vent--There are too many skinny people at the gym

Options

Replies

• kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    God, this is possibly the worst post I've ever read on MFP.

Why is this ok? You don't know anything about anyone else there. Maybe they were fat, maybe they weren't. Maybe they're there to pick up men. Maybe they like putting makeup on before they go on a machine. Maybe they are big huge lunks who enjoy picking things up and putting them down. Maybe they are trying to work off diabetes. Maybe they just like to run. Maybe they are going to go home to half a pizza, maybe they are going home to 5 kids and a dirty kitchen.

Who gives a flying leap? Get over yourself.

But hey, I'm just a fat girl venting.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I never see skinny people at the gym. I see fit people and fat people trying to get fit.

^^This - very well said! :smile:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    ....and their are too many fat people at Burger King,......maybe there is a connection here?
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ....and their are too many fat people at Burger King,......maybe there is a connection here?

This is very true. Not saying this is the be all end all rule, but I got this way by hanging out at the food court/restaurant and sitting on my couch. I've decided to haul my rear to my make shift home gym or my neighbourhood bike path in order to be one of those skinny people at the gym.

Don't hate, congratulate!
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is that this thread makes me glad I saved calories today so I could have my gelato tonight - Sea Salt Caramel. Yum!

sea. salt. caramel. OH. MY. GOD.

I am almost obsessed. I even went to other flavors for two cartons of ice cream to see how they tasted, and I just kept thinking, it's not sea salt caramel. But it's ok. The last time I needed ice cream - sea salt caramel ended up in my cart (and now I need to buy more, because I know there is less than I budgeted for left in the carton.) I also add caramel syrup on top, because caramel.

Check out SmittenKitchen.com for a really easy recipe for salted caramel sauce.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I don't like being called skinny...

I'm a meathead accountant.

I'm a skinny accountant.

:frown:

:kicks rocks:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    God, this is possibly the worst post I've ever read on MFP.

Why is this ok? You don't know anything about anyone else there. Maybe they were fat, maybe they weren't. Maybe they're there to pick up men. Maybe they like putting makeup on before they go on a machine. Maybe they are big huge lunks who enjoy picking things up and putting them down. Maybe they are trying to work off diabetes. Maybe they just like to run. Maybe they are going to go home to half a pizza, maybe they are going home to 5 kids and a dirty kitchen.

Who gives a flying leap? Get over yourself.

But hey, I'm just a fat girl venting.

Great. This means I now have to reread what you wrote and look for the underlying meaning.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    BAH:angry:

Saying that fit people intimidate you is one thing.

Calling someone a trophy wife implies that she has no redeeming qualities other than her looks.

It is offensive.
    ^i don't get this - 'trophy wife' should be a badge worn with honor. - youth and beauty are fleeting ppl.
    You don't get a lot. It is an incredibly offensive term.

:noway: :laugh:
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Calling someone Joe Meat Head and Trophy wife is NO Better than someone saying something rude about an over weight person. You do not know them or their situation! Someone sounds a little green!! Worry about yourself. I have a lot of weight to lose and I prefer to look at people more fit than I am as motivation!
  • tart_of_darkness
    Options
    I actually only hate it when the gym is filled with people who use MFP. The place where "would you screw the person who posted above you" threads are a-ok, but "I feel insecure going to the gym" threads are followed by eighteen pages of "you're just jealous" posts and humblebrags.

By comparison, meathead and trophy wife are fairly innocuous.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I actually only hate it when the gym is filled with people who use MFP. The place where "would you screw the person who posted above you" threads are a-ok, but "I feel insecure going to the gym" threads are followed by eighteen pages of "you're just jealous" posts and humblebrags.

Funny, I read the thread from the beginning, I somehow missed the "you're just jealous and humblebrags.

off to re-read.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I don't like being called skinny...

I'm a meathead accountant.
    I used to be smart, but using a barbell turned me into a meathead.
    caliperfail_zps691abbf2.gif
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Right, though!? This is so weird. The topic creator obviously isn't that serious about enforcing weight restrictions on gym memberships, she is VENTING about an INSECURITY, and so many people attacked her for it. It makes no sense to me considering this is a website for weightloss and fitness - people act like what she said isn't a common mindset.

And people comparing the judgement of overweight people to those who are fit....riiiight, it's totally the same. Calling a woman a trophy wife is exactly the same as calling someone else a whale. I'm sure someone who's fit and thin would be oh so offended by such a scathing and judgmental remark.

