P90X (NOVEMBER 1) - BRING IT

Options

Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I was so excited to be done with legs & back till I remembered ab ripper x still needed to be done. Ain't that a b!t*h. Made it through both. Kenpo tomorrow!

ME TOO!!
    LOL, had recovery drink in hand, HRM stopped, ready to sit down, but hadn't yet turned of the DVD. ABX started and I said, "CR@P!"
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, after legs that is the harding ab ripper exercise. I always knew my legs were thick, but they are beyond heavy while trying to do bicycles.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    P90X Lean Day 6: Kenpo X

Another great work out! Once I get all the moves down I think I will really love this one. Star Blocks are tough to get right. Glad I did Gold's Gym Shape Boxing on the Wii for a month before this, helped a ton.

Took me 76 minutes to do this one, including breaks. After every exercise I checked my BPM and if at, or too close to, 180 BPM I paused the DVD till I was down to about 145 BPM then started up again. During the pauses, I paced back and forth & sipped water or my chocolate flavored instant breakfast drink with Skim Milk.

Some stats:

153 BPM AVG
    184 BPM MAX
    46% of the time spent between 162 - 180 BPM
    28% between 144 - 161
    17% between 126 - 143

76 minutes at 153 BPM AVG gives me a calorie burn of 1103.
    76 minutes at 80 BPM ("normal" activity) is 262 calories

1103 - 262 = 841 Calories net
    Then I round down to 800 and that's what I use for my calories burned for the workout.

That's how I've been figuring out my calorie burn. Any thoughts on it?
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, after legs that is the harding ab ripper exercise. I always knew my legs were thick, but they are beyond heavy while trying to do bicycles.

bicycles ... grrrrr

that's all I have to say on that.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Chris: I like how you do your calorie burn subtracting the "normal activity" -- I have heard about this before with respect to getting a true accurate calculation. I also round down for calorie burn calculations. When on a machine at the gym, since they do not ask for gender, I subtract 20% and that usually gives me close to what I get from the triathalon calories burned calculator that I check.

I am seriously entertaining the idea of getting a bodybugg/bodymedia device -- mostly because I like to be accurate and I'll be changing my workouts consistently so I will always want to know how many calories I burn and how efficient my body is becoming. I am just going to get the device/arm band to plug into my PC -- it will save me $75 bucks -- if I feel like I need the instant gratification, I can get it later.
  • TheSuperSaiyan
    Options
    Day 5 update: I actually injured my legs yesterday and instead of doing legs and back I did what I could on my legs, and the pulls up, plus some martial-arts ands stretching to make up for it. I just configured my 30min of stretching and 30min of karate opposed to a p90x full work out.

Day 6: Kenpo X. - I just finished my testing today and I got my yellow belt... Wasn't really even focused today since their is a girl who's in the class that I admire greatly and she just so happens to be a sensei... Lol. No biggie though cause I didn't need to focus to finish the test. And Kenpo X will come later this afternoon followed by a master class of Zumba. And even more stretching since my legs are killing my still!
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Kenpo X today...one of my favorite workouts inthe series, then met with a friedn for a 4 1/2 mile run. I did not eat enough this morning...I have been feeling very lightheaded...I should of taken a protein shake with me.
    Everyone is doing great!!
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    legs/back yesterday was great, and ARX did me dirty but I felt SO good when I was done. I have definitely already noticed a difference in my body, how I'm looking, etc. Which is rad :)

I'm training a few people to run a 5k in December, so we did about 3 miles this morning, and I'm looking forward to Kenpo! I've got to admit, though, my body is super tired from the week. Do my best and forget the rest :wink:
  • joymarino
    joymarino Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Can't wait to see your results. It is an amazing program. Many of my friends have done it too. Not sure if I want to embark on it or do Turbo Fire instead.
  • marinabrazil
    marinabrazil Posts: 106 Member
    Options

bicycles ... grrrrr

that's all I have to say on that.

I am on day 23 of classic and this week I tried something different. I always have a hard time doing ARX after Legs and Back for obvious reasons, so I did ARX and THEN legs and back. Felt so much better and I imagine that the results are the same anyway..well...just a suggestion. YogaX in a little while, owie.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I just finished Kenpo X. It feels be able to work out in the early afternoon as opposed to the evening when I get home from work. I really like that DVD. It certainly got my heart rate up. According to my HRM, I burned 572 calories.
  • SaraTN
    Options
    I am on day 23 of classic and this week I tried something different. I always have a hard time doing ARX after Legs and Back for obvious reasons, so I did ARX and THEN legs and back. Felt so much better and I imagine that the results are the same anyway..well...just a suggestion. YogaX in a little while, owie.

Here is something I lifted off the Beachbody thread I participate on regarding doing the ABX first. It is just a word of caution:

Although in theory this sounds like a good idea, I have always trained abs last. I did this on the advice of a couple of good trainers I had years ago. Their advice was to train Core and specifically abs last. There are two main reasons:

1) Abs and core are used to support the body doing other exercise and if you tire out your mid-section, it is much harder to maintain form and to support the work being done by the legs or arms in larger muscle workouts; and

2) Abs being tired during strenuous exercises is a big source of injury. As the abs support and provide a foundation for the core, it is much more likely to hurt yourself doing abs first then other muscles later. This is especially true for back issues where tired abs cannot counter-balance well enough and the back muscles fall out of alignment or become over taxed to try to compensate.

I am not saying don't do Ab Ripper X first if it works for you but I likely will not as I have had back issues that are behind me (LOL), but I don't want them to flare up again.

However, both abs and calves can be trained when tired and trained more often as they tend to recover much faster (after a lifetime of regular use and abuse).
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I just completed Yoga X ... and I know this is not a popular opinion but I LOVED IT. Day 4 done and I am stoked on this program. The only thing that blew it for me on the yoga dvd is the EXTRA LOUD ADVERTISEMENT after the yoga is done. Seriously? I think I am going to write in to them and tell them next press to cut that out of the yoga DVD or put it in the front. Way to take me out of my relaxation LOL.

Made a banana almond butter cup recovery drink today and it's super yummy. I made that before Yoga and took some sips off it before and again during ... finishing it for "lunch" today.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The only thing that blew it for me on the yoga dvd is the EXTRA LOUD ADVERTISEMENT after the yoga is done. Seriously? I think I am going to write in to them and tell them next press to cut that out of the yoga DVD or put it in the front. Way to take me out of my relaxation LOL.

Totally agreed! I loved it too, although I think I will do it alone next time (the boif isn't a very good motivator next to me... tumbling and grumbling the whole time).

Just finished Kenpo and LOVE LOVE LOVE. Reminds me of my ol' college days (not that long ago, only 5 years, lol), when I'd take Stage Combat and Capoeira daily. At the beginning of the year we were all running outside to puke, and by the end of the year we could walk on our hands and do spinning/jumping kicks and things. (not that I was close to puking during Kenpo... but the martial arts stuff gives me fond memories :laugh: )

Hurray for day 6! Looking forward to an easy day tomorrow!
  • Ponsone
    Options
    I'm on day 28 of P90X, 62 days to go. I feel great, i lost weight, and I am looking forward to more.
  • SaraTN
    Options
    I changed my mind regarding my earlier post. Everyone had such great things to say about Kenpo that I just had to do it tonight. (Hopefully it won't have me jacked up until 3am) but since we are turning our clocks back and I don't have anything pressing to do tomorrow I guess it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I LOVED it... but I have to admit the first segment of punches had me a little confused... I am sure it was comical since I have never hit anyone in my life and with the kicks years of dance showed up with lots of pointed toes... I did my best and as time went on I became more coordinated. This is one I will look forward to... actually I look forward to them all except Monday's chest and back!
  • TheSuperSaiyan
    Options
    I changed my mind regarding my earlier post. Everyone had such great things to say about Kenpo that I just had to do it tonight. (Hopefully it won't have me jacked up until 3am) but since we are turning our clocks back and I don't have anything pressing to do tomorrow I guess it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I LOVED it... but I have to admit the first segment of punches had me a little confused... I am sure it was comical since I have never hit anyone in my life and with the kicks years of dance showed up with lots of pointed toes... I did my best and as time went on I became more coordinated. This is one I will look forward to... actually I look forward to them all except Monday's chest and back!

A note on kenpo x. If you point your toes back when you do a forward kick it is actually good techniques as when you hit something you'd want to hit it with the ball of your feet. When you do a sick kick, then point your toes down and pretend your hitting your target with the space between your ankle and lower leg, or the hard ball surface below your ankle on your foot. Not exactly cardio-related, but at least in a real fight if you need to defend yourself you wont hurt yourself in the long run trying. =)

Another note: I upgrade my punches to using weights on both hands and pausing the video, doing it slowly, and going for 50 each side (forward punch and reverse punch, 100 altogether).

Explanation: With your right foot back, left foot forward the left hand punching forward is called a forward punch, while the right hand (which is further back) is called a reverse punch.

Hope this helped anyone =)
  • SaraTN
    Options
    Thank you - that is helpful.
  • TheSuperSaiyan
    Options
    Day 7 P90x: Stretch X, AND I'm doing Cardio X just for the heck of it. I had a master Zumba class last night and it was amazing. I did Kenpo X and some of my own Wing Chun workouts. Today I'm shaving my head and renewing my vows, and will be meditating most of the day, but will be sure to get my stretch and cardio x in. =)

Good job everyone!!!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Horray for the day of rest! It's Day 7 and I can just kick back and relax today. I don't know about everyone else, but I am feeling the past couple of days, especially in my booty. I just finished breakfast, and I am going to get some laundry going. Then, I am off to church for the 10 AM service. Afterward, they are going to have a fair trade gift market where all of the profits go back to the participating charities. They are:
    A Little Something
    A Mark on the World
    Bead for Life
    Church World Service
    Equal Exchange
    Friends of Sabeel
    Ruth Goebel Women’s Program at Beacon Place
    Heifer International
    Koinonia
    Ladies Sewing Circle
    Pachyderm Power
    People of Hope Crafts