Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Real quick question

@TrojanBB
    What is your height?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Squats have about zero relevance. Deadlifts are much more cns taxing. Do any successful powerlifters, let alone bodybuilders, make good progress Deadlifting twice a week? Nevet heard of a single one who preferred that over once evey week or better yet, every 2weeks. 6x weekly and you'll be removing weight every workout. Couple that with a volume bodybuilding split and deadlifts every week or more are just plain stupid if mass is the goal.

I'm sure glad my body recognized the difference between picking up up-to-120 pound bales of hay off the ground/putting them on a waist-high trailer and deadlifting. Otherwise, by the end of the hay season, I wouldn't have been able to pick up even the lighter bales.

are you seriously trying to compare lifting 120 POUND (lol 120!) to deadlifting low rep MAXES !? (Which is what most people do when deadliftng, it lends itself to maximal effort lifting, not 8-10 rep multiple set style lifting)

Come on man. The deadlift performed at MAX weight, inlcuding failures which is bound to happen often when attepting maxes) is particularly taxing because of the mechanics of the lift, the maximal effort, AND the DEAD PAUSE.

The dead pause at each rep, or every time in the case of maxes, is MUCH more cns taxing than letting the elasticity of the muscles contribute to the rep like in almost every other lift. Just like box squats are more taxing than a normal back squat.. Just like paused benches are more taxing

In my defense, I weighed ~105 pounds then.

And for the record, I reached failure many times during each day.

And each of these bales were at a dead pause when I approached them. Every single one of them.

I'm just not convinced that deadlifting is "special" in re CNS recovery impairment. I suspect it is more of a total workload issue and that it wouldn't be that difficult to program for multiple deadlift sessions per week assuming the overall program was appropriate...but I'll admit, I'm not coming into this with a pile of support for my beliefs, so feel free to smack me around with science and I'll slink away quietly.

TL;DR - stop crapping on my story about the good old days.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    dbmata did those studies compare the addition of deadlifts to an existing volume bodybuilding split? And then compare growth and recovery before and after?

No? Ok, so zero relevance. I read your link. It doesnt support or debunk my belief in any way.
    Real quick question

@TrojanBB
    What is your height?

5'11"
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    When I think elite- I think the top levels of competitive lifters- nationally and for worlds. and not TEAM lifts- but YOU as a lifter.

I don't think you need to be strong to be competitive- anyone who wants to can and should compete.

And I don't think you need to be competitive to be strong or to be considered strong.

But I don't think just because you're stronger than you the average lifter that it makes you elite... I personally do not- and it seems Sarau seems to be in the same boat in terms of how we feel about our lifting.. that just because you're stronger than the average around you it makes you qualified as elite.

But she can answer for herself- but from those two posts which reflect how I feel about it- seems to me we have similar views on the subject.

TBH, I don't think theres anything wrong with the majority of that viewpoint. I guess Im just also open to the viewpoint that some might suggest that if you can beat 99%+ of the planet at something you could be considered elite. Its not how I would typically think about it, but I can see the argument.

The distinction isn't just stronger than average, or stronger than those around you - they took lifting data based on peoples lifting experience, and the category they called elite is for "athletes involved in the strength sports"
  • MityMax96
    Do you see most weight trainners at the gym doing deadlifts?

At my gym, yes. Ours is locally owned gym, not a chain. Lots of people deadlift - trainers, women, men, you name it. We have one small and one large deadlift mat. Deadlifts are common, as are snatches and cleans. Olympic lifts abound.

I don't know about other gyms. I attended a chain gym for a month - no one deadlifted. It only had one squat rack, and that single Olympic barbell was always being used by folks for benching or curls, so I switched to my current gym.

I am very grateful for my gym....
    It used to be Gold's Gym, but then got bought out for some reason...
    Now it is One Life
    But they have areas for Olympic style lifts...
    As well as Crossfit stuff if that is your thing...so from time to time, I will go out back and flip tires or push sleds

I just usually grab a squat rack and do my DLs
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    very excited to build my own home gym. i'm planning on getting bumper plates, but if all you expect to do is deadlifts, maybe some clean and press.... and perhaps whatever else might come up under crossfit, do you really NEED bumper plates? especially if your already on a 3/4" rubber mat?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    did those studies compare the addition of deadlifts to an existing volume bodybuilding split?

