WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Beth: Good that you both feel he made the right decision about baseball, and the less-stress option sounds perfect.
    Katla, Barbie: besides keeping the back seat clean (I just lay a big fluffy towel over it) you may want to look into a seat belt harness. Our much-loved friends turn into projectiles at a sudden stop, and we want to keep them safe and healthy! :heart:
    Meg: my use of caller ID: I don’t answer if I don’t recognize the number. Antartian: someone who’s clueless. :happy:
    Deborah: haha, ditched for a new thread! :laugh:

Working today, but hoping to sit out in the sun later with my guy and dog. That's one of the advantages of a flexible schedule.

Wishing everyone a good day,
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,311 Member
    Options
    Kim - your low cal muffins sound great!:flowerforyou: Very inventive. :flowerforyou: Do your friends like savoury cakes? Everyone I know adores the zucchini tots from skinnytaste.com. VERY few calories. I usually put out some chilli jam or low fat creme fraiche with pesto stirred in for people to blob on top. I use parmesan for the cheese and panko for the breadcrumbs. I squeeze the zucchini dry in lots of kitchen towel. Adored by all and people who come are always disappointed if I haven't made any.:laugh: My grandson adores them too. They freeze beautifully and I just defrost them and warm them up for five minutes to refresh them.

Quiet day today. I have so many tiny jobs to do that I can't decide which ones to do. I would like to buy some new summer pants, but I am feeling a bit lethargic. I have ordered a new linen t shirt in an online sale with free postage and I hope it is not too small as I hate the bother of sending stuff back. Although I am small busted I am very broad shouldered. I do prefer to try on trousers though unless I am certain of the sizing. I only have one skirt that fits and no summer trousers that fit. I think I will leave making the icing rabbits today. I have all of next week while DH is at cricket. Other jobs are admin, which I loathe, including complaining AGAIN about my window.:sad: :explode: :sad: I am also going to ring the travel insurance company to ask them to send me the policy documents. I just hate it when they send all the docs by email and expect you to usd all your time, energy and ink to print them out. Grrrrrr!:angry:
    Sorry, feeling a bit blah today. I will have to read my book, The Wise Heart. :laugh: :tongue: Yes, Barbie, I will have to Act The Way I Want To Feel.

Hugs for those with real problems and griefs. :love: :flowerforyou:

Heather in glorious Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,765 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    I didnt check in last night,sorry..
    the bit-- office manager left at 3:30 yesterday, and as soon as I got to work it was run ,run ,run which is fine and makes the day go by quick.. but she is such a chatty cathy that she writes out the appt card and forgets to put the appointment on the computer.. well that happened yesterday for a root canal finish, luckly it was taken care of quickly..
    now if I had done that I would have gotten written up, but her she does it at least 3-4 times a month..:grumble:
    anyway I did stop over to see my dad yesterday morning, he is home now....and then I stopped at the nursing home to see my FIL, then to work..
    DH and I went to see him again last night because Tom will be leaving for Florida in the morning,so he wont see him for awhile..
    my FIL said to his son, that he can always count on me.. that is nice to know:bigsmile:
    I got a piece of the coconut poke cake out of the fridge there for him while we visited...
    came home and dropped into bed...
    i did get over 8,000 steps without formal exercise..
    life has just been so crazy, I have been stress eating and not exercising and I just have to put my life in God's hands for right now..
    I want to get back on the right path and stay there,but life has been throwing me curve balls left and right..
    keep me in your prayers please!!
    thanks for being here for me... love ya all lots:heart:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Beth:smile: Sending the best of wishes to your son:flowerforyou: ! I`m sure it was hard making the decision:brokenheart: , but a relief once it was made!

Mimi:smile: So very glad to see you again:bigsmile: :flowerforyou: !!!! You are the "Veggie Queen" too, right?

Heather:smile: Sending you happy vibes through the air, hope the blahs lift soon:flowerforyou: !

Cynthia:smile: Sitting out in the sun sounds delightful:glasses: !!! I`m meeting with the landscaper again today, and I think we`ll be sitting outside in the sun too:glasses: . Remember to wear your sunscreen:bigsmile: !!!!

Alison:smile: Keeping you in my prayers:flowerforyou: !

