P90X (NOVEMBER 1) - BRING IT

Options

Replies

• mjmartin
    Options
    Great job Kathy! That's awesome!~

So I'm on to Day 4- Yoga today.... I did ok with Plyo on Day 2. Much better than I anticipated to be honest! ha! ha! I had done Plyo a year ago and near killed myself! (And totally turned myself off of the P90X program.) This time I paced myself and worked hard but didn't over push myself so I liked it alot better. I had a whey protein shake after to help with the muscle recovery and felt great yesterday. I can't believe tho how much my shoulders/back & peck muscles are still tender from my Day 1 workout... is this normal? I'm thinking it's just because it's muscles I've never worked before......
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Legs and Back done! I am really liking this one too actually

Today for ARX I did 40 mason twists no legs had to drop my 1 leg from 30-40

I did 12 each side V oblique raises too rest were side plank oblique raises.

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS PROGRAM! Can't believe I already have 19 days down!
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bambi - yes the muscle soreness is common - especially during the first week or two. I think that is why I disliked Yoga so much the first couple of weeks.... Don't worry it gets better. It seems like week 3 is the magical week where it all comes together and there is significant improvement -- especially in Yoga and Kenpo.

Karen: Great job! I am sooooo with you you the Xlovin' So much so I might change my name to that ... Sara Xlovin' .... I could even get a tat that says that....:bigsmile:
  • SaraTN
    Options
    Just finished Yoga X instead of X Stretch.... it gets better every time!
  • dmmihelcic
    dmmihelcic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You must just love pain....
  • dmmihelcic
    dmmihelcic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You must just love pain....
    In all seriousness, I really like X Stretch. It is very difficult to get through but I feel great as soon as I pop the DVD out.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, gosh I feel like I'm really behind on the thread!

I'm still not loving yoga either. I was heartbroken when I saw it was on the schedule twice during the recovery week. I might sub in an extra kenpo. I LOVE that workout! I think the weighted gloves are GREAT idea. I might have to look into that.

@Karen-- Insanity would TOTALLY help you with your running. It's all cardio intervals and plyo, it's the perfect workout to build your endurance and make you faster. I only did Insanity for three weeks before I gave myself tendonitis, and I saw a huge improvement in my stamina. It was pretty astonishing. It is really hard and really fun! I'll be doing a round when we are done with this. I was actually thinking of adding it in to P90X this coming week for extra cardio burn, then I realized it's recovery week and I should maybe take it a little easy. I'm really missing it even though I am loving this so much.

Does anybody else feel like this is flying by?
  • kaffro
    kaffro Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Great job Kathy! That's awesome!~

So I'm on to Day 4- Yoga today.... I did ok with Plyo on Day 2. Much better than I anticipated to be honest! ha! ha! I had done Plyo a year ago and near killed myself! (And totally turned myself off of the P90X program.) This time I paced myself and worked hard but didn't over push myself so I liked it alot better. I had a whey protein shake after to help with the muscle recovery and felt great yesterday. I can't believe tho how much my shoulders/back & peck muscles are still tender from my Day 1 workout... is this normal? I'm thinking it's just because it's muscles I've never worked before......

Thanks Manda! :)

My muscles were sore from the first workout a good 2 days later.
  • AmberBelandria
    AmberBelandria Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started P90X on the 15th of this Month. I like the way I feel so far. I have not taken Measurments as of Yet but will do that tonight probably. I did Cardio X tonight for an extra day of Cardio. I burned 406 Calories and 52 grams of Fat. Not to good with Pylo I have a bad right knee so the jumps kill me.
  • SaraTN
    Options
    Welcome to the group and thank you for the friend request. We have an amazing group of Xers here. I am sure you will find support and answers to any questions you have.... and your thoughts, comments, etc. are welcomed.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. Just did X Stretch and now I feel all gooey. I don't know why I didn't do it last week on rest day. To be honest, I'm very flexible, so it's a little boring for me for some of it, but it's definitely nice to have an hour of breathing and movements that don't require a lot of strength.

I found out I'll be able to use my dad's laptop while in Albuquerque, so I won't need to try to put the workouts on my phone. Although my dad seems to think I'll be able to use headphones while exercising... :laugh: I'm sure it'll be nice to have some yoga and good cardio to offset what is likely to be a pretty emotional trip.

Happy day 21 :) Yes, it totally feels like it's flying by. Hope I'm still thinking that in a month!
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    hard to type with A & D ointment on my right wrist ... will comment on all y'all tomorrow from work!
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    P90X Lean Day 22 Yoga X completed
  • kaffro
    Options
    YAY! P90X Classic - Day 8, complete :) Go me!

