• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    More bacon for me.

And eat a hamburger. You sound cranky.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    B12 is not inherently an animal product (it's bacteria) so needing to supplement says nothing about whether or not we are "meant" to be vegans.

It actually says a lot about the types of foods we evolved to consume, because to my knowledge there is no natural source of B12 other than animals. We can synthesize it in a vegan way using bacteria, but it can't be found in nature in any food source except animals.

Animals get B12 from eating plant matter in the soil. If our soil wasn't so "clean" and if we didn't wash our veggies and ate enough of them we would consume enough B12 without animal products.

Also, people over 50 have a difficult time extracting B12 from meat (it has to do with enzymes that aide in digestion) and should start supplementing to avoid a deficiency.

Human beings are omnivores. We are very adaptable and able to survive on excessive amounts of meat (even diets that consist of almost only animal fat and flesh) and we are also able to survive well on plant based foods only.

That's nice that animals do that. Humans can't, to my knowledge, get sufficient quantities of B12 from eating plant matter "in the soil." Your claim that we can get enough B12 by, um.... eating dirt seems more than a little suspicious.

The fact that people over 50 have a difficult time getting enough B12 from natural sources doesn't say anything about what we were "meant" to eat or about how much dirt we should be eating. It's an evolutionary piece of trivia. People over 50 generally don't breed, so there's little to no evolutionary pressure for such a deficiency to be bred out of the gene pool.

The point stands that it's apparently impossible to get sufficient B12 from natural sources unless you eat animal products (or, as you claim, dirt). That does say something about what we have evolved to consume.

To the best of my knowledge, it's impossible to live on plant-based material only.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Your analogy is flawed. A predatory animal, such as a wolf, feasts when a kill is made but then they won't eat for days afterwards. I assume you don't eat 4000cals then skip a days worth of eating do you, so that it evens out at 2000cals/day?

Oooops I should have read further.

To add to this train of thought...they also don't sit and watch tv...ride around in cars...

I am not exactly sure what I meant about the tv and the cars...other than...I don't think that comparing the eating habits of humans and animals make a lot of sense....different requirements...
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    TL;DR
  • Veganhclf
    Veganhclf Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Your analogy is flawed. A predatory animal, such as a wolf, feasts when a kill is made but then they won't eat for days afterwards. I assume you don't eat 4000cals then skip a days worth of eating do you, so that it evens out at 2000cals/day?

Oooops I should have read further.

To add to this train of thought...they also don't sit and watch tv...ride around in cars...

I am not exactly sure what I meant about the tv and the cars...other than...I don't think that comparing the eating habits of humans and animals make a lot of sense....different requirements...
    You can loose weight on a plant based low fat diet while being sedentary but in order to get lean and skinny you need to move your *kitten*.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    We're not meant to eat dead animals? So evolution is wrong is it. Just because you CHOOSE to limit your diet does not change the fact that you're an omnivore. You have evolved to consume both meat and vegetables/fruit.

Being vegan isn't some magic weight loss equation either, especially if you're consuming 4000cals/day - unless you burn more than you consume you will gain weight.

This.

Also how do you know your eating 4000 calories if you don't measure it?

I went Vegan, collapsed at the gym then started eating meat again and feel better for it.

I tried vegan for a few weeks...I couldn't deal with the gas problems. It didn't go away...just kept getting worse.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    B12 is not inherently an animal product (it's bacteria) so needing to supplement says nothing about whether or not we are "meant" to be vegans.

It actually says a lot about the types of foods we evolved to consume, because to my knowledge there is no natural source of B12 other than animals. We can synthesize it in a vegan way using bacteria, but it can't be found in nature in any food source except animals.

Animals get B12 from eating plant matter in the soil. If our soil wasn't so "clean" and if we didn't wash our veggies and ate enough of them we would consume enough B12 without animal products.

Also, people over 50 have a difficult time extracting B12 from meat (it has to do with enzymes that aide in digestion) and should start supplementing to avoid a deficiency.

Human beings are omnivores. We are very adaptable and able to survive on excessive amounts of meat (even diets that consist of almost only animal fat and flesh) and we are also able to survive well on plant based foods only.

That's nice that animals do that. Humans can't, to my knowledge, get sufficient quantities of B12 from eating plant matter "in the soil." Your claim that we can get enough B12 by, um.... eating dirt seems more than a little suspicious.

The fact that people over 50 have a difficult time getting enough B12 from natural sources doesn't say anything about what we were "meant" to eat or about how much dirt we should be eating. It's an evolutionary piece of trivia. People over 50 generally don't breed, so there's little to no evolutionary pressure for such a deficiency to be bred out of the gene pool.

The point stands that it's apparently impossible to get sufficient B12 from natural sources unless you eat animal products (or, as you claim, dirt). That does say something about what we have evolved to consume.

To the best of my knowledge, it's impossible to live on plant-based material only.

This is interesting. However, fortified foods will suffice in our modern society. Nevertheless, it does seem we are to some extent at least obligate lacto or ovo vegetarian, if not carnivores. I suppose for those doing this for ethical and environmental reasons being vegan with supplements is still the lightest load on living things and more sustainable humanity. I just hope vegans also strive to bicycle everywhere, own nothing made in a sweatshop, and spend the money they save from owning practically nothing on charity for humans. St. Jude Children's Hospital is just one of many good organizations to donate to for those seeking to spread kindness in the world.
  • Veganhclf
    Veganhclf Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We're not meant to eat dead animals? So evolution is wrong is it. Just because you CHOOSE to limit your diet does not change the fact that you're an omnivore. You have evolved to consume both meat and vegetables/fruit.

