I like sugar

Options

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Alcohol reduces the functioning of the part of the brain which normally makes decisions in adults, and causes the person to be more impulsive.

Sugar does not.

They aren't even in the same ballpark.

Serious alcoholics will drink, then purge to allow more drinking!

Are you freaking joking me?

There are serious alcoholics non serious alcoholics?

Lady..... you should probably stop posting now.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I too am sorry about your family history of diabetes, but I hardly think this site, and specifically this thread, is the place to get any advice about whether or not you should or shouldn't eat sugar. But I think you already figured that out. Best. :flowerforyou:

And really, as if this wasn't ridiculous enough we have to continue with the alcholic and sugar crap? FACE PALM
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Alcohol reduces the functioning of the part of the brain which normally makes decisions in adults, and causes the person to be more impulsive.

Sugar does not.

Impulsiveness is only one outcome of alcohol. Not every alcoholic is impulsive either. Ever eaten a bar of chocolate on impulse? Plenty of people eat sweets and instantly regret it and feel guilty. Bulimia, anyone? Serious alcoholics will drink, then purge to allow more drinking!

Sugar and alcohol damage can cause liver damage - have you heard of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23390127
    Sugar and alcohol trigger our reward system making the habit difficult to break http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/
    The removal of one addiction can lead to sourcing replacements. Alcohol -> Sugar or Heroin -> Sugar http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1360-0443.1989.tb00566.x/abstract?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false
    Link between genetics - alcoholism and sugar craving http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02791072.2010.10400687

The purging of bulimics is not related to sweets or a desire for more sweets and thus is not an equal comparison to the purging of alcoholics for the sake of more alcohol.

Such inflammatory statements do nothing but make you seem like you have a shakey grasp on logical connections and make people seriously doubt everything you have to say.

Thank you for stating what I typed and deleted far more eloquently than I would have. I would find myself with a strike.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Sugar does not.

Impulsiveness is only one outcome of alcohol. Not every alcoholic is impulsive either. Ever eaten a bar of chocolate on impulse? Plenty of people eat sweets and instantly regret it and feel guilty. Bulimia, anyone? Serious alcoholics will drink, then purge to allow more drinking!

Before I learned moderation, I also ate a chicken leg, steak, salads, potatoes, and many other things impulsively.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure the OP is gonna die
    Pretty sure we are all gonna die, lol.
  • paganstar71
    paganstar71 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

There are high functioning alcoholics and severe alcoholics, a whole spectrum of dysfunction. I am referring to severe alcoholism when I speak of 'serious'.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Sugar does not.

I feel guilt over nothing I eat anymore, it's food and I've developed a healthy relationship with it now. But I'm curious since you are so anti sugar and I'm a glutton for punishment, can you open your diary I would love to see your perfect diary?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure we are all gonna die, lol.

That's kind of the point.
  • paganstar71
    Options

The purging of bulimics is not related to sweets or a desire for more sweets and thus is not an equal comparison to the purging of alcoholics for the sake of more alcohol.

Such inflammatory statements do nothing but make you seem like you have a shakey grasp on logical connections and make people seriously doubt everything you have to say. Grasping for the most alarming straw you can reach doesn't strengthen your argument.

Er, yes it is comparable! Bulimics will purge to maintain future binging, alcoholics may purge to maintain future drinking. There is even a link between alcoholism, binge drinking and eating disorders. If you wish to argue and disparage my points at least find some basis for your argument. A simple google search shows plenty of evidence to link these: http://www.uncommonforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=70975
  • Achrya
    Options

Such inflammatory statements do nothing but make you seem like you have a shakey grasp on logical connections and make people seriously doubt everything you have to say. Grasping for the most alarming straw you can reach doesn't strengthen your argument.

Er, yes it is comparable! Bulimics will purge to maintain future binging, alcoholics may purge to maintain future drinking. There is even a link between alcoholism, binge drinking and eating disorders. If you wish to argue and disparage my points at least find some basis for your argument. A simple google search shows plenty of evidence to link these: http://www.uncommonforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=70975

Which has nothing to do with sugar or sweets and will occur no matter what the person who is purging has consumed. Thus Bulimia and sweets IS NOT an equal comparison to Alcoholics and alcohol
    Just stop. We're swiftly going past the point where we all laugh and poke at you for our own amusement/to see your reaction and to the point where, again, you're just saying inflammatory things and grasping for the most alarming branch.
  • paganstar71
    Options
    I feel guilt over nothing I eat anymore, it's food and I've developed a healthy relationship with it now. But I'm curious since you are so anti sugar and I'm a glutton for punishment, can you open your diary I would love to see your perfect diary?

Oh, so you can look at the sugar in a tin of soup, like what happened to GW1970?
  • paganstar71
    Options

Which has nothing to do with sugar or sweets and will occur no matter what the person who is purging has consumed. Thus Bulimia and sweets IS NOT an equal comparison to Alcoholics and alcohol
    Just stop. We're swiftly going past the point where we all laugh and poke at you for our own amusement/to see your reaction and to the point where, again, you're just saying inflammatory things and grasping for the most alarming branch.

You know what Bulimics chose to binge on? You also admit to trolling and mob rule. LOL.

I'm the one laughing :)
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Avoiding sugar is not just a weight loss aim, that's only a small part of it.

Eating sugar (sucrose/fructose) increases visceral fat, increases blood triglycerides, makes insulin less efficient increasing the risk of diabetes and heart disease. It also changes our cholesterol transportation system (LDL) from safe pattern A to risky pattern B, again putting you at risk from heart disease. High sugar intake is also linked to pancreatic cancer, kidney disease and high blood pressure.

The only sugar (fructose) you should eat is in whole fruit and vegetables.

While I read NEJM, and NIH studies I've struggled to find ANY reference to 'safe pattern A to risky pattern B' and at 'risk from heart disease" well good luck with those thoughts. Jerry, great post, sugar EVERY day in my coffee. Peace Brother.
  • Achrya
    Options

You know what Bulimics chose to binge on? You also admit to trolling and mob rule. LOL.

I know for a fact that different people choose to binge on different things and that purging is not related to the type of food they consume, which is what you seem to be missing, and that for you to imply otherwise speaks to a special kind of ignorance.

Some of us finding you amusing doesn't imply mob rule, it implies that you're amusing. You keep on reaching for the stars though sweetie, keep on reaching.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Likely.

I like sugar on salted butter toast.

/died.

Can I haz the suger all the dead guise leave behind?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

There are high functioning alcoholics and severe alcoholics, a whole spectrum of dysfunction. I am referring to severe alcoholism when I speak of 'serious'.

Is this thread about alcoholism? I thought it was about sugar. If only there were a way to keep threads on topic?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Oh, wait, so this thread is about Bulimia? Or purging? Or bingeing? Wait, what? I thought it was about SUGAR?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Sugar does not.

Sugar and alcohol damage can cause liver damage - have you heard of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23390127
    Sugar and alcohol trigger our reward system making the habit difficult to break http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/
    The removal of one addiction can lead to sourcing replacements. Alcohol -> Sugar or Heroin -> Sugar http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1360-0443.1989.tb00566.x/abstract?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false
    Link between genetics - alcoholism and sugar craving http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02791072.2010.10400687
    Completely missed the point. Let's try again:

Alcohol disrupts the mechanisms that control decision making in adults.

Sugar does not.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Being the one laughing in a thread that is not about what you are talking about pretty much means you have achieved the status trolls seek. Was that your intent?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Please allow me to restate the Thread title for any confused posters in here...

"TOPIC: I like sugar"