High carb vegan diet

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

The fact is that veganism is literally impossible without modern technology.
    This. There is a reason vegans in the past had to hide themselves in the mountains of the east........they were slowly starving to death and too weak to fight.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Chicken or the egg. Veganism is (arguably) impossible in modern technology BECAUSE of modern technology. Without that technology, when it comes to B12, we don't need that technology.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    And those ancestors of ours who were able to thrive on a plant-based diet without adding any Vegan Vitamin B12 supplements? Well, they were getting their food directly out of the ground still covered in soil -- soil which they were never quite able to completely remove.

That is total BS. They weren't getting B12 from dirt. That claim is absurd.

Where do the animals get it from?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

That's nice that animals do that. Humans can't, to my knowledge, get sufficient quantities of B12 from eating plant matter "in the soil." Your claim that we can get enough B12 by, um.... eating dirt seems more than a little suspicious.

The fact that people over 50 have a difficult time getting enough B12 from natural sources doesn't say anything about what we were "meant" to eat or about how much dirt we should be eating. It's an evolutionary piece of trivia. People over 50 generally don't breed, so there's little to no evolutionary pressure for such a deficiency to be bred out of the gene pool.

The point stands that it's apparently impossible to get sufficient B12 from natural sources unless you eat animal products (or, as you claim, dirt). That does say something about what we have evolved to consume.

To the best of my knowledge, it's impossible to live on plant-based material only.

So we agree to disagree. Humans get the B-12 the same way that the animals do. Not necessarily through eating dirt, but because the food is "contaminated" in the soil with the bacteria. Because of the advances in how we do things, no, it's not a good bet to only eat plant foods grown and processed in modern times and depend on your B-12, particularly with a supplement readily available.

If animals were only fed other animals that didn't eat plant material, meat-eaters eating those animals would also not get any B-12. To say that B12 is a "natural" animal product is false.

We actually don't need tons of B-12 and store it for some time. Yes, I do believe that prior to the changes in how we do things, humans could get sufficient B-12 from a plant based diet without supplementation. They didn't have to eat mud pies to do that.

There's nothing to agree or disagree with. We're discussing facts, not opinions.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. It is a fact that veganism is impossible without modern technology (unless you accept the ludicrous claim that you can get enough B12 by eating your veggies with dirt on them).
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    And I've cut almost all sodium and fat from my diet

That's dangerous. Our bodies need sodium. Athletes need more than 2500mg per day to replace the amount lost when we sweat.
    We also need fat for proper hormone function.

I was going to launch into that as well, but it turned into 3 solid paragraphs. Aint nobody got time to read that.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

There's nothing to agree or disagree with. We're discussing facts, not opinions.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. It is a fact that veganism is impossible without modern technology (unless you accept the ludicrous claim that you can get enough B12 by eating your veggies with dirt on them).

You believing something doesn't make it fact. I know we're discussing facts, not opinions. I think your interpretation of the facts is wrong.

I do not think humans today should rely on getting enough B-12 from eating veggies with dirt on them. Because of the changes in food manufacturing. You think it's ludicrous that humans got B-12 from less clean food but not that animals get their B-12 from eating ... less clean food. That's what I think is ludicrous.
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone think these products are vegan? Pop tarts aren't even vegetarian.

They are. The ones with frosting aren't, but the ones without are. Oreos definitely are. The rest probably are, but I haven't looked it up.

My bad! I was thinking of pop tarts in general :)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You think it's ludicrous that humans got B-12 from less clean food but not that animals get their B-12 from eating ... less clean food. That's what I think is ludicrous.

You might want to do a little research before you comment further. It's clear that you don't quite understand what we're talking about.

It's a fact that veganism is impossible without modern technology. Your beliefs otherwise are based on ignorance of B12 production and transfer.
  • be_havens
    be_havens Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It always surprises me how contentious conversations about veganism can be.

