I like sugar

Options

Replies

• votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I eat something sugary every day. I feel like the body needs a little bit or else you'll get low blood sugar and wonk out. :flowerforyou:

Me too :) I have to end each meal with something sweet; or eat at least one thing sweet daily.
    If not, I'll go Hulk Smash and maybe finish a full pint of ice cream on the last day of the week :)
  • CycleCarolina
    CycleCarolina Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the reason I exercise, and it creates a 1:1 ratio. The more exercise I manage, the more sugar I can eat!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,952 Member
    Options

Ok I have to respond to this, before I started over a year ago, I was in the doctor's office every 2 weeks for heart, lung, and my blood work was showing I was definitely in danger of diabetes. 1 year later, 93 lbs later lost while eating daily ice cream, cookies, cupcakes, brownies, etc. I just had all my blood work re done and heart issues have improved, lung issues are improving, and my blood work was perfect. To the point my doctor joked that I must have sent someone else in for it.

So, you continue with your sugar is horrible and we're all going to die from the toxins while I enjoy myself and continue to improve my health.

In order to lose 93lb (big congrats by the way!) you would have no doubt restricted your calories. The easiest way to restrict calories is to reduce the amount of calorie dense food you ate, such as sugar and fats. I'm not surprised your blood work has improved. However there is no link between blood cholesterol and heart disease. The link is actually whether you are a Pattern B LDL type person.
    True, but weight loss and exercise does influence cholesterol and can reduce pattern B's in the blood. Not to the extend of course if one was to reduce the foods that also contribute.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'd be worried about is my blood sugar levels and diabetes if I were you
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    some people can eat sugar and not have an adverse effect, some people can't. What gets my goat is when people think that because something works for them it must work for other people - complete BS.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8prfmsKnQ1rx196ao1_500_zps691d1ab8.gif
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

What if someone has excellent blood work panels, is considered very low risk for heart disease by their doctor, has normal blood pressure, has glucose numbers in the normal range, exercises regularly, has a normal bmi/weight, has no other risk factors (non-smoker etc), has a lower bf% and has no health problems. Are you still saying the in face of all the signs that point to someone being perfectly healthy, while still eating sugar, they're not in fact healthy?

Does such a person exist? How much added sugar do they eat and do their blood work panels include a test called polyacrylamide gradient gel electrophoresis?

Yes, I exist. I'm healthy. 48 yo, 180 lbs, 6', 17% bf! I exercise 6 to 7 days a week, mostly heavy lifting with a little cardio, and I eat whatever I want within about a 2600 calorie range right now, coming off about 3000. My macros are set for 40/30/30, although my primary concern is about 180g of protein, the rest falls into place if I do that. That's it. No health issues at all. Last check up, my doctor told me I was like a healthy 20-year-old, although, I think he was just being nice. My chiropractor told me a have a 25 year-old spine, meaning, it's healthy and isn't stiff like someone my age, typically. I'm also constantly told I look younger than my age. People where I work think I'm in my 30's. All this to say, yes, I'm in great health, great shape, and I consume sugar. OMG!

I thought the same thing about my self. 36, female, smal, petite, excersie 4 - 6 days a week, dont smoke. Always told I look ten years younger. No medical isues, glowing physical check ups. Look ten years younger. Then I had a carotid body tumor removed on 11/1/13 and then on 11/22/13 I had a ruptured brain anuerism. I was given 50/50 to survive.

I made it through relatively unscathed and I have my health to thank for that.

My point is thinking you are healthy is great. You can be healthy. But thinking you are immune to health risks is bogus. I was in the prime of my life and went down like a fly.

I chose not eat sugar and junk food. I know I probably can in moderation but I only have one life to live and I want to set a good example for my kids and others. Plus for a petite person like myself I cant consume those types of calories with out consequences. Two bites of ice cream for me could have the same caloric content that I would get if I made myself a large filling salad. Plus the added vitamins, nutrients, and fiber I get out of a healthy meal/snack far out weighs the temptation of a twinky or pint of ice cream.

Just my HMO.

Ok, so IYO, sugar caused a tumor?

WTF?

I didn't say I was immune to disease or dying someday. I said I'm currently healthy. If I get a tumor, or cancer, or lukemia, or have a stroke, I'll deal with it. Jesus Christ. WTF does any of that have to do with eating sweets?

