HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• 93nan
    93nan Posts: 130
    Bump
  • ironchick84
    ironchick84 Posts: 27 Member
    In for all the AWESOME!
  • nikamar
    nikamar Posts: 83 Member
    Halp! I'm drowning in bulkiness! :drinker:

dr3azV1.png
  • RacerG36
    RacerG36 Posts: 7 Member
    Great Job Ladies, I have been going through this post from the original one to now and have just started my journey to health. I have started incorporating weight lifting in small amounts until I get strong enough to lift heavier. I did have a question in regards to the women who don't do cardio, is it okay to not do cardio and just weight lift? What are the pros and cons in implementing cardio with a strength training program?
  • vidoardes
    vidoardes Posts: 70 Member
    Not seen a pic on this thread that doesn't look awesome. Seriously loving the hard work you ladies put in! I just sit and read all three threads (probably should have been working) and everyone from the 20 something's to the 60 something's look effing gorgeous.

Now how to subtly point my wife to this thread... :D
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Halp! I'm drowning in bulkiness! :drinker:

dr3azV1.png

I have a total girl crush on your quads.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Great Job Ladies, I have been going through this post from the original one to now and have just started my journey to health. I have started incorporating weight lifting in small amounts until I get strong enough to lift heavier. I did have a question in regards to the women who don't do cardio, is it okay to not do cardio and just weight lift? What are the pros and cons in implementing cardio with a strength training program?

Cardio is good for your heart. I always did a warm up on the treadie of 5-10 minutes before hitting the weights.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Not seen a pic on this thread that doesn't look awesome. Seriously loving the hard work you ladies put in! I just sit and read all three threads (probably should have been working) and everyone from the 20 something's to the 60 something's look effing gorgeous.

Now how to subtly point my wife to this thread... :D

Leave it open on your computer...that's what I would do...you know women, we can't help ourselves if we think our husbands are looking at hot women...we have to see what's up...;)
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    I would argue with that last post, but that would be like beating a dead horse. All I will say is that I am 5'3". I lift, I do cardio, and I eat 1,700-2,000 cal's a day to lose weight. I have a bodymedia, so I know exactly what I burn every day. My intake depends on my activity level. ;) Peace. I'm outtie.

....oh, also, sometimes I eat more than 2,000. :D

5'3, losing on 1850. And my goal is 135-130.

Madness, amirite?

I am 5'2". I weigh 130-132 and I am in better shape and look better than I did when I weighed 110lbs. Girls, my thighs DO NOT JIGGLE. I remember when I weighed less feeling like my thighs were huge and pointless. I actually thought what is the point of all this extra flab??! But then you know what? I started doing squats, and doing deadlifts. and I started feeling my quads and my hamstrings and my glutes. and now I can SEE them. and I LOVE my thighs. That said I am working to lower my bf% a little bit, but I could do that eating 1500 calories. MFP is notorious for lowballing calories. If you keep on a 1200 calorie diet long term you WILL slow your own metabolism down and create health issues for yourself. My goals aren't really scale oriented for the most part anyways so I don't even check my weight that often. You can see my arms in my profile pic << but I don't have great progress pics of the rest of me right now, may post some later. Stats tho:

Squat 165
    Deadlift 125
    OHP / clean and press 75
    Bench press 90

Been lifting for about 10 months.

Edited to add a couple pics.
    001AAE3D-F99A-4450-B118-91B55DA4B1E6_zps5uzrlcjo.jpg

7579A821-24FE-4902-A32C-67D251BD831E_zpsu14s2t7c.jpg
    ^Squat butt.^_^
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    I LOVE this thread! BUMP
  • nikamar
    nikamar Posts: 83 Member
    Bump! This topic needs more awesome lifting ladies :bigsmile:
  • ktface17
    ktface17 Posts: 24 Member
    Seeing these amazing results makes me want to start lifting! Awesome...
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Seeing these amazing results makes me want to start lifting! Awesome...

Do it nao.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    I just want to hug all your muscles. ♡ Eeep
  • MountainTopMom
    MountainTopMom Posts: 65 Member
    Are there other things that one can do that don't require going to a gym? I'm on a budget and going to a gym is not an option for me right now. Right now I'm only doing cardio because it's free :laugh:

Certainly! Type calisthenics in Google. It's great for start but for awesome results you really need heavy weights. Ask around if someone could lend you a pair of dumbbells? Most of home gym's equipment serves mostly to catch cobwebs and dust...

Thanks for the info. Just stumbled upon this thread and was wondering how to go about the absolute baby-beginner steps. I absolutely love all you "bulky" ladies & your awesome pics! You have very much inspired me. I'm just starting my journey, but thinking maybe weights would be an awesome addition! Keep up the great work - you are very motivating!
  • ikylilgrl
    ikylilgrl Posts: 9 Member
    I've got no pics to share yet, but i discovered this thread back in September, and it got me interested in lifting. I did a ton of research and got myself a trainer to just show me around the free weight area of my gym (and honestly, to get me feeling less intimidated by all the gym bros there)

I started lifting in mid-October and i LOVE LOVE LOVE it. First ever type of exercise that I REALLY enjoy doing, I never have to talk myself into a workout. i'm really bummed if I have to miss one. I've not lost tons of poundage yet (of course i've only recently cleaned up my eating) But my body has changed tremendously. My husband is shocked and my 8 year old daughter has even commented on how much further her arms wrap around me when she hugs me.

In the researching process I also stumbled upon a website called Fitocracy, it's freaking amazing. The most supportive and kind online community i've ever been a part of. It's a social site, but completely centered around fitness, and REALLY focused on strength training, it's been a great motivator as well as a HUGE educational tool for me. (LOTS of female lifters on there that know there stuff)

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to the OP for starting this thread, because it's completely changed my fitness journey.

I'm recovering from surgery right now so i'm not currently lifting (though my recovery has been WAY faster than anticipated, and I fully credit all the gym time I put in prior) I can't wait to get back to the gym!!!

Bench 125 1RM
    BB Squat 135 5RM
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Everytime I drop by this thread, "just to take a peek" I slide up to it, peek around, then get all happy and dive into several pages.

Kinda like this:

daily-wtf-031-02062014.gif
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    I finally have a pic for this thread...YAH and it needs a bump anyway. Keep in mind still a work in progress.

cc314cf6-b3d3-4375-b707-c46598bf8009_zpse948495c.jpg

1st Pic June 17th, 2nd pic 1 round of 30DS, 2nd pic 10 weeks into heavy lifting, last pic 21 weeks in...

This is my fav tho, 1st pic May 2013....2nd Pic Jan 22 2014, after 21 weeks of lifting include doing a set of 5x5 squats at 155lbs the day this pic was taken.

b4ea3a0b-3ab6-4365-a198-c82b61b9a308_zps992f416c.jpg

But of course my profile pic top left is me "bulky" at 205, low left is me at 175...LBD is me at 165...lifting and a size 9....10 weeks after that pic I am a size 8 and 3lbs down
    337cf4fe-0b1f-4ec4-a6ec-d2e551f7d567_zpse8037836.jpg
    Look at that *kitten*! Wooohooo!
  • kiiabby
    kiiabby Posts: 3 Member
    You ladies are HOT! So inspiring... I'm really enjoying weights and I have a feeling my post baby body is going to look better than my pre baby body if I can follow your leads!

<3
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    You have no idea how badly I needed to see this thread. I fell off the lifting wagon (laziness - didn't wanna get up at 5am) and after seeing all these pages of amazing I'm wanting to dive right back in.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!