Ketogenic Diet

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I do cyclical ketogenic dieting. Pretty much have a massive carb refeed "day" weekly. Been on it for 3 months now and enjoy it a lot more than the 40/40/20 diet I was on originally. I visit the gym quite frequently.

Got down to 5.7% bf with increased strength and some mass. Wasnt hard to establish a routine for the diet. I tried switching back to the 40/40/20 to maintain but I felt like crap and switched back. No health issues what so ever.

I guess it comes down to: Do what ever diet is best for you.
  • audsart
    audsart Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm in my second week of induction and am really enjoying the diet. I haven't lost much weight but my ketostix are mid-purple so I must be burning fat right??? I cycle to and from work everyday, it's the only exercise I do. So far I've had moments where I've felt a bit light headed and my urine stinks - sorry :0. Has anyone got some hints and tips for me to try and speed up the weight loss? I want this diet to work, I'd like to be on it for life really.

I've read the posts and learned a lot. I've looked at lots of other websites too. But I must be doing something wrong????
  • kristenyoungman16
    Options
    I reached ketosis in two days.

He's already in a fasting taste by his diet regimen so it's certainly possible he was already in ketosis.
  • kristenyoungman16
    Options
    You don't taste ketones, and if you just started last night, you certainly aren't ketogenic. Sorry. Like I said, 5-7 days. And it will be hellacious as a beginner.

Took me 3 tries to get it right. I'd always fold and binge-eat some carbs, the cravings were so strong. There is a possibility you will do the same.

He's already in a fasting taste by his diet regimen so it's certainly possible he was already in ketosis.
  • kristenyoungman16
    Options
    You don't taste ketones, and if you just started last night, you certainly aren't ketogenic. Sorry. Like I said, 5-7 days. And it will be hellacious as a beginner.

Took me 3 tries to get it right. I'd always fold and binge-eat some carbs, the cravings were so strong. There is a possibility you will do the same.

Oh and you can almost certainly taste when your in ketosis..it's a horrible taste
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Is this the one where you're supposed to pee out calories?
  • kristenyoungman16
    Options
    This is quite interesting and informative "The Diet Wars (John McDougall, MD) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srkd-irmrC0

love McDougall :)
  • Take a look at my blog: http://fortheloveoflipids.blogspot.com.au/

I experimented a lot with diet and increasing fats, before I finally cracked the ketogenic thing a few months ago. It is awesome! I never want to go back. You need to do the calculations properly to begin with. Once you are keto-adapted you can be more flexible and laissez-faire. There is link to a keto-calculator on my blog. The book by Volek and Phinney called The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate performance is also really helpful. You can get it as a electronic book for cheap.

I have a lot of recipe ideas on my blog, so feel free to let me know if you want any help thinking through any issue getting what you want from the diet. I find there is usually a tasty solution when fats are abundant!
  • suprzonic
    suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm in my second week of induction and am really enjoying the diet. I haven't lost much weight but my ketostix are mid-purple so I must be burning fat right??? I cycle to and from work everyday, it's the only exercise I do. So far I've had moments where I've felt a bit light headed and my urine stinks - sorry :0. Has anyone got some hints and tips for me to try and speed up the weight loss? I want this diet to work, I'd like to be on it for life really.

I've read the posts and learned a lot. I've looked at lots of other websites too. But I must be doing something wrong????

Hi - I'm by no means an expert. I only started eating ketogenic last thursday. But from what I've read and folk i've spoken to - stop exercising. and put the ketostix away. Exercise and keto have a different relationship to traditional diet/exercise. You have to be very moderate (apparently)

I've read that if your ketostix are purple, it means you are dehydrated - and perhaps not expelling the "right" ketones (there are a few). Drink lots of water. As much as you can handle. Ketostix only measure one of a few ketones and may not be giving you the result you think they are. They are engineered for ppl with diabetes i think? I got ketostix, and they never change colour for me, but I'm losing about a pound a day and not exercising at all (i'm probably in an early honeymoon period though) and have usual keto symptoms.

I got quite a bit of info from http://josepharcita.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/guide-to-ketosis.html#33JJ - who says:

"3J. Aerobic Exercise ↑

The body burns primarily glycogen when the heart rate is above 70% of its max. Therefore, aerobic exercises such as HIIT are good for burning liver-glycogen stores during induction, but such high-intensity exercise is not recommended once under ketosis as once muscle-glycogen stores are depleted, the body will begin catabolizing mainly muscle-mass under any high-intensity activity.

