High carb vegan diet

Options
167891012»

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    The way the original post was worded may seem off putting to some people, but it is scientifically shown that a whole food plant based diet is the healthiest way to eat. To see that information, read The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, PhD which is the largest sixty on nutrition and health ever done. If you don't want to have to read through all the details, the video Forks Over Knives is a condensed and more entertaining source of some of the information.

The china study has been completely debunked I'm afraid and as for forks over knives :noway:

Feel free to quote some actually peer reviewed sources and studies instead of cherry-picking books and documentaries that have a strong bias.
  • greenwrapgirl
    Options
    The China Study had not been debunked. There are people that have attempted to debunk it with wrong information. All of his work was peer reviewed and if you actually take the time to read all of the information and peer reviews of his individual research instead of just listening to whatever any person says, you can't ignore the evidence. I always look up both points of view, look at how the research was done, look at who funds the research, who funds the people funding the research, before accepting anything as truth. I no longer worry about what the latest research has to say. I am confident that whole food plant based is the healthiest way to eat.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Okay, we all can agree to disagree. If you guys want to rely on the limits of selectively funded studies (usually by meat, dairy, other profitable industries) then go ahead an enjoy. You look great, and you're seeing your results. No wonder you think we're crazy. Just have to say, I bet your diet isn't nearly as tasty and abundant as mine. :laugh: :drinker: :laugh:

I would recommend "The Starch Solution" by Dr. John McDougall, "80/10/10" by Dr. Doug Graham, "Engine 2 Diet" by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, "Get Healthy Go Vegan" by Dr. Neal Barnard ...yes, THIS IS proven and explained by science, and it works long term. All these doctors are lean and fit. Try and find a lean and fit doctor that promotes carb restriction.

What an incredibly juvenile thing to say.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Since I have celiac disease this type of diet would not be suitable for me. Besides, I love meat.

As others have said, there is nothing inherent in a vegan diet that would make you lose weight, independent of calories.
  • ajones1965
    ajones1965 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I eat a meat free diet, the only dairy I have is whey protein after exercise. I have found it a useful diet to follow as I try to eat a large proportion of whole foods. Cheese was always something I over ate, I don't like meat. I find that my options can be limited and as such I tend to be conscious of what I eat and make sensible choices. I eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, whole grains, soy, nuts ,beans etc I watch my fat intake and I don't cook with oil but I do eat nuts, so get healthy fat..I have had some good results in terms of weight loss and improved health. I no longer suffer from reflux and digestive problems, my skin is better and most importantly my blood sugar is much better controlled. It isn't for everybody. This is purely my experience of this type of eating.
  • somethingsemioriginal
    Options
    what is your primary source of protein? do you consume all the essential amino acids required by us.

The 10 amino acids that humans can produce are alanine, asparagine, aspartic acid, cysteine, glutamic acid, glutamine, glycine, proline, serine and tyrosine. Tyrosine is produced from phenylalanine, so if the diet is deficient in phenylalanine, tyrosine will be required as well. The essential amino acids are arginine (required for the young, but not for adults), histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine. These amino acids are required in the diet.

If you only do vegan, no wonder you have to eat 4000 cals a day as you must have to complement a lot of foods to make up for the nutrition. Plus you would have to take supplements high in iron as iron from plant sources is not very well absorbed by human body.

As far as care for the animals is concerned, what about the care for the plants. So if all started eating like you are doing (4000 cals/day) or more, then there would not be enough plants to feed the vegan brigade. Plus, dont you know that even plants feel pain as has been proven in various lab experiments. So just because they are mute and cant move, its ok for you to eat their raw limbs aka raw veggies?!

Therefore, do yourself a favour, stop preaching, live and let live

No study has ever shown that plants can "feel" pain. While they can respond to stimuli, they lack a central nervous system and brain in order to "feel" anything.
  • diabolick12
    diabolick12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Could you give us an example of your eating plan? I think it would help to "calm" the querelle here.

What do you have at your meals? Most importantly what do you snack on?
    Seen that some commercial junk food can be vegan, what are your boundaries?

I have started a vegan (sugar free and almost alcohol free) diet plan which I intend to follow for the next 2 or 3 week (hey I'm on day1 so I'm just being rational). We could share meal plans?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    sorta old thread is old.

I lost a lot of weight when i went raw/vegan. Then my doctor said I wasn't very good at it. She said (1) she could prescribe me fancy supplements and pills.

Or (2) I could eat meat a couple times a week.

<-- Flexitarian