Getting discouraged. Lean bulk or cut? What should I do?

Options

Replies

• va_01
    va_01 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm just surprised he suggests starting at 50% of your 1 rep max. I am just not used to that way of thinking!! (Probably the reason for my non progression??) i feel like most people would say to go "harder". And if you could lift more "you didn't do enough"
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    va_01 wrote: »
    Wow I'm just surprised he suggests starting at 50% of your 1 rep max. I am just not used to that way of thinking!! (Probably the reason for my non progression??) i feel like most people would say to go "harder". And if you could lift more "you didn't do enough"

Most people are Bros. We're not Bros. He's not a Bro.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    This actually doesn't make much sense to me, unless I'm interpreting what it means wrong. In my case, if I lift at 50% of my estimated 1 rep max, I'd be doing 20-25 reps (perhaps even more).
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This actually doesn't make much sense to me, unless I'm interpreting what it means wrong. In my case, if I lift at 50% of my estimated 1 rep max, I'd be doing 20-25 reps (perhaps even more).

No. Say your 1rm is 200 lbs.... you start with it at 100 lbs and progress forward from there as a loose example and keep the same 5x5 progression.

5x5 @ 100
    5x5 @ 105
    5x5 @ 110

etc.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options

No. Say your 1rm is 200 lbs.... you start with it at 100 lbs and progress forward from there as a loose example and keep the same 5x5 progression.

5x5 @ 100
    5x5 @ 105
    5x5 @ 110

etc.
    That works if the 1rm is high enough. Mine is around 70 lbs, but I can lift 40 lbs for at least 20 reps. To be doing 5 reps, I would probably need to be close to 60 lbs, which is over 80% of 1rm.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Also keep in mind it was designed as a beginner progressive resistance program. While the OP is not new to lifting, he has not been able to follow proper linear progression and will likely greatly benefit from following a beginner program as prescribed. Others who are at a more intermediate program may not benefit as much from a program as stronglifts.
  • LolBroScience
    edited November 2014
    Options

5x5 @ 100
    5x5 @ 105
    5x5 @ 110

etc.
    That works if the 1rm is high enough. Mine is around 70 lbs, but I can lift 40 lbs for at least 20 reps. To be doing 5 reps, I would probably need to be close to 60 lbs, which is over 80% of 1rm.

No, you would just do 5 reps because the program calls for 5 reps. You're not using a sliding scale here for reps and their corresponding percentages. It's laid out for you already.
  • auddii
    Options

5x5 @ 100
    5x5 @ 105
    5x5 @ 110

etc.
    No, you start at five reps and then you stop. Even if you feel you can do more. Then, the next time you do 45, and the time after that 50. It actually progresses to rather difficult pretty quickly. As a woman, I was not able to do 5lb increases except for the first few weeks and then started using fractional weights so I could increase by 2.5lb increments.

The program feels very easy and kind of "pointless" the first few weeks, but that is definitely not the case. That is also the time you should be double and triple checking your form as correct form will not only help prevent injury but will also allow for greater increases in strength in the future.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

5x5 @ 100
    5x5 @ 105
    5x5 @ 110

etc.
    No, you start at five reps and then you stop. Even if you feel you can do more. Then, the next time you do 45, and the time after that 50. It actually progresses to rather difficult pretty quickly. As a woman, I was not able to do 5lb increases except for the first few weeks and then started using fractional weights so I could increase by 2.5lb increments.

The program feels very easy and kind of "pointless" the first few weeks, but that is definitely not the case. That is also the time you should be double and triple checking your form as correct form will not only help prevent injury but will also allow for greater increases in strength in the future.

Totes jelly...I don't have fractionals :s
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    Oh ok. So in starting out with a program like that, the idea is not to necessarily be lifting 'heavy' at the beginning, correct? That makes more sense to me. I had been wondering for a while why a beginner would start off lifting heavy for only 5 reps, but now I see.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Oh ok. So in starting out with a program like that, the idea is not to necessarily be lifting 'heavy' at the beginning, correct? That makes more sense to me. I had been wondering for a while why a beginner would start off lifting heavy for only 5 reps, but now I see.

It's a beginner program so it's intent on establishing correct form and building the movements.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I was doing an edited version of icf 5x5 but it basically turned into my own thing. An A/B Style workout 3x / week: (modified now and then. Switching between 5x5 and 8-10x3 for reps and sets every other week or so recently)

hi, since your current workout and meal plan isn't working how about a self evaluation?

I recommend that you switch to a Leg/ Glute Day, followed by a Chest/Arms, followed by a cardio day, followed by a Leg / Glute Day, followed by a Back / Shoulders Day; a 5 day split routine to ensure muscle recovery and muscle growth.

This is the kind of split where you blow out the muscle groups with INTENSE resistance training.

Keep your maintenance calories where you are at right now. See how the workout split changes your body in two weeks. (take measurements! before and after the 2 week training).

If you start getting definition then you will know it's the intensity of training that needs to be continued. If you get nothing in 2 weeks then time to change everything up!

happy training! - coachteresacpt
  • LolBroScience
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I was doing an edited version of icf 5x5 but it basically turned into my own thing. An A/B Style workout 3x / week: (modified now and then. Switching between 5x5 and 8-10x3 for reps and sets every other week or so recently)

hi, since your current workout and meal plan isn't working how about a self evaluation?

I recommend that you switch to a Leg/ Glute Day, followed by a Chest/Arms, followed by a cardio day, followed by a Leg / Glute Day, followed by a Back / Shoulders Day; a 5 day split routine to ensure muscle recovery and muscle growth.

This is the kind of split where you blow out the muscle groups with INTENSE resistance training.

Keep your maintenance calories where you are at right now. See how the workout split changes your body in two weeks. (take measurements! before and after the 2 week training).

If you start getting definition then you will know it's the intensity of training that needs to be continued. If you get nothing in 2 weeks then time to change everything up!

Why
  • auddii
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Ignore the nonsense above. Because it's nonsense.

Blow splits
    Muscle blow out
    Change things if you don't see changes after 2 weeks.

Please. Leave.
    And here I thought the thread wasn't going to be entertaining after they removed the *kitten* photos...
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    Well, according to her bio she should know what she's talking about.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Well, according to her bio she should know what she's talking about.

agreed
  • PwrLftr82
    Options

Blow splits
    Muscle blow out

Please. Leave.
    And here I thought the thread wasn't going to be entertaining after they removed the *kitten* photos...

MFP is seriously lacking these days...
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Blow splits
    Muscle blow out

Please. Leave.

You can always PM them?
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Blow splits
    Muscle blow out

Please. Leave.

You can always PM them?

LMFAO. Is that a request? :p