Being vegan isn't some magic weight loss equation either, especially if you're consuming 4000cals/day - unless you burn more than you consume you will gain weight.

This.

Also how do you know your eating 4000 calories if you don't measure it?

I went Vegan, collapsed at the gym then started eating meat again and feel better for it.

I tried vegan for a few weeks...I couldn't deal with the gas problems. It didn't go away...just kept getting worse.
    Happened to me too, but i went away after about a month.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    And I've cut almost all sodium and fat from my diet

That's dangerous. Our bodies need sodium. Athletes need more than 2500mg per day to replace the amount lost when we sweat.
  • jonnythan
    Options

This is interesting. However, fortified foods will suffice in our modern society. Nevertheless, it does seem we are to some extent at least obligate lacto or ovo vegetarian, if not carnivores. I suppose for those doing this for ethical and environmental reasons being vegan with supplements is still the lightest load on living things and more sustainable humanity. I just hope vegans also strive to bicycle everywhere, own nothing made in a sweatshop, and spend the money they save from owning practically nothing on charity for humans. St. Jude Children's Hospital is just one of many good organizations to donate to for those seeking to spread kindness in the world.

Sure, there are plenty of reasons to be vegan. I don't care if any particular person is vegan. But I take issue with the argument that veganism is more healthy than alternatives, or that people are meant to be vegan, etc.

The fact is that veganism is literally impossible without modern technology.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    And I've cut almost all sodium and fat from my diet

That's dangerous. Our bodies need sodium. Athletes need more than 2500mg per day to replace the amount lost when we sweat.
    We also need fat for proper hormone function.
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    enhanced-buzz-4713-1358286070-8.jpg
    enhanced-buzz-3557-1358285973-2.jpg
    enhanced-buzz-8258-1358286881-8.jpg
    enhanced-buzz-3960-1358286607-13.jpg
    enhanced-buzz-17980-1358293185-1.jpg
    enhanced-buzz-32498-1358286251-2.jpg

^^^^^^^ All of this is Vegan so you are saying that people can eat as much of this stuff as they want everyday and never gain weight because it's Vegan?

Why would anyone think these products are vegan? Pop tarts aren't even vegetarian.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Protip, you are not eating 4000 calories a day and losing weight.

But good try.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options

I really don't disagree with you. I would never say that humans are "meant" to eat a purely plant based diet. Nor would I say that they are "meant" to eat meat.

it is impossible to live on a plant-based material only. We need B12 supplementation:)

"Where does Vitamin B12 come from?"

It's very important for you to grasp that in our modern food supply B12 is found MOSTLY in animal products. Why? Because Vitamin B12 comes from our soil. When a cow, for instance, chomps on grass she eats this vitamin B12-enriched soil.

And those ancestors of ours who were able to thrive on a plant-based diet without adding any Vegan Vitamin B12 supplements? Well, they were getting their food directly out of the ground still covered in soil -- soil which they were never quite able to completely remove. Our food today is usually very clean by the time it makes it to our stores, and then we further clean it in our own kitchen (since most of us don't like the taste of dirt). Goodbye Vitamin B12.

If you eat a plant-strong diet, you MUST be sure you're getting the amount of B-12 you need.

Read more: http://www.vegancoach.com/vegan-vitamin-B12.html#ixzz2p4yxMTpc
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

So we agree to disagree. Humans get the B-12 the same way that the animals do. Not necessarily through eating dirt, but because the food is "contaminated" in the soil with the bacteria. Because of the advances in how we do things, no, it's not a good bet to only eat plant foods grown and processed in modern times and depend on your B-12, particularly with a supplement readily available.

If animals were only fed other animals that didn't eat plant material, meat-eaters eating those animals would also not get any B-12. To say that B12 is a "natural" animal product is false.

We actually don't need tons of B-12 and store it for some time. Yes, I do believe that prior to the changes in how we do things, humans could get sufficient B-12 from a plant based diet without supplementation. They didn't have to eat mud pies to do that.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Sure, there are plenty of reasons to be vegan. I don't care if any particular person is vegan. But I take issue with the argument that veganism is more healthy than alternatives, or that people are meant to be vegan, etc.

The fact is that veganism is literally impossible without modern technology.

I'm glad you posted it, I didn't realize B12 is so scarce outside of animal sources. If I ever go vegan I'll know to supplement.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    And also this:

images_zpsb0938f47.jpg
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Why would anyone think these products are vegan? Pop tarts aren't even vegetarian.

They are. The ones with frosting aren't, but the ones without are. Oreos definitely are. The rest probably are, but I haven't looked it up.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    enhanced-buzz-4713-1358286070-8.jpg
    enhanced-buzz-3557-1358285973-2.jpg
    enhanced-buzz-8258-1358286881-8.jpg
    enhanced-buzz-3960-1358286607-13.jpg
    enhanced-buzz-17980-1358293185-1.jpg
    enhanced-buzz-32498-1358286251-2.jpg

^^^^^^^ All of this is Vegan so you are saying that people can eat as much of this stuff as they want everyday and never gain weight because it's Vegan?

yep, I think that is what she is saying. smh

NOW NOW NOW guys... to be fair... she did say HIGH CARB and LOW FAT vegan.

This is the same ridiculous diet people like Durian Rider and Freelee The Banana Girl are touting. They are making the same outrageous claims that they are eating 3-4000 calories a day.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    And those ancestors of ours who were able to thrive on a plant-based diet without adding any Vegan Vitamin B12 supplements? Well, they were getting their food directly out of the ground still covered in soil -- soil which they were never quite able to completely remove.

That is total BS. They weren't getting B12 from dirt. That claim is absurd.