janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Happy sun!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Welcome Denise!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Off to church,storms today.
    HUGS
    jane:heart::heart:
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Welcome Denise. Summers in Hawaii sound fabulous! You can find the thread under Community, My Topics; or on your profile page, at the bottom. I think is says recent posts or activity.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,188 Member
    Welcome Denise! We will be with you all the way!

Cindy - I wish my DH liked musical theatre as I love it. Having said that, the two I forced him to go to he really enjoyed, but they were a bit "alternative ".

Michele - I don't know how to get the Twix to stick other than butter icing. I've never done anything like that. I've often fancied trying those chocolate cigarillos, but haven't got round to it.

Carol - your dish sounds great and very inventive. :flowerforyou: Most of my food day to day is pretty much same old, same old and I have to be really motivated to try something new. Some months I have set that as a goal. I have just made a big saucepan of passata and will have some with chilli, lemon zest and herbs, with prawns and linguini. The rest will go in the freezer - I love to do that! But that is a very old dish for me. DH loves it though, but I would like it with more chilli!:laugh: We will have French beans with it.

My old friend is popping in today on her way home. It will be great to see her. Recently she had a really horrible bright red rash on her cheeks which would not respond to any treatment. Now it's gone. Great relief as she is a lawyer and deals with the public all day. I have known her since school days.:love::love:
    We did an hour of gardening yesterday and today in beautiful sunshine. DH washed the patio table and I sprayed the weeds. Our purple sprouting broccoli is still producing and we have had lots of rhubarb, including rhubarb vodka maturing in the fridge!:bigsmile: I sowed cornflowers and nasturtiums in our border as DB had given me edible plant seeds for Christmas, but some of them are not hardy. We got our red dahlia out of its winter hibernation and potted it up. Will have to keep an eye on the frost forecasts and then bring it inside. Our patio pots look beautiful - tulips - pink and red and yellow pansies. The mint I have had all winter in the kitchen is now on the patio in a big pot.
    I am so glad those of you up in the far north are now beginning to see signs of spring.:drinker: I can't imagine how you manage with such a long winter. Have you ever thought of moving? :laugh: :tongue: :flowerforyou:

Meg - hope DD#1 is ok. How wonderful to have a mum like you to turn to.:flowerforyou:

Katla - you asked me a question the other day and I can't remember what it was. Sorry about your anxiety. I find money worries are awful, especially if you like things to be in your control. They can make you feel helpless and scared. DH is trying to cut back on his meds again and so far all is well. Last time it didn't work and he had to resume his full dose sharpish. I can't remember if you take something. So many people do take a light dose, including my friend who is visiting today and my yoga friend.

I have sent my DSIL some roses, which should arrive tomorrow. I would rather she had the flowers to personally enjoy than send them to her father's funeral. I didn't like the man at all, but I love my DSIL.:heart:

On Wednesday we have booked to go to the Vikings exhibition at the British Museum. DH writes about them in his books. We shall go up by train and meet my London friend for a quick lunch nearby. Haven't seen her since her 60th in January. :love:

Bye for now. Heather in flowery and sunny Hampshire UK
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,069 Member
    I've been out of town and I lost you!!!! Glad to have found you again.:drinker:

Lin in Wet and Drizzly Central Iowa :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    Hosanna for Palm Sunday!

Sang in church today!

Welcome newcomers:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Carol you remind me the power of words. What we say to others as they struggle can profoundly help or hurt.

H20daughter 15 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heather the Viking exhibit sounds interesting.

Today I will join a discussion group with my church on the movie Noah and have lunch with my son.

Goal:
    Today I will take a walk in the park, so I wake up to a healthier tomorrow.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,188 Member
    Margaret - it's called Vikings Life and Legend. Google British Museum. I LOVE the British Museum.:love::love: :love:
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    WoHooooo! :smile: 2.4 pounds lost this week!!!!!

Today I went to church, to the grocery store, and then on a cooking marathon for the last 3 hours - fresh string beans and carrots, fresh squash and onions, corny cornbread, bbq chicken wings, potato salad! Now I'm not hungry! :happy:

My 6 year old GD spent the weekend with me. She helped me (add exercise minutes :tongue: ) but I'm ready for a nap now.. If none of the children happen by this should last us most of the week!:smile:

I didn't mention that the SO had the GD helping him plant some Verbina and Dahlias! I think we were trading her off as necessary! :wink:

Hope all of you had a wonderful weekend.

Tere
  • lindastanley82
    lindastanley82 Posts: 17 Member
    Here's a tip for those who include protein shakes in their diet - I always add a few ice cubes in the blender to thicken the shake and make it super cold. I think this improves the flavor as well. On warm days, I like to add a lot of ice to the blender to make a frozen shake. Of course this increases the volume of the shake even more and makes it seem like I'm indulging in a frozen treat.
  • kathrineb57
    kathrineb57 Posts: 44 Member
    Hi to all you beautiful ladies,
    Just popping in after I worked on my food diary. i am learning this food diary logging every day, as I use it. A couple days last week, I would log all day then not click the entry at the end of the day. I did complete the entry the next day. And I think it counted toward my streak. I could be wrong, but maybe it worked that way. ??????
    Hanging out with two little grandsons today. We slept in, I made pancakes for breakfast, and I ate one in moderation( measured amount, no butter, SF syrup). We colored eggs and the boys were quite creative with the food coloring. Cute eggs, colorful fingers! I had planned to take them indoor swimming because of the rainy day, but silly me; the indoor pool is closed when it is thunder and lightning. So, we walked around Target store and checked out the toys.