The ideal aerobic exercises to perform when under ketosis are MISS (medium intensity steady state) and LISS (low intensity steady state).

HIIT = Periods of high-intensity activity followed by an abrupt switch to low-intensity activity.

MISS = Maintained medium-intensity activity (lightly jogging).

LISS = Maintained low-intensity activity (walking)."

I've started out by eating 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs (coz I'm just starting out - I'll experiment with the mix after a month).

My diary is public if you want to check it out. Best of luck!
  • suprzonic
    suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    <20 eggs aday, cheese brocoli, tuna, coconut oil, peanut butter.

in ketosis since 11/11/11, went from 215lb to 176 in 3 months, now im hovering around 185 as my strenght is at the best

and people call ME orthorexic? :tongue:

so i know dietary cholesterol doesn't raise serum cholesterol significantly, but 20 eggs a day? i'd be wary of getting 4,000 mg of cholesterol daily. damn

From http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/we-have-got-cholesterol-completely-wrong/

“Cholesterol in food has no impact on cholesterol in the blood and we’ve known that all along.”

AND (same article - I won't post the whole thing in ...)

"iii) There is no such thing as good cholesterol and bad cholesterol. Cholesterol is cholesterol. The chemical formula for cholesterol is C27H46O. There is no good version or bad version of this formula.HDL is not even cholesterol, let alone good. LDL is not even cholesterol, let alone bad. HDL stands for High Density Lipoprotein. LDL stands for Low Density Lipoprotein. (There are three other lipoproteins, by the way, chylomicrons, VLDL and IDL)."
  • dm0190
    Options
    I've recently stumbled up the Ketogenic Diet, and I kinda understand the science behind it. Anyone Currently doing this diet or have done it in the past that can shed some light? Please add me as a friend, so that I can look at your diaries. Thanks!

after coming off the diet his seizures came back after a some years. We requested to do this diet again and we were denied do to the fact it is DANGEROUS FOR ADULTS to be on this diet.

Please, less of the drama. It's dangerous for adults to go outside, they *might* get hit by a car. Sweden has just become the first country to change their nutritional guidelines to LCHF eating. It's arguable sitting and eating sugar all day in the form of carbs is 'dangerous'. And to be quite honest, most doctors are seriously uneducated when it comes to keto and lchf diets- think of all the drama surrounding paleo eating, where it isn't that difficult to dip into nutritional ketosis.
    The link between cholesterol and heart disease? Keys' famous study wouldn't have even made it past the first barrier these days, he looked at over 20 countries and concluded that cholesterol was bad by manipulating the results and only using 6 countries that had perfect correlation. Futhermore, correlation does not equal causation.
    I'm not just posting this to be argumentative, it's just the way you write makes you come off as uneducated, and your use of caps lock to emphasise points is just terrible.
  • babiedragon
    Options
    Anyone interested in ketogenic, you are welcome to friend me. If you're an expert, you can help me tweak my food diary. Thanks!
  • asitha2
    Options
    read about your story and would love to hear about your ongoing progress with the keto diet. Did your diabetes reverse to an extent?

Wish you all the best with your plans to get back into shape!
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Found a link and lost it....anyone know what it is? It did a general calculation that would syn with goals info in MFP. I didn't do it automatically because I had to see what my settings were set to from my nutritionist as opposed to MFP recommended.

If anyone knows, please send me the info...kangaroo33.

Thanks.
  • shellyann73
    shellyann73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am new to the Ketogenic diet.... just reading up on it. how do you add people so i can see in their diary?
  • athenasorion
    Options
    I have been on the low carb ketogenic diet for 3 weeks now. I run 6.2 miles 3x/week and do weight lifting 2x/week and swim several laps once a week. So far I have lost 9 lbs in 3 weeks. Before, despite good nutrition and exercise, I do not see any weight loss. With this diet, I have improved with my stamina, endurance and strength, plus lost some weight! However, this week is recovery week where I do yoga, core stability, etc. (no running, no weight lifting) (p90x recovery week). Did I make a mistake of carb loading this weekend? Also, do I still need to take mct oil prior to yogas/stretches? Or do I skip that?