my hubby paying me to lose weight

Options

Replies

• blindcode
    Options
    Am I really the only one who finds this creepy?

:drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Actually I find this offensive. My boyfriend would in real trouble if he even tried to offer something like that.

He would be in trouble? Like a time out? A spanking? :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That isn't what I got out of it at all. I really think you are putting your own spin on this. The op is happy and excited about this and we don't even know the whole story. People do things differently. The close mindedness on this thread is just mind blowing. I would suggest some people here really need to venture out of their own little world and experince life in a different way.

You're not putting your own spin on it? You see it one way (and others agree) and others see it a different way. You can't KNOW you're right and we can't KNOW you're wrong.

We all reacted to the OP based on our own experience and how we read it. I could turn your own advice here right back at you and it would apply.

While I agree with this in terms of our own spins, I think it's generally better to give people the benefit of the doubt. That's my opinion though, and it is based on my annoyance at those who are quick to judge others. There is definitely a line though where others should become involved. I just don't think we are there in this example.
    Of course not. We don't know enough to do that. But people are going to form opinions based on what's been said. It's the way of the Internets. :smile:
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I won't lie, to me that would feel kind of weird -- like I was a kid and my husband was my dad. Besides, if you're married, isn't it your money too?

But hey, if it works for you it works for you. Good luck.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I did it as a challenge to myself. There was something I really wanted that I didn't need but would enjoy. I gave myself the goal that if I made the target weight AND kept it there for 3+ months then I could buy it!! Lost the weight, been keeping it off, have my new toy!

Whatever works for you keep it up!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say I don't find this creepy but then my husband and I don't share money (what? No joint funds/accounts? Scandalous!) I give him money for my part of the bills and we occasionally split the bill when we go out but beyond that his money is his and mine is mine. So if he gave me money for losing weight well...extra bonus cash is always nice.

That's just my household though.

How dare you everyone's household must be run the exact same, to deviate from this will probably bring about the apocalypse.

Judging by some of the hostility this seems to invoking the world could only benefit from a little smiting.

Whatever though. I'm already dropping hints to the husband that I could go for this kind of arrangement. This last ten pounds has been awful but if someone sweetened the deal with some cash I might be more inclined to eat less cookies.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    That would for sure get me to lose some weight!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    I did it as a challenge to myself. There was something I really wanted that I didn't need but would enjoy. I gave myself the goal that if I made the target weight AND kept it there for 3+ months then I could buy it!! Lost the weight, been keeping it off, have my new toy!

Whatever works for you keep it up!

sounds like you are just trying to control yourself, after all isnt your money your money too?

wait...what?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    My hubby gave me a great incentive to lose weight. He said he would pay me for every pound i lost. 1-10 pounds $10 a pound. 11-20 pounds $15 a pound..21-30 pounds $20 a pound. Anything over 30 pounds $25 a pound. I need to lose 42 pounds. Gained the majority of the weight when i quit smoking. I can do this !!!'

Sounds cool. Are you going to save all the money and when you reach your final goal buy something big or do something together?

I do wonder if your husband was actually buying you gifts for different goal weights whether this thread would have been completely different. So, 1-10 pounds he buys you a pedicure, 11-20 = trip to a high end spa, 22-30 = new designer shoes, 30+ he buys you diamond earrings.

Sounds quite sweet.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    That isn't what I got out of it at all. I really think you are putting your own spin on this. The op is happy and excited about this and we don't even know the whole story. People do things differently. The close mindedness on this thread is just mind blowing. I would suggest some people here really need to venture out of their own little world and experince life in a different way.

You're not putting your own spin on it? You see it one way (and others agree) and others see it a different way. You can't KNOW you're right and we can't KNOW you're wrong.

We all reacted to the OP based on our own experience and how we read it. I could turn your own advice here right back at you and it would apply.

While I agree with this in terms of our own spins, I think it's generally better to give people the benefit of the doubt. That's my opinion though, and it is based on my annoyance at those who are quick to judge others. There is definitely a line though where others should become involved. I just don't think we are there in this example.
    Of course not. We don't know enough to do that. But people are going to form opinions based on what's been said. It's the way of the Internets. :smile:

Very true. I always enjoy debating with you. It's proper and fair jousting.:wink:
  • Jerrypeoples
    Options
    Just wanted to say I don't find this creepy but then my husband and I don't share money (what? No joint funds/accounts? Scandalous!) I give him money for my part of the bills and we occasionally split the bill when we go out but beyond that his money is his and mine is mine. So if he gave me money for losing weight well...extra bonus cash is always nice.

How dare you everyone's household must be run the exact same, to deviate from this will probably bring about the apocalypse.

Judging by some of the hostility this seems to invoking the world could only benefit from a little smiting.

Whatever though. I'm already dropping hints to the husband that I could go for this kind of arrangement. This last ten pounds has been awful but if someone sweetened the deal with some cash I might be more inclined to eat less cookies.

ill chip in, every 1/2 lb you lose i may or may not buy you a box of oreos
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Ummmm, yeeeaaaah... No offense to the original poster of this topic... but I do find this creepy. And kind of oddly controlling. Like when Jimmy Stewart starts buying very specific clothes and demanding very specific hairstyles from that woman he's dating in Vertigo and it turns out to be the woman he used to love but thought had died. That kind of creepy.

That being said, I pay my wife to wear a postman outfit to bed and those are just the boring nights...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Very true. I always enjoy debating with you. It's proper and fair jousting.:wink:

:drinker:
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options

I also find it kind of creepy. I'm in a weight loss challenge where I could win some great $$, but that's between friends who are all trying to lose weight. I think if my husband or significant other wanted to pay me to lose weight I'd be a little weirded out.

again, he didnt say hey fatty, heres some money if you lose weight... she is doing this and as added incentive he is sweetening the pot

I kind of feel like if someone is really willing to pay you to lose weight, that's essentially what they are saying. But maybe I'm being overly sensitive? I just know I'd be offended and think it's a weird situation where he would be rewarding me for something I should already be doing for myself. I agree with the kid/husband comment - if my husband is paying me to lose weight, should he pay me to clean my room, too?

OP is clearly happy about the arrangement, which is great if it's a motivation for her, and if it gets her where she wants to be in the long run then who am I to judge? For ME, it would be weird.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Options
    OP is clearly happy about the arrangement, which is great if it's a motivation for her, and if it gets her where she wants to be in the long run then who am I to judge? For ME, it would be weird.

and you are allowed to think it would be weird. im ok with people thinking it would be weird for them. but as others and myself have stated there is no black and white way for motivation. what works for one person may not work for another. and thats ok.

the big problem i have is everyone assuming her husband is some kind of controlling *kitten* when there has been nothing said by the poster to suggest this is even remotely the case. too many people have been watching criminal minds and think they can diagnose a relationship based soley on some text.
  • veggiemama81
    veggiemama81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Not at all. I'm all about support but if my SO said he was going to pay me to lose weight I would actually be offended.

I'm not saying your motive is money. I believe you were already committed and that his heart is in the right place. It would just make me feel very small to think that my SO believed I had to be bought in order to do the right thing for my health and my family.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

ill chip in, every 1/2 lb you lose i may or may not buy you a box of oreos

...who told you I love Oreos? Do you know my husband? Is this sabotage? Because he knows I can't just eat some Oreos, I have to eat the whole damn pack. At once.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

^^ Agreed

I think the people posting that they are creeped out either haven't stopped to think, or they have been in a bad relationship, or maybe are just rude people.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options