Well, enough playing for the day. I better get some chores done to get ready for the work week.

Thinking of everyone and want you all to know how supportive you are by just being here and sharing. This is an awesome group of woman. i do believe that i am blessed for finding this group. My husband has only been gone for three months tomorrow, I find my grief can be quite consuming, and sharing with all of you is such a positive part of my "journey".

Enjoy your Sunday evenings and Have a great Monday. Be Healthy and Strong Woman.

Kathrine in Kansas

April goals:
    * to write down in my food diary, before I eat the meal
    * to lose 5lbs
    * to focus on healthy breakfast recipes
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Afternoon my friends~
    today has been busy,but not with alot of exercise..
    im getting my butt up tomorrow and getting back into the routine.. gorgeous weekend here.. had a nice time visiting with Faith last night, Sean and Jean were home by 9..
    I am sitting drinking lemon ginger ice tea it is light and refreshing.. havent eaten a whole lot today, for the last week I have felt bloated, and dont know why.. I know I have had some sodium, but not swimming in it:huh:
    went to visit my DFIL today twice,first time he was in church service, second time he was in bed taking a nap.. seems his girlfriend jilted him and he was depressed.. I put out a couple of cookies for him and we left.. will stop and see him tomorrow...
    was out the door at 6 this morning and went grocery shopping, picked up DH ,and then came home and put it all the way....I got some stuff that i will have for snacks through the week.. I usually go with the ol standby's,rice cakes with garden vegetable wedge...,string cheese, 100 calorie pack almonds.. then i did buy some biscotti bites and measured those out into portions...
    went quite a bit over budget and hubby wasnt to happy:blushing:
    the birds are singing and i am relaxing.. and I should get out for a nice walk. but I am tired..
  • Hello Ladies,

I am new to MFP; finishing up my very first week. I am so happy to find this group as I have been reading some of the conversations in other threads and was becoming quite discouraged by the negative, sarcastic, and condescending tone of many of them. Reading through your posts I feel like I'm sitting at the kitchen table and chatting with you all!

My name is Susan, I'm a 57 grandma to two little beauties and I live in southern Ontario. We had a horrendous winter this year, with huge amounts of snowfall, and very cold temperatures. That being said, today it is a balmy 23C and I've just come in from a nice walk.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Cheers!
    Susan
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Hello again ladies! I just got home from a clay club meeting and found I was WAY behind on my reading. So I have just skimmed and will go back later to read more.

This morning at the lake cabin my sweet hubby threw his back out. All he did was stand up from his chair and something snapped. So, he can't walk or even stand up straight. I had to load all the stuff in the van to come home. He usually does that, but couldn't today. Then once we got home I had to unload it all and put it away. I hope our backs never go out at the same time! So he's been lying down all day. He refuses to go to the minor emergency clinic. He just wants to wait it out. His back has done this before and it took several days and muscle relaxers before he could walk normally. He has class tomorrow morning, so we'll see how that goes. I predict a doctor in his future.

I'm making a steak on the indoor grill tonight for supper. I'd say we probably have red meat twice a week or less. He eats beef more than I do nowadays.

At the club meeting one of the ladies who doesn't come very often kept remarking on how good I look. She said something about me looks different, but she wasn't sure what it was. I hadn't seen her in a year or more. Finally somebody told her I had lost 100 pounds. It was pretty funny.

Well, here is the joke of the day:

:happy:

After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed all
    the way home in the back seat of the car, his father asked him three
    times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, "That preacher said he
    wanted us brought up in a Christian home and I wanted to stay with you
    guys."

:laugh:
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    It has taken me all afternoon to catch up but all I was doing was watching the Masters on TV. We had rain and thunderstorms this morning but it’s nice now. Expecting near freezing weather tomorrow night. Unheard of in TX in April!

jb – loved the poem from the 11th!

Gloria – I have the same problem with the scale. Unfortunately, I’m not seeing the inches go down so you should be proud of your efforts.

Dee Dee – Home Depot sells small pots of paint very cheap so I bought several different shades of the color I wanted. Put them on different walls. It’s amazing how much the color changes from daylight to night. Good luck.

Kathrine in KS – Great loss. I’m happy for you! So sorry for the recent passing of your DH.

Sandy – great NSV. You need to consider sharing your story with your class because you never know whose life you might change for the better.

Sylvia – our church had a garages sale this weekend. I took two golf bags to donate but came home with two lamps and two pictures.

Liz – you are doing great. Nothing motivates like a wedding to attend.

Kim, I don’t know how many ladies are on this thread but you might have a lot of company soon! We were stationed in Las Vegas and we had tons of people come to visit!

