Being hit on/flirted with?

Options

Replies

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    To me, it really depends on how it's done. I do like getting attention from the ladies every now and then, but one started up with "hey, cutie" and the "dafuq did you just say?" look came right to my face. How about at least asking me for my name before using some kind of nickname? I also had one intoxicated woman talk about my *ahem* "member". i'm sure she thought she was flirting, but it was NOT getting my attention in a good way.

On the other hand, if they use bizarre tactics like... I don't know... starting up a conversation like I was a normal person? I'm perfectly fine with it. You know... using strange phrases like "hi there, how are you today?" or "I don't think I've seen you around here before, are you new?" or "hey, I'm ________, I don't think we've met..."

If a woman meets me with respect and then shows interest, I'm MUCH more likely to respond.

On the flip side, I don't go up to a woman with something dumb like "hey, babe...". I go up to her and I just TALK. (On the plus side, doing this also saves face, because you're free to talk to anybody about what's on the TV, what's going on in the party, or the yardwork they're working on. Then, if you find out they're attached or someone you shouldn't be flirting with, you can say you were just chatting.)
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    To me, it really depends on how it's done. I do like getting attention from the ladies every now and then, but one started up with "hey, cutie" and the "dafuq did you just say?" look came right to my face. How about at least asking me for my name before using some kind of nickname? I also had one intoxicated woman talk about my *ahem* "member". i'm sure she thought she was flirting, but it was NOT getting my attention in a good way.

On the other hand, if they use bizarre tactics like... I don't know... starting up a conversation like I was a normal person? I'm perfectly fine with it. You know... using strange phrases like "hi there, how are you today?" or "I don't think I've seen you around here before, are you new?" or "hey, I'm ________, I don't think we've met..."

If a woman meets me with respect and then shows interest, I'm MUCH more likely to respond.

On the flip side, I don't go up to a woman with something dumb like "hey, babe...". I go up to her and I just TALK. (On the plus side, doing this also saves face, because you're free to talk to anybody about what's on the TV, what's going on in the party, or the yardwork they're working on. Then, if you find out they're attached or someone you shouldn't be flirting with, you can say you were just chatting.)

Dude, you are a weird one. I for one, fall for the lady talking about my "member" trick, every. single. time.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    dont like obnoxious,,,

but love to flirt!!

I mean flirt though,, not blatant attempts at some kind of sexual interaction.
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    Lol at all the advice. I was just curious on others' opinion on it yet I get hit with all this advice I never asked for! I can obviously handle the flirting, I'm just saying I don't like it. Not saying "how do I deal with it?" Because I know how to deal, I don't have an issue hearing it to be honest, it's just not preferable to small talk for me ...

LOL thanks for the advice I guess?
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Lol at all the advice. I was just curious on others' opinion on it yet I get hit with all this advice I never asked for! I can obviously handle the flirting, I'm just saying I don't like it. Not saying "how do I deal with it?" Because I know how to deal, I don't have an issue hearing it to be honest, it's just not preferable to small talk for me ...

I hate flirting.
    Unless the one flirting I find attractive.

Am I right? ;)
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options

I hate flirting.

Am I right? ;)

Agree
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options

I hate flirting.

Am I right? ;)

I think you're right.
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Too many people confuse being nice with flirting now-a-days

That is soooooo true. I am a southerner and we talk to everyone. When I moved away from Alabama I noticed that people always thought I was flirting when I was really just being friendly. I guess some parts of the country think you are either flirting or that you want something from them when you talk to them. :)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I never flirted or hit on a women in my life and I just turned 33 last Friday.I just figure since I am fat and in my mind ugly that they would think it would be weird or creepy but I am also really shy as well so I live in my head and talk myself out of it.It takes courage to go up to a women.Women for some reason don't do it but they have the pick of the litter as we men just wait in line.
    You know, I have no idea where you got that idea from. The same way as there are men with low self-esteem, there are plenty of...
    -snip-

I don't know whether to give you a high-five for this being so well strung together, or a hug for what I can relate to.
    Both? Thanks, that was nicely put. (I cut out most of my long comment from the quote.)

