calories from fruit

Options

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Haha calories from anything can make you gain weight.
    It's very difficult to become overweight on a diet of whole natural plant foods, because they are so low in calories. Your body's satiety mechanism would take over before you got too many calories, and you would no longer have the desire to eat.

Whole natural plant foods, aside from being loaded with the necessary vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, amino acids, fatty acids, phyto-chemicals and anti-oxidants to sustain healthy life, are loaded with fiber and water. There is a lot of bulk. Because of the bulk of the fiber and water, whole plant foods physically stretch your stomach, signaling your brain that it's time to stop eating.
    caloriedensitystomach.jpg

All animals eating their natural diets do not gain too much weight, even when food is in abundance.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Haha calories from anything can make you gain weight.
    It's very difficult to become overweight on a diet of whole natural plant foods, because they are so low in calories. Your body's satiety mechanism would take over before you got too many calories, and you would no longer have the desire to eat.

Whole natural plant foods, aside from being loaded with the necessary vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, amino acids, fatty acids, phyto-chemicals and anti-oxidants to sustain healthy life, are loaded with fiber and water. There is a lot of bulk. Because of the bulk of the fiber and water, whole plant foods physically stretch your stomach, signaling your brain that it's time to stop eating.
    caloriedensitystomach.jpg

All animals eating their natural diets do not gain too much weight, even when food is in abundance.

That's true but look at her stats, it does not says she has lost weight! People with higher body fat percentage have a huge metabolism! Making smoothies can even make eat way more calories without you noticing!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Ponies are one counterexample - they will become distressingly fat on a diet of only grass. Some breeds of cattle will also do so. One of the cows on my mother's farm hasn't had anything but grass in ten years and still waddles when she walks.

If you said 'most animals', I'd say you were right.
  • thejocool
    thejocool Posts: 46
    Options
    I think what you were looking for was someone to validate what you were thinking more than support.
    Me, I'm a fruits addict and I realized this week by being here that it is part of the reason why I'm not loosing weight way even more than the occasional cookie or handful of chips that I eat once a month. Like someone said a calorie is a calorie. I was on WW for month and it took me F-O-R-E-V-E-R to loose a few pounds and I was following the program to the point, attending meeting and logging EVERYTHING. But fruits were ''free food''... Being here 5 days and logging everything, even fruit and veggies and I lost two pounds.
    Just my 2 cents ! :)
    My thought is that no one gets fat from eating too many fruits and veggies. It's all the other processed foods and fatty oils that cause you to gain weight and be unhealthy. Fruits and veggies are like cheat items in the way that it doesn't matter how much you eat.

THANK GOD !!! some one who thinks the same way as me !!!!

: )
  • thejocool
    thejocool Posts: 46
    Options
    Me too because the minute I put a banana in there there's only 12 calories left for all the rest ! I'm highly interested !
    I would also like the recipe for the 112 calories smoothie please!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The OP is a vegetarian and also not eating dairy. If a vegetarian does not log fruit and vegetables, what is the point of the food diary? I would expect half if not more of a vegetarians calories to come from vegetables and fruit, no?
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Me too because the minute I put a banana in there there's only 12 calories left for all the rest ! I'm highly interested !

Y'all are missing the point. It's ONLY 112 calories because she is NOT counting the fruit calories!!!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMMMMMMMM...smoothies!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My thought is that no one gets fat from eating too many fruits and veggies. It's all the other processed foods and fatty oils that cause you to gain weight and be unhealthy. Fruits and veggies are like cheat items in the way that it doesn't matter how much you eat.

Well you might like this as a thought but it happens to be untrue.

Fruits have calories, calorie intake versus calorie burn determines whether you lose fat or gain fat. Period, end of story.

Now if you also care about health in addition to fat loss then yes what you eat matters in addition to how many calories you eat but this doesn't change the fact that weight loss or gain is wholly determined by how many calories you net each day.

An apple is going to have about 70 calories, A banana about 100. If you strip out the fiber and drink it as a juice or a smoothie chances are it has a lot of calories as you end up drinking much more. Pretty easy to drink a 500 calorie fruit smoothie.

Fruit is sugar, there is not much difference between drinking a fruit smoothie and drinking sugar water in terms of calorie intake.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The important thing is this: You said you don't count fruit and eat as much of it as you want. Is this working for you? Are you losing weight? If so, great. Stick with what you're doing. If you're not losing weight or maintaining or whatever your weight goal is, then you might want to consider counting fruit calories.

It would not work for me because Fruit is my favorite food group, so I can easily go overboard. If left unchecked, between dried fruit and fresh fruit, I could easily eat 15 servings or more per day. I limit myself to 3 to 4 servings per day. One day I snacked on driied bananas. Without thinking, I had consumed 6 bananas!

My friend is opposite of me. She doesn't like fruit. She has to practically force herself to eat fruit. So she wouldn't need to bother logging fruit.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Vegetables calorie content versus fiber is very low, it would indeed be very hard to eat 2000 calories worth of broccoli for example.

Fruit however is actually pretty sugar-filled. It is the candy of the natural world. It wouldn't be that hard to eat 2000 calories worth of fruit ESPECIALLY if that fruit is ground into a juice so you skip the fiber part.

The idea that you can eat all the veg you like is that it is filling for the amount of calories so if you fill your stomach with veg you are likely to eat a little less of a calorie rich food and it balances out. I would not say the same for fruit.

Personally I find vegetables filling but I do not find fruit filling, I find fruit tasty and I think its a healthy snack but its not a good way to avoid calories and you definitely should log fruit.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    If I didnt log my fruit for the day I would be 250-300 calories over every day, thats 1750-2100 every week.
    That will make a big difference to your weekly outcome :flowerforyou:
  • helenprimorac
    Options
    I log everything i eat, even when I have my bad days like today. I had pizza and am going out later for drinks. I make sure that I keep working out everyday if possible.
    I fill up on salads and log all that too and find that I"m not as hungry. Fruit contains lots of sugar but I find that the more I work out the more sugar cravings I get. I also find that sugar from fruit doesn't satisfy my sugar cravings as much as real sugar does so I've been buying cookies that are low in calories but have the sugar boost I need to keep going. Even when I fill up on veggies, I make sure that I am always about 300 calories under my daily intake and I have been losing weight. I guess it depends on how quickly you want to lose weight. I have noticed that lately I'm hungry so I eat more. Someone told me that I can eat as much veggies as I want but I don't see it that way. Food is food!
  • csontos
    csontos Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Y'all are missing the point. It's ONLY 112 calories because she is NOT counting the fruit calories!!!

Ohhhhhhhh. Haha whoops. I totally forgot that. I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to come up with a 112 calorie smoothie. I was like water + ice + banana = smoothie?
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I count fruit because sugar is sugar for me.. half a banana is a "serving" and so on..
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Honestly fruit is candy. What your body gets out of fruit is some vitamins, some fiber and a lot of sugar. Better than eating a candy-bar sure but you should definitely not discount fruit as a calorie source.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    OK I get the message some people have gone way over the top. I posted this for support but a lot of you have actually just made me feel crap.

What? You asked for people's thoughts and you got them.

Support isn't telling someone what they want to hear.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

I don't log my food anymore and feel that its not really necessary; however, I don't eat a lot of fruit and its very easy eating high GI foods to over do it. You mentioned hunger. The way to satisfy your hunger is adequate carbs (100 per day), but most essentially proper protein and fats.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Sorry, but you are 100% mistaken.....
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Whoops, took time to answer the question seriously before reading the rest of the thread to see that the OP had flipped out about not hearing what they wanted to hear and left already. Yay wastes of time.