My 0.02:

It is possible to be a vegan and be unhealthy.
    It is possible to be an omnivore and be unhealthy.
    Humans are omnivores; this does not mean that all modern diets are justified.
    Veganism is no more impractical or unsustainable than modern meat-eating practices. Arguably, less so.

Feast, all ye minions, on the spoils of internet chattel.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I'm really happy for you that you've found an eating style that you can maintain.

However, almost everything in your OP is completely wrong and you shouldn't be posting it for others who may not know any better.

I'm not talking down to anyone, but there are a lot of people on here who are just starting out, are stuck in a rut, or are just desperate to lose. This type of misinformation does not help those people, it only compounds the confusion they may already be experiencing.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It always surprises me how contentious conversations about veganism can be.

My 0.02:

It is possible to be a vegan and be unhealthy.
    It is possible to be an omnivore and be unhealthy.
    Humans are omnivores; this does not mean that all modern diets are justified.
    Veganism is no more impractical or unsustainable than modern meat-eating practices. Arguably, less so.

Feast, all ye minions, on the spoils of internet chattel.

very well said!!!:flowerforyou:
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    You think it's ludicrous that humans got B-12 from less clean food but not that animals get their B-12 from eating ... less clean food. That's what I think is ludicrous.

You might want to do a little research before you comment further. It's clear that you don't quite understand what we're talking about.

Your beliefs otherwise are based on ignorance of B12 production and transfer.

All echoed right back to you.

Just because Johnnthan believes something doesn't make it fact.

You and I are disagreeing on a fundamental point which makes further debate on this useless-you state as fact that veganism is impossible without modern technology. I argue that if this is true (some studies show that algae can be a possible source, but IDC), it's because of modern technology.

Why is it so ludicrous for someone to eat dirt, btw? It sounds gross, but a lot of what we eat sounds gross if you really think about it.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Just because Johnnthan believes something doesn't make it fact.

You and I are disagreeing on a fundamental point which makes further debate on this useless-you state as fact that veganism is impossible without modern technology. I argue that if this is true (some studies show that algae can be a possible source, but IDC), it's because of modern technology.

Why is it so ludicrous for someone to eat dirt, btw? It sounds gross, but a lot of what we eat sounds gross if you really think about it.

No, but the fact that it's a fact makes it fact :laugh:

You can't get sufficient B12 from eating natural plant sources, and that's not a result of modern technology. It's not like wild corn or broccoli or whatever growing in South America in the year 1200 had B12 and it just doesn't anymore because of factory farming.

Your claims are factually incorrect, and that's that. It's impossible to be vegan without modern technology, and it has been since the dawn of humanity. Prehistoric man didn't get B12 from dirt.
  • be_havens
    be_havens Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Since we are discussing facts:

Veganism is not impossible without modern technology. No doubt it is made far more practical and accessible to broad population groups, but certainly not impossible.

Most true herbivores contain intestinal bacteria that aide in the production of B-12. That and they ingest some of their own feces which undergoes a kind of fermentation in their digestive tract. Both of which help them maintain vitamin levels.

So, obviously without these options humans are a little more limited. But, B-12 deficiency to the point of claiming a diet to be impossible would assume that there are no other sources for B-12 which would be incorrect.

If we want to make similar statements of half-truth, we could say that the worldwide incidence of heart disease is impossible without modern technology. Certainly historical populations were not able to consume such wanton amounts of animal products and saturated fats and this has been largely enabled by modern food production methods.

It also seems pretty obvious to point out that in the grand scheme of things there are a lot of things that deserve more anger and internet vitriol than veganism. Fast food, childhood obesity, factory farming, etc. Even as an imperfect response, veganism is ultimately a response to an imperfect system.

And not impossible without modern technology. But, we live in one of the most overfed modern civilizations ever. There's enough of every kind of food going around that we can afford to judge the dietary decisions of others. ;-)
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

No, but the fact that it's a fact makes it fact :laugh:

You can't get sufficient B12 from eating natural plant sources, and that's not a result of modern technology. It's not like wild corn or broccoli or whatever growing in South America in the year 1200 had B12 and it just doesn't anymore because of factory farming.

