Paleo vs Eatting clean?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    removing foods you have a medical reaction to =/= clean eating.

:drinker:

• BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Pumpkin Pie Label for :"home made pumpkin pie"

INGREDIENTS: Skim Milk, Cream, Sugar, Pumpkin, Pie Crust {Enriched Flour, Shortening (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oils), Sugar, Water, corn Startch, Salt Coconut Oil, Pasteurized Eggs, Corn syrup, Brown Sugar, Annatto [ Natural Color, Stabilizer [Celluolse Gum, Carob Bean Gum, Carrageenan, Guar Gum, Dextrose, Salt], Lemon Juice Concentrate, Cellulose Gum, Natural Flavors, Spices.

To me, that seems like a highly processed food item. "Not Clean"

When we make pumpkin pie at home the can we start with say this:

INGREDIENTS: Pumpkin

lulz.

The stabilizers and gums are just for processing, and equivalent to basically nothing. Besides, I've seen most of those gums for sale at hippy shops, because they're "healthful supplements", same with the dextrose.

So what's your boggle, citizen? Are you just seeing gums and a -trose and having a little freak out for the fun?

Yes I know what all those ingredients are and have used some at home. Simply an example of the simple vs. the over complicated. You should consider dropping the condescending attitude. Not well taken and not deserved!!!!!!!!!!!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I, for one, am fascinated by the argument that pumpkin from a can qualifies as eating clean.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

INGREDIENTS: Skim Milk, Cream, Sugar, Pumpkin, Pie Crust {Enriched Flour, Shortening (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oils), Sugar, Water, corn Startch, Salt Coconut Oil, Pasteurized Eggs, Corn syrup, Brown Sugar, Annatto [ Natural Color, Stabilizer [Celluolse Gum, Carob Bean Gum, Carrageenan, Guar Gum, Dextrose, Salt], Lemon Juice Concentrate, Cellulose Gum, Natural Flavors, Spices.

lulz.

The stabilizers and gums are just for processing, and equivalent to basically nothing. Besides, I've seen most of those gums for sale at hippy shops, because they're "healthful supplements", same with the dextrose.

So what's your boggle, citizen? Are you just seeing gums and a -trose and having a little freak out for the fun?

Yes I know what all those ingredients are and have used some at home. Simply an example of the simple vs. the over complicated. You should consider dropping the condescending attitude. Not well taken and not deserved!!!!!!!!!!!

The internet... you must be new here
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I, for one, am fascinated by the argument that pumpkin from a can qualifies as eating clean.

Beer comes in a can too! I guess in the infinite revolving door definition of clean eating I think of clean eating as being "more" simple.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited November 2014
    Options

:D

Yep, that was a classic, even by MFP standards.

:drinker:

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

lulz.

Oh it was deserved. I'm not very kind to people who chicken little over nothing. Your example was horrid fyi. You uncovered precisely nothing that was questionable.

!!!111!!!111!!!oneone!!

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

lulz.

The internet... you must be new here

BlackTimber consider this a compliment. I have fun exchanging condescending remarks with people like this, because bullying bullies is fun to me. But I really respect those like you who keep their manners.

Not so much a bullying remark as it is a "learn to deal with it because the internet isn't going to change for you" remark. If you want to be offended by insignificant comments over the internet all good, I personally don't shed a tear.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    All I know for sure is that after I stopped eating fake weight-watcher type "diet" snacks (100 calorie snack packs too), my cholesterol level plummeted. Do what works for you and unless they are paying your bills, pay them b*tches no mind!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    All I know for sure is that after I stopped eating fake weight-watcher type "diet" snacks (100 calorie snack packs too), my cholesterol level plummeted. Do what works for you and unless they are paying your bills, pay them b*tches no mind!

How do I know if they're fake or not? I just bought some 100 calorie snack packs of nuts. Some are just roasted nuts, and others have a vanilla coating. Is there some specific ingredient I should look out for, or does the fact that they come in a big package, broken into individual packages, automatically eliminate them from a healthy diet?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

My weight and cholesterol went up when I ate 100 calorie snacks because I can put quite a few of them away at a time.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I, for one, am fascinated by the argument that pumpkin from a can qualifies as a pumpkin pie. Pretty sure that is just pumpkin puree. There needs to be a crust, at a minimum, to qualify as pie.

• SnuggleSmacks
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

My weight and cholesterol went up when I ate 100 calorie snacks because I can put quite a few of them away at a time.

You must have been eating the fake ones. Real ones don't make you gain weight.

(Also, you made me LOL hard.)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    They were comparing a premade frozen pumpkin pie to a can of pureed pumpkin.

Because those are totally the same thing, right?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

I, for one, am fascinated by the argument that pumpkin from a can qualifies as a pumpkin pie. Pretty sure that is just pumpkin puree. There needs to be a crust, at a minimum, to qualify as pie.

My crust has a few ingredients, and then I add a sweetener and some spices to the pumpkin, so it ends up having a few more than 5 ingredients, making it unclean. Downright dirty, even.

Very, very dirty.

Here....let me put a little something on you....

tumblr_mcgxq0YZ4R1rxgaoqo5_r1_250.gif
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

My crust has a few ingredients, and then I add a sweetener and some spices to the pumpkin, so it ends up having a few more than 5 ingredients, making it unclean. Downright dirty, even.

Very, very dirty.

Here....let me put a little something on you....

tumblr_mcgxq0YZ4R1rxgaoqo5_r1_250.gif

Unless you're actually squeezing honey directly out of a bee, any sweetener you use is processed as well.

And actually.. the bee created the honey by digesting and puking it up! Processed!!

CURSE YOU, PROCESSED FOODS!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options

How do I know if they're fake or not? I just bought some 100 calorie snack packs of nuts. Some are just roasted nuts, and others have a vanilla coating. Is there some specific ingredient I should look out for, or does the fact that they come in a big package, broken into individual packages, automatically eliminate them from a healthy diet?

I'm not talking about roasted nuts...those are freaking awesome. I'm talking about 100 calorie "diet" foods that are super processed. I was into lean cuisines and weight watchers snacks with thousand ingredient labels. I was also pretty thin but had off the chart cholesterol. When I stopped eating that garbage, my cholesterol went down to normal levels. I was eating tons of high cholesterol foods like whole eggs and red meat too.....but still it was much lower so I am assuming it was what I was eating previously.

• Mr_Knight
    Options

I, for one, am fascinated by the argument that pumpkin from a can qualifies as a pumpkin pie. Pretty sure that is just pumpkin puree.

Most of the time, it's not even that, it's a mix of various squashes.

And yep, that meets labelling guidelines, at least in the US.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hey, um, since this thread is basically over anyway, how come nobody commented on the OP's title, and that "eating" only has ONE 'T' in it?

Because fighting spelling errors on hear would be a loosing battle....

And yes, those 2 typos were on purpose.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Hey, um, since this thread is basically over anyway, how come nobody commented on the OP's title, and that "eating" only has ONE 'T' in it?

Because it's against forum rules. At least, it used to be.