Kim In N. CAL:smile: The pumpkin ginger muffins sounds delsih:love: !!!!

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: ! I hope you`ll continue to pop in and chat! This is a great group women, lots of support here:happy: !!!

Have a wonderful day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in gorgeous NC:glasses:
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    Read back to the first page and have now caught up but can't comment on everything.
    This morning I made a greek lite vanilla strawberry protein shake. I've been struggling with breakfast as I feel most things are to many carbs, fats or sugars. For years I mixed a protein shake with my coffee but I've really grown tired of it and am looking for alternatives.
    Today is my strength training day, tomorrow night I think I'm going to another Y to try their yoga class as I really want to take Yoga and it looks like we won't be offering it after all. The Yoga instructor blew her knee out.
    Today I'm sitting here at work with ear plugs in, I'm determined not to let others complaints and negativity get me down. Plus I have a focusing issue and am easiliy distracted by others.
    Bailey (dd's dog that was hit by car) is doing OK, the vet siad it will take time but she should recover. She has been so good through the whole thing but looks miserable.
    My daughters pinning ceremony was wonderful, her twin daughters pinned her and I was vert proud. We couldn't celebrate after because of previous commitments so this week-end we are going to The Cheesecake Factory. I've never been ther but plan to make wise choices and avoid dessert all together.

Barbie cat, Congrats on the truck.

Redladee, Checked in last night and the dog is doing OK, slow process. What is TurboFire45?

Sylvia, Cherry pie is my fav, when my Grandmother was alive she would make one for my birthday every year. I’ve never tasted any as good.

Cocotrendy, Welcome and I agree it is not too late to change.

Cindy OK, the pumpkin bars sound good; I am checking that recipe out.

Katla, DSIL in my prayers, if it is what he wants, I hope he gets the job.

Welcome Angela, I’ve never heard of the Jawbone Up but this is a great group to join.

Amanda x, I hope things work out with your gallbladder, I had my surgery about three years ago, I remember the pain I had from those attacks before the surgery, hang in there.

Carol NC, I love roasted asparagus, I will have to try the wiggle trick as I cut all mine. Another fav of mine are brussel sprouts, roasted the same but I add garlic and parmesan cheese.

Tigress GA, How old was your Fitbit? Mine is two years old, I got it at Best Buy also, I might try getting a hold of them. I don’t have a receipt either.

Welcome SCMclaughlin

Heather Hampshire UK, I like self-help books also, the idea for your brother is great, I bet he will enjoy it.

Joyce IN, I feel your pain, sometimes the desire for carbs is overwhelming and once tasted, I’m gone.

Vickie GI NE, Attitude is key, I’m working on mine as well.

Meg Omaha, You are in a hard place, I’m thinking you might have to tell your dd that you will support her as much as you can but she will have to live with her decision so she better be prepared for it. The really hard part is having other lives so impacted by her decisions.

Beth, NY What a mature decision on your DS’s part. I bet you are proud.

My I-pad isn't working right, it appears to be froze in the process of running upates and I can't get it to do anything. I hope I have time this week-end to call Apple and see if they can help me out.

Here is wishing all a healthy and happuy day.
    Patty, Cincinnati Ohio
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good gracious 3 pages into the second half of April! Take one day off and get left behind :laugh:

Morning everyone!

Yesterday I had a dentist appointment. On the way there I saw what looked to be a step aerobic step put out on the curb. Well I've always wanted one so I says to myself I'm going to stop and pick that up if it is still there on my way home. It was so I stopped and picked it up! I've never picked anything up off the side of the road before so I felt kind of like I was stealing something but when I talked to my sister she assured me that it had been put out for just that. Anyway I just finished a basic step workout with Jenny Ford on You Tube. I enjoyed it very much and did break a good sweat! So I am thanking God for the free work out equipment!

Eric & I went to see "God's not Dead" yesterday. It was very inspiring and if you have been thinking about going to see it we thought it was great!

Beth: I'm glad your son was able to make an Adult decision. That shows how far he has come. I participated in a "Zumba on Steroids" class. I just laughed afterwards! There were a lot of people keeping up but I had to quit before it was over!

