Holy sexism, batman!

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    still not sure what a mangina is

My guess? Slang for someone who's not a complete piece of flaming ****.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Since we are moving towards a feminism debate I'd just like to say that women do have the same rights as men, in some cases more rights than men (divorce, false rape cases we talked about earlier, ect.)

And the reason for the gender pay gap is due mostly to women taking time off from work for pregnancies and other things that men don't have to take time off for, allowing them to get further ahead in a shorter amount of time. I'll try to find the article later if people want me to, but it showed how men an women in the same job for the same amount of time only made a few cents difference in pay.

That being said I'm taking a nap lol
  • ExtremePhobia
    Options
    Unless we as a gender are going to start refusing the perks that come with men finding us physically attractive (a drink sent over by the gentleman over there, anyone?), it seems disingenuous to be outraged when the attention we get isn't the kind we want or that benefits us in some way. That doesn't mean that catcalls and having things shouted at us is ok, it's simply the bad side of the same coin.
    If you're serious that we have to accept that sort of behavior in exchange for having "a drink sent over by the gentleman over there", then oh my god yes, we should totally refuse.

If I don't have money to pay my own way, I don't go out. Why on earth would it be a man's obligation to pay for my drinks? (note, taking turns paying for going out to dinner and such is not what I'm talking about).

No, my point is that we as women seem to have no problem with men only taking into the account the physical when it works in our favor, then scream about being objectified when the attention is unwanted. I never see women complaining about getting free upgrades or getting out of speeding tickets because the other party thought they were attractive. The knife cuts both ways.

I've always been able to pay my own way and I don't believe that it's a man's obligation to pay for anything (just ask my husband), but that doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the fact that men are doing nice things for me because of the way I look and not because of my Master's degree. I doubt we're going to see a big feminist movement demanding those practices end, because we justify things we like as acceptable practices in courtship.
    Ya keep saying "we as women" like we're this monolithic thing that behaves identically. Not all men behave in a sexist, douchey way, so I don't make statements about "all men".

Getting free upgrades or getting out of speeding tickets because the other party thought they were attractive is repugnant to me as well. If it isn't to you, well, I really don't think we have any common ground to discuss this further.

Selective reading is selective.

They were saying that they don't believe such actions are fair or right and (basically) that part of the problem with being objectified is that many women frequently welcome it when it benefits them. Then you restate their position as your own, going so far as to call that behavior repugnant (You both think that this behavior is negative) and then tell them that they are SO wrong and such a terrible person that you'll never find common ground. Except you just agreed with them...

At some point, hopefully you'll take a breather from all the "important" things you have to say and realize that the world isn't filled with the awful monster-people that you seem to think it's filled with.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Women tend to be paranoid and hypersensitive, if you're male, just walking on the same street at night with an alone female can get you harassed by police.

Feminists fill women's head with phoney and bogus rape statistics such as the classic 1 in 4 women will be raped, and who gets stereotyped as being a potential rapist in every scenario possible? MEN.

You literally can not say or do anything to a woman these days, no matter how friendly lest you are charged with some BS harassment lawsuit because she just feels subjectively 'threatened' in some way. These are all symptoms of a hate movement called feminism.

well.. it's not like we fell on a **** and raped our selves.

According to "most men" (since we are generalizing things here).. .men cannot get raped. there are two genders in the world- men.. and women.

So either a man is raping the woman or a woman is raping a woman. since I'd go out on a limb and say man on woman violence/rape is higher than woman/woman rape/violance- you're damn right the statistic is higher.

1 in 4? like it's a joke- that's 25% of the population of women- that's a lot of fricking women.

Feminism is not a hate movement. It's about wanting to be a person. I am a human being- a person first- a woman second. I am not a woman first and person second. It's wanting to be treated as equal and to be treated fairly.

And the grim reality is.. we aren't. I'm not what I could consider to be a "feminist" but I believe that we should have the same rights- the same pay and no gender discrimination- both ways. we should be treated as people- not "treated the same despite the fact we are women" that makes it sounds like a disease.

Edit.
    I'm not hyper sensitive- and I"m not paranoid- but I am aware there are bad people in the world- and I make it a point to NOT put myself into a position where I am liable to be stuck in a corner with said bad people. That doesn't end well for me or for them.

Feminism is a hate movement. I will send you some links to places where you can understand what i am asserting here.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    It's a man with a vagina. Which illustrates sexism so well -- it assumes that women are lesser than men, so therefore a man being called a woman is the worst insult possible.
    Exactly. That's why I was saying I was willing to entertain discussion of the roots of anti-homosexual prejudice being rooted in sexism.
  • Mrsallypants
    Options

My guess? Slang for someone who's not a complete piece of flaming ****.

