moronic at best.

Did anyone say that "women fared better in the past?" I don't recall any single person making that particular argument. It would be moronic if any one had in fact made that statement. I had a high school history teacher who said the worst mistake men ever made was giving women the right to vote. I also had a guidance counselor who told me it was okay that I wasn't good at math and to just take typing classes instead. So I don't feel I need a lecture on women's rights and their advancement in the last few decades. Thinking "chivalrous" behavior is of some value is not the same as saying women should be weak, sweet, little, demure creatures who depend on a man for their very survival.

sht.gif
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Very interesting concept.

I am 24 years old. I have had maybe 5 relationships. NONE of those guys, including my current boyfriend, have been chivalrous. To me, the idea of a man opening a door or carrying the bags in, etc - only exists in movies.

There are plenty of girls who have the feminist mindset, where a man doing those sort of things becomes offensive.
    Though, I think that the majority of females would LOVE to be treated like they were in a movie. Including myself.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

Good call. Being nice just gets you friendzoned.
  • wheird
    Options

Oh damn it...
    I always get those words mixed up. :angry:
    5 times now. Thought I was done for the year.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

Oh damn it...

Omg! I missed #4?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!
  • wheird
    Options

Oh damn it...

Omg! I missed #4?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!

Yes, hahahahaha
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Oh good heavens, no. But it might be close. You wouldn't believe how shocked some women are when I insist on paying for their meal (even if it's not a date), open the door for them, allow them to go first, do the heavy lifting, etc. I think it's dying in Europe a lot quicker than it is here in the USA, though.

That's because SOME (not all) believe that a woman can do what a man can, or they find some aspects of chivalry "sexist" (or have been taught so).

It's not entirely dead. Some guys have held the door open for me or asked to help me carry things.
  • johan1585
    johan1585 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I guess I fail to see the conflict between chivalry and equality.

Chivalry is a way of treating people...

Equality is allowing people an equal opportunity for achievement.

Men who hold back chivalry in the name of equality do so out of holding a grudge, or because they don't like showing respect to women in the first place.

But that's just my opinion.

Have got to agree with that nothing wrong with chivalry or equality going together.
    It just means that she buys the groceries and i get to bring them up in the appartment.
    Or in my case i cook dinner cause she allways gets of work later then i do.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Clearly, it is not dead:
    1_538319.gif