Well better get busy the never ending laundry awaits me and aren't I thankful that my "modern day slaves" (washing machine & dryer) await me!

Have a great day!

Cindy
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies, I haven't figured out what to have for breakfast yet, so I'm going to write a little while I think about it.

Patty- my Fitbit was only 9 months old, but for $100 bucks it should last more than 2 years. They are pretty good at customer service, so give it a try all they can say is yes or no. You are out anything. Next time save the receipt.:laugh:

Meg-keep your mind calm DD may change her mind. If not you may be babysitting a lot. I have a friend and her oldest daughter loves to drop her 6 kids off at her house, cause "she just can't deal with it anymore". I told her no one helped you out, she had 5 kids. I don't say that she shouldn't have had all those kids if she couldn't deal with it. Now understand that she has been doing this since the first one. If she couldn't deal with one, why have five more? I can under stand that you like sex, but do something, so you don't breed! My friend has MS and her daughter now lives in FL, her husband had to go away on business for a month, so, she and the kids came for a month visit. My friend just can't say no. Sorry for the rant, I'm just mad that my friend is being worn out and her own daughter doesn't care.

While breakfast tummy is calling. Bbl

Tigress in GA
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
    Have a Good day everyone.
    Brenda in Md
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Not much time to post today. Gotta go get the little guy for story time at the library. That's always fun. Bruno was being incredibly good this morning. He and I were having a very sweet tender few moments on the bed and he was calm and nice. Then the devil came out and I just about lost my nose. Strange little dog. Sunday when the kids were here he was very sweet. No nipping. When the three kids walked a few blocks with me, the younger girl was holding his leash and he didn't even pull. With me he pulls like a freight train. Go figure.

I hope you all have a great day.

Sylvia
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Beth - Good for your son! My son has been dealing with health issues for a number of years and he has had to make some tough decisions, too. It's hard, but it makes me feel so proud when he displays the maturity to do what is right for his physical and emotional health. I'm glad your boy can continue to play baseball at a more "fun" level so that he can enjoy himself in a sport he obviously loves.

Joyce - I've never seen the movie "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer" but the book was incredible!! I am a bit of history geek (minored in history) and love that time frame. When I was reading the book, I would be thinking to myself, "Oh, that's what happened to cause that event." then (sometimes physically) do a head slap because I would then remember that I was reading fiction. I don't know if I'm explaining very well...In short, the book was amazingly well written.

Well, Cindy, I had something I wanted to say to you, too, but I've forgotten. I may pop back in later if I remember. :blushing:
    Edit: I remember!! Congrats on the free exercise equipment!

Today is my last full day of work before heading to the beach tomorrow. My clothes are pretty much packed so tonight will be pulling together food items and making a couple of ice packs for the cooler. I need to add in my sneakers, beach flip flops, and a jacket plus a mind games puzzle book and my meds. Tomorrow morning will be all of the phone, Kindle, and iPod chargers and toiletries in addition to refrigerated foods and I can be out the door! Yippee!!! :love: Oh, and I have to figure out exactly how my son is going to be chaperoned. His sister has said that she would come spend the nights at my house, but I would really prefer than he spend the time with his dad. He hasn't spent a night with his dad in at least a couple of months. To be ugly, I'm tired of hearing his dad whine that he misses our son after 7 years of ignoring the child in pursuit of his own pleasures--he and the woman he began dating immediately after he moved out have ceased seeing each other so he finally has time for his children. :angry:

I suppose I ought to get to work now and go pull my breakfast out of the fridge--my tummy is complaining! :laugh:

Hope everyone has a great day!

Carol in sunny, windy NC
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Mimi!! So glad to see you back and posting. :heart: So, what is happening with your other profile?

I woke up at 4:30 am. Way too early for me.

Renny
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

It is a beautiful day here, I so love spring! After I work out I plan to bake some whole wheat bread and do some weeding in the yard, with lots of sunscreen! I am a redhead, so burn in a minute outside.