There have been plenty of times where I've jokingly said something to a friend like, "Look at those skinny *****es", but I don't mean anything by that really, because I want to be like them. I'd never actually insult someone to their face or judge them for being fit, and I don't think the TC would either. For all the talk of humor and understanding people do on this site, people seem to take some things too seriously.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Right, though!? This is so weird. The topic creator obviously isn't that serious about enforcing weight restrictions on gym memberships, she is VENTING about an INSECURITY, and so many people attacked her for it. It makes no sense to me considering this is a website for weightloss and fitness - people act like what she said isn't a common mindset.

And people comparing the judgement of overweight people to those who are fit....riiiight, it's totally the same. Calling a woman a trophy wife is exactly the same as calling someone else a whale. I'm sure someone who's fit and thin would be oh so offended by such a scathing and judgmental remark.

There have been plenty of times where I've jokingly said something to a friend like, "Look at those skinny *****es", but I don't mean anything by that really, because I want to be like them. I'd never actually insult someone to their face or judge them for being fit, and I don't think the TC would either. For all the talk of humor and understanding people do on this site, people seem to take some things too seriously.

Right though?

"Trophy wife is an informal term for a wife, usually young and attractive, who is regarded as a status symbol for the husband, who is often older and wealthy. The term trophy husband is the male equivalent.

Referring to a spouse as a trophy wife usually reflects negatively on the character or personality of the husband, and has a connotation of narcissism and desire to impress others, and that the husband would not be able to attract the sexual interest of the attractive woman but for his wealth or position. It can also be used to imply that the trophy wife in question has little personal merit besides her physical attractiveness, does very little of substance outside of remaining attractive, requires substantial costs for maintaining her appearance and is in some ways synonymous with the term "gold digger.""

"Meathead - A stupid person:"

That is so inoffensive. I'm mean, who wouldn't want to be called either of those things, as long as you are thin, who cares? Totally not the same thing as calling someone a whale, so it is perfectly ok.
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options

Right though?

"Trophy wife is an informal term for a wife, usually young and attractive, who is regarded as a status symbol for the husband, who is often older and wealthy. The term trophy husband is the male equivalent.

Referring to a spouse as a trophy wife usually reflects negatively on the character or personality of the husband, and has a connotation of narcissism and desire to impress others, and that the husband would not be able to attract the sexual interest of the attractive woman but for his wealth or position. It can also be used to imply that the trophy wife in question has little personal merit besides her physical attractiveness, does very little of substance outside of remaining attractive, requires substantial costs for maintaining her appearance and is in some ways synonymous with the term "gold digger.""

That is so inoffensive. I'm mean, who wouldn't want to be called either of those things, as long as you are thin, who cares?

I know what the words mean, friend, I just don't think they are *that* scathing as some are implying. I'd rather be called a trophy wife/meathead because someone is being envious of my body rather than be called a pig because someone is disgusted by it - but hey, that's just me.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Right though?

That is so inoffensive. I'm mean, who wouldn't want to be called either of those things, as long as you are thin, who cares?

I know what the words mean, friend, I just don't think they are *that* scathing as some are implying. I'd rather be called a trophy wife/meathead because someone is being envious of my body rather than be called a pig because someone is disgusted by it - but hey, that's just me.

So as long as it is done out of envy it is ok? Gotcha.

Personally, I'd rather not be called either. Silly me, I just thought it was wrong to shame anybody based on their looks regardless of reasoning.
  • st0rmagedd0n
    st0rmagedd0n Posts: 417 Member
    Options

You're right. That's just you.

For me, and for many other people, being called names, names that might not offend you, would really offend them, which is why we don't do it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Right though?

So as long as it is done out of envy it is ok? Gotcha.

Personally, I'd rather not be called either. Silly me, I just thought it was wrong to shame anybody based on their looks regardless of reasoning.

Yeah. This isn't really a debate on an either or situation. As 3dogs said, shaming anyone based on their looks regardless of reason is just messed up.
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options

You're right. That's just you.

For me, and for many other people, being called names, names that might not offend you, would really offend them, which is why we don't do it.

I completely agree. I don't call people names either unless I'm upset or feel they deserve it, or I'm just joking. Pretty sure most people work in a similar format. I'm not saying it's okay to make offensive remarks about someones looks, I just think that people made a mountain out of a molehill here.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    If only the test for offensiveness was what personally offended me and only me. I suppose I could also create a hierarchy of offensiveness for everyone to use and then expect everyone else to adhere to it...

...but that would just be silly, right?