No? Ok, so zero relevance.
    Ok, I also doubt we can find a study that a butterfly beating its wings in Delaware affects the price of bacon in Jerusalem. Non one that I saw made any claim other than you saying deads are bad.

Then show you have studies that adding deadlifts into a program will result in these massively deleterious effects on the CNS.

You can't. You made a bad claim, I even tried to help you out. It's done.
  • MityMax96

Real quick question

@TrojanBB
    What is your height?

5'11"

Ok

Trying to get an idea of things

I am at 6'1"
    My goal is to hit or surpass 400#
    Just it sucks w/ a long and lanky frame
  • trojan_bb
    did those studies compare the addition of deadlifts to an existing volume bodybuilding split?

Ok, I also doubt we can find a claim that a butterfly beating its wings in Delaware affects the price of bacon in Jerusalem. Non one that I saw made any claim other than you saying deads are bad.

Then show you have studies that adding deadlifts into a program will result in these massively deleterious effects on the CNS.

the guy I originally quoted, which I mistakenly thought was you in my previous post but was actually someone else who hasnt replied since , originally said that when training for aesthetics, adding deadlifts would INCREASE growth and "improve the cns". I claim the opposite occurs, if everything else is held constant. Thats' it
  • dbmata

Ok, I also doubt we can find a claim that a butterfly beating its wings in Delaware affects the price of bacon in Jerusalem. Non one that I saw made any claim other than you saying deads are bad.

the guy I originally quoted, which I mistakenly thought was you in my previous post but was actually someone else who hasnt replied since , originally said that when training for aesthetics, adding deadlifts would INCREASE growth and "improve the cns". I claim the opposite occurs, if everything else is held constant. Thats' it

Fair enough. I must have missed that. What I saw was your statement that deads are negative for the CNS. I know nothing about aesthetic lifting, other than the results are amazing, so I'll go with you being the expert on that one.
  • jofjltncb6
    very excited to build my own home gym. i'm planning on getting bumper plates, but if all you expect to do is deadlifts, maybe some clean and press.... and perhaps whatever else might come up under crossfit, do you really NEED bumper plates? especially if your already on a 3/4" rubber mat?

Yes. Dropping iron plates on just a 3/4" rubber mat 1) will make a lot of noise, 2) might damage the plates/bar (not sure about this one but it seems plausible), and 3) will make a lot of noise. I've actually been told that a 3/4" rubber mat over concrete *and* bumper plates will be too hard and that I should put another subfloor under the matting, but I don't believe that and plan to just learn for myself. I'll let you know in a month or two when I finally get around to hauling 14 horse stall mats into my basement and cutting them to fit my gym area.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member

Yes. Dropping iron plates on just a 3/4" rubber mat 1) will make a lot of noise, 2) might damage the plates/bar (not sure about this one but it seems plausible), and 3) will make a lot of noise. I've actually been told that a 3/4" rubber mat over concrete *and* bumper plates will be too hard and that I should put another subfloor under the matting, but I don't believe that and plan to just learn for myself. I'll let you know in a month or two when I finally get around to hauling 14 horse stall mats into my basement and cutting them to fit my gym area.

thats what i'm using the stall mats. i could double up to do a mini 'platform' so to speak.

i don't really plan on dropping the weight as a matter of course, only if i really have to in order to avoid injury.

or am i just revealing incredible naiveté about Oly lifts and dropping the weight is common out of necessity? I"m thinking 999 times out of 1000 i'm not going to be dropping the weight
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member

If you want to do oly lifts like clean and press, you probably do need bumpers because dropping metal plates from overhead is a bad idea. And know that bumpers get very expensive and they wear out pretty fast (the area around the ring in the center is usually what gives out), so if you're just doing deadlifts, squats, press, bench and the like, don't waste your money on bumpers and just get a decent mat and steel plates and you're golden. I went with american-made iron plates and still paid quite a bit - try to buy a decent amount of weight in quality bumper plates and you'll easily be dropping over thousand dollars. Unless you're really wanting to get into oly lifts, I'd skip the bumpers for now.