There are many dictionaries online, I'm sure if you had the knowledge on how to use a search engine the meaning of this word wouldn't elude you, you pathetic mangina.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Since we are moving towards a feminism debate I'd just like to say that women do have the same rights as men, in some cases more rights than men (divorce, false rape cases we talked about earlier, ect.)

And the reason for the gender pay gap is due mostly to women taking time off from work for pregnancies and other things that men don't have to take time off for, allowing them to get further ahead in a shorter amount of time. I'll try to find the article later if people want me to, but it showed how men an women in the same job for the same amount of time only made a few cents difference in pay.

Good. Maybe when you've had a little sleep, you'll see how it sounds sexist when you say "women taking time off from work for pregnancies and other things that men don't have to take time off for".
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    sallypants reminds me of that guy at the bar who has had a few too many and thinks he's being clever and witty, when in actuality everyone is laughing at hime, and honestly a little embarassed for him
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Does it have the Oaxaca decomposition for men vs. women? If so, I'd love to see it. (econ nerd)
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It's a man with a vagina. Which illustrates sexism so well -- it assumes that women are lesser than men, so therefore a man being called a woman is the worst insult possible.
    Exactly. That's why I was saying I was willing to entertain discussion of the roots of anti-homosexual prejudice being rooted in sexism.
    I saw an article somewhere that explained that straight men's fear of gay men is actually the fear that the gay men will treat them the way they treat women -- as objects. Fascinating. I should try to find it.
  • Mrsallypants
    Options

omg guys, this place is so heteronormative , so totally cis white heterosexual males here. so privileged. durrr
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest; you don't have to be at your goal weight to get attention. You don't need to have a Baywatch bod to turn heads. You don't even need to be looking for attention to get it.

Earlier tonight: I've had a few glasses of wine. I head to the liquor store 10 mins away at 9:00 pm, alone, but made sure my mum and boyfriend knew what was up just in case. Everything's great until I get home, and on the walkway to the building is some guy. No big deal. Across the way on the grass is another guy. Now it's kindof a deal. But still, head down, keep marching, and don't look like you're asking for trouble, right? Wrong. Catcalling. Not flattering. I never pull the door closed on anyone, but tonight I made an exception, both for the outer and inner (key access only) doors. Once I'm in, two inebriated guys come out of the elevator. No catcalls, just uncomfortable looks. You know the kind when you're coveting a fancy dress or plate of food? Not the look anyone is supposed to give a stranger. I walk in a wide arc around, then get in the elevator and lay on the "close doors" button, just in case. My heart doesn't stop pounding until I'm behind the locked door of my apartment, and even then, I keep an ear out just in case anyone saw my floor from the lobby.

Say what you want. Say sexism is a myth, and feminism is redundant because women have no reason to feel marginalized. If you can't feel safe walking around your own home, there's a problem.

Not looking for pity or attention, just a little positive support.

Strreet Harassment is a thing. And if they are making you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, it's NOT a compliment.

These things have happened as a result of women rejecting their street harassers:

http://likearadiowave.tumblr.com/post/70827423180/in-san-francisco-last-year-a-man-stabbed-a-woman

" In San Francisco last year, a man stabbed a woman in the face and arm after she didn’t respond positively to his sexually harassing her on the street.

"In Bradenton, Fla., a man shot a high school senior to death after she and her friends refused to perform oral sex at his request. "

There's a problem when you're attacking and murdering women who don't respond kindly to your obvious harassment.
  • Mrsallypants
    Options
    I saw an article somewhere that explained that straight men's fear of gay men is actually the fear that the gay men will treat them the way they treat women -- as objects. Fascinating. I should try to find it.

Where was it written? Jezebel?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    As the parent of a son who is good looking and outgoing, and very appreciative of the female population, it makes me really sad that genuine compliments are going to get him in trouble with people with a chip on their shoulder. 99.9% of men who whistle appreciatively, tell you that you're beautiful, or anything like that are doing it as a prelude to rape.

Similarly, as the parent of a daughter, I don't want her to be so antagonistic and fearful of every man who tells her she's pretty. Because she's a gorgeous girl, and she's going to hear it a lot. And I hate to think of her doing anything beyond smiling brightly with her cute little dimples, and saying thanks.