Your claims are factually incorrect, and that's that. It's impossible to be vegan without modern technology, and it has been since the dawn of humanity. Prehistoric man didn't get B12 from dirt.

You and I disagree that it's a fact, and on the other things you assert as facts, which means this discussion is useless.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Your analogy is flawed. A predatory animal, such as a wolf, feasts when a kill is made but then they won't eat for days afterwards. I assume you don't eat 4000cals then skip a days worth of eating do you, so that it evens out at 2000cals/day?

Oooops I should have read further.

To add to this train of thought...they also don't sit and watch tv...ride around in cars...

I am not exactly sure what I meant about the tv and the cars...other than...I don't think that comparing the eating habits of humans and animals make a lot of sense....different requirements...
    You can loose weight on a plant based low fat diet while being sedentary but in order to get lean and skinny you need to move your *kitten*.

I have no desire to be skinny...just a healthy weight and physically fit for someone my age.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Since we are discussing facts:

Veganism is not impossible without modern technology. No doubt it is made far more practical and accessible to broad population groups, but certainly not impossible.

Most true herbivores contain intestinal bacteria that aide in the production of B-12. That and they ingest some of their own feces which undergoes a kind of fermentation in their digestive tract. Both of which help them maintain vitamin levels.

So, obviously without these options humans are a little more limited. But, B-12 deficiency to the point of claiming a diet to be impossible would assume that there are no other sources for B-12 which would be incorrect.

If we want to make similar statements of half-truth, we could say that the worldwide incidence of heart disease is impossible without modern technology. Certainly historical populations were not able to consume such wanton amounts of animal products and saturated fats and this has been largely enabled by modern food production methods.

It also seems pretty obvious to point out that in the grand scheme of things there are a lot of things that deserve more anger and internet vitriol than veganism. Fast food, childhood obesity, factory farming, etc. Even as an imperfect response, veganism is ultimately a response to an imperfect system.

And not impossible without modern technology.

So what are the sources of sufficient dietary B12 that don't involve animal products or modern technology?

Please don't answer "dirt."
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

This. There is a reason vegans in the past had to hide themselves in the mountains of the east........they were slowly starving to death and too weak to fight.

Look up gut called Al Kavadlo on You Tube - a guy into progressive calisthenics, definitely not slowly starving to death, not weak by any strength of imagination and oh - he's vegan.
  • Woah, woah woah...
    Since when was it not okay to eat NATURAL(god given, if you will) foods? I think, eating low fat is very beneficial. You're much less likely to get heart disease.
    Im just going to state some facts..
    We only need 15% of protein to function at the MOST
    We can simply get that & more from plant based foods( Such as leafy greens, hemp seeds, chia seeds, & much more)
    B12 is found in SOIL. Meat eaters can have a B12 deficiency.
    Animals that are torture & you eat their dead flesh..DOES affect you. Why does it take 3 days for beef to run out of your system? Because it's not meant to be there & your body is processing it VERY slowly. Also, studies show that people who eat animals who died in a horrific way, tend to have more anxiety and depression issues.
    Now, im not saying you shouldn't eat meat(your life, yah know)...but maybe opt for organic & eat WAAAY less red meat.....
    Know where your food is coming from. PLEASE. Reasearch.
    Get your animal products from a farm, where you can see how animals are treated
    and eat less dairy, because it causes mucus(i know, before i went dairy free(due to allergy), i use to wake up every morning, coughing up gunk, having a runny or stuffed nose..but when i went dairy free..after a week, i didn't have any of that!)
    Here's some links...
    http://sacredsourcenutrition.com/how-much-protein-do-we-actually-need/
    http://www.happycow.net/health-vitamins-B12.html
    http://www.mandyparker.com/Digestive System And Poo.htm