Rudeness of a total stranger!

Options

Replies

• caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    what did he say that was rude?

Bless your precious heart honey, you must have been raised by wolves.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    While it might seem rude to you,he may just be a fitness enthusiast looking to bring more people on his bandwagon and get company or even rub his fitness streak on others,you feel that way because you are not confident of the way you look,rise above that you will happy to brush it away.

I encountered a totally different incident like this-I was approached by a stranger saying he could get me married and gave me his visiting card for a marriage bureau,I was actually married then.Had I not been married I would have been totally offended.The fact that I was married helped my brush it away.because he was just trying to market himself.

From what you described it sounded the same to me.Kudos to you for starting the journey,be confident of yourself,let no one take your confidence down,there will be a day where you will look back and laugh at that incident.
  • jc_0324
    Options
    I would have said "who the hell asked you for your help?" Some people, the nerve!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I always liked the Anthony Hopkins quote: “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.”

Sounds like the guy was unintentionally insensitive and more concerned about building himself up. I’d probably have just said “thank you.” If I felt real hurt, I might have asked how much longer he thought it would take for him to get into shape…:)
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I would have said "who the hell asked you for your help?" Some people, the nerve!

I like going into full sarcasm mode. With a saccharine smile, say something like "No way! The gym could help me reach my weight loss goals? I never would have thought of that on my own. Thanks so much for your help! I don't know what I would have done without you."
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I've seen more "I've lost weight and I desperately want to help my friend/husband/wife/neighbor/niece/etc. lose weight, what can I do?' threads than I can shake a stick at. The answers are always the same, "there's nothing you can do unless they want help"and "mind your own business".

Yet, in this thread, it's perfectly acceptable for a total stranger to approach OP and publicly embarrass her under the guise of "helping".

Stay classy, MFP!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread exploded overnight!

OP - that guy was out of line doing what he did, whether his intentions were good or not. It was rude, I completely agree. Your coworker is awesome for sorting him out. Don't let it deter you, you keep doing you :ohwell:
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Okay - just have to say - as some others have said, you can always lose weight - that guy will always be a first rate jerk. (Actually had a few other choice words, but none that can say in mixed company, or risk being edited by the PC Police.)

Sounds like someone who's got an overly inflated opinion of himself trying to make a name for himself as being someone who can help overweight people. He probably thinks he's all that and wants the chance to prove it.

I'm sorry you had to endure that. Shows how much class you had to respond the way you did.

Really cannot believe people are doing stuff like that nowadays. Unbelievable.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    While it might seem rude to you,he may just be a fitness enthusiast looking to bring more people on his bandwagon and get company or even rub his fitness streak on others,you feel that way because you are not confident of the way you look,rise above that you will happy to brush it away.

I encountered a totally different incident like this-I was approached by a stranger saying he could get me married and gave me his visiting card for a marriage bureau,I was actually married then. Had I not been married I would have been totally offended.The fact that I was married helped my brush it away.because he was just trying to market himself.

You cannot see the irony of your own post I suspect.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    He may have been trying to do something nice and is just socially inept.

I would forget about it and get over it.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I've seen more "I've lost weight and I desperately want to help my friend/husband/wife/neighbor/niece/etc. lose weight, what can I do?' threads than I can shake a stick at. The answers are always the same, "there's nothing you can do unless they want help"and "mind your own business".

Yet, in this thread, it's perfectly acceptable for a total stranger to approach OP and publicly embarrass her under the guise of "helping".

Stay classy, MFP!

EXCELLENT point!
    I have never shaken my head in disbelief more than while reading this thread. I think I need a chiropractic adjustment.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Is there an island we can send all the super sensitive people to?

What the man did & said was WAY kinder than the kids walking around the mall were probably saying.

I had a stranger approach me with nearly the same patient words and it clicked, I NEEDED to get healthier. I grew up with nothing but enablers; who ate and drank, ate and drank and ate and drank and NEVER exercised, because us Latin people were MADE to have "curves". BS!

I had curves...padded in fat. I also had kidney and liver problems. And Hypertension. And I was exacerbating my Endometriosis. I was losing my hair and had the worse acne in my life. And OMG, the pain, I was always in pain.

