Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Has anyone lost weight by walking?

Replies

• I have a fitbit flex and it connects to this site so I enter food on this site and on fitbit.com it calculates calories in and out- you set a goal and it will give you a happy face when the goal is reached. if you go to the site-free, you can look around and see if it will be something you can use.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Sure you can lose weight walking. Before we had the garden I used to walk a 4.7 mile loop around our farm every day or two, and it worked well, was fun and easy. (sigh) don't have time for that anymore.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    I have been walking alot for a coulple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone has had alot of weight loss with walking -and how long did it take?

It most certainly can aid in your weightloss, it is an excellent form of exercise!

YES! I had to stop working out because of a surgery, and for four weeks that's all I did and lost about 7-8lbs! Make sure you're booking it and still maintaining your diet properly. Any movement is better than none.
  • ink_b1tch
    ink_b1tch Posts: 101
    I have been walking alot for a coulple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone has had alot of weight loss with walking -and how long did it take?
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,670 Member
    Walking has always been my primary exercise...

it's taken me 3 years to lose 30lb....

but 30 is all i really had to lose, so it's a bigger accomplishment for me than it sounds like it should be.
  • ink_b1tch
    ink_b1tch Posts: 101

Yes, do to medical reason's walking is my only option really for exercise. I walk on average 3 to 4 miles every walk which equals out to be between 9 and 12 miles a week. I walk at a very brisk pace. By doing this as well as reducing calorie intake the weight should melt away. However, I will say it is a bit slower process then other exercising 1=276 calories burned for me. Hope this helps!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    eating less than you need will be what causes u to lose weight.
    Exercise is optional
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    I believe loosing weight by walking is by far the easiest and cheapest and popular way to loose. But myself I like to run. Of course maintaining a calorie deficit is what really helps. Excersise helps you achieve that deficit without starving yourself, and increases your overall health and mental state.
  • DanNight
    DanNight Posts: 74 Member
    All my weight has been from walking. I use a FItBit Zip to track steps to reach my goals and (of course) I use MFP to track my food.

43 pounds since September of 2013.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Bump
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,268 Member
    yeah me... I started out walking and still do it everyday. It is really about eating at a calories deficit but waling is a great way to burn calories and keep you in cardio tip top shape.

Its almost my one year mark as of Wednesday.
  • Yes 30 lbs. Thus year I eat clean n walk about an hr n a half almost every day.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    52 pounds down… walking is my sole form of cardio. But I will say that I also do strength training and eat at a deficit too.
  • jambo1001
    jambo1001 Posts: 16 Member
    my first 45 lbs loss, walking was the only exercise I did, usually 3-5 miles a day. coupled with meticulous food weighing and logging, worked very well. I recently started C25K (on week 7)however I still walk on most of my off days, and often in the afternoon of my run days. walking has become a valued relaxation tool
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Most of the exercise I've done in the past year has been walking. Seems to have had an effect on me.
  • Sadi_Kalen
    Sadi_Kalen Posts: 33 Member
    I think walking is great-remember the basic elements of getting fit though and change the intensity, time and length of what you're doing over time. In other words, walking 30 minutes a day at 3 mph may be wonderful for someone to start at, then the next week, walk 3.5 mph for 5 minutes of the walk. Little changes like that will help boost fitness levels.

sound advice! i've just started to increase the amount of times i walk each week and have found a route that burns 200 calories already! very easy to do and next week i will increase the walk by another mile and see how that goes. i have walked my entire life and my heaviest weight waz 80kg (180lb) so there's some truth to walking being helpful for keeping the weight off. because i walk so much anyway i've started at a longer route but i enjoy walking, it's low impact and because i injured myself last year with running and high impact exercises i'm being more patient with myself now and sticking to walking. in my first 5 weeks of this lifestyle change, increasing my walking helped me burn 11bs! i highly recommend walking and low-impact cardio for anyone who is 30+lbs overweight because it's far less stressful on the joints.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Walking is a great way to get into shape.

I just signed up for a 5 km walk/run for the cure in October.

This will give me the motivation to keep going.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    My ex did. She lost like 30 lbs between walking and yoga.
  • GoGoGirl1111
    GoGoGirl1111 Posts: 48 Member
    Walking is a great weight loss exercise: And also great for the heart:

Keep Walking :)
  • gilmore606
    gilmore606 Posts: 45 Member
    74 days bro good luck
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!