Jane – it’s a good thing you didn’t say 70 today as we all thought you had a 50th a couple of days ago! LOL

Carol – you made me hungry talking about your dinner and dessert. I need to go fix dinner but only have one more page to read!

Welcome Denise. My two daughters and their families live in the Denver area. We’ll be going up in May for DGD’s high school graduation.

Margaret – DH and I saw Noah. Came home and read the story again in the Bible and saw some different views. What did your church discussion group think? Personally, I think any movie that is Christian related is a good thing because there are so few movies worth seeing.

Tere – Great job this week! 2.4 pounds is awesome.

Welcome Susan. Come chat with us as often as you can.

Sue in TX
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Hi everyone, finally had a relaxing afternoon, outdoors at a café with my guy and my dog, enjoying the sunshine. We go there often, but I'm often kind of antsy to get going after a while, so it was nice to notice I was just sitting there and relaxing. It was a little chilly, but otherwise nice. I went a bit over on calories because we decided to eat there instead of at home. It was (way) past my dog's mealtime so I got him two slices of bread and a thin slice of ham. He was thrilled. :happy: I don't think we even got charged for that; maybe because we're regulars.

Hope everyone sleeps well! :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia
  • MrsRatfire
    MrsRatfire Posts: 102
    cute! Thank you for posting your spectacular weight loss! I find it inspiring.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Good evening Lovely Ladies,

Welcome everyone new. Storms just passed through, we had one of those spinning vent things on our roof blow off. Hubby was on the roof putting it back with approaching lighting, rain. I was saying prayers and watching him, hoping he didn't blow off or get struck by the lightning. All is good now, whew!

Katherine, many big hugs for you :flowerforyou:

Sue in TX, we have the same weather forecast in our area. :grumble:

Sylvia, hope DH feels better soon.

Tere, congrats!

Have a wonderful evening, hugs to all.

Cindy in OK :heart:
  • milmomto2
    milmomto2 Posts: 84
    Gloria- I went through a total hysterectomy 18 months ago and am having a rough time losing excess weight! I work a very physically demanding job so its not because I'm not exercising. Inches are coming off but not the weight....what to do?
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    What a great weekend weather wise. DD & I went for another walk down at the lake still lots of ice build up on the pier. Went to aquafit yesterday & today. I lost 0.8 lbs this week. I think it's time to get out the measuring tape again. The scale isn't being my friend the last few weeks.

I can't wait until it's warm enough consistently to be able to work in my tiny garden. I live in an apartment on the main floor so I have a small patio and a small garden, I also have a BBQ.

I don't know how to motivate my DD into getting back to the gym. She's not gone in about a week. She works different shift then I do so we don't go at the same time. She complains about her weight but doesn't seem motivated. I guess the only thing I can do is lead by example.

Lots to do before bed..enjoy your evening.

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Enjoyed catching up on everyone's posts. We are certainly a busy bunch.

I did not go to work yesterday to try and do some extra as planned, though I have plenty to do. Just didn't sleep well Friday. I did get some yard work done and went for a massage, but was just done after that. DH worked until 7p or so, then wanted to go out to dinner. Went to Applebee's, but meh... Today we worked together to get our soaker hoses reburied in the mulch. Afternoon and evening DS#1 came up and we went to dinner for his birthday -- which was a month ago! Went to the favorite Mexican place only to find they have redone the menu, etc., and nothing was the same. In any event, I've been guzzling water to combat some of the sodium and we'll see what the scale brings tomorrow. I do so well all week and then the hard work is undone by Sunday night. I did walk a couple of miles after we got home tonight. DH works until 9p every night except Thursday this week, so I need to leave the office and get to the Y every night.

I hope everyone has a great night.

Gail, metro ATL
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Hi there lovely ladies! It is late afternoon 5:30 PM on Sunday here at the West Coast.

We had our toddler grandson over this weekend and enjoyed that very much. It had been a while, and we want to ensure that he continues to feel at home at our house, because his parents will be having baby #2 in a couple of months and we will be looking after him. The weather was gorgeous too, so that was a bonus. He typically sleeps and plays very well at our house, although the eating regiment is less succesful. But he is healthy and growing, so I never worry about that part. I frankly don't even care if he eats french fries and crackers all weekend, and just drinks water :bigsmile: :bigsmile: if that is what it takes.

Good nsv for me today...after grand toddler left I went through all my clothes. I have 2.5 large bags of clothes to give away that are too big on me, including a Jones New York summer dress I never wore, with the price tag still on it :sad: I contemplated getting that one to a consignment store, but I decided it is not worth the effort, when everything else is going to the Sally Ann or St. Vincent de Paul. Besides, I am envisioning someone finding that dress and buying it for under 10 bucks! and being absolutely grateful wearing it to a special occasion. That is part of my satisfaction.

What a great feeling that nsv was today. I kept a few expensive items that are still too small on me. However, since I really like these pieces, I will keep them. That is because I hope to lose another 10 lbs over the summer, now that I can get more active again.

After all this work today, I still have plenty of clothes left, and have decided not to buy anything else, except perhaps a pair of white jeans. I love wearing white jeans in the summer with some bling on the back pockets.

Hope you all have a great evening.
    :heart:
    Renny