Has anyone lost weight by walking?

Replies

• I have been walking (using fitbit flex) since apr. 19,2014 and have lost 30 lbs so far.
  • I have a fitbit flex and it connects to this site so I enter food on this site and on fitbit.com it calculates calories in and out- you set a goal and it will give you a happy face when the goal is reached. if you go to the site-free, you can look around and see if it will be something you can use.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Sure you can lose weight walking. Before we had the garden I used to walk a 4.7 mile loop around our farm every day or two, and it worked well, was fun and easy. (sigh) don't have time for that anymore.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    I have been walking alot for a coulple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone has had alot of weight loss with walking -and how long did it take?

It most certainly can aid in your weightloss, it is an excellent form of exercise!

YES! I had to stop working out because of a surgery, and for four weeks that's all I did and lost about 7-8lbs! Make sure you're booking it and still maintaining your diet properly. Any movement is better than none.
  • ink_b1tch
    ink_b1tch Posts: 101
    I have been walking alot for a coulple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone has had alot of weight loss with walking -and how long did it take?
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Walking has always been my primary exercise...

it's taken me 3 years to lose 30lb....

but 30 is all i really had to lose, so it's a bigger accomplishment for me than it sounds like it should be.
  • ink_b1tch
    ink_b1tch Posts: 101

Yes, do to medical reason's walking is my only option really for exercise. I walk on average 3 to 4 miles every walk which equals out to be between 9 and 12 miles a week. I walk at a very brisk pace. By doing this as well as reducing calorie intake the weight should melt away. However, I will say it is a bit slower process then other exercising 1=276 calories burned for me. Hope this helps!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    eating less than you need will be what causes u to lose weight.
    Exercise is optional
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    I believe loosing weight by walking is by far the easiest and cheapest and popular way to loose. But myself I like to run. Of course maintaining a calorie deficit is what really helps. Excersise helps you achieve that deficit without starving yourself, and increases your overall health and mental state.
  • DanNight
    DanNight Posts: 74 Member
    All my weight has been from walking. I use a FItBit Zip to track steps to reach my goals and (of course) I use MFP to track my food.

43 pounds since September of 2013.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Bump
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    yeah me... I started out walking and still do it everyday. It is really about eating at a calories deficit but waling is a great way to burn calories and keep you in cardio tip top shape.

Its almost my one year mark as of Wednesday.
  • Yes 30 lbs. Thus year I eat clean n walk about an hr n a half almost every day.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    52 pounds down… walking is my sole form of cardio. But I will say that I also do strength training and eat at a deficit too.
  • jambo1001
    jambo1001 Posts: 16 Member
    my first 45 lbs loss, walking was the only exercise I did, usually 3-5 miles a day. coupled with meticulous food weighing and logging, worked very well. I recently started C25K (on week 7)however I still walk on most of my off days, and often in the afternoon of my run days. walking has become a valued relaxation tool
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Most of the exercise I've done in the past year has been walking. Seems to have had an effect on me.
  • Sadi_Kalen
    Sadi_Kalen Posts: 33 Member
    I think walking is great-remember the basic elements of getting fit though and change the intensity, time and length of what you're doing over time. In other words, walking 30 minutes a day at 3 mph may be wonderful for someone to start at, then the next week, walk 3.5 mph for 5 minutes of the walk. Little changes like that will help boost fitness levels.

sound advice! i've just started to increase the amount of times i walk each week and have found a route that burns 200 calories already! very easy to do and next week i will increase the walk by another mile and see how that goes. i have walked my entire life and my heaviest weight waz 80kg (180lb) so there's some truth to walking being helpful for keeping the weight off. because i walk so much anyway i've started at a longer route but i enjoy walking, it's low impact and because i injured myself last year with running and high impact exercises i'm being more patient with myself now and sticking to walking. in my first 5 weeks of this lifestyle change, increasing my walking helped me burn 11bs! i highly recommend walking and low-impact cardio for anyone who is 30+lbs overweight because it's far less stressful on the joints.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Walking is a great way to get into shape.

I just signed up for a 5 km walk/run for the cure in October.

This will give me the motivation to keep going.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    My ex did. She lost like 30 lbs between walking and yoga.
  • GoGoGirl1111
    GoGoGirl1111 Posts: 46 Member
    Walking is a great weight loss exercise: And also great for the heart:

Keep Walking :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!