Heather, I too am addicted to self help and spiritual books. I have shelves and a Nook full of them. I always say I listen to their voice instead of the one in my head when it turns to negative thoughts. :heart:

Rita, hugs from a fellow arthritis sufferer. :flowerforyou:

Michele, the way you workout I am sure some of the pounds gained are muscle! :smile:

Meg, the kid in me refuses to grow up, I still love Disney movies! :laugh:

Beth, I am sure your son will accomplish great things. Athletics teaches you to go after what you really want. Those lessons stay long after you leave the sport. He sounds like a great person already at such a young age. :flowerforyou:

Joyce, I didn't like that movie either! :smile:

Katherine, I love roasted Brussel sprouts!:smile:

Mimi, welcome back!:flowerforyou:

Kim, the recipe sounds yummy. :flowerforyou:

Alison, a hug for you.:heart:

Patty, protein shakes are my go-to breakfast most of the time. Helps me control my calories for the day.:flowerforyou:

Cindy, congrats on the new step workout, free, yay!:smile:

Carol, enjoy the beach, take your sunscreen!:smile:

Hugs and prayers for a wonderful day everyone,

Cindy in oK:heart:
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    For pity's sake... it's snowing this morning! :grumble:

Beth in miserable Western New York
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rita: Hugs. You’ll get through this and when the nicer weather comes to stay for the summer I hope it lifts your spirits.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I enjoyed your article and it is actually pretty easy to believe. I like the salads first idea best because you can’t always choose your plate size.:flowerforyou:

Renny: My mom talked about will power and won’t power. It was a joke, but so true. She said we seem to have a lot more will power than won’t power. (As in I will drink that high calorie cup of Starbucks Coffee, I will have a cookie, etc.) :noway: :tongue:

Tigress in GA: Isn’t it amazing how one person’s bane is another’s boon? I’ve been taking Wellbutrin since my mom passed away 17 years ago. It does wonderful things for me. I know that everyone is different and somethings that work for me don't work for others.:flowerforyou:

Turkishvan: Welcome! You sound a bit ambivalent. You can lose the weight with the tools MFP provides and the support of this great group of women. I did & if I can do it, I’m sure you can too. You have to want it enough to make permanent changes in your eating habits. It is hard work and takes time. We’re here for you if you decide to go for it.:flowerforyou:

Deborah105: ??? If you started with us and we disappeared, it was because MFP has a 500 post limit and when we reach 500 it starts a new thread for us. You can always find the link at the end of the 500th post. Barbie starts a new thread for us every month. You can also find that link at the end of the thread.:flowerforyou:

Meg: I watched Deadliest Catch for quite some time but haven’t been into it lately. I’m glad you’ll have a new season to enjoy.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: thanks for the information on the hammock. I’ll look them up and see if they’ll do what we need to have done. We have a harness for our dog that is essentially a canine seat belt. I’m not sure how much it would help him in a collision, but it will keep him from going through the windshield.:heart:

Beth in WNY: Your son sounds like a well-grounded young man with a good sense of what he needs. Congratulations!:flowerforyou:

MimiPersists: Welcome back.:flowerforyou:

Kim in N CA: Don’t be shy about posting recipes here. The pumpkin ginger muffins sound wonderful. I don’t know how to link things, either.:flowerforyou:

Heather in Hampshire UK: I wonder what would happen if you had the window fixed and sent the property managers the bill. I suppose they’d balk at compensating you, but perhaps you could deduct the cost from your management fees. I’ve no knowledge of British law on the matter.:flowerforyou:

Alison: You got a wonderful compliment from your FIL! Congratulations. You have had quite a stress load for months now. I’ll put you in my prayers. Hugs. :flowerforyou:

We’re planning a running around sort of day today. We need to go by the eye doctor’s office so I can pick up my new glasses and DH can have his adjusted. Then we’re going to pick up our DS’s truck from the mechanic who has had it for 5 years. I’m not kidding about the 5 years. I hope it runs well after all this. Last week DH gave me his acupuncturist appointment as a gift, and she’s really helped me. So have the gua sha treatments that DH has provided. My shoulders are feeling much better. They’ve been hurting since a year ago in February when I was pulled down three steps by my enormous garbage bin. I’m thrilled to be finally getting some relief.:love::flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training when able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: Pay attention to water intake and drink frequently during the day.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi Mimi, long time no see! Good to have you back. :smile:

No more cookies to tempt me at work, I gave them all away yesterday. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Smart! Those rotten things just sit there and yell at me - good riddance!

