A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. And what you eat matters. These are not mutually exclusive ideas. This forum really propagates some bad thinking on both extremes.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/517056-does-it-matter-what-you-eat-if-you-just-count-calories/

"Upon investigating the types of foods in the Harvard study, it probably comes as no surprise that the fattier, fried, processed and sugar-added foods contributed to weight gain, while the more commonly-perceived health foods helped people lose weight. However, the keen nutritionist would likely argue that it's not the unhealthy foods themselves that put on the extra weight. Fatty foods like potato chips and red meat naturally contain more calories than whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Overeating foods high in fat is more likely to result in consuming extra calories than foods high in protein or carbohydrates. Potatoes are high in starch, a carbohydrate that is quickly digested and used for energy. As with added sugars, these foods can leave you hungry and craving food shortly after eating."

That's exactly what my experience tells me too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I MADE IT TO THE END.

5 pages appeared while I was reading. Waiting to get into the rollover.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Hello, have you seen a lot a people out there (I include myself in that statement - previous over consumer).

Why did you originally join MFP, for the stimulating conversation.

Gonna cut out the rest because I don't want to destroy reality as we know it.
    I joined so I can count my calories. Which I've been doing. With good results. Still eating plenty of carbs. But never ate so many
    that it would fill up 2000 calories. That would be 500 grams of carbs btw.

An as you are probably burning them all great. There's nothing wrong with eating carbs and burning them if you choose to do this. The problem is over eating them.

I'm not anti carb, some of my best friend know people who eat them.

You sound like you're anti-carb though, since you don't seem to be even entertaining the thought that exactly the same can happen if you eat too much fat and protein with no carbs.

I'm not anti carb, far from it I eat about 150g a day.

Yes I agree that the same would happen if you over consumed any food.

The point of my post was there is a reason members of MFP lost weight and no it's not magic.

Yah we are in a calorie deficet.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Some people say that “any” food can be harmful in excess. Well… I disagree. Try eating broccoli in excess, or eggs. You will feel full very quickly and not want to take another bite.

Compare that to a food like ice cream, which is very easy to consume large amounts of.

Bottom Line: Different foods go through different metabolic pathways. Some foods can cause hormone changes that encourage weight gain, while other foods can increase satiety and boost the metabolic rate.

My favorite quote!
    Thank you for sharing this !!!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you eat low carb and high fat your insulin levels remain low, lipolysis occurs and you generate keytones to burn as fuel = you don't store the fat you consume as body fat.

If you take in more fat than calories you need, it will be stored as fat. The body doesn't upregulate metabolism to burn any and all dietary fat when in a carb depleted state.

Ketones are only produced to supply fuel to the brain in the absence of sufficient blood glucose. Other organs and muscles in the body can directly use fat for energy, and prefers to if possible.

But fat is not a high energy fuel and cannot fuel high intensity exercise, hence "the wall" that is reached after doing high intensity exercise for sufficiently long a period, when glycogen starts to run dry, and the "fat burning zone", exercise intensities sufficiently low that the body primarily burns fat to fuel the exercise.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well this started out fairly bad, but actually has developed into a good discussion instead of name calling...
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ok so the article is worth a read as there were some interesting snippets in it. but ultimately i disagree with it. I totally agree that you'll FEEL different choosing a diet based around different 'quality' of calories (if you were to have 1200 kcals of mcdonalds every day you'd probably feel tired, hungry and greasy), BUT her whole article is supposedly under the title that a calorie isn't just a calorie when in fact in terms of dropping the lbs, it is. If you eat 1200 kcals of healthy nutrient rich foods instead of 1200 kcals of junk food you'll feel much better, but you wont lose weight any quicker and as long as you stick to your calories you'll lose either way.

nothing in that article (for me) changed the basic premise that less calories = weighing less
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with knowing the truth if it matters where my calories come from.. found this AWESOME article that puts logic to it all. Worth the read

http://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/
    Not exactly an authoritative website. I'm not saying Kris is wrong, only that it's easy to put up a website (I have several) and that doesn't make the person an authority.