LOL At least you'll know where to catch the next bus to "Sugar is Evil-town" if something does happen. Sugar threads never end well. :flowerforyou:
  • paganstar71
    paganstar71 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    In order to lose 93lb (big congrats by the way!) you would have no doubt restricted your calories. The easiest way to restrict calories is to reduce the amount of calorie dense food you ate, such as sugar and fats. I'm not surprised your blood work has improved. However there is no link between blood cholesterol and heart disease. The link is actually whether you are a Pattern B LDL type person.
    True, but weight loss and exercise does influence cholesterol and can reduce pattern B's in the blood. Not to the extend of course if one was to reduce the foods that also contribute.

Totally agree, I don't see the point however in exercising just to enable sugar eating. Exercise is great in strengthening muscles and bones, great for lifting your mood, improving blood circulation and reducing visceral fat. It's a bit daft to exercise simply to justify a sweet tooth, though. This thread is mostly a huge denial and justification exercise, nobody has actually said that sugar is good for them because we all know the truth!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Avoiding sugar is not just a weight loss aim, that's only a small part of it.

Eating sugar (sucrose/fructose) increases visceral fat, increases blood triglycerides, makes insulin less efficient increasing the risk of diabetes and heart disease. It also changes our cholesterol transportation system (LDL) from safe pattern A to risky pattern B, again putting you at risk from heart disease. High sugar intake is also linked to pancreatic cancer, kidney disease and high blood pressure.

The only sugar (fructose) you should eat is in whole fruit and vegetables.

You can't tell me what to do!

southpark-whatever-I-want1.png
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Totally agree, I don't see the point however in exercising just to enable sugar eating. Exercise is great in strengthening muscles and bones, great for lifting your mood, improving blood circulation and reducing visceral fat. It's a bit daft to exercise simply to justify a sweet tooth, though. This thread is mostly a huge denial and justification exercise, nobody has actually said that sugar is good for them because we all know the truth!

There is absolutely a ton of denial and justification going on in this thread.

But I don't think you're aware of where it's coming from
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    :yawn: So.Incredibly.Tiresome. The sugar evangelists and the deniers both.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    :yawn: So.Incredibly.Tiresome. The sugar evangelists and the deniers both.

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion. :flowerforyou:
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You are welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    What's going on in here? Am I missing the sugar party? Here, I brought an offering.

10xreaf.jpg

For every time someone mentions the word "addiction" or "evil" I'll add a sprinkle.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Ok I have to respond to this, before I started over a year ago, I was in the doctor's office every 2 weeks for heart, lung, and my blood work was showing I was definitely in danger of diabetes. 1 year later, 93 lbs later lost while eating daily ice cream, cookies, cupcakes, brownies, etc. I just had all my blood work re done and heart issues have improved, lung issues are improving, and my blood work was perfect. To the point my doctor joked that I must have sent someone else in for it.

So, you continue with your sugar is horrible and we're all going to die from the toxins while I enjoy myself and continue to improve my health.

Are you a medical professional? You sure are throwing alot of jargon out there I don't even understand. However, I agree with some of the points you are trying to make. But I try to use real cane sugar in anything I eat. I don't like sugar substitutes as they are far worse off than the natural stuff itself. I don't count sugar grahams in anything I eat. I just eat!

All this talk makes me want to eat sponge candy.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Did I just grahams instead of grams? Sugar brain!
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Are you a medical professional? You sure are throwing alot of jargon out there I don't even understand. However, I agree with some of the points you are trying to make. But I try to use real cane sugar in anything I eat. I don't like sugar substitutes as they are far worse off than the natural stuff itself. I don't count sugar grahams in anything I eat. I just eat!

All this talk makes me want to eat sponge candy.

Sugar substitutes are FAR worse??? ????????????????????????????????
  • paganstar71
    paganstar71 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    x21dlx.jpg

Enjoy :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

What if someone has excellent blood work panels, is considered very low risk for heart disease by their doctor, has normal blood pressure, has glucose numbers in the normal range, exercises regularly, has a normal bmi/weight, has no other risk factors (non-smoker etc), has a lower bf% and has no health problems. Are you still saying the in face of all the signs that point to someone being perfectly healthy, while still eating sugar, they're not in fact healthy?

Does such a person exist? How much added sugar do they eat and do their blood work panels include a test called polyacrylamide gradient gel electrophoresis?
    I exist.

divepike1_zps39a3586b.gif

Enjoy your crappy boring "no added sugar" diet. I'll continue to enjoy my sugars and the fun they fuel in good health.