Keep up the great work everyone!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I remember doing some yoga DVD years ago and the instructor on there said it was best to practice on an empty stomach. Do any of you know if this is true or if it would apply to the type of yoga we are doing here with P90X? She said empty stomach, like, first thing in the morning empty. It was not all as demanding or long as Yoga X, I don't know if that makes a difference in the answer. I don't really know much about yoga in general and I thought some of you may know.
  • kaffro
    Options
    Hey guys, I remember doing some yoga DVD years ago and the instructor on there said it was best to practice on an empty stomach. Do any of you know if this is true or if it would apply to the type of yoga we are doing here with P90X? She said empty stomach, like, first thing in the morning empty. It was not all as demanding or long as Yoga X, I don't know if that makes a difference in the answer. I don't really know much about yoga in general and I thought some of you may know.

Good question, I'd like to know too. I usually have a banana first thing in the morning just to have something in my stomach before I work out.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I don't eat more than a banana before any of the P90X DVD's. Yoga X especially.
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    I dunno Karin, I would be too busy concentrating on my tummy LOL. I actually had 1/2 a protein drink on Saturday before Yoga and that seemed to tide me over. Now that I have started eating breakfast I need to eat early!

Kept with the X yesterday and tonight is Kenpo after some Cardio then it's "rest week". I may do X Stretch tomorrow night but have to go to the grocery store after work on my "off day" to do the turkey day shopping. I also want to enter the ingredients into the recipe portion of the site so I can figure out calories and I can't do that until I HAVE the ingredients. I am on track/schedule to remain with the X this weekend! I really like the fact that this is a short week and I have leisure time to work on Exercising!
  • kaffro
    Options
    I don't eat more than a banana before any of the P90X DVD's. Yoga X especially.

A banana has always been more than enough for me first thing in the morning. More than that and I feel ill. After I workout, I usually have a whey protein shake with another banana in it. I like bananas :)
  • SaraTN
    Options
    Here is an article I found on MyYoga.com regarding practicing on an empty stomach. It makes sense with all of the twisting poses etc.

An important preparation for Yoga is avoiding meals prior to the Yoga practice. Generally, we are encouraged to not have eaten 1-2 hours prior to performing Yoga and Breathing (Pranayama) exercises.

Having food in the digestive system can disrupt one's overall practice. The digestive process requires energy. When food is in the digestive tract, the body requires a full flow of blood to these tissues to nourish the gastrointestinal cells that are processing food material. Energy is required for the contraction of gastrointestinal walls to move food through the system. Energy is required for absorption of nutrients and for the production of hormones, enzymes and other chemicals to manage digestion.

When we perform Yoga poses, these poses and transitions take energy away from the digestive system and, if food is in the digestive tract, this system becomes limited in its' capacity to digest.

Another consideration of having food in your system while practicing Yoga, is the hydrostatic pressure that can occur. Food moving through the system is generally fluid in consistency. When one twists, bends, and compresses the torso, portions of the gastrointestinal tract can be pinched off (like a balloon filled with water). With further compression from the pose, the food can push outwards (hydrostatic pressure) against the lining of the tract. For some people who are already prone to digestive disorders like diverticulosis, this pressure on the tract linings can lead to damage of theses tissues or aggravate existing conditions.

For those wishing to use Yoga as part of their weight management program, eating before practice is counterproductive. By having an empty stomach, blood sugar levels are at low to moderate levels. Moving into a Yoga practice with an empty stomach allows one to tap more quickly into energy stores (muscles, liver, and body fat). Expending calories from fat stores happens more readily and efficiently. Eating before a practice floods the body and bloodstream with sugars requiring the body to first “burn off” blood sugar calories before accessing other stores. Important note: if you have health concerns like diabetes or hypoglycemia, you should consult a health professional to determine how eating should be approached with Yoga exercises so you can manage your blood sugar levels properly.

Beyond these health issues, other considerations with not eating before practice should be observed:

*food in the digestive system may cause nausea, bloating or gas during practice

*often one needs to go to the washroom while practicing if the digestive system is processing food, thus disrupting one's practice and connection to the flow

*if practicing on an empty stomach makes the practice difficult (ie low energy), eat a small portion of easily-digestible food like apple sauce or yogurt 30-45 minutes before practice. This small amount of food will make its' way through the system quickly and will not have adverse effects during the practice.

Kreg Weiss is a co-founder of My Yoga Online and certified Hatha Yoga Teacher. Several years ago, Kreg discovered yoga while teaching health and fitness. Yoga dramatically transformed Kreg's approach to teaching health and wellness as well as changed his personal life bringing new direction in finding physical, mental, and spiritual growth.