100% chance of rain today. I will not let myself get caught in a torrential downpour 'without raingear' like I did yesterday. What was I thinking! :noway: I'm blaming the cookies. They messed with my intelligence :tongue:

Long day ahead, must get a move on. Great day to all. :flowerforyou:

:smile: jb in cookie-free Portland
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!!
    cooler today-50`s
    see hubby today,he`s off.
    Have a good one.
    hugs
    jane
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bumping to mark my spot. Welcome to the new women! This is one of the best groups on MFP!

Jeri
    In cool, partly cloudy NW Illinois
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,311 Member
    Options
    Katla - I originally was just going to replace the window myself and had an estimate. Then I realised that as it is a leasehold property (housing association) I needed to get their ok for the window and put in one that was suitable and matching. Then the whole saga started with the legal team saying they were responsible and a window was going to have to be made specially. And so it goes on and on and on . . . I emailed them again today. I do have to say that the people on the ground floor have just put any old windows in, thereby lowering the value of my flat. I have complained about this as well, but have had no response. My next step looks like writing to the managing director directly and after that the Ombudsman. I find it incredible that they can have taken from October until now to do absolutely nothing despite the fact that I have lodged a formal complaint. If I withhold management fees I would be in breach of contract and would not be able to apply for a lease extension and therefore won't be able to sell it. I am in a lather about it despite my calming meditations etc as I feel powerless and that is a position I am not often in. I have never in my life received service such as this.
    Sorry to rant.:embarassed:
    DH could see I was in a funk and took me out to the shops. He kindly hovered while I bought some stretchy jeans and he bought himself some summer trousers snd a t shirt. We had a coup in the deli with spotting they hadn't registered our 3 for 2 and getting our money back despite the fact that the offer had officially run out and came back feeling pleased with ourselves! My new mail ordervt shirt had been delivered and looks great. I was putting stuff away and DH asked why I had bought a pcket of frozen brussel sprouts, which he had spotted at the cash till and hadn't said anything. (I thought I was buying 2 packets of frozen spinach) For some reason, (probably the window saga) I went off on one and got very heated about how stupid I had been and why hadn't he said anything. He retired upstairs, very hurt.:cry: I've just been up to apologise for going on at him.:embarassed: Really I should have looked at both packets from the same pile, but I still think he coild have spoken up at the time! Is he a man or a mouse! ! ! ! ! ! :laugh: :laugh: :grumble:
    So that's my mixed up, very bumpy day. Self compassion required. DH has forgiven me.:blushing:

Fragrant Chinese prawn curry tonight with pak choi in low sodium oyster sauce. Perhaps that will cheer me up.:ohwell:

Love Heather in drizzly Hampshire UK
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,079 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Deedee:drinker:

Jane hugs!:flowerforyou:

Jb glad temptation is gone!

Katla glad shoulder is getting better. Pain is no fun.

Carol have a great time at the beach.

Beth your son’s decision was not easy. Proud of him for putting his recognizing the need to decide on priorities.

Alison hugs.:flowerforyou:

Heather love the decoration. Heather I like to read books that help me reflect on my spiritual growth. I read Path with Heart years ago too.

Meg hugs.:flowerforyou:

Patty understand frustration with technology. They use what is called a smart board in the schools where I teach. Yesterday it was not so smart. I could project things from the computer, but I could not use the markers that come with it to write on the board. Something was wrong with the connection. Unfortunately this teacher has her computer across the room from the board. It was a challenge.

I am working a half-day today. Spring is finally here, so I am enjoying getting out for walks. Son is doing the best he can under the circumstances.

Goal:
    To log today, so tomorrow I wake to a healthier tomorrow.

2014 word: contentment
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options

...So that's my mixed up, very bumpy day. Self compassion required. DH has forgiven me.:blushing:

Fragrant Chinese prawn curry tonight with pak choi in low sodium oyster sauce. Perhaps that will cheer me up.:ohwell:

Love Heather in drizzly Hampshire UK

We all have days when we need to show ourselves some compassion. I'm sorry about your terrible, no good, horrible bad day. I hope tomorrow is better.

Katla