Pregnancy 2011 - March

Options

Replies

• Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I have been enjoying many hot baths to try and calm things down.

I'm new at all this....but I thought we weren't supposed to take hot baths when we are pregnant? I'm not judging...I'm just asking.

You are not supposed to in your first trimester, later in pregnancy it helps alot with contractions and other pain.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

Can't orgasm, not pleasurable and not exactly painful but penetration felt more like getting it clamped open for a pap smear. How do you check your cervix? This has only been this week, I have been feeling like I am in labor but it doesnt get intense so it must be the prodromal part, wondering if it is causing cervical change. How on earth do you deal with this? It is so miserable when you can't sleep for yet another reason. I have been enjoying many hot baths to try and calm things down.

Oh that is so hard. More TMI questions, but has this happened more than once and were you properly aroused. It can be a challenge at the end.

You can check your cervix after sex, nice and loose and wet, in the bath, one leg up on the tub or toilet, or squatting. Just reach in w/ two fingers, if your cervix is posterior, toward your back it will be harder to reach. Your cervix has to move anterior to give birth. Then feel the neck of your cervix. That is the length and what effaces or shortens at the end of pregnancy and/or in labor. Every women that has given birth vaginally will be slightly dilated like 1cm or so. If you can fit a fingertip into the opening of your cervix that is normal for a women already given birth vaginally. A whole finger about 2cm, two fingers 4cm. One can dilate and usually does so from the external os or opening while the interior os is not be dilated at all. If you can fit a finger all the way in you are dilated 2cm, both external and internal os.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

I'm new at all this....but I thought we weren't supposed to take hot baths when we are pregnant? I'm not judging...I'm just asking.

Hot baths every pregnancy, all through. Couldn't live w/o them.
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options

I was very worried about this, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE baths. I have kept having them the whole time so far. I just make sure they are not too hot.
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Well the same book that I read no baths I also read that I shouldn't drink my 1 cup of green tea per day....I've switched to half a cup. I can't forgo my green tea it is the only thing that keeps me "regular". I only drink water otherwise. Ugh...so many "Do's" and "Don'ts" of pregnancy to keep track of!
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options

I also had a mini panic attack...what it if it twins...and what if they are both boys....Lord please let there only be one healthy, perfect baby inside of me!

The first question I asked the ultrasound tech today was, "there's only one in there right?" :laugh:

I can't wait for my first ultrasound!! What if there are two in there??? My father in law is a twin, my hubby has cousin's who are twins (my father in law's brothers kids). Not sure if that will make any difference for me.

Edit- thought i should also mention- when my mother was pregnant with me they told her she was having twins. But at her next ultrasound there was no sign of the 2nd baby. I assume that the technology used in sonograms has changed a lot since 1984.

I did do some research and my FIL should do effect our chances at all. Twins would be exciting!!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Well the same book that I read no baths I also read that I shouldn't drink my 1 cup of green tea per day....I've switched to half a cup. I can't forgo my green tea it is the only thing that keeps me "regular". I only drink water otherwise. Ugh...so many "Do's" and "Don'ts" of pregnancy to keep track of!

I don't follow most of that, common sense dictates what I do.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    3 weeks to go--It has come so fast!!
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Heather- I get your concern considering what you have been through. I would probably exercise on the side of caution in your shoes too which is probably why I stayed away from hot baths until I hit my late 2nd trimester. This is my 3rd baby though so my body experiences lots of pain. Mamatoabunch is on # 11 so she is our expert with pregnancy here.

Debnu- so exciting, all of us ladies have been in this group together for so long.. I noticed that the postnatal group seems to have died off but we all should start one up since we are coming to the end of our pregnancy. I know that Katrina and I are looking to loose 100lbs or so afterwards so I definately want to have a post pregnancy weight loss group.

Annabelle- I am a little freaked out about checking out stuff down there, especially not knowing what I am looking for. I think I will try another position as I feel that my tummy has grown quite a bit in the last week making it even harder to find a good position. As far as how you usually handle the discomforts of this prodromal labor, any suggestions on making one self a little more comfortable? I have only really done hot baths and tylenol, the contractions have gotten stronger but ofcourse go away. I have not lost my mucus plug yet so I know that I have some time... does that change with each baby? With my other 2 I lost it about a week or so before delivery.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

Annabelle- I am a little freaked out about checking out stuff down there, especially not knowing what I am looking for. I think I will try another position as I feel that my tummy has grown quite a bit in the last week making it even harder to find a good position. As far as how you usually handle the discomforts of this prodromal labor, any suggestions on making one self a little more comfortable? I have only really done hot baths and tylenol, the contractions have gotten stronger but ofcourse go away. I have not lost my mucus plug yet so I know that I have some time... does that change with each baby? With my other 2 I lost it about a week or so before delivery.

It is part of your body, really not as big of a deal as you would think. Well I just try to keep busy. if they get too intense I drink a half glass of wine. Otherwise sleep in late pregnancy is often elusive so I take naps. That is about it, it just is and I can't change it. I have only seem my mucous plug in one pregnancy, second, in labor. Never seen it since. If you lose it is does mean baby will be here, it can regenerate itself. Can you go swimming? Are you well hydrated?
  • carina73
    carina73 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    14 pages in 3 days? really? I didn't think I've been away from this thread for 3 days. yikes!
    I've been watching my sister's 27 month old twins for those 3 days and I don't go online while they're here. at night, after supper / homework / baths / bedtime / tidy up, i barely have enough time to track my food/exercise and keep up with my email / face book and get myself to bed.

sorry ladies, I'm not catching up on 14 pgs. it's late and time for bed. I'm just posting so I have this in "my topics" so i can find you and keep up starting from now.