One of these days, I'm going to make a bogus health website and tout the benefits of giving up wheat... oh, wait, that's been done...
  • psuLemon
    Options
    And science people want science here you go:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/5/899S.ful

"Thermodynamics dictate that a calorie is a calorie regardless of the macronutrient composition of the diet. Further research on differences in the composition of weight loss and on the influence of satiety on compliance with energy-restricted diets is needed to explain the observed increase in weight loss with diets high in protein and/or low in carbohydrate. "

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/diet-and-weight/

"Conventional wisdom says that since a calorie is a calorie, regardless of its source, the best advice for weight control is simply to eat less and exercise more. Yet emerging research suggests that some foods and eating patterns may make it easier to keep calories in check, while others may make people more likely to overeat."

And one of my favorite quotes:

"Thus, studies using extreme diets may be useful for probing biochemical pathways, but they have no relevance to the human diet or to current consumption."
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

"Thermodynamics dictate that a calorie is a calorie regardless of the macronutrient composition of the diet. Further research on differences in the composition of weight loss and on the influence of satiety on compliance with energy-restricted diets is needed to explain the observed increase in weight loss with diets high in protein and/or low in carbohydrate. "

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/diet-and-weight/

"Conventional wisdom says that since a calorie is a calorie, regardless of its source, the best advice for weight control is simply to eat less and exercise more. Yet emerging research suggests that some foods and eating patterns may make it easier to keep calories in check, while others may make people more likely to overeat."

"Thus, studies using extreme diets may be useful for probing biochemical pathways, but they have no relevance to the human diet or to current consumption."
    All this says is that people tend to have problems keeping a diet. That's not exactly anything new.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

You...I like you.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

All this says is that people tend to have problems keeping a diet. That's not exactly anything new.
    Well that, and the macronutrient breakdown does not actually cause more weight loss, it's the calorie deficit. While the macro breakdown has an impact it's on satiety, it does not affect how the calories are burned (or however we're phrasing not all calories are equal).
  • MissMeghan802
    Options
    You know, people who argue this typically lack logging consistency or are desperately grasping at straws to make up reasons in their mind to why their loss is slower than they like. I'm 5'3.5" 119 lbs and lose 1 lb a week on 1700 calories of fast food, ice cream, pizza, etc. So, calories seem to be calories for me. Maybe I'm just a magical fairy though. I would be okay with this. As long as I got wings.

Omg, haha! This made me laugh out loud! I think I may be a fairy too! I eat whatever I want and have lost 43 pounds in 6 months!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

I read it to say...

a cal is a cal.

but some foods leave you feeling hungrier than others... so be smart about what you eat... especially if you are hungry all the time.

and diets suck

*takes a bite out of her intense mint dark chocolate square... cuz shes had lots of filling healthy food and now she wants SOME CHOCOLATE!!! oh and she has room in her budget for it*
  • psuLemon
    Options

You...I like you.

:flowerforyou:
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Most people confuse their own personal results, with absolute proof and they start making fools of themselves. Switch from a very bad diet, to a somewhat bad diet, and you will lose weight. Does not mean you are now a nutrition expert!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Most people confuse their own personal results, with absolute proof and they start making fools of themselves. Switch from a very bad diet, to a somewhat bad diet, and you will lose weight. Does not mean you are now a nutrition expert!

but when someone says a calorie is not a calorie but they mean food has different nutrional values then they should say food has different nutrional values and some keep you feeling fuller longer...not a calorie is not a calorie cause it is.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't lose weight if the calories were still the same count.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Will32283
    Will32283 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Eat low carbs, move around a lot and you burn that fat as keytones, plus the other body fat you have.

How does that make you fat??

The Keytones are a band.

I saw them open up for the Deftones in 1999