As for the topic, I had to think about my own view a bit. If someone flirts heavily and has fun whilst doing so, good for them. Personally I have connected very obvious and/or coarse flirtation with the wish to spend a night together so to speak. No judgement if that floats your boat, but I really like the more subtle and slow, it seems so much more interesting to me. And you actually get to know someone, step into his brain. It's like when showing everything one has got through extremely revealing clothing; there is nothing left for the fantasy and I find that boring. Again, whatever floats the boat, it's just not my thing. I realise I'm in a minority today, because many women, who are quite more "out there" seem to be the standard of hotness and if I go to a bar, I'm practically invisible with my own attitude and the clothes I'm wearing. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong decade :)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Is it too much to ask for a slap on the *kitten* and a free pizza from a stranger every so often?
  • TX_Thundercat
    TX_Thundercat Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    Is it too much to ask for a slap on the *kitten* and a free pizza from a stranger every so often?

C'mere you!
  • morekettlebell
    Options

That is soooooo true. I am a southerner and we talk to everyone. When I moved away from Alabama I noticed that people always thought I was flirting when I was really just being friendly. I guess some parts of the country think you are either flirting or that you want something from them when you talk to them. :)

So true, southern girls and boys are just being nice sometimes!!!

But to answer the thread....Being flirted with is flattering as long as it isn't an obnoxious attempt to sleep with you.
    Complimenting someone on the body they have worked so hard to achieve or maintain should be well received and I choose to take that approach.
  • DOM4U
    DOM4U Posts: 239
    Options
    Too many people confuse being nice with flirting

Too many people confuse flirting with being nice

There I fixed it ;)
  • brianmccon
    brianmccon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Y
  • DOM4U
    DOM4U Posts: 239
    Options
    Y ask y
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

So true, southern girls and boys are just being nice sometimes!!!

But to answer the thread....Being flirted with is flattering as long as it isn't an obnoxious attempt to sleep with you.
    Complimenting someone on the body they have worked so hard to achieve or maintain should be well received and I choose to take that approach.

Having spent most of my formative years, and then some, in the South, Southern men are well versed in the art of flirting, and so are Southern women. Some of them flirt all the time. Constantly even. The kicker is that some of them don't know how to shut it off, but others are experts at it. They say "I was just being nice…." but then you hear them talk to their friends or to a man or woman they aren't attracted to, and it's an entirely different ballgame. Some of them can even drop the deep south accent in less than a breath.

That dog don't hunt. Of course, flirting really just means chatting up a pretty woman or a good-looking man, and making flattering remarks. You don't have to have any ulterior motives. And in most cases, once the talking stops, nobody even thinks about the other person.

TL;DR version: BS. The woman* just flirts a lot because it's ingrained in her* by being raised in the South.

Edit because it helps to go up and check that this is a conversation between two southern women well versed in the art of flirting.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    It makes me feel special as it rarely happens. It shocked me the first few times that someone found me attractive on here because I had never really heard that before.

IMO it is nice to go from feeling average-to-not good looking and start feeling like you may be reasonably attractive.

Really? You're adorable.

^Agreed.

I dont really know how I feel about being hit on. In the moment, I feel uncomfortable. Once I turn them down...I feel pretty awesome! (I typically turn down guys because I already have a boyfriend that I am completely loyal to.)
  • tjthegreatone
    tjthegreatone Posts: 324
    Options
    I'm a t-rex! No one flirts with me on here :laugh:

In real life...too impervious to know if/when it happens. By my reckoning, no one's hit on me in the last 10 years but logically that can't be true so I'm probably just blind or too busy worrying if my shirt's inside-out or underwear showing when people stare/smile at me.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

C'mere you!

:love: *flings himself towards you*
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I hate it when other people interact with me in any way. I'm totally with you on this.