As for the mats, you can do horse stall mats and while they're cheap, they typically have a funky smell. Personally I put together a surface using 20"x20"x2" rubber tiles and they do a pretty solid job absorbing the impact.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    400lbs is the standard for not being a novice any more for men in regards to powerlifting. (yes BW matters obviously) I haven't had any male who has trained with me for a year consistently not able to deadlift 400lbs for 1 rep.

I posted this to Sara but this is the standards for GPC in Australia. A LOT harder to be "elite". At a guess, I'd probably say there are about 20 people in GPC who have made the elite total.

It's in kg :)
    http://gpcaustralia.com/index.php/gradings/253-gpc-raw-standards
  • jofjltncb6
    >$1000??? Either you lift a lot more than I do or you're buying your bumpers from the wrong place.

Also, at a certain point, you can add some of your iron plates to the bar.

Finally, while certain weights do tend to wear out more quickly than others (*cough*10s*cough*), the heavier plates seem to hold up really well. Probably the greater diameter/surface area of contact between the bushing and the plate.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    You're right. That number was a bit off - I missed that they already included shipping when I quickly checked the current pricing - but not too far out of line, depending on what you're getting and how much you're getting. Rogue does have the entry-level Hi-temps that you can get a reasonable amount of for well under a grand, but beyond that the prices go up pretty quickly. If Oly lifts are your goal, I'd say they're a must, but if you're thinking "I might want to learn oly lifts at some point in the future", I'd just stick with metal plates for now. You're not going to need bumpers to do things like deadlifts, and while you can get bumpers for less than my original misquoted price, you can get iron for a helluva lot less than that original misquoted price and they'll pretty much never wear out.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    I saw this story on Yahoo and it seems to be making the rounds on other news and entertainment sites. It started when Hugh posted an Instagram video deadlifting 400 pounds. I'm not sure if he did it more than once because I can't get the video to load on my phone.

At first I didn't think that was a big deal. My personal best for deadlifts is 450 and I've known plenty of people that can do 500 or better. However, I do give him some extra credit for doing that at his height. He's 6'2" and deadlifting can be tricky for taller people. I'm 5'8", so I'm at a better height for deadlifts. Some articles also pointed out that he's 46. My personal best was in my 30's and I haven't deadlifted in a while.

Although Jackman has disadvantages because of age and height, he does have a great coach and access to great nutrition.

I'm wondering if anyone on MFP has an opinion on this. I've seen a lot of dedicated and well educated lifters on this site.

If you don't hear from me, I'll be at the gym working on my deadlifts.

Not impressed. I'm 6'2 and deadlift 405 for working sets and I'm nowhere as big as him, Oh wait he does have chicken legs lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Fair enough. I must have missed that. What I saw was your statement that deads are negative for the CNS. I know nothing about aesthetic lifting, other than the results are amazing, so I'll go with you being the expert on that one.

Layne Norton for one is a fan of deadlifts for building mass. So are quite a few other top competitive body builders. I have not run it but I think PHAT has deads 2 x a week.
  • dbmata
    Sara, truth be told, I'd happily dead 4x a week if it didn't wipe me out so damned much. Love that lift.
  • trojan_bb

Layne Norton for one is a fan of deadlifts for building mass. So are quite a few other top competitive body builders. I have not run it but I think PHAT has deads 2 x a week.

The PHAT routine I used and the only one I've ever seen online doesn't have any regular deadlifts. Only 8 rep Stiff legged deadlifts halfway through the lower body workout and romanian deads 8-12 reps on the other leg day.

The way the program is setup, a regular dead wouldn't work well at all in the program since it'd have to be on either a push or pull day and those days are back to back.