I hope everyone is well, and I hope I didn't miss any major news.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options

My dr. said you can do it all through pregnancy as long as your whole body isn't in the water. With some of your body in the air your body tempature won't raise as much.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    So I weighed myself today... I was officially down 4 at my last dr. apt. 3.5 weeks ago.... I am now back up those 4 to my pre-pregnancy weight. My dr. said to expect a big gain this month. Its about a lb a week. I am okay with it BUT I know that it came from unhealthy eating and eating too much... SO time to get myself back into healthy trends again TODAY. I am glad I have the exercise challenge at this perfect time. oh... and the 4 lbs went ALL to my belly.... I need to get new shirts.... haha
  • AnneElise
    Options

I also had a mini panic attack...what it if it twins...and what if they are both boys....Lord please let there only be one healthy, perfect baby inside of me!

The first question I asked the ultrasound tech today was, "there's only one in there right?" :laugh:

I can't wait for my first ultrasound!! What if there are two in there??? My father in law is a twin, my hubby has cousin's who are twins (my father in law's brothers kids). Not sure if that will make any difference for me.

Edit- thought i should also mention- when my mother was pregnant with me they told her she was having twins. But at her next ultrasound there was no sign of the 2nd baby. I assume that the technology used in sonograms has changed a lot since 1984.

I did do some research and my FIL should do effect our chances at all. Twins would be exciting!!

Oh my.... Joonz when is your first US? I asked my hubby before we went for ours what he would do if it were twins... I told him I would cry... he said he would go back to work lol (needing more overtime ;D)
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I posted in the beginning of my pregnancy but haven't had much time since then to get in here...
    Hope I can jump in from here. I am 28 weeks along, and so far not much to report.
    I have two little girls, 6 and 3 and expecting a third... girl. Working on a name, but my husband is Spanish and we live in Spain and so we are trying to pick something that works in both languages. We have a Sofia and an Alicia; and for the third we are throwing around Olivia. But still not sure. Lots of "advice" on the name from good intentioned in-laws :) and I've decided to not bring up the topic with them. I'm going to try and stay updated on all the news from here on out. Good luck to the ladies who are coming close to the end :) and sending out strength and patience for those who are just beginning :) I'll see if I can post a pic that's better than the generic one I have now.
    Heather
  • AnneElise
    Options
    I posted in the beginning of my pregnancy but haven't had much time since then to get in here...
    Hope I can jump in from here. I am 28 weeks along, and so far not much to report.
    I have two little girls, 6 and 3 and expecting a third... girl. Working on a name, but my husband is Spanish and we live in Spain and so we are trying to pick something that works in both languages. We have a Sofia and an Alicia; and for the third we are throwing around Olivia. But still not sure. Lots of "advice" on the name from good intentioned in-laws :) and I've decided to not bring up the topic with them. I'm going to try and stay updated on all the news from here on out. Good luck to the ladies who are coming close to the end :) and sending out strength and patience for those who are just beginning :) I'll see if I can post a pic that's better than the generic one I have now.
    Heather

Welcome back! Some of the other ladies on here have had fun in-law name advice :smile:
  • AnneElise
    Options
    3 weeks to go--It has come so fast!!

I am so excited for you! How are you feeling?
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I ate low low low sodium yesterday with alot of water. She said it can take a couple of days for some of the fluid to pass. My blood pressure was great, heart beat was good, and no protein in the urine. Guess it's just getting that time for me.

I've found with sodium that i am either easily at or under my levels or I am WAY (double or so) over. No in betweens! Most of them occur when I eat out rather than at home - like the other day IHOP pancakes - 1600+mg!!

I went to a "healthy" place to eat with my husband yesterday and they had a booklet of all the contents of their foods. I was looking for something under 1000 mg of sodium to eat. There was nothing under 2000mg.

SO I ate a fruit bowl and a bowl of steamed veggies with no butter or seasoning. I knew eating out had lots of sodium like fast food joints, but regular restaurants are just as bad.
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    My doctor said it was okay to take warm baths, though some of my pregnant friends were forbidden to take baths in their late third trimesters and I'm not sure why. I didn't take the time to ask. I also asked my doctor about green tea. He said that it is fine and that it is good for you. I mentioned that I read about a study that said green tea prevents folic acid absorbtion. He said he hadn't heard of that but as long as you take your prenatal at a different time of day it should be fine.

Welcome back Heather! Oh I had a time picking names with my in-laws. They were impossible and very mean about ripping apart all of my favorite names. We finally excluded them from the process and told them exactly why.

Going to the doctor today for my monthly check-up. I'm hoping I don't pass out this time. I can't believe I passed out for no reason last time. I always get so nervous when I'm there and they had kept me waiting in that stuffy room for way too long. I think my new plan of attack is not to get on the examining table first thing. I'll take my ipod and sit on one of the chairs in the corner til the doctor gets there. I'll also make sure I have water and a fiber bar just in case I feel nauseous.

After the appointment I'm going to work for a few hours before meeting up with the hubby and leaving town for the weekend! We spontaneously decided to go visit his brother in Charleston. I'm so excited to take my puppy to the beach!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I've taken hot bath's since day one. I still take them, mind you my husband has to help me out of the tub cause I'm so round now. But it is the only thing that relaxes me. My belly pokes far out of the water and I don't get it so hot it would get my blood pressure up.

It goes along with common sense, my grandmother thinks you shouldn't have sex, hang out clothes, lift your arms above your head, run, exercise, lift weights, etc....on and on and on.