But thanks to an outsider, who pointed out that I was living dangerously on the edge, I MADE the decision to take the steps to better myself for me and my health.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

This. He didn't do anything wrong. He was honestly trying to help. If you don't want help., that's fine, but he didn't say anything offensive. You chose to take offence. It's not like he came and told you to "put the sandwich down", now THAT would have been rude.

If you don't want help???? then what? You should walk away from the lunch you're eating?
    If you don't want help - then what- don't ask for it- (oh wait- that's right- she wasn't asking for help)
    if you don't want help- don't go out in public where people can see you and MIGHT be so rude as to walk up and offer to help?

She wasn't struggle with her groceries- she wasn't stuck in a grate on the side walk- she didn't drop her book bag- she didn't trip and fall- she didn't drop her salad.
    She was eating her lunch. There is no "fixing" there is no need to "help" someone eat their lunch.

No- he didn't SAY anything offensive- his actions and total arrogance in presuming he could take it upon himself to walk up to someone who was minding her own business to "fix" her.

You do realize- if you extrapolate this whole concept out to sex- the it's very easy to justify rape right?

No- sex isn't bad- IN THE RIGHT CONTEXT IT"S GREAT. Under the "assume they need help crowd" it's traumatizing rape.

I cannot under any circumstances fathom how any of you can think it's acceptable to walk up to a total stranger and tell them you cna help FIX THEM.

The words aren't the problem- his presumptuous and arrogant actions are.

We live in a society that believes it is their right to infringe upon others...whether it is diet, religion, life style or what ever it is.

People seem to have lost sight of where the line is. If it fits...step over the line...in to someone elses space.

I too find it hard to believe that there are so many that think this guy did nothing wrong...or they make excuses for him.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Is there an island we can send all the super sensitive people to?

What the man did & said was WAY kinder than the kids walking around the mall were probably saying.

I had a stranger approach me with nearly the same patient words and it clicked, I NEEDED to get healthier. I grew up with nothing but enablers; who ate and drank, ate and drank and ate and drank and NEVER exercised, because us Latin people were MADE to have "curves". BS!

I had curves...padded in fat. I also had kidney and liver problems. And Hypertension. And I was exacerbating my Endometriosis. I was losing my hair and had the worse acne in my life. And OMG, the pain, I was always in pain.

But thanks to an outsider, who pointed out that I was living dangerously on the edge, I MADE the decision to take the steps to better myself for me and my health.
    AQV9L.gif
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    He was totally out of line, specially because you were with a group of people. Now you’re going to lose all the weight and your co-workers will think the moron at the food court changed your life. Phhh sound!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Dear Prudence, I am a mid 30's, quite attractive woman who owns a multi-million dollar company. I also am disabled, walking with one or two canes. I have become accustomed to the stares I receive but in light of the ALS bucket challenge, I am now being approached by people telling me regularly how brave I am and what an inspiration I am. ALS isn't even my affliction! The last time this happened, I was in a rather important business meeting at a local restaurant. How can I respond to these well-meaning but completely inappropriate dolts?

To the "his heart was in the right place" crowd -- what about the above?

Don't have "important business meetings" in restaurants?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    the guy is an idiot. Your co-worker speaking up is great. You know what you are doing and working towards your weight goal. Don't let the guy get to you. Although the situation was bad how great to know who your real friends are. I've been there and no one can eally understand what is going on inside.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    " You don't know me well enough to say I have a 'problem'. And I get you truly believe you're helping, but you're only coming across as rude. Just thought you should know so that you don't make the mistake of approaching another stranger the way you just approached me. Have a nice day/Screw off. "

It's like a mantra now. I can't tell you how many times I've said it to people. 80 lbs ago and present day/weight. :)
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options

This. He didn't do anything wrong. He was honestly trying to help. If you don't want help., that's fine, but he didn't say anything offensive. You chose to take offence. It's not like he came and told you to "put the sandwich down", now THAT would have been rude.

It's one thing to ask someone for help and receive it . I don't see anywhere in the OPs post where she asked for help. She was going about her daily life. How can you offer help to someone you don't even know the first thing about? That's not being helpful. The stranger was making assumptions about the OP.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the other comments yet, but I would venture a guess this dude was once obese and was successful in getting in shape.
    Kind of like a new non-smoker, or a new born again Xtian, lol. They feel so chuffed about their change they feel the NEED to share it. He was totally out of line and I hope he listened to what your co-worker said.

Brush it off. And good for you on your weight loss!!! :)