The world's just not that bad a place, when you look at it the right way.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

Good. Maybe when you've had a little sleep, you'll see how it sounds sexist when you say "women taking time off from work for pregnancies and other things that men don't have to take time off for".

How is that sexist? You're just fishing now. When women have babies they take time off from work. When they take time off from work it sets them back from where a man who didn't take the time off is. I never said it was bad, I never said all women have babies. I was stating a fact. Please stop being so butthurt.

Edit: @wiscck I'll look for it later. Just took my pain meds from my surgery a few days ago and they knock me out pretty fast haha
  • Mrsallypants
    Options
    sallypants reminds me of that guy at the bar who has had a few too many and thinks he's being clever and witty, when in actuality everyone is laughing at hime, and honestly a little embarassed for him

You just can't hang, just like mos leftists.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Let's be honest; you don't have to be at your goal weight to get attention. You don't need to have a Baywatch bod to turn heads. You don't even need to be looking for attention to get it.

Earlier tonight: I've had a few glasses of wine. I head to the liquor store 10 mins away at 9:00 pm, alone, but made sure my mum and boyfriend knew what was up just in case. Everything's great until I get home, and on the walkway to the building is some guy. No big deal. Across the way on the grass is another guy. Now it's kindof a deal. But still, head down, keep marching, and don't look like you're asking for trouble, right? Wrong. Catcalling. Not flattering. I never pull the door closed on anyone, but tonight I made an exception, both for the outer and inner (key access only) doors. Once I'm in, two inebriated guys come out of the elevator. No catcalls, just uncomfortable looks. You know the kind when you're coveting a fancy dress or plate of food? Not the look anyone is supposed to give a stranger. I walk in a wide arc around, then get in the elevator and lay on the "close doors" button, just in case. My heart doesn't stop pounding until I'm behind the locked door of my apartment, and even then, I keep an ear out just in case anyone saw my floor from the lobby.

Say what you want. Say sexism is a myth, and feminism is redundant because women have no reason to feel marginalized. If you can't feel safe walking around your own home, there's a problem.

Not looking for pity or attention, just a little positive support.

Strreet Harassment is a thing. And if they are making you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, it's NOT a compliment.

These things have happened as a result of women rejecting their street harassers:

http://likearadiowave.tumblr.com/post/70827423180/in-san-francisco-last-year-a-man-stabbed-a-woman

" In San Francisco last year, a man stabbed a woman in the face and arm after she didn’t respond positively to his sexually harassing her on the street.

"In Bradenton, Fla., a man shot a high school senior to death after she and her friends refused to perform oral sex at his request. "

There's a problem when you're attacking and murdering women who don't respond kindly to your obvious harassment.
    But it's ok because the guys who didn't stab anyone didn't mean it "that way."
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Feminism is a hate movement. I will send you some links to places where you can understand what i am asserting here.

it is absolutely not a hate movement.
    you know- I was going to say something along those lines- but I didn't want to devolve onto that - but yeah- it definitely seemed to me that there is no way this guy would ever get anything at a bar because he would just get tore the hell up. no chance- what so ever- and just sad. everywhere.

correct.
    it's a historically sound argument that women are weaker than men- and there for lesser than men- which is why "stop being such a woman" is an insult. seriously- the BASIC PREMISE IS THAT WOMEN ARE LESS THAN MEN.

ever notice almost ever "big" insult is one related to women?
    B*tch
    P*ssy
    who*e
    C8cksucker
    mangina
    tw*t

the list goes on

if you call someone friend a d*ck- magic 8 ball says he's going to just laugh.

If you call him a pu**y- magic 8 ball says you are going to get into a fight.

It's not like we make this crap up for the hell of it.
    Options
    The way she was describing the look means that they weren't just looking and if you've ever been looked at like that it makes you way uncomfortable. Boys and girls look at you when walking down the street, it's natural, but when people look at you like you're a meal or they own you it's really creepy and I don't blame her at all for avoiding them, especially since she was alone.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

How is that sexist? You're just fishing now. When women have babies they take time off from work. When they take time off from work it sets them back from where a man who didn't take the time off is. I never said it was bad, I never said all women have babies. I was stating a fact. Please stop being so butthurt
    I'm not butthurt.

But you missed the point. Men take parental leave too. That's all I'm saying.

ETA. Also, I really don't understand why it sets them back. If a dude had surgery and had to be out for a little while or something, he'd just pick up his job where he left off. It's not like a woman takes time off to have her baby and then when